Pros and Cons of a system.

kejan

Established Member
Reaction score
Add yours in here.

Pros

1. You can basically get your hair back, or the hair you've always wanted.
2. They can look very realistic and great if done well. Key is less density, and make sure the colour matches (either by dying the piece and your real hair the same).

Cons

1. At some point people your partner will find out. As some say they are undetectable, yes to the untrained eye they look good, but you can feel the difference between attachment and your growing hair, if wearing a topper.
2. If you are to be secretive about it and room-share, or live with someone who doesn't know. I can imagine that may well be a bit of a hassle. Having to go in to the bathroom with your toilet bag full of wig accessories, and then if your attachment isn't going well - having to hog the bathroom for a long period even if it's just once a week.

It's a bit of a double-edged sword. You can look a lot better, and you can use even partial piece(s) for a thinning hairline if that's your only issue. My main concern would be for potential wearers is that surely at somepoint, your partner will find out. I've read of folk saying they have never been busted, but I find it hard to believe.

I'm all for wig wearing, but some of the hair system sites are a bit like the Sly Bald Guy community with the blind loyality to their cause and propoganda of using a system, but without ever pausing for thought that the more introvert and low confidence guys may deal with stress whilst wearing.

I'd love to hear from wig wearers out there with their views.

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
For me the only real alternatives are a hair system or shaving it all off.

A hair system will cost more and take more time than the shave look, but its more versatile.

For me looking 7 years younger, becoming more active and confident is worth the extra cost of £500 a year.

shookwun

Reaction score
For me the only real alternatives are a hair system or shaving it all off.

A hair system will cost more and take more time than the shave look, but its more versatile.

For me looking 7 years younger, becoming more active and confident is worth the extra cost of £500 a year.

That's literally peanuts if that's what you pay per year.

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If anything £500 is the top end. I pay about £250 per system and £50 for a cut in and I get 9 months. Products are quite limited, say £30 a year. Would be happy to pay twice that for the benefits I get.

SayifDoit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
^
That **** is hilarious looking.
I would not advice anyone to ever consider getting a wig, but....
There is no but.

Unless you're homeless or jobless you can get a FUE, there is always beard grafts even if you don't have enough donor hair.
You just have to ask yourself is crippling debt worth it to have a full head of hair?

2bald2young

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Here we go again.

The only pro is:

1. You look like you have hair.

Now the cons:

1. Maintenance. Prepare yourself to spend hours and hours in the bathroom to make it look right, remove the glue and clean your scalp etc.

2. Price. it's the most expensive hair loss "solution". Roughly 1000€ a year for the hair pieces and all the products required. In 5 years, you reach the price of a FUE, and you still have no hair.

3. You can't go into the sun. Because your own hair will turn into a different colour than the hair on your hair piece.

4. You can't go swimming in the sea or in a pool. Chlorine and salty water will damage even real hair. Enough said.

5. You can't go in the wind. You need to style it perfectly right, and you can't show the "hair line". So going out when it's windy is out of the question too.

6. You can't let a woman touch it, obviously. Don't even think about going down on a woman.

7. You're living in constant paranoia. Anyone could sneak up behind you and pull it out. I can't even imagine the trauma of such a situation.

8. If people discover or suspect you're wearing, you will be a laughing stock. Don't think people are open-minded about a male wearing a rug.

9. You can't do sports and sweat with it, obviously.

10. This is a bonus feminism and a society full of double-standards have brought us: you're not a real man if you wear a wig.

I've just come back from a holiday in Spain, and seriously, even with the thin density, it's a no brainer: I'm so glad I went for the hair transplant instead of a wig.

I've been able to go fishing, staying in the sun (with sunscreen of course), swimming, snorkelling, horse riding, exercising outdoors, having sex.

All of that would have been out of the question with a hair piece.

That feeling when you feel happy for someone but at the same time so jelly you have to attend jellyschool.

shookwun

Reaction score
Here we go again.

The only pro is:

1. You look like you have hair.

Now the cons:

1. Maintenance. Prepare yourself to spend hours and hours in the bathroom to make it look right, remove the glue and clean your scalp etc.

2. Price. it's the most expensive hair loss "solution". Roughly 1000€ a year for the hair pieces and all the products required. In 5 years, you reach the price of a FUE, and you still have no hair.

3. You can't go into the sun. Because your own hair will turn into a different colour than the hair on your hair piece.

4. You can't go swimming in the sea or in a pool. Chlorine and salty water will damage even real hair. Enough said.

5. You can't go in the wind. You need to style it perfectly right, and you can't show the "hair line". So going out when it's windy is out of the question too.

6. You can't let a woman touch it, obviously. Don't even think about going down on a woman.

7. You're living in constant paranoia. Anyone could sneak up behind you and pull it out. I can't even imagine the trauma of such a situation.

8. If people discover or suspect you're wearing, you will be a laughing stock. Don't think people are open-minded about a male wearing a rug.

9. You can't do sports and sweat with it, obviously.

10. This is a bonus feminism and a society full of double-standards have brought us: you're not a real man if you wear a wig.

I've just come back from a holiday in Spain, and seriously, even with the thin density, it's a no brainer: I'm so glad I went for the hair transplant instead of a wig.

