Prox-N vs Generic Brand Prox-N

smitysmity

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd share my research on Prox-N which is a well known S.O.D Spray which goes with a popular shampoo known as Nano. I purchased generic brand prox-n. My understand here is that prox-n seems to be a little bit more effective than other S.O.D Sprays such as Tricomin, Folligan, etc. After fully researching, it appears Prox-N is quite possibly the most effective S.O.D Spray out there. The only con of Prox-N is that the cost of Prox-N is $60.00 which will last you a month, maybe two.

After doing some research, it appears the generic brand is a little less potent than the normal version of Prox-N except you can find it at 60% the cost.

Generic Version
http://www.lef.org/Vitamins-Supplements ... tment.html

Here are some information on Prox-N
http://www.baldness-cure.org/2009/11/pr ... -n-review/

Here are some results with Prox-N
http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/board ... -DESC.html

End Result: If you want the full version that maybe a bit more potent, go with Prox-N but I'd personally recommend the offbrand which is cheaper otherwise get ready to spend upwards to $720 a year on Prox-N.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
smitysmity said:
The only con of Prox-N is that the cost of Prox-N is $60.00 which will last you a month, maybe two.

Are you using it at the recommended dose of "8-10 drops, once or twice a day"? :dunno:

smitysmity

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
smitysmity said:
The only con of Prox-N is that the cost of Prox-N is $60.00 which will last you a month, maybe two.

Are you using it at the recommended dose of "8-10 drops, once or twice a day"? :dunno:

Yes.

What is happening is that after about 2 to 4 hours after applying the primary topical, my head gets itchy. Applying a S.O.D Spray seems to get rid of that itch. I can only assume my head is drying which is causing irritation. After the Tricomin runs out, I'll be using it twice a day.

Will also add that Tricomin and Folligan are superior for copper peptides. Prox-N on the other hand clearly doesn't have anywhere near the level of copper peptides as those two so if you really want copper peptides in your regimen, best to apply prox-n once a day, then one of tricomin or folligan later in the day.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
smitysmity said:
Will also add that Tricomin and Folligan are superior for copper peptides. Prox-N on the other hand clearly doesn't have anywhere near the level of copper peptides as those two so if you really want copper peptides in your regimen, best to apply prox-n once a day, then one of tricomin or folligan later in the day.

That may be true, but a complicating factor is that Prox-N also contains TEMPO/TEMPOL and PBN, which Tricomin and Folligen can't even _dream_ about having! :) That would make your advice above somewhat questionable, in my opinion.

smitysmity

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
smitysmity said:

That may be true, but a complicating factor is that Prox-N also contains TEMPO/TEMPOL and PBN, which Tricomin and Folligen can't even _dream_ about having! :) That would make your advice above somewhat questionable, in my opinion.

Which is why I am not planning on renewing Tricomin and just going with the generic Prox-N.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Something you might consider doing is emailing Dr. Proctor (or even calling him and talking to him or his receptionist during business hours), and asking him if the so-called "generic" versions of Prox-N (like the one from LEF) do indeed have TEMPO/TEMPOL and PBN, just like his own version which he sells directly. Post his response here in this thread!

Fundi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm using the generic version (Only been doing so for a month).

I've read a quote from Dr. Proctor that the generic version is 'almost as good' as his own and 'probably better value'.

The quote was posted by a user though so not sure of its authenticity.

Do other users find 8-10 drops enough for coverage? I think I use about 1ml each time.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Fundi said:

I've read a quote from Dr. Proctor that the generic version is 'almost as good' as his own and 'probably better value'.

I can verify that Dr. Proctor did indeed say that!

smitysmity

Established Member
Reaction score
Fundi said:

Do other users find 8-10 drops enough for coverage? I think I use about 1ml each time.

Being that I am NW5, I need more than 8 to 10 drops which is why the generic version is what I have to use regardless as I'm going to end up spending 1k a year on serum if I bought the full version for a product which is probably not going to help regrow hair but help keep it from falling out.

Jacob

Reaction score
I thought the "results" page linked to was going to show quite a few actual results. It's just the same one from years ago. You'd think there'd be more out there for "the most powerful SOD spray" :whistle:

BTW..the ingreds list for the "generic" and regular are exactly the same. This "more potent" talk seems to be just another sales pitch..or even snake-oil pitch...just like the "mysterious ingredients" nonsense. Think maybe Proctor gets a bit more money selling the Prox-N version? :shock: Here are the ingreds:

Prox N Ingredients List

Allantoin, ascorbate, ascorbylpalmitate, arginine, BHT, 3 carboxypyridine-N-Oxide, CU/ZN-binding peptides (from CU/ZN sulfates), EDTA, propyleneglycol, superoxide dismutases, water

LEF's:

Ingredients
Allantoin, ascorbate, ascorbylpalmitate, arginine, BHT, 3-carboxypyridine-N-Oxide, CU/ZN-binding peptides (from CU/ZN sulfates), EDTA, propyleneglycol, superoxide dismutases, water.

