Propecia and orgasm

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Why would you want to trade life's greatest pleasures for a cosmetic issue?

He's not, he just said he's recovered from the issues.

wstef, I can't remember what it's called, but you should look up orgasm training exercises. I started doing this a few years ago (during sex) where you basically bring yourself to the brink of an orgasm, then stop for a few moments, then keep going, then stop.. You can do this dozens of times, and it actually helps a lot with control during sex. It's useful if you want to time your orgasm with your partners (which is basically the best thing ever) but best of all it can intensify your orgasm tenfold. I've been on finasteride for almost 2 years and regularly have by far the best orgasms that I've ever had before in my life. You can do the same thing with masturbation as well.

It's something that is sensitive to mental state also. I notice when i'm feeling crappy or stressed out or whatever, sometimes I don't even feel the orgasm at all. When i'm in a good mood and have no stress, it's always good times.

wstef

Established Member
Reaction score
If the side effects continued permanently I would quit, but they are clearly going now which is good with me, and I feel a lot more confident.

My hair loss wasn't dramatic but I hated what was happening. I'm vain, what can I say? We all are (why else would we be treating hair loss?).

I think the exercise you are talking about is kegel exercises? I have tried these (even before starting Propecia) and it definitely works for how hard you get. It's like rock most of the time. I have never had a problem with getting a erection whilst being on finasteride, though. If anything, I think I am hornier... I can't explain this?

wstef

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, this issue has pretty much gone completely now.

Although it's hard for me to compare to the past, I don't have any "numbness" down there and everything feels pretty good!

It has improved a lot since I added zinc to the regime.

I'm really pleased and hope it doesn't come back because treatment is working. Pics to come in the next few weeks...

Jack A

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, this issue has pretty much gone completely now.

Although it's hard for me to compare to the past, I don't have any "numbness" down there and everything feels pretty good!

It has improved a lot since I added zinc to the regime.

I'm really pleased and hope it doesn't come back because treatment is working. Pics to come in the next few weeks...

Zinc is awesome, back when I started Regaine I was shedding like hell, took some zinc and I haven't shed since. Still using 15mg daily it and have just started finasteride.

wstef

Established Member
Reaction score
Zinc is awesome, back when I started Regaine I was shedding like hell, took some zinc and I haven't shed since. Still using 15mg daily it and have just started finasteride.

I honestly think it is the key to some of the side effects.

I don't think there's a proper discovered reason for the effects, but one theory is more oestrogen (small imbalances can cause issues in our body). It would make sense that more oestrogen = worse orgasms in men.

I was browsing body building forums recently It wasn't to look to work out but because of the similar effects people have when they take testosterone. A few people mentioned worse orgasms when taking testosterone... and I'd assume they'd also get an increase in oestrogen. Well, I know this because people get manboobs and skin issues when taking testosterone.

Zinc apparently stops the conversion to oestrogen, so... I guess my theory has some reality to it?

Hopefully you mean your hair and not your orgasms! Just kidding!

Glad to hear you are doing better, keep us updated.

Well, maybe if I was drunk enough! :p

I masturbated earlier today and I was really happy with the feeling being back to normal, because I did miss it! Previously it's wasn't terrible, it was just acceptable, but because I knew it was capable of a lot more I was a bit annoyed... fingers crossed it doesn't return!

If anything, this whole hair loss thing has made me reassess my health and I am becoming a lot more healthier, so thanks s**t genes for that! Ha!

- - - Updated - - -

If you are interested, I posted my results so far, here

wstef

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, this has came back recently.

It was fine for ages and all of a sudden I have crap orgasms again, and it takes me a lot longer.

Also, I am noticing a puffier face, perhaps from the minoxidil.

I haven't done anything differently than I did in the past so hopefully just a temporary blip but it's been a week so far.

What do you think causes this? The finasteride itself? The reduction of DHT? The increase (possibly) or oestrogen?

Chuck1989

Reaction score
Well, this has came back recently.

It was fine for ages and all of a sudden I have crap orgasms again, and it takes me a lot longer.

Also, I am noticing a puffier face, perhaps from the minoxidil.

I haven't done anything differently than I did in the past so hopefully just a temporary blip but it's been a week so far.

What do you think causes this? The finasteride itself? The reduction of DHT? The increase (possibly) or oestrogen?

