Rage's Story (monthly pics included)

Deaner

Reaction score
pleasehelpme, for a 16 year old you've sure got a mouth on you, don'tcha boy?

JP13

Reaction score
Hi There,

I'm completely new to this site and am glad I discovered it!!!
First off I'm 23 and have noticed my hair loss for the past year. At one point about a yr ago I decided to do something about it, I went to a hair transplant clinic after seeing an advertisment. At that point he directed me towards a transplant and put me on proscar and wanted me to book an appt with him, I did take the proscar for like 5 months then stopped using it for about 3 months... sorry to drag on but I went back on it about a month and a half ago noticed the limpness right away which is tough for my gf to deal with. I was supposed to go in for my transplant a week ago and backed out last second after starting to read this site, basically what im looking for here is some direction, should i order rogaine? should I just go in for the transplant? Im so confused and don't know what to do!!! All I want is even to keep the hair thats on my head right now. Thnx for listening any input would be greatly appreciated.

Rage

Established Member
Reaction score
How bad is your hair? Like mine or worse? If you're at my stage, or perhaps a little worse, then propecia (proscar) is the way to go.. or so it seems. Add rogaine (minoxidil) if you feel proscar isn't working as well as it should or if you are impatient and are willing to shoulder the financial burden / side effects. 5 months on proscar already? A few more months and the side effects should have died down.. looks like you have to start from scratch.

Transplants are a bad idea unless your balding is very severe i.e a shiny bald scalp. If your hair is still there, just a little thin and whispy - finasteride/minoxidil/nizoral combo could do the trick. Give it one WHOLE year, then re-evaluate. If results are good, then stick with the regiment. Note that good isn't just classified as regrowth, but also stablisation of your hair line.

good luck! A year might sound like a long time, but it passes like a flash! I'm already upto month 7.

JP13

Reaction score
Thnx for the quick response, My hair to me at least really seems like it's thinning it's tough because I'm in the sales industry and looks is a major contributing factor to my career, I have a couple questions first off I ordered rogaine 5 percent and am wondering about the side effects your talking about, second do u think its a good idea to take some pics and post them on here? has it been beneficial for you? Third that third thing you talked of starts with a Z what is that and what does it do and do you think it's available here in Canada, again thnx for the input

Rage

Established Member
Reaction score
Some side-effects of rogaine are increased shedding, skin flaking, some dizziness and itching. I personally only had itching and faster heart beats niether which happen anymore.

Nizoral is a shampoo to stop itching, inflammation and shown to be a small but nevertheless useful antagonist to male pattern baldness. Its only used once every three days, and is an anti-fungal agent as well. Use it in rotation with something non-irritating like T-Gel and it will stop the itchies. Should be avaliable everywhere!

Finally, I think the photos are important to gauge your progress.. and posting them allows others to comment so you don't fall into the placebo trap.. less likely anyway. Well.. I did kind of stuff up my photos, I did them systematically but it appears my male pattern baldness problems lie elsewhere (see how i changed the photo sets from month 6 to month 7).

Cheers,
Rage

JP13

Reaction score
Hey Rage well my second step is complete I received my rogaine 5 percent today, couple questions my hair is recceding and thinning on the front ttop area but on the box it says not to use it on those areas did I just waste my money? How do you post pics on here so you can relate a little easier?

Rage

Established Member
Reaction score
It should work on those areas yes.. bewarned though: once you start rogaine, you can never stop! THe ultimate money maker for the company :(

The pictures are hosted on my own website..

Style

Reaction score
oi....rage, how does your hair feel? does the strands feel thin, or thick? for some reason the hair on my sides feels thin, but the the strands elsewhere feels thick...

archytype

Reaction score
my results

I actually am reading about hairloss on a Saturday night.
It's before I go out w/ the missus and after work though.

I'm 2 months on finasteride and still shedding. i'd never use mono b/c I'm too lazy. My hair is thicker already, but is shedding and thinning like crazy-a day to day experience.

its great to have a true well documented case about someone who has high sensitivity to dht and to see their results. Your hair is great. I'm 23 and just started treatment, I hope my hair gets back to where you are.

Thanks! :wink:

Rage

Established Member
Reaction score
Style said:
oi....rage, how does your hair feel? does the strands feel thin, or thick? for some reason the hair on my sides feels thin, but the the strands elsewhere feels thick...

Yea, that's about right.. my back is extremely thick compared to the rest of my head. My sides are kind of thick, but if you look at the month 7 photos, you can see there's like a thin streak before it kind of becomes thicker at the top.

And thanks archytype, and good luck with your own crusade, the shedding will hopefully stop soon - there can no benefit without a little sacrifice yer?

Ketler

Reaction score
Hope ile get the same result as u.
Im a bit more thin and lighter hair.
I'm using 1% nizoral and minoxidil, spriro will soon are to as I'm not so happy with proscar messing up my hormones just yet.

Hope I'm doing the right thing with this coz I'm shaking in my boots right now, the word shedding is :freaked2:

Rage

Established Member
Reaction score
Good luck to you Ketler, your routine sounds good. But according to everyone, finasteride is the way to go!

Month 8:

Front
Right
Left

Not sure what to say.. its exactly the same. I'm confused if anything happened at all! Did things get worse? Better? These dodge photos can't tell a thing, because of changing hairstyles, colour, camera focus..

I know for sure now that my temples are packed full of very very fine hairs.. but the odd thing is, the middle-front section doesn't have any. Hopefully these will thicken up as more time progresses..

As you can see.. the areas are lacking in hair.. the hair itself isn't thin :/ So wtf.. MBP suppose to have thinning of hair right? Maybe its just a shed.. who knows.

cheers,

/goes back to exam studies

gonna_win

Experienced Member
Reaction score
looking good in the hair department rage!

Rage

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.. JayB is partially correct. I don't come to this site much anymore :( I did take month 9 photos.. but can't find them anymore.

But here's month 10:

Front
Right
Left

This last pic that can be compare to month 0.. definitely good improvement!

I've been getting a few side-effects .. mainly nut pain again. I'm slowly dropping the dosage from 4 days of 1/4 proscar and one day rest to 2 days 1/4 and one day rest. Otherwise, everything is going good!

thanks for reading,

Rage

PartTimeNinja

Established Member
Reaction score
WindyCityHair said:
Rage are you chinese or Asian?

I'm just curious.

I've alwaays thought that China was in Asia - and that to be asian and chinese really is the same thing :lol: :lol:

WindyCityHair

Reaction score
I've alwaays thought that China was in Asia - and that to be asian and chinese really is the same thing

Well Japan, Korea, Hong Kong, Laos, Vietnam and many other countries are also in Asia.

China is just one of them :lol: