READ READ READ.. Very Interesting POV

maup

Reaction score
Wouldn't it be better to make a accutane topical instead of taking it oral? I took accutane for acne years ago and that stuff is very bad for your health. Especially if you have to use it forever like fina.

Oknow

My Regimen
Reaction score
canada1313 said:
Hi Guys I have been a lurker on this board for a while but I thought this thread was very interesting and did a bunch of looking into those taking low dose accutane for hair loss and found that over at hairlosshelp back in the early 2000's there were a couple of posters who used low dose accutane and had nothing but positive things to say about it. In fact the one poster guillermo over there who was mentioned by someone above began using it in 1998 at a dose of 20 mg per day and even in 2006 he was still calling it the most effective thing he had ever used for hair loss. Now being a skeptical type I read a ton of his posts to make sure he wasn't a total quack and found him to be one of the most intelligent posters I have come across on these boards. The guy worked in a pharmacy and with his access to all of the different drugs he seemed to be way ahead of his time in some of the treatments he was researching and using back in the early 2000s. They even reference a study showing accutane reduces androgen receptors by 2.5 times.

Here is a link to his posts over there and if go go through them you will see him reference low dose accutane or isotretinoin the ingredient in accutane in a very positive light numerous times over a very long period.
http://www.hairlosshelp.com/FORUMS/sear ... TMP=Linear

Also if you do a search there are a couple of other guys over there saying the same thing.

After looking into this for a while I started 10 mg accutane per day two weeks ago today. My scalp itch had completely gone away after one week and looking under my hair today my scalp looks much healthier. I am 29 with some diffuse thinning but caught it early and have a decent amount of hair still. I have been on minoxidil 9 months as well as finasteride for 17 months and while I have had periods where I have felt my hair improved, I have constantly been shedding more hair than prior to meds since week one of finasteride. I understand that sheds are a part of the game and can attest to the fact that my hair has at times looked much better than baseline even while shedding big but it has since starting meds always fluctuated a lot it thins thickens thins thickens.

Now for the first time in the last year and a half I dont seem to be shedding at all and havent been for last 6 days. I was very skeptical of accutane when I first read this thread as I did a higher dose for 6 months when younger and while I didnt notice hair loss while on using it dried the f**k out of my lips and I couldnt wait to be off of it (worst 6 months of my adult my life for being able to pick up any pu**y). Well, so far so good after 2 weeks of 10 mg/day no side effects other than scalp itch is gone , a high reduction in shedding and face has cleared up completely from minor acne. I Also added 5000 mcg of biotin/day as accutane can apparently cause a deficiency .

Can you post pics?

Only way to make your claim legit. I mean accutune (or finasteride) for that matter is something that I dont want to mess with unless I was reassured it actually works.

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
surely suspicions have to be raised of this guy turning up, posting one long post throwing support behind one drug then pissing off?

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
surely suspicions have to be raised of this guy turning up, posting one long post throwing support behind one drug then pissing off?

Mr Clean

Reaction score
Hey Guys, has anybody thought that maybe there is some correlation between the side effects of dutasteride and Accutane and how they both might work for hairloss?

I mean one of the main side effects I read repeatedly over and over again at hairsite is that people always complained about dry facial hair like a dry forehead, and a dry beard. I read this multiple times as a side effect. ALSO, I took dutasteride internally as well but stopped after a short while as I felt the effects of gyno starting but I also had a super dry forehead that was peeling, red, and itchy. It was ridiculously bad. I was on it for less than a month so I couldn't tell if it did squat for me.

Now here we have Accutane, which supposedly removes excess oil/sebum from the face/scalp and helps with hair loss. Maybe there really is a correlation between the two. I mean, there are so many friggin drugs out there that if somebody wanted to make up some bullshit and say that a drug helped with hairloss, the chance that it would also mimick the effects of being on dutasteride is kinda slim.

I'm contemplating getting on this stuff myself actualy. If I do, I'll keep you guys all posted. I've lost a sh*t load of hair this year more than any other year and I feel like I'm on my last leg. I also was stressed out like crazy this year for both work and for dating reasons.

Also people, please keep in mind as others have posted before me, just because something works for somebody doesn't mean it will work for somebody else and also there ARE multiple factors that cause hair loss and the people that are on this forum could be having hair loss for any number of reasons. Yes, its mostly genetic, but there are probably multiple forms of genetic hair loss as well.