Judging from the above it's hard to pin it down, but if zinc was having a remedial effect maybe you've developed a tolerance for the 15mg or so you were taking? I'm no expert and it seems like all we've got to go on is loosely educated guesses - the only thing for sure is that it can only be finasteride causing it. Oh and puffy-face minoxidil is a widely reported thing - it does cause allergic reactions in some users.

I would however like to log my interest in this thread and I would been keen to hear further updates to this. Hairloss is only a recent intruder in my life (I am 23 and it is freaking the sh*t outta me). I'm still considering going on propecia, and realize I haven't got a lot of time to make this decision, but am almost equally freaked out now by the horror stories I'm reading with reference to finasteride-related side effects.

Hope you get through this man - keep us updated.

wstef

Established Member
Reaction score
The puffiness it mainly under the eyes (commonly reported) and the sections each side of the nose. It could simply be water retention like many people report (minoxidil and finasteride can cause this I believe).

Anyway, it's no better recently. I've been on 0.5mg for the past week. I'll stick it out for a month and see if anything changes and if not I'll drop down to 1/4 of a tablet (0.25mg) and if no improvement in, say, 3 or 4 months I'll quit. I don't think it's worth it.

It takes me 30 minutes to get myself off, so god knows how long it's going to take if someone else tries!

wstef

Established Member
Reaction score
I think I might wean myself off Propecia for good.

I have read about this online and people have suffered with this problem for years after stopping.

I guess my hair is not as important as my sanity and a decent sex life. Perhaps this has been a lesson in vanity!

I'll stick to 0.5mg for another month and if no improvement I'll move to 0.25mg, then if still no improvement I'll quit it completely. It's a shame because it seems to be working.

wstef

Established Member
Reaction score
For anyone still interested, a lot of the sensation has returned today. Not so much when flaccid but when I orgasm it's MUCH better than it was last week. It's still not 100%, I can tell that, but throughout stimulation I can feel it whereas before I could only feel pressure until climax.

At work today I went to the toilet and I realised I could feel myself pissing, which I couldn't before (well, at least not from the tip of the penis like usual).

I'm going to stop taking it until December to see if it fully recovers and it if does, because it is working for me and regrowing my hair and I'll know this will return to normal if I do fully quit, I will start back up on 0.25mg and if no sides in 3 months increase to 0.5mg. That seems sensible in my head.

Guess what I done when I got home from work today? :p

RP3X

Established Member
Reaction score
Good to hear sensation has returned, and good advice all round.

I think your right, less usage of minoxidil with blobs on the hair and gently rubbing it in and some zinc into the diet will help.

When I went off my treatments recently I gotta admit it was nice to feel more perky again, but im back on all of them again
I cannot be 100% sure but stopping them due to my bad dark circles and fact my hair line was going not improving after 6 months+ I just figured to stop it all, but my frontal hair does not look as good as it did a year ago so am back on all solutions and treatments, I may add Zinc and nizoral shampoo again into the mix.

I feel I maybe able to improve my water bloated face/dark circles by exercise, something I dont really do anymore lol but ill see if I can add that into the mix!

wstef

Established Member
Reaction score
It's pretty much back to normal now, but because of that all I want to do is play with myself! Haha. It sounds seedy but because I was without it for a while I missed it!

I read that with many medications it's good to take a break for a week or two anyway, to stop the body from becoming used to it.

Next week I'll start on 0.25mg and see how I get on from there.

Exercise will help with everything to be fair. Humans don't do as much as they need to, especially those who work in non-manual jobs.

wstef

Established Member
Reaction score
Just an quick update.

I have been back on the full 1mg for about a month now and no signs of my orgasm being affected :D I am really pleased.

Oh, by the way I chucked out zinc. I read conflicting stories on it and judging by my diet I do no need it because I get more than enough. Perhaps this was one of the factors in the issue?

Needless to say, climaxing no longer takes 40 minutes, it's consistently pleasurable and I have no problems with partners.

I stopped it for around 10 days, then worked back up from 0.25mg, to 5mg then to 1mg again.

I suffered a shed (coincidental timing it seems), but now the hair is thickening up loads :D

imlosinit

Established Member
Reaction score
Best of luck wstef. Be very careful with this drug, esp the stopping and starting.

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
I often experiencing pain when ejaculating - I'm wondering if this is caused by finasteride.

as far as the time it takes to climax - I have the opposite problem - I usually 'shoot my wad' too quickly, maybe I just get too turned on. :woot: