Prox-N vs Generic Brand Prox-N

smitysmity

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
smitysmity said:
Fundi said:
Do other users find 8-10 drops enough for coverage? I think I use about 1ml each time.

Being that I am NW5, I need more than 8 to 10 drops which is why the generic version is what I have to use regardless as I'm going to end up spending 1k a year on serum if I bought the full version for a product which is probably not going to help regrow hair but help keep it from falling out.

I wouldn't try to "second-guess" what Dr. Proctor says to use. If he recommends the use of 8 to 10 drops once or twice a day, that's what I'd use, unless I had really compelling reasons to do otherwise. Something a LOT more compelling than just thinking to myself, "Gee... 8-10 drops isn't very much... maybe I better just SLATHER this stuff with abandon all over my scalp, like guys do with minoxidil, spironolactone, etc." Trust the guy who designed these products, and has been in this business for a long long time.

8 to 10 drops will not cover my scalp.

smitysmity

Established Member
Reaction score
Jacob said:
I guess for the price you'd think there'd be more in it...like Revita and others. A bunch of chemical sounding ingreds and a few actives. For a shampoo it seems fine though..but hardly the only one besides Nizoral worth looking into...as a certain someone tried to claim.

I added the offbrand of that shampoo as well. Nano shampoo goes for about $40 which is double that of Regenepure, Revita, and 2% Nizoral. The offbrand is the same price as those.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
smitysmity said:

I give up.

smitysmity

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
smitysmity said:

I give up.

Good because there is no point in arguing that half your crown should be covered with prox-n and the other half should be without prox-n when 8 to 10 drops cannot possibly cover someone with a NW5 hairloss.

Jacob

Reaction score
Nano Shampoo:
: water, PEG Sorbitan Laurate, Cocamidopropyl betaine, sodium laureth sulfate, PEG 150, Disodiumcocoamphodiacetate, NaCl, PEG 150 distearate, laureth 13 carboxylate, panthenol, 3 carboxylicacidpyridine N-oxide (NANO), allantoin, arginine, super oxide dismutase (copper peptide), fragrance.

LEF's:
Water, PEG sorbitan laurate, cocamidopropyl betaine, sodium laureth sulfate, PEG-150, disodiumcocoamphodiacetate, NaCI, PEG-150 distearate, laureth-13 carboxylate, panthenol, 3-carboxylicacidpyridine N-Oxide (NANO), allantoin, arginine, superoxide dismutase (copper peptide), fragrance.

Same ingreds..in the same order. :shakehead:

Mircalegro

Established Member
Reaction score
Quick question here...with prox-n are you guys talking 8-10 drops per balding area (ie 8-10 for the crown, and another 8-10 for the hairline) that is what ive always assumed... or are you sayng its 8-10 for the ENTIRE scalp??

Mircalegro

Established Member
Reaction score
a little update of my own, regarding the sparse doses:

10 drops actually seems to get the job done, the first time i used 20 or so drops and the stuff burned my scalp.

then yesterday i applied 10 drops in the morning, then 10 at night and it seems to do a good enough job since each drop seems to spread something like an inch in each direction, and if placed correctly, it can virtually cover your head.

for instance, 3 drops is enough to do the outlying inch of my Norwood 2-2.5 hairline, and i "fill in" the middle of the front with 2-3 more drops.

what has been somewhat difficult is getting the crown area, it is so difficult to tell if i got a drop down or not sometimes, so ive taken to dropping drops on my hand, then targeting spots on the crown that way, and i cheat and maybe use an extra drop or 2 just in case

the dose, as ridiculous as it sounds, seems to work so far (coverage-wise anyway)

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Mircalegro said:
the dose, as ridiculous as it sounds, seems to work so far (coverage-wise anyway)

Another thing I'd like to emphasize here is that even though drops of liquid tend to "spread out" a little after application as you said earlier in your post, I still wouldn't ignore the fact that you probably apply the drops to slightly different areas of scalp day-to-day. That would have the effect of "rotating" the dose to different parts of the scalp on a regular basis, which is good. If you apply even a very limited number of drops carefully and judiciously to a pretty large area of scalp, you can benefit the whole area. I think Dr. Proctor knows what he's talking about, when he says "8-10 drops, once or twice a day"! :)

Jacob

Reaction score
If Dr Proctor knows what he's talking about..why can't he answer questions? (I don't mean here anymore..I mean previously) And why does he make things up?

