Question for oral minoxidil users . . .

NW9000

Established Member
Reaction score
Some anecdotal forum posts claim "wrinkles" and "dark eye circles"

This has been claimed for topical minoxidil, but as a user of topical minoxidil, I can say it's BS and my skin is perfectly fine

To me it all just seems like more fear and hysteria like the anti-finasteride, anti-everything crowd would spread

So to oral minoxidil users, be honest, have you experienced "wrinkles" and "dark eye circles"? Or no not really?

Moz5x

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was really concerned about this although I don’t recall ever seeing this listed as a potential side effect in any of the published oral min studies. After 3 months on 2.5mg/day I have not noticed any such changes fortunately.

Reciprocity

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think the dark eye circles seem credible since Minoxidil is a blood lowering medication after all and to appear sleepy or sad is common with low blood pressure because the skin under your eyes is thinner than elsewhere so any less bloodflow will, more or less, depending on where you're coming from, make you look more gaunt.

NW9000

Established Member
Reaction score
I think the dark eye circles seem credible since Minoxidil is a blood lowering medication after all and to appear sleepy or sad is common with low blood pressure because the skin under your eyes is thinner than elsewhere so any less bloodflow will, more or less, depending on where you're coming from, make you look more gaunt.
But I thought minoxidil was a vasodilator that increased bloodflow

altsequence

My Regimen
Reaction score
Exactly what Diglett said. I've been on between 2.5mg and 5mg for the past year. I had to lower it due to excessive bloating in my face. My face is normally somewhat gaunt so I actually didn't mind the effects...until I did. Still on 2.5mg but would love for a way to deal with the puffiness without impacting my blood pressure.

NW9000

Established Member
Reaction score
A common side effect from Minoxidil is water and sodium retention. The larger the dose, the more common it gets. With oral Minoxidil they almost always prescribe a diuretic to counteract the retention. When you're retaining water and sodium it's very common to get puffy eyes and that causes lower eye protrusion and general puffiness in the face and dark circles and wrinkles come along. Lower the dose and these symptoms should decrease or disappear.
148243.png

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Broscience on roids ! lol

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
I did get water retention which very easily looks like premature aging in the wrong lighting. It usually goes away with time or if I drink more water. I’ve recently started dandelion root supplements, which is a natural diuretic. It helps some

BetaBoy

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Haven't experienced any such side effects though I have been using Tretinoin + SPF 50 over the course of my oral minoxidil use.

he_who_dares_wins

My Regimen
Reaction score
Exactly what Diglett said. I've been on between 2.5mg and 5mg for the past year. I had to lower it due to excessive bloating in my face. My face is normally somewhat gaunt so I actually didn't mind the effects...until I did. Still on 2.5mg but would love for a way to deal with the puffiness without impacting my blood pressure.
How long did you stay on 5mg before lowering to 2.5mg. Did the lowering affect your hair, did it cause a shed?

Last edited:

DavidsDome

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I ve used topical minoxidil for 10 years. No dark eyes.
Switched to oral since a month, dark eyes and puffy underneath after two weeks.
For me, the minoxidil eye thing is real.
Doing 7,5mg / day.

Einstein

Established Member
Reaction score
When I used Loniten, I didn’t experience dark eyes, but super uncomfortable swelling around the eyes. Warning markers have been teary eyes leading up to full-blown swelling, including the upper cheek areas. Plus terrible ankle/feet swelling and wrist/arm swelling. To better put it into context, I did not look like my normal self. I stopped cold turkey and took a prescribed diuretic until I returned to normal. I decided to try it again but at a lower dose; dropped from 5mg to 1.25mg and experienced same.

I believe those who experienced dark bags under their eyes from topical minoxidil was a result of the minoxidil going systemic. Never apply after shower and never apply on damp scalp. But, unfortunately some will have it go systemic even with correct application, just like with RU - for some it’s well handled for others it may go systemic and experience it’s associated side effects.

UnknownT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Im currently on 10mg and i haven't noticed anything like this. I have spoken to others who have said they did so it must be a real thing but not something i can see on myself.

ladysmanfelpz

Established Member
Reaction score
I ve used topical minoxidil for 10 years. No dark eyes.
Switched to oral since a month, dark eyes and puffy underneath after two weeks.
For me, the minoxidil eye thing is real.
Doing 7,5mg / day.

I remember getting dark circles from topical, but I was using it heavy. Always twice a day and putting it on heavy, even after micro needle. Just prescribed oral minoxidil, 5 mg a day. So far no dark eyes. Really stoked my derm suggested it to me!

UnknownT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I remember getting dark circles from topical, but I was using it heavy. Always twice a day and putting it on heavy, even after micro needle. Just prescribed oral minoxidil, 5 mg a day. So far no dark eyes. Really stoked my derm suggested it to me!
Mine did as well. But i have been doing a lot of research on it and it looks like it carries some serious risks of heart problems. Did you derma mention anything like this?

Moz5x

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
T
Mine did as well. But i have been doing a lot of research on it and it looks like it carries some serious risks of heart problems. Did you derma mention anything like this?
My Doctor used the below study to discuss potential side effects with me. I’ve experienced some side effects at 2.5mg but nothing unmanageable nor unexpected. Oral min is powerful stuff and should be taken seriously but there seems to be quite a bit of fear and misinformation around it. I was very concerned about long term effects but after doing my own research I decided to go ahead with it. The drug has been around a long time and there are doctors who’ve been prescribing it for hair loss in Australia (Sinclair) and Thailand (Pathomvanic) for many years now.

https://www.jaad.org/article/S0190-9622(21)00418-7/fulltext