Propecia- One month Damage Report. I QUIT!

ossa

Reaction score
OK, I admit I was lamely looking to you all for advice to counter what my intuition had told me two weeks ago. Propecia is poison for me. It may work for other people, but not me. A month ago I had a full head of hair with only the slightest suggestion of some vertex thinning. I had some frontal recession that had actually grown forward about 1 cm with the oral minoxidil I've been taking for two years.
After one month of propecia I have 15% less hair, with loss of all the frontal hair that minoxidil had regrown (which had been stable for two years) I have a more exposed vertex. Moreover my face is oiler than it ever has been in my life, my remaining hair is limp, oily, and lifeless. I have acne on my chest which I've never had in my life. I have seborrhea and constant itiching from my scalp- which I've never had in my life. The stuff is $#iT! I'm surprised there hasn't been a class action lawsuit already. Even if legal measures are a bit extreme, how is it that Merck has no description of a similar constellation of adverse events in their database- when it seems to be a fairly common occurrence. I'm not sure if this is a bona fide "relex hyperandrogenicity" response - in the views of many medical professionals, my dermatologist included, it is controversial whether finasteride even causes such a phenomenon.
Now I'm sure many people are going to berate me for not staying the course for at least 12 months...but there are sufficient testimonials from individuals on this and other sites to suggest that some people are actually much worse off in a years time. I highly doubt this is due to the natural progression of their male pattern baldness. A direct adverse effect of the medication seems a much more plausible explanation.
I'm going to stay with oral minoxidil - I've already increased my dose to help jump start some new hair growth. (Yes I know that minoxidil can cause shedding but it never has for me in the past and at least I KNOW it grows hair) Propecia is utter $#iT. I'm done.
As a last parting comment....I've filed an adverse event (AE) report with Merck and I encourage those who've had a similar experience to do so. Their representative claimed to have to no reports of telogen effluvium or a "reflex hyperandrogenicity" type syndrome - which just seems impossible to me! Instead of carping about the product here, all the people that have legitimate gripes about Propecia should let the manufacturer know so their package insert can be a little more honest. Maybe if I'd seen some real data on adverse events I wouldn't have even bothered with this crap a month ago. Contact your prescribing physician or pharmacist on how to file an AE report with Merck.

Don't even think about responding to me that "sheds" are part of the deal
with effective hairgrowth medications. Don't even go there. This isn't a shed- it's an extermination. A month ago, if I'd coated my head with used motor oil and then pulled out 15% of my hair I wouldn't look worse than I do now.

bubka

Reaction score
an increase loss is usually a sign its working

maybe that was not your case

you quit so you will never know

Nathaniel

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Did you take pictures bro? I don't mean for you to post them, but for you to compare.

docj077

Reaction score
ossa said:
OK, I admit I was lamely looking to you all for advice to counter what my intuition had told me two weeks ago. Propecia is poison for me. It may work for other people, but not me. A month ago I had a full head of hair with only the slightest suggestion of some vertex thinning. I had some frontal recession that had actually grown forward about 1 cm with the oral minoxidil I've been taking for two years.
After one month of propecia I have 15% less hair, with loss of all the frontal hair that minoxidil had regrown (which had been stable for two years) I have a more exposed vertex. Moreover my face is oiler than it ever has been in my life, my remaining hair is limp, oily, and lifeless. I have acne on my chest which I've never had in my life. I have seborrhea and constant itiching from my scalp- which I've never had in my life. The stuff is $#iT! I'm surprised there hasn't been a class action lawsuit already. Even if legal measures are a bit extreme, how is it that Merck has no description of a similar constellation of adverse events in their database- when it seems to be a fairly common occurrence. I'm not sure if this is a bona fide "relex hyperandrogenicity" response - in the views of many medical professionals, my dermatologist included, it is controversial whether finasteride even causes such a phenomenon.
Now I'm sure many people are going to berate me for not staying the course for at least 12 months...but there are sufficient testimonials from individuals on this and other sites to suggest that some people are actually much worse off in a years time. I highly doubt this is due to the natural progression of their male pattern baldness. A direct adverse effect of the medication seems a much more plausible explanation.
I'm going to stay with oral minoxidil - I've already increased my dose to help jump start some new hair growth. (Yes I know that minoxidil can cause shedding but it never has for me in the past and at least I KNOW it grows hair) Propecia is utter $#iT. I'm done.
As a last parting comment....I've filed an adverse event (AE) report with Merck and I encourage those who've had a similar experience to do so. Their representative claimed to have to no reports of telogen effluvium or a "reflex hyperandrogenicity" type syndrome - which just seems impossible to me! Instead of carping about the product here, all the people that have legitimate gripes about Propecia should let the manufacturer know so their package insert can be a little more honest. Maybe if I'd seen some real data on adverse events I wouldn't have even bothered with this crap a month ago. Contact your prescribing physician or pharmacist on how to file an AE report with Merck.