That's the latest one btw Bryan...on the scameister list. Pretending the product with one name/label is more potent than the same product with a different name/label. This is something both you and Proctor have been hitting these forums with...again...for years.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Jacob said:
That's the latest one btw Bryan...on the scameister list. Pretending the product with one name/label is more potent than the same product with a different name/label. This is something both you and Proctor have been hitting these forums with...again...for years.

What makes you think he's "pretending"? Why don't you believe he's telling the truth? :dunno:

Jacob

Reaction score
Bryan said:
Jacob said:

What makes you think he's "pretending"? Why don't you believe he's telling the truth? :dunno:

Seriously? The guy with the crappiest website and the lamest before/after pics after 10+ years of the products being out..who claims his product works better than any agent out there, with nothing to back it up with(seems to be the same for NANO..since no one has posted anything after I posted the procyanidin tidbits)...runs around talking about "mysterious" ingredients that he won't disclose- won't answer if the FDA knows about such ingreds and/or if he's told them what they are...and then cleverly gets people thinking that a product purchased one place may not be as strong as the same product with a dff name/label(which is more expensive) purchased at another place..but *wink wink* the cheaper one *may* be a better value overall. Oh yeah, with male pattern baldness being as hard to treat as it is..I'll go for the weaker product!

Oh..and this is the same guy who jumps in the thread about Dr. Lee getting canned...trying to drum up more business.

If LEF and the other places tell me they know they're selling a watered down version...then I'll believe him.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Jacob said:
Bryan said:
Seriously? The guy with the crappiest website and the lamest before/after pics after 10+ years of the products being out..who claims his product works better than any agent out there, with nothing to back it up with(seems to be the same for NANO..since no one has posted anything after I posted the procyanidin tidbits)...runs around talking about "mysterious" ingredients that he won't disclose- won't answer if the FDA knows about such ingreds and/or if he's told them what they are...and then cleverly gets people thinking that a product purchased one place may not be as strong as the same product with a dff name/label(which is more expensive) purchased at another place..but *wink wink* the cheaper one *may* be a better value overall. Oh yeah, with male pattern baldness being as hard to treat as it is..I'll go for the weaker product!

Just to answer my question about why you don't believe what he says about the potency of the things he sells, compared to the potency of the generics sold by others, you go on and on and on about everything else under the sun like the quality of his Web site and his before-and-after pics, the other claims he makes about his products, the various other ingredients he uses that he doesn't reveal, etc. etc. blah blah blah? All of that is somehow related to whether or not you believe what he says about the potencies of the ingredients in his stuff?? :dunno:

Jacob, you're a little.....strange.

Jacob

Reaction score
Yeah..I'm a little... strange.. for not believing him on one thing because he's not believable when it comes to so many other things.

:woot:

smitysmity

Established Member
Reaction score
Quote from Peter H Proctor

The ingredients, combination, and amounts are different. However, if cost is a consideration, the LEF product is arguably a better deal for the money.

I never questioned the cost, simply asked about the ingredients.

Jacob

Reaction score
So he's claiming that even the ingredients and combination are different...and yet the ingreds list on both products are exactly the same for his and the "generic".

Either the sites I got the ingreds from are wrong...or Dr. P is once again making things up.

smitysmity

Established Member
Reaction score
Took 2 weeks to get my Generic Prox-N ridiculous. Substance feels good on my scalp. Will do my best to update this thread with results in 8 to 12 weeks as I prepare to switch off Tricomin for Prox-N.

Jacob

Reaction score
Not sure why you got the generic if it's the watered down version. :dunno:

smitysmity

Established Member
Reaction score
Jacob said:
Not sure why you got the generic if it's the watered down version. :dunno:

I guess my decision came down to that I didn't want to invest again initially on a product that may not be that effective. Furthermore, being that I have NW5, I have to apply the solution more than the bottle says if I want to cover my scalp with the solution. If I was to purchase the full version, my guess is I'd be spending about $500 to $720 a year on Prox-N alone which is quite ridiculous for a solution which is likely not going to help that much. If I was to salvage the solution and do what the bottle recommends, then I wouldn't cover my entire scalp with it. Also, so many people reported that they didn't notice any major changes between the two when they switched. I am tempted though to at least buy the full version of the Shampoo/Conditioner and stick with the generic Prox-N.

As long as both products have TEMPO/TEMPOL and PBN then this should work.

The Generic Brand Nano Shampoo was pretty amazing and makes your hair thicker then I have ever had with 2% Nizoral and/or Regenepure. I did shed about 50 hairs (sadly I counted) in the shower just now which is disappointing but it's a clear sign that something is finally going on.