READ READ READ.. Very Interesting POV

Empire

Established Member
Reaction score
goten574 said:
Empire said:
goten574 said:
Just to say, there are a few more replies on this thread about Accutane which I made earlier:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/long-t ... try2578222

LOOKS LIKE SOMEONE HAS THICKENED HAIR WITH ACCUTANE!

oli girl on that forum wrote:

"I wasn't on a low dose,but my hair was thicker and grew alot while I was on it,and then 4 months after I stoped it started thinning and falling out some. It's now thinner then when I started the med."

Sounds like a minoxidil effect.

Indeed, but that's one person, now find a few dozen more :innocent:

Kero said:
Is it also possible to take a 20mg capsule/week to get the same results?

I think doses that high will cause hair loss, not hair regrowth

20mg a day is still low dose let alone 20mg a week

G

Sorry I misread, I read that as 20mg a day, not a week. I thought you said Empire that a lose dose like 10mg is enough for this to work?

helpmyhair

Established Member
Reaction score
Empire, just so you know, the chapped lips may never go away.. its 6 years after I stopped accutane for ance, and I still need to apply vasaline (chapstick doesn't really even work) to my lips after every shower... but its routine now, so not a big deal.

Pantothenic Acid Update:

So its been about 3 - 4 weeks since I stated on 500mg pantothenic acid a day. I've also been using 5000mcg Biotin with it. Upon starting this, I was loosing around 30 hairs everytime I rubbed my scalp over the sink... a couple weeks later, only about 5 hairs or so.. and now for the past week and a half, zero hairs falling in the sink after intense rubbing! Lets hope this holds up!

In addition, I've been using Sulsom Blue shampoo in the shower and after getting out, I use a scalp lotion my doctor prescribed... My Doctor said that this combination will keep the scalp healthy... and I feel it has greatly reduced inflammation. So it may be aiding as well.

Empire

Established Member
Reaction score
helpmyhair said:
Empire, just so you know, the chapped lips may never go away.. its 6 years after I stopped accutane for ance, and I still need to apply vasaline (chapstick doesn't really even work) to my lips after every shower... but its routine now, so not a big deal.

Pantothenic Acid Update:

So its been about 3 - 4 weeks since I stated on 500mg pantothenic acid a day. I've also been using 5000mcg Biotin with it. Upon starting this, I was loosing around 30 hairs everytime I rubbed my scalp over the sink... a couple weeks later, only about 5 hairs or so.. and now for the past week and a half, zero hairs falling in the sink after intense rubbing! Lets hope this holds up!

In addition, I've been using Sulsom Blue shampoo in the shower and after getting out, I use a scalp lotion my doctor prescribed... My Doctor said that this combination will keep the scalp healthy... and I feel it has greatly reduced inflammation. So it may be aiding as well.

I have now read over 1000 posts by ppl claiming what Accutane did and didn't do to them.

I've concluded one thing. It is DEFINATELY an individual thing. No two cases are the same. Well generally speaking.

Kero

Reaction score
But there's no difference, if i take 10mg twice a week or 20mg once a week, right?
And both ways are definitely safe for the hair?
I just want to make everything 100% sure

Empire

Established Member
Reaction score
Kero said:
But there's no difference, if i take 10mg twice a week or 20mg once a week, right?
And both ways are definitely safe for the hair?
I just want to make everything 100% sure

Yeah there is.

20mg is safe for everybody.. except for the minority few who were affected outta pure bad luck

10mg is safe for everybody.. except for the minority few who were freakishly unexplanably effected.

The lower the better. Even if a drug is 99.9% safe.. imagine the poor soul who turned out to be part of that 0.1%

xcvq

Reaction score
Your theory of hairloss would be pretty good if it weren't for the fatal flaw that hairs taken from balding areas of a scalp when they come in cantact with DHT they express negative growth factors, whereas non-balding hairs do not. This is hairs plucked from a head so there's no immune system around to kill them.

You should also do research on Accutane, you seem to think biotin is the answer to the hairloss and it clearly is not. I've wondered over the past 9 long years how it causes this hairloss. It's really hard to figure out since the drugs effects are so broad it effects so many parts of the body, notably parts with high cell division, it was created as a chemotherapy drug afterall. And it messes with so many genes it's really complicated. I think though, it has a lot to do with massive inflammation. Accutane has been known to screw around with the immune system.

Anyone considering using this drug should be prudent and know the possible side effects.

http://www.accutaneaction.com/Studies/index.html

Kero

Reaction score
Thanks.

Maybe there is somebody here, who knows a good source for accutane on the net without a prescription? I think there are no countries where we can get Iso without a prescription, right? Damn, my Doctor would never prescribe it to me for hairloss >.> and i have just mild acne

Empire

Established Member
Reaction score
xcvq said:
Your theory of hairloss would be pretty good if it weren't for the fatal flaw that hairs taken from balding areas of a scalp when they come in cantact with DHT they express negative growth factors, whereas non-balding hairs do not. This is hairs plucked from a head so there's no immune system around to kill them.

You should also do research on Accutane, you seem to think biotin is the answer to the hairloss and it clearly is not. I've wondered over the past 9 long years how it causes this hairloss. It's really hard to figure out since the drugs effects are so broad it effects so many parts of the body, notably parts with high cell division, it was created as a chemotherapy drug afterall. And it messes with so many genes it's really complicated. I think though, it has a lot to do with massive inflammation. Accutane has been known to screw around with the immune system.

Anyone considering using this drug should be prudent and know the possible side effects.

http://www.accutaneaction.com/Studies/index.html

Can you show me a study or link that proves that this kind of research has been done? I have never heard of a plucked hair being exposed to DHT to assess it's reaction...

Bryan, have you heard of such studies?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Empire said:
Can you show me a study or link that proves that this kind of research has been done? I have never heard of a plucked hair being exposed to DHT to assess it's reaction...

Sure, there are studies in which cultured hair follicles from humans and stumptailed macaques were exposed to androgens and antiandrogens in vitro, and they showed the expected responses (suppressed by androgens, enhanced by antiandrogens).

Empire

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
Empire said:

Sure, there are studies in which cultured hair follicles from humans and stumptailed macaques were exposed to androgens and antiandrogens in vitro, and they showed the expected responses (suppressed by androgens, enhanced by antiandrogens).

If the suppression and enhansion is directly related to the growth, then these type of studies indicate that the immune system plays no role?

Doesn't make sense.. it gives no need for the inflammation nor immune response if the supp/enh. theory is true and directly linked to the loss of follicle.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Empire said:
If the suppression and enhansion is directly related to the growth, then these type of studies indicate that the immune system plays no role?

Not necessarily. Studies like that show that androgens and antiandrogens _do_ affect the growth of hair follicles even in vitro, but they don't really rule-out the possibility that the immune system may also be affecting them at the same time.

Empire said:
Doesn't make sense.. it gives no need for the inflammation nor immune response if the supp/enh. theory is true and directly linked to the loss of follicle.

I agree that I don't see any real NEED for the immune system theory at the present time, but that certainly doesn't prove that it's absolutely incorrect.

I've posted about this before on hairloss forums: people keep talking about the immune system supposedly "attacking" hair follicles, but I've seen no clear proof or even evidence that it really does do that. The closest thing that comes to that would be the much-discussed study about how balding human hair follicles transplanted onto immune-deficient mice regrow comparably well as non-balding hair follicles, but that's about it. I've never seen any other study which suggests or even hints that the immune system "attacks" hair follicles.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Empire said:
Bryan can you direct me to some studies so I can read for myself?

Here's one good example of such a study:

J Invest Dermatol. 1993 Jul;101(1 Suppl):98S-105S.
"Sex hormones and antiandrogens influence in vitro growth of dermal papilla cells and outer root sheath keratinocytes of human hair follicles." Kiesewetter F, Arai A, Schell H.
Department of Dermatology, University of Erlangen-Nürnberg, Germany.