Don't even think about responding to me that "sheds" are part of the deal
with effective hairgrowth medications. Don't even go there. This isn't a shed- it's an extermination. A month ago, if I'd coated my head with used motor oil and then pulled out 15% of my hair I wouldn't look worse than I do now.

I'd say you're a good candidate for Avodart. Obviously, propecia is working for you. At least in my experience and according to the science, you'd expect your face to get oilier as the testosterone that would have been used to make DHT in your hair is now used to make DHT in your sebaceous glands.

Avodart inhibits both processess. It's probably your best bet and the only thing that will work for you.

CCS

Reaction score
HairyBerry said:
That's why I'm afraid of trying finasteride..

aren't you the aspiring model? and you are affraid to take finasteride? even if you get in now, you won't be one for long if you don't get on finasteride. Maybe you can retire in 6 months or a year, and that will be enough, though.

CCS

Reaction score
i want to retire in a year, and live in college, and travel when the semester is out. That would be the life. paid for by all the people who want to stare at me in print.

emery

Established Member
Reaction score
wtf man... propecia is obviously working for you... you will grow back soon... but if you stop now , your 15% is gone and not recoverable.

edit:
actually i went thru the same sh*t... the first 8 weeks are nightmare... i lost about 15% too then i started, i quitted for a month but thanks for all the encouragement here i went back to propecia and guess what... 5 months later my update got moved to success story section...

so what i want to say is, dont give up.

G

no need for duplicate posts bud. should have ridden it out- now you'll end up norwood 7.

Boru

Established Member
Reaction score
I have taken finasteride for 2 years, with gradual hair progress, but I don't jump so high, then I am getting older, though without wrinkles at 49, finasteride is maybe doing something to my skin.

calgary2800

Reaction score
I know exactly what you are going through. Sorry for your pain. I tired Rogaine and Saw Palmetto and those 2 methods left my hairline for the worse no if and buts about it.

Its hard as hell to just stand there and take the shedding and side effects. I gave up easily also.

I am now almost 25 days in finasteride and not one hint of shedding and pretty much everywhere is doing just fine and even some regrowth already.

Your case is extreme, perhaps a visit to the md ?

ossa

Reaction score
Clearly not everybody responds to finasteride in the same manner.

If you've read the posts here you're surely aware that there are plenty of testimonials from people who think they're worse off after more than a year of taking the crap. Not every "early shedder" goes on to be a "good responder." Some people who shed heavily early continue to shed and just get progressively diffusely thinner even after taking finasteride for more than a year.

A canned answer of "should have ridden it out man" or "now you'll go bald for sure" isn't helping anyone. (well maybe it makes you feel better, but it doesn't help me) Comments like that just strike me as an almost juvenile and superficial analysis of my situation. Not everyone is the same. Generalization doesn't help.

I wasn't at all going bald before I started Propecia and I probably never would have. If I posted a picture now of my hair I'm sure you'd all think I was a neurotic freak because I have a full head of hair still. I only started to take propecia as a preventative measure and I very much regret it now. I've been off of it for 8 days now and (unfortunately) I'm still losing about 100 hairs a day- that's just with showering and combing. My earlier optimism about the scalp itch reducing in intensity was premature. It still itches like hell. In my case I think the propecia either induced a telogen effluvium or somehow sent a completely mild/preclinical male pattern baldness into hyperdrive. My testosterone and dht levels are still pending. I have already seen the leading "hair dematologist" in Los Angeles, and he truly didn't have a lot to offer except vague reassurance. He felt my condition was telogen effluvium, but then again he said he'd never really seen a patient with a bona fide shed from finasteride, so I'm not sure I trust his opinion as it does seem to be a common phenomenon.