We really need a system that easily lets you create a profile AND SEARCH for profiles of members that have similar experienes/types of hairloss as you do so you can see what worked for them and what hasn't and try to use what they've used. I mean there are so many factors of hair loss. If I knew somebody had the same type of hair loss as me and had success with a certain type of treatment, I would be 10X more likely to use what he used.

Another thing I want to point out. I heard a few times regarding this thing called Reflex Androgenictiy (sp?) where the body gets used to the chemicals you put into it and just fights back to make things normal again. I think I've experienced something like this. I've tried LOTS AND LOTS of different crap: Revivogen, Nixion, Naturals, all sorts of friggin minoxidil from all sorts of doctors, Propecia, and more crap than I can even think of (been fighting hair loss for 9 years now....and losing). The one thing that has stood out more in my mind than anything else is that on Propecia my hair loss came to a grinding halt right around the 3 month mark (as expected), but started back up again as normal 2-3 weeks later and remained the same again. I've been on Propecia for the longest time, hasn't done squat. I also tried mixing dutasteride with Aloe Vera gel (aka AA) and I read stories from people saying "oh it gives you extremely vivid dreams" and "it makes your hair loss stop after 2 weeks". I thought this was all bull$H!T until I tried it myself and OMG I had EXTREMELY VIVID DREAMS and somehow, somefriggin way, my hairloss stopped again on AA 2 weeks into it and then started back up again about 3-4 weeks down the line again. I think what happened to me with Propecia and applying AA on my scalp might be an example of this reflex androgenicity thing or its my body's weird way of fighting off the drugs I've put into it.

Sorry for rambling on and on, but I wanted to give my 2 cents. Feel free to attack me and tell me how you think I'm an idiot.

BTW, I kinda feel for Empire. I mean he's here trying to help and you guys were verbally bashing him. I mean yeah not everybody was, but a lot of you guys were and if I was him I would be super pissed off too.

Mr Clean

Reaction score
BTW, I ain't no newbie either.... I've been a member on HairLossTalk.com since '02. I just never post.

Fender89

Established Member
Reaction score
I donno man, i've never had problem with acne, my hair is never greasy or oily or anything. I'm pretty sure i don't have excess sebum. My hair is still thinning and falling out :(

Mr Clean

Reaction score
Fender89 said:
I donno man, i've never had problem with acne, my hair is never greasy or oily or anything. I'm pretty sure i don't have excess sebum. My hair is still thinning and falling out :(

You don't necessarily need to have had acne to suffer from hair loss. Also, excess sebum/oily skin in one area doesn't mean its going to happen to all areas of your body. I don't know squat about acne, but I do believe its bacteria that causes acne.

I'm trying a bunch of different things now and in the past to halt my hair loss and none of them worked. They work for others, just not for me. How would we know that Accutane might work for some, but not for all???

oofah

Reaction score
Mr. Clean, your body seems to adapt quickly to finasteride and dutasteride, maybe you should vary/cycle doses to avoid reflex. hypo and maintain positive effects for longer periods.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
I have been applying this for the last 2 months approximately... I am at the end of my second bottle right now and my hair never felt that thick..unbelievable. I apply this stuff just after my shower and dry up really fast. Not greasy also.. Twice a day. Going to order 2 more bottles right now. I totally beleive that sebum is the culprit of hair loss.

http://www.makeupartistschoice.com/prod ... 80-54.html
http://vanwagoner.net/product_literatur ... rol_A5.pdf

They also sell a really cool retinol serum : http://www.makeupartistschoice.com/prod ... 40-54.html

MJT82

Reaction score
rogar6 said:
MJT82, thanks for sharing your accutane experience. Just a couple questions:

What dose and how often do you take it?

What's your diet like?

thanks

I take 20mg pills usually every other day, sometimes I may go two days off, one day on. So I would say I take it, on average, 3 days per week.

My diet isn't that great, I eat mostly what I want, but I am mindful that I shouldn't be an idiot and go to McDonalds every day or always eat Fries with my Burger, etc. This is an area I need to improve though and I'm working on trying to implement a diet along the lines of Dr. Mercola's "No Grain Diet" to see if I see further benefits to my health and hair.

The effectiveness of accutane as probably encouraged me to eat "worse" than I would without it. So I am curious to see how I feel and how my hair does if I get my diet in good disciplined order.

MJT82

Reaction score
elan164 said:
so you are just taking accutane and rogaine? No propecia? Ive been on propecia and nizoral for 9 months. Nothing to report except slightly more receiding in the temples but could be worse if i wasnt on the meds, who knows. I often have an itchy scalp, breakouts around the nose, chin and forehead which i hadnt had before starting propecia. My skin is definitely more oily and i can notice read bumps in my thinning hair.

Correct, the only things I am doing are low dose "generic" accutane, Rogaine Foam (discontinued use of liquid minoxidil due to scalp irritation and messiness), occassional Nizoral shampoo use (i.e. 2 days per week), and I try to take ImmortalHair's top 6 internally...but without very much consistency.

I tried Propecia before and experienced very negative side effects, so I determined that, to me, I would rather be bald and feel like my normal self than have slightly more hair and continue to live with all the side effects which would far outweigh any hair gained.

MJT82

Reaction score
TameOne said:
How do you go about getting a prescription for Accutane since it isn't prescribed for hairloss?

Simple, you get tell them you are getting it to improve your skin and/or reduce the oiliness of your skin. :)

MJT82

Reaction score
JDW said:

I don't come back very often to this (or any other) hairloss related forum because I've found what works for me and can now use that otherwise lost time for different purposes in my life :)

davestep

Reaction score
squeegee said:
I have been applying this for the last 2 months approximately... I am at the end of my second bottle right now and my hair never felt that thick..unbelievable. I apply this stuff just after my shower and dry up really fast. Not greasy also.. Twice a day. Going to order 2 more bottles right now. I totally beleive that sebum is the culprit of hair loss.

They also sell a really cool retinol serum : http://www.makeupartistschoice.com/prod ... 40-54.html

So what are you saying? Do you apply that stuff from 'makeupartistchoice' to your scalp?
or to an existing hair loss product you are using?
what else do you use in your regime?

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
davestep said:
squeegee said:

So what are you saying? Do you apply that stuff from 'makeupartistchoice' to your scalp?
or to an existing hair loss product you are using?
what else do you use in your regime?

Yes applying that stuff directly to my scalp, it gets in really fast... I also mix it sometimes with Super CP serum.. The bottle last forever.. http://www.dianayvonne.com/c=QmyWknoKQk ... _4_oz.html strongest copper peptides on the market... I take internal finasteride 1mg a day... with other bunch of vitamins and supplements... I Use Nizoral every 2-3 days, revivogen shampoo with a good conditioner. Also apply dead sea salts masks twice a week on my scalp..cheap and remove all the sebum, dht and other crap..cheap.. Nanominox once or twice a day also. But I strongly believe that sebum is really the culprit of hair loss... Look carefully at bald guys... Their heads look like a f*****g ice ring!

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
squeegee said:
But I strongly believe that sebum is really the culprit of hair loss... Look carefully at bald guys... Their heads look like a f****ing ice ring!

Correlation does not prove causation.

eastwood54321

Reaction score
This is a very interesting thread. I feel rather than stay a lurker it might be good if I add my own experiences. I am 29 and suffered with moderate acne for 8-10 years, like most who suffer acne, Accutane was the very last thing I wanted to try, all the scare stories put me off, not least possibility of hair loss!

However, I came across a thread where a guy with clearly nothing to gain insisted that ultra low dose Accutane had completely cleared his acne with no nasty side effects. I decided as I'd tried literally everything and waited for almost 10 years for it to go naturally that I would give this a shot. It worked and cleared my skin literally 100% and extremely quickly. Slightly dry lips was the only small side effect. I was and am over the moon. I took just one 20mg pill a day instead of the usual four 20mg pills each day.

I took Accutane in this low dosage for 6 months and stopped back in the April/May. My skin has been almost perfect ever since, although definitely slightly more oily than when I was taking Accutane, but no acne, just an occasional blemish.

The reason I mention all the above, is that ever since I stopped my hair has been receding very noticeably. Now maybe it is just a coincidence, but my gut feeling is there is more to it than that.

There are obvious contradictions in all this, like if it was purely sebum related why then are not all acne sufferers losing their hair and vice versa with why is acne not common among those with thinning hair. Obviously hair loss in the main does not go hand in hand with acne, in fact probably quite the opposite. BUT I am convinced there is some link.

I still have some Accutane and will try one 20mg every other day. I doubt it will cause regrowth but I, like I'm sure all of you here, know how many hairs come out in your hands in the shower, or while combing. I'm certain if there is an appreciable change in this respect I'll notice without a doubt. I'll keep you posted.