Anagen hair bulb papillae, interfollicular dermal fibroblasts, and interfollicular keratinocytes isolated from fronto-parietal scalp biopsies as well as outer root sheath keratinocytes from plucked anagen hairs were separately grown in subculture for 14 d. The effect of different concentrations (2.4 nM-17.3 microM) of testosterone, dihydrotestosterone, and the antiandrogens cyproterone acetate or 17 alpha-propylmesterolone on growth behavior of the mesenchymal and epithelial cell types of the hair follicle were comparatively studied by means of growth curves, cell doubling times, and 3H-thymidine incorporation. For control, all cell lines were subcultured in hormone-free medium. Testosterone and dihydrotestosterone (345 nM) significantly reduced proliferation of papilla cells compared with dermal fibroblasts (p < 0.01) and outer root sheath keratinocytes compared with interfollicular keratinocytes (p < 0.01), as well as compared with cells cultured in control medium. Low concentrations of 17 beta-estradiol were ineffective, whereas doses of 180 nM 17 beta-estradiol increased the growth velocities of all cell types, especially of papilla cells, compared with dermal fibroblasts. Low doses of either cyproterone acetate (24 nM) or 17 alpha-propylmesterolone (29 nM) induced a growth enhancement, especially of papilla cells and outer root sheath keratinocytes, whereas high doses of cyproterone (1.20 microM) and 17 alpha-propylmesterolone (1.45 microM) had opposite effects. These changes were significant between papilla cells and dermal fibroblasts as well as between outer root sheath keratinocytes and interfollicular keratinocytes. Applying increasing doses of androgens to cyproterone acetate (24 nM)- or 17 alpha-propylmesterolone (29 nM)-containing media neutralized the growth-stimulating effect of antiandrogens, particularly in papilla cells and outer root sheath keratinocytes. However, minor differences between testosterone and dihydrotestosterone effects on cell growth were found. The data clearly demonstrate that the changes of in vitro growth of hair follicle cells depend on the concentrations of androgens and antiandrogens, as higher doses of both antiandrogens tested retarded the cell proliferation similar to testosterone or dihydrotestosterone. The papilla cells and outer root sheath keratinocytes reacted more sensitively to the hormones tested, thereby confirming the concept of a distinct androgen sensitivity of these specialized hair follicle cells.

striker9

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Bryan, you seem like the best member around here.

Can i know what regimen do you use?

Thanks for the advice in advance!

ezekiel

Reaction score
Bryan said:
I've posted about this before on hairloss forums: people keep talking about the immune system supposedly "attacking" hair follicles, but I've seen no clear proof or even evidence that it really does do that. The closest thing that comes to that would be the much-discussed study about how balding human hair follicles transplanted onto immune-deficient mice regrow comparably well as non-balding hair follicles, but that's about it. I've never seen any other study which suggests or even hints that the immune system "attacks" hair follicles.

That would be the way alopcia areata works. At least wikipedia says: 'The condition is thought to be an autoimmune disorder in which the body attacks its own hair follicles and suppresses or stops hair growth'. Considering the mice-study the immune system MIGHT also play a role in androgenetic alopecia.
Well... let me think about that again... do mice have that much DHT in their bloodstream to cause a transplanted human hair follicle to shrink assuming their immune system to be fine??

Empire

Established Member
Reaction score
Well what I have to report is quite astonishing.

In between hairs on my scalp.. I am starting to feel and see little "pricks".. The skin is starting to elevate and I can feel tiny prickly hairs between hairs that are already there.

Axl_Rose

Established Member
Reaction score
Empire said:
Well what I have to report is quite astonishing.

In between hairs on my scalp.. I am starting to feel and see little "pricks".. The skin is starting to elevate and I can feel tiny prickly hairs between hairs that are already there.

Yeah I've got that to when i run my fingers between my hair,feels prickly like there's small hairs there, i figured it was just the hair lost from a shed growing back