READ READ READ.. Very Interesting POV

Jimmy83

Reaction score
MY EXPERIENCE:
Ive been on isotretinoin now for 7 months for adult acne and have not noticed any change in my hair besides vellus hairs along my temples. (front hairline + crown seem the same) This being said... I've been on 5% minoxidil and 1mg finasteride for 3 years now. (I'm 26, NW2 with slight vertex thinning)

I take 20mg a day and just became acne free (99%) about a week ago. (Plan on doing every other day after new years)

The only side effects I've noticed are chapped lips, sore lower back and slight depression / memory loss.

WARNING:
Isotretinoin but not antibiotic treatment was associated with decreased brain metabolism in the orbitofrontal cortex (–21% change versus 2% change for antibiotic), a brain area known to mediate symptoms of depression. ( http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15863802 )

While I've noticed decreased memory and slight depression I can not be 100% certain it was due to the isotretinoin.

I'm not saying this stuff helps with hairloss nor do I support it's use for anything other than a "last resort" acne cure. But I thought I'd give my experience with this stuff and hopefully update this thread again if I notice any changes.

NOTE: If you plan on self-medicating, through my 'research' I've found Cipla to be the best generic that's easily obtainable. Though I've read that the potency is more like 10mg-15mg.

WILD CONJECTURE:
Acne is a disease of pilosebaceous units in the skin. It is thought to be caused by the interplay of four factors. Excessive sebum production secondary to sebaceous gland hyperplasia is the first abnormality to occur. Subsequent hyperkeratinization of the hair follicle prevents normal shedding of the follicular keratinocytes, which then obstruct the follicle and form an inapparent microcomedo. Lipids and cellular debris soon accumulate within the blocked follicle. This microenvironment encourages colonization of Propionibacterium acnes, which provokes an immune response through the production of numerous inflammatory mediators. Inflammation is further enhanced by follicular rupture and subsequent leakage of lipids, bacteria, and fatty acids into the dermis. ( http://www.aafp.org/afp/2004/0501/p2123.html )

It's possible isotretinoin prevents some form of hyperkeratinization that's brought on by the effect of DHT on your hair follicles.

elan164

Reaction score
squeegee said:
Here is a good link about the hypothesis of sebum and Hair loss!

http://www.againstalopeciaandbaldness.com/

so what is a "natural" way to drain this fluid from the top of the head short of growing your hair long? I know there's accutane but drugs are a last resort for me. Already was on proscar for a year with no results but a slow increase of side effects. Im already thinning on top so growing my hair long probably wont do it and will look horrible.

Im also confused over this:

People use nizoral (as do I) which "dries" out the scalp, but then theres also people that say you want oils in your hair, so they rub in almond oil, coconut oil etc, which is it

Mr Clean

Reaction score
I don't think Boar Bristle Brush would help. How would that remove sebum?

Keep in mind guys, if I recall correctly from the beginning of this thread, the doctor from Egypt was talking about how this was bacteria feeding off of the sebum on a microscopic level and I believe he said something like below the skin.

Nizoral works supposedly by being a mild DHT blocker. Apparently the theory goes that DHT creates more sebum, which feeds the bacteria, which causes the inflammatory response, which causes the immune system to attack the hair follics (whew!)

Jimmy83, Accutane has been heavily theorized to cause depression. You can check it out on Wikipedia. Also, Accutane might just help us maintain and not regrow any hair, so it might have been working for you.

elan164, I don't think growing your hair long would do any good because the sebum will still be coming out of your scalp for the bacteria to feed on it. This thing about long haired people not going bald is just a conjecture/theory, and personally I don't think its true.

I'm thinking isotretinoin might be good as a topical. What do you guys think???

G

I mentioned Boar Bristle Brush because I hear it spreads sebum evenly over the scalp, that's all. :)

armandein

Established Member
Reaction score
goten574 said:
I mentioned Boar Bristle Brush because I hear it spreads sebum evenly over the scalp, that's all. :)

I think that it is possible to avoid the detention of sebum flow brushing the hair, Brushing stimulates circulation and brings oils to the ends of shafts. It also removes dead cells.
Armando

bezerra

Established Member
Reaction score
Any news on it? Is anyone actually trying these low dosages?

I took Accutanne last year and I remember that in the 1-2 months the hair loss decreased a lot, but after the 4-5-6 month it increased a lot!

eastwood54321

Reaction score
I posted several weeks ago that I noticed my hairloss issues really seemed to start and accelerate after I finished taking Accutane.

For anyone who didn't read my previous post, I used low dose Accutane of 1 20mg pill a day (doctors would recommend 80mg a day for my weight) and it completely cleared my skin. During this time, no problems with my hair at all.

I know the Accutane is already affecting my oil production and have seen my lips become very dry. With some lip balm it is really no problem at all. Anyway, even though it has only been a very short time I would confidently say there is a difference since taking Accutane.

I have no scientific way of measuring this, except the hair I see in my hands when I shower, or comb. Before this experiment there were considerable single hairs in my hands, in the dozens. You are supposed to lose 80 hairs a day in total, I was losing many more than that and my hairline was steadily changing in just 6 months. Now when I shower I see just literally a fraction of what I was seeing, almost what I would call normal levels of just a few hairs. If it is placebo, well great, anything that stops it, but I certainly saw no placebo type benefits when I suffered with bad skin for 10 years and I tried ridiculous numbers of potential solutions.