And no...what Dr. P says\claims means nothing to me. He'll say anything..it seems.

smitysmity

Established Member
Reaction score
idontwanttobebalding said:
smitysmity said:
Fundi said:

Being that I am NW5, I need more than 8 to 10 drops which is why the generic version is what I have to use regardless as I'm going to end up spending 1k a year on serum if I bought the full version for a product which is probably not going to help regrow hair but help keep it from falling out.

Don't know if you use (or are going to use) Prox-N twice a day, however, in order to save money with Rogain....I use foam in the morning and generic liquid at night. Perhaps you could do the same thing with Prox-N and its generic version. Best of luck to you! :)

No way I'd ever use a generic brand of prox-n as my main topical unless I want to lose my hair.

RU/Bimatoprost/CB0301
then Prox-N

During the same 6 to 8 hour cycle. Use the Prox-N 2 to 4 hours after applying the substance to get it moving again. Prox-n has some photos showing some people regrowing hair but those are the same photos that have been on there for years now. I have serious doubt that you can use a serum as a main solution.

smitysmity

Established Member
Reaction score
Jacob said:
You'd think there'd be more out there for "the most powerful SOD spray"

That's because no SOD Spray is going to be better than the known main solutions out there. SOD Spray is a secondary topical and in no way do I believe that alone is going to regrow your hair or keep it from falling out.

However, if you say it's not the most powerful SOD Spray, then what is?

Jacob

Reaction score
I just don't see anyway to gauge which is the most powerful. As you can see..I don't trust what Dr. P says...or does. Just because he has "patents" doesn't mean much to me..since so many others have "patents". So many others are just as knowledgeable as well. Red flags go up when someone runs around saying his product will grow more hair than any agent out there..talks about "mysterious ingredients" that aren't on the label..and what you brought up here- the "more potent" version vs the cheaper one. I wonder if LEF realizes the product they're selling is a "lite" version...?

There are plenty of other SOD containing and even Spin Trap containing products out there. I recall Sircuit Skin having some decent combos(with SOD and ST's)..although they're not sold as hair loss products. They may be more expensive though..but could also be more powerful. Elsom Research via their Formulator has SOD and Spin Traps available(last time I checked anyway)..but I'm sure that would be even more expensive. I have no idea how any of these products would compare when it comes to how long a bottle would last.

blaze

Experienced Member
Reaction score
AHK-Cu at 2.5%. It outperformed minoxidil. It is the active ingredient in Tricomin, but tricomin is worthless, it doesnt contain hardly any AHK-Cu. Less than 0.5% IMO.

Jacob

Reaction score
BTW..making comparisons to minoxidil...procyanidins are another. There are even some pictures floating around out there. Way newer than Proctor's :woot:

smitysmity

Established Member
Reaction score
Jacob said:
BTW..making comparisons to minoxidil...procyanidins are another. There are even some pictures floating around out there. Way newer than Proctor's :woot:

With that said, pictures alone as a reason to explain your drug and how well it works without explaining why is what you call as a scam in this industry.

Jacob

Reaction score
But that isn't the case with the pro's. There was talk about it prior to the pictures coming out. I'm not referring to the Applepoly products(s). One example: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11841365

Here's one Sicruit Skin product I was referring to above:

http://www.sircuitskin.com/inc/sdetail/32112/32284

Featured Ingredients:

L- Superoxide Dismutase - potent antioxidant.
Aminoguanidine - helps to maintain suppleness of skin.
Grape Seed - anti-oxidant, anti-aging, protective.
Resveratrol (Phytoalexin compound from wine) - powerful antioxidant.
D20/Heavy Water (Deuternium Oxide) - hydrating, and protective.
D-Boldine Extract (Peumus Boldus Leaf Extract) - major antioxidant from the Chilean Boldo Tree.
Epigallocatechin Gallate – the most potent part of green tea, anti-oxidant, anti-aging and protective.
Vitamin E (D-Alpha Tocopherol) - healing antioxidant, Chirally Correct and most effective form.
L- Carnosine – amino acid, anti-oxidant, helps to maintain softness and suppleness of skin.
L- Glutathione - Chirally Correct antioxidant from spinach and purslane.
Whey Protein - brightening.
D-Beta Glucosamine (Glucosamine HCL) - Chirally Correct skin smoothing ingredient.
Wine Extract - antioxidant that works synergistically with Resveratrol making it even more effective.
Spin Trap - Potent antioxidant, the most powerful anywhere because it is the most intelligent.

Jacob

Reaction score
I guess for the price you'd think there'd be more in it...like Revita and others. A bunch of chemical sounding ingreds and a few actives. For a shampoo it seems fine though..but hardly the only one besides Nizoral worth looking into...as a certain someone tried to claim.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
smitysmity said:
Fundi said:

I wouldn't try to "second-guess" what Dr. Proctor says to use. If he recommends the use of 8 to 10 drops once or twice a day, that's what I'd use, unless I had really compelling reasons to do otherwise. Something a LOT more compelling than just thinking to myself, "Gee... 8-10 drops isn't very much... maybe I better just SLATHER this stuff with abandon all over my scalp, like guys do with minoxidil, spironolactone, etc." Trust the guy who designed these products, and has been in this business for a long long time.