I realize that dht suppression seems to be an instrumental part of preventing male pattern baldness, I'm just going to have to figure out a different way to accomplish the same end.

Has anyone tried just taking finasteride .5mg or 1 mg every three days or even weekly?

ossa

Reaction score
We're not talking about "non responders":

My experience and the experience of those individuals who are worse off at a years time BECAUSE of the drug should not simply be classified as a
"non responder" as the manufacturer has done. I'm sure that some of those 15% "non responders" were actually worse because they took Propecia,
not simply because of the progression of their male pattern baldness.
If finasteride had done nothing at all for me, I'd be elated. I'd be out the 70 bucks, but I'd still have my hair.

MPBWarrior

Experienced Member
Reaction score
how could finasteride possibly be bad for male pattern baldness??

G

Re: We're not talking about "non responders":

ossa said:
My experience and the experience of those individuals who are worse off at a years time BECAUSE of the drug should not simply be classified as a
"non responder" as the manufacturer has done. I'm sure that some of those 15% "non responders" were actually worse because they took Propecia,
not simply because of the progression of their male pattern baldness.
If finasteride had done nothing at all for me, I'd be elated. I'd be out the 70 bucks, but I'd still have my hair.

You don't know and can't prove that your hair loss is because of finasteride. Maybe you just have really awful genetics or you inherited a very nasty form of it from way back in your family.

G

ossa said:
If finasteride had done nothing at all for me, I'd be sad. I would have lost my hair even faster

I fixed your post.

bubka

Reaction score

JayMan said:
You don't know and can't prove that your hair loss is because of finasteride. Maybe you just have really awful genetics or you inherited a very nasty form of it from way back in your family.
exactly

and it was only a month... who knows what would have happened say on month 3-5 when regrowth typically starts...

ossa

Reaction score
Oh I get it.
You guys must work for Merck.

That's the only rational explanation for "one size fits all" answer that seems to be the mantra of this site:"you didn't stick with it long enough."

I don't have bad genetics. I wasn't even balding...before I started finasteride.

You're absolutely right, I don't know what would have happened had I continued to take finasteride, but I'm damn sure what answer I would have received from you guys in 15 months if I was much worse off than before I started:

"I guess you're not a responder."
"Must be one of the 15%."
"The hair you lost, you would have lost anyway...this was just the progression of your male pattern baldness."

I guess it's easy to write off any reports of early excessive shedding because it's a Propecia rite of passage that you've made it through. Anyone who complains too much, must be some sort of whiner or bitter bob....and a quitter.

I can totally understand Merck's lack of interest in investigating whether there are people who do worse with finasteride than without it. Hey, if it didn't come up in trials before the drug was FDA approved (unless there are some internal memos lying around somewhere), why would they give a sh*t about it now?

What I don't understand is why individuals participating in a open forum seem to be so myopic about this potential problem. There are clearly people who get worse because of finasteride- they post here all the time- and there are a number of possible biochemical explanations for this (even outside the scope of my understanding). I don't think this forum advances the science of male pattern baldness if it blindly tries to silence those who don't tow the Merck party line.

I think people deciding whether or not to take Propecia should be properly informed of potential side effects, and so far neither the manufacturer or this particular site seem interested in doing that. That's why I'm posting my experience here. I think by not reporting adverse side effects you're doing a disservice to people with male pattern baldness everywhere....what possible incentive would a drug company have to develop a new product if the existing one works 85% of the time and has no significant side effects?
Where is the mention of sheds in the package insert? I filed the first adverse event report with Merck of Telogen Effluvium just a week ago. What about so called relex hyperandrogenicity? Is that even a real entity?....no one knows, because no one has really studied it....why would they have if they didn't have to?

(No one ever got worse from Propecia is bullshit- my bathtub drain is now plugged today-for the first time since I moved into my house 6 years ago. Can I send the plumber's bill to Merck?)

Fallout Boy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Ossa did you say youre taking Minoxidil in pill form??? I thought i heard that taking minoxidil orally had nasty side effects and was not recommended that male's take take it orally.

Did you have any side effects?