I've been able to go fishing, staying in the sun (with sunscreen of course), swimming, snorkelling, horse riding, exercising outdoors, having sex.

All of that would have been out of the question with a hair piece.

giphy.gif

10) The gunk, debris, and dirt build up on the hairline while exposed.

11) Can't go camping or do any free-spirit type of adventure without your 5LB rug kit, washrooms, and a mirror nearby.

12) Always seen with the same tuff of a hairstyle, nothing ever seems to change. (this is a give away for those who are close to you, and see you periodically)

shookwun

Reaction score
A head of hair is 100% worth it. Your life will drastically change for the better, from how people treat you towards how you approach things.

Its a surreal feeling, but I literally feel like I can take on the world. When ya look good ya feel good... 100%

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I moved to a hair system a few years ago and given my first hand experience, its one of the best decisions I have made. My whole life has been enhanced. Forget the doubters and haters; many who have never worn.

Its a very personal choice and unless you try, you will never know if it works for you.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've recently been informed that 2-3 people I know are wearing wigs all their lives. I'll be honest I didn't pick it up, I really haven't looked into any of this. I say good for them if it makes them happy, simple as that really. To some it might be a prison but for others it might give them the long flowing hair they desire. If you have an understanding partner I would say then it's all good, that seems to be the big sticking point.

I would find it hard due to the psychological aspect of basically having two identities, also would feel like a loser sporting a wig. It could be seen as weak. But then again, shave it all off/buzzed down to nothing also looks openly ridiculous, so it's a tough one.

Partial pieces seem slightly better or concealers. Full on system is very very tough mentally.

Some people hate wigs as they don't want to wear one and if they see someone with it, they feel it's "cheating."

Personally I put SMP in the same category , sticking tattoos on your head to imitate hair.

I like to keep an open mind and not judge individuals in their hair loss battle. You use whatever tools you want to make yourself feel good, even clippers to shave it off. Some people feel liberated.

gpeiraias

Reaction score
Hello guys,
I m new wearer, almost 6 months old.I have to admin that the first couple of months were difficult in terms of maintenance.Now Im cleaning my piece once per week and within 1 hour, I have colored it ( if needed) wash it, put tape,and style it.This is the best decision I ve ever made for my self.Before this I had a bad hair transplant, and I was using hair coscealers daily -many times within the same day...Ok I dont want to remember those silly times...With the system attached on my head I can style it the way I like, I look younger-obviously and when it comes to my hair when others notice a difference on it, I only say with humor "I ve changed my barber" :). I dont give a $hit to what others might think, since my hair look very natural !Trust me , if noone knew how my hair looked before,would never notice anything strange to my hair-piece now.I can obviously spot a hairtranspant and its silly results on any head I see daily ...and I cannot compare it to a hair system at all!For me its like you loose a tooth ...you replace it with a new one...Ok I don't say that living with hair system is the easiest thing in the world, but for spending around 1-2 hours per week max...I think its worth it!

shookwun

Reaction score
post a pic.

Nobody ever posts their results

shookwun

Reaction score
Looks good. What works in your favour also is that you have strong temple points by the looks of it, further making it more believable and natural to the eye.

Why not grow the sides to a number 1 around the ears, and nape, and have the sides above thicker. it'll transition well :)

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
Looks good. What works in your favour also is that you have strong temple points by the looks of it, further making it more believable and natural to the eye.

Why not grow the sides to a number 1 around the ears, and nape, and have the sides above thicker. it'll transition well :)

Temple points are key. Easy give away when a piece wearer has receded temple points. I also agree with your hair style idea, but overall I think it looks pretty good. Thanks for posting pics.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ronald Reagan was a Norwood 1 without very obvious temple points. I do agree though, they become even more critical in us balding folk. The picture of the system above looks very natural. Like I said, I haven't done much research into it but I would still spot an OBVIOUS wig. Seems they are not quite the joker ones in movies, even the one in wolf of wall street lol they use to mock the "rugrat" guy.

I was surprised when someone told me of 2-3 people who are wearing wigs, I never picked up on it so someone unaware would not necessarily notice.

I think what gives a wig away is if it's like a mop/carpet of hair which looks like it's been stuck on and also the back and sides not matching well with the top.

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
But yeah, at the end of the day, you have to chose: having a life or having hair. If you chose a hair piece, say goodbye to almost everything that's enjoyable in life.

But you'll look like you have hair. That's it.

Wearing a piece is really that bad huh? That sucks big time. I just couldn't see myself wearing one for number of reasons. The main one being discomfort. I could see myself wanting to rip the thing off after a couple of hours. After that it's the ridicule. Not from strangers, but from my own family.

gpeiraias

Reaction score
Hello Fred,I am surprised that your father has told you such things about having sex , running , riding motorcycle e.t.c...
Maybe he sticks thai hair piece with glue?I only use tape for supporting the system to my head and trust me its very strong...No way to move it even if you hold it tight with your hands...Ofcourse as I said you need to attach-detach once per week because the glue of the tapes loose its strenght( fair enough ok :) I can do all types of sports, sex , running, jumping I have a motorcycle which I use daily ...with no problem and all this stuff..One thing I havent tried is to swim...not that Im afraid if the system will fall , but because I dont think it will be natural looking if its totally wet ..Thanks