I am naturally very sceptical, I am not someone who believes every kind of new fad or hocum I read on the internet, but I would be amazed if my hair problems and Accutane had no link as the timing was too convenient for pure coincidence.

As I say I am not someone easily convinced, or prepared to believe something without some kind of evidence, logic or both. I am a professional futures trader, logic, evidence and statistical advantages are in my makeup and why I am good at my job.

In this instance there is certainly evidence of a link, both when I started losing hair and even now just a few weeks after reintroducing Accutane. The logic is hard to reconcile, but certain links between Accutane and male pattern baldness can be made and it really needs experts to fully investigate it.

I am not here to recommend everyone try low dose Accutane for hair loss. Anyone considering it should fully investigate and decide whether it is right for them.

I will post again in time, but I would be very interested to hear from anyone else with similar experiences.

Mr Clean

Reaction score
Eastwood that is great stuff to hear. When you went back on it, what dosage did you use the second time around? Was it again 20mg a day, every day???

Did you notice any side effects other than dry lips???

Has anybody else tried to use this drug with success?

raj47

Established Member
Reaction score
i had very bad acne. its left with big scar its too painful when you had it at your backside this was happened two years ago.

after my dutas and finasteride there no more acne in my body or face but still facing small pimples in my face .one year back i had terrible amount of oil in my head with acne in my back..

nowadays its lowered but i thought of using accutane but fear of using by its side effects .

please anybody taking it can you share the side effects with me btw im from india i can easily afford cipla brand ..

G k

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey, I just read this entire thread and I find it very intriguing.

Not only because the OP is some crypto freemason, but it seems there might be some validity to this accutane theory.

Please to all the guinea pigs: please let us know how it is going. I am interested in trying this.

Does anyone know if Propecia and a Accutane can be taken at the same time? Also what would be a good dosage for accutane. I did note the OP was taking 20 mg a week(10mg twice).

So in otherwords...>>>>BUMP!>>>>

bezerra

Established Member
Reaction score
G k said:
Hey, I just read this entire thread and I find it very intriguing.

Not only because the OP is some crypto freemason, but it seems there might be some validity to this accutane theory.

Please to all the guinea pigs: please let us know how it is going. I am interested in trying this.

Does anyone know if Propecia and a Accutane can be taken at the same time? Also what would be a good dosage for accutane. I did note the OP was taking 20 mg a week(10mg twice).

So in otherwords...>>>>BUMP!>>>>

There's no problem taking them at the same time, BUT, both are hepatic medication. So you should avoid taking them together.

Dashtoronto

Established Member
Reaction score
I was talking to a girl who knew alot about exfoliation and I asked where a guy can get a cream that can reduce skin's oil production?

she told me this:

"try sephora (i know eatons have sephora) in the skin care section they have i think at least 3 lines of skincare for men
there are also unisex type of skincare companies too (look for german and swiss and french made stuff they tend to be better quality)
just ask the people working there on what you should use to reduce oilyness
but most of the products work by drying your skin out so the pores tighten and less oil comes out to the surface so don't go for anything extreme like a high percentage of salicylic acid or anything containing alochols because drying your skin out too much will only cause it to get more oily (compensation)"

She also says:

"personally im not a fan of any of the 'primers' because of those reasons so i just use a lot of water based sh*t and blot my face with paper towel or something if it gets shiny"

She also says that,

"accutane is really bad for your liver
unless you suffer from cysts i would not do it
tea-tree oil is really good for drying up skin and fighting acne, my friend who used to be on accutane said it worked even better and without side effects"

----------------

***CORRECTION***

Let me make a correction in this post. DO NOT try sephora products. I tried it to take control of my skin's oil production on my scalp. The sephora product is way too thick and grimy. It does more damage than good. Instead, I got this:

http://www.makeupartistschoice.com/products/Acne_Pore_Minimizer_w_Sepicontrol_A5-480-54.html

This stuff is alot more liquid based and it disappears without a trace after a good hour or so. Again I don't work for these makeupartistschoice people or i am not affiliated with the company. I'm just trying to grow my hair back. I have nothing to gain or benefit financially. Do what you want. I do recommend the Sepicontrol thing. I do not recommend Sephora. Just don't want people going to sephora due to this post.

----------------------------------------
There's my two cents for you guys.

I'm going to give this a shot. Honestly, I don't have very much faith in it. I had alot of faith in 5% minoxidil. I had alot of faith in 15% minoxidil. I had alot of faith in finasteride. I had alot of faith in spironolactone cream. They all disappointed me. So, I don't have alot of faith in this. But I'm going to try. Don't think its going to work.

G k

Established Member
Reaction score
Actually I apply tea tree oil to my face daily, with a moisturizer. It keeps it very clean, but also moist. Unlike using just water to wash, which really dries it out. The tea tree oil has a way of destroying oil, but also retaining moisture. Its amazing stuff. It keeps the blackheads on my nose to a minimum, and pores very small. But you need to be persistent in its application.

But I've also used it on my frontal hairline when the rogaine was causing irritation. It would almost instantly calm it down and clear it up. And I also noticed less shedding and a more healthy feeling hairline.

Perhaps tea tree oil, topically applied, might aide in minimizing hair loss via a very clean and healthy scalp with reduced sebum?

I am gonna try this out first I think, because there are no side effects and I am already on propecia with very good results.

n0142248

Reaction score
Any of the guys who started taking low dose accutane actually shown any signs of improvement?

Also would emu oil work in the same way as tee tree oil? anti inflamantory effects?

Cheers

(1st Post!!) :)