Propecia and orgasm

wstef

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd update the post with a basic summary for anyone new reading this - This update is from 4th August 2012.

- Been on Propecia for 4 months
- The first 3 months my orgasms were dull. Sometimes they were fine, but most of the time they were crap
- I often had the "penis disconnected" feeling, but this has gone
- I recently added more zinc to the regime which has pretty much resolved this and my orgasms are back to normal

Effects I never got:

- I never had any issues with erections
- I never had any issues with loss of libido, if anything I got hornier in the first month or so (I assume due to hormones being all over the place)
- I didn't turn into a transsexual
- No issues with concentration (although my job is about as interesting as watching dead grass)

What I take/do for hair loss:

- Propecia (1mg finasteride)
- Regaine (Rogaine in the USA, minoxidil 5%)
- Zinc (25mg, but I also have a multivitamin which has 8mg of zinc and a calcium tablet which also has 12mg of zinc - I have taken the latter two before I started hair loss due to not eating much dairy)
- Nizoral twice a week

You can see my results here.

---- Original post ----

Hi, I've been reading for a few months but just registered!

I have only been on Propecia for just over a week and I am experiencing 1 side effect, which is reduced orgasm sensation.

It's still pleasurable, of course, but nowhere near what it used to be. I don't have any other problems with it.

However, coincidentally the day before I started taking Propecia I got a cold and still have it slightly now... (I haven't been ill for 2 years until last week!) I can't tell whether it's the cold or the Propecia which is causing it. I've never really took notice in the past when I have had a cold.

I have searched around and it seems some people experience this, but can't seem to find whether it's more likely to be temporary?

Now my brain is working over time and I am always conscious of this now - I imagine a lot of people suffer side effects brought on by worrying about side effects they don't have!

I think if it continues for the full month's treatment (I was only prescribed 1 month initially) then I will stop it because it's not going to be worth it.

Any ideas?

I want to keep my hair but I don't want to lose one of the best feelings nature has provided us with!

Cheers!

Prop

Established Member
Reaction score
probably is temporary however pay attention to your sensation

if is going to become more numb u could consider stop med

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The prostate likely has a lot to do with both the force and pleasure of an orgasm. Since finasteride atrophy’s the prostate, it is plausible that it may decrease pleasure. For me, I will almost swear it’s the opposite; even when I was a teenager I never had them as good as I do now at 30.

There are techniques you can use to strengthen the prostate and to increase pleasure in orgasms. Do some google searching and maybe you can find something that will help. In fact some guys (after purportedly years of training) are able to pull off having multiple orgasms without ejaculating. Wouldn’t that be a convenient method of birth control!

Rawtashk

Reaction score
Another possibility is that you're now actually paying attention to how things feel, whereas previously you just took them for granted. I mean, did you really concentrate on how it "felt" every time you busted a nut before you started worrying about potential side effects?

wstef

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

If I "tickle" my manhood I can barely feel it (even when it's not erect, I mean). It's as if I have had a mild aesthetic which is just wearing off. as if I have something 'blocking' the signal somewhat... Propecia?

Sensation in the rest of my body is normal.

Although I never concentrate like the way you describe, I never when I first realised it's not as great when I have an orgasm. I feel the 'pressure' of the orgasm fine, but the overall feeling is reduced.

There's no problem with achieving an erection, but I have noticed I don't get "morning glory" any more. I know a lot of people seem to get this as well, but how come? I always thought an erection in the morning was just to stop us pissing the bed!

Hairforever

Established Member
Reaction score
That's one type of morning erection the other is hormonal. I don't think you're imagining the effect of propecia on your manhood. It does seem to numb the sensations somewhat. If you want to put it to the test, come off it for a couple of weeks and see if there is any difference. No chance of premature ejaculation on finasteride!

Rawtashk

Reaction score
It is also very possible that the side effect will go away if you continue. I was assuming you were talking about the feeling you get when you bust a nut...didn't realize you meant the overall sensation of your manhood.

You might try stepping down to .5mg a day, or EoD to kind of "ease" yourself into it.

wstef

Established Member
Reaction score
The "build up" is also reduced a lot.

I'm essentially experimenting with Propecia and I think if this continues I'll reduce the dosage, and then come off it if there's no change. Any suggested timescales? I know the results - if any - won't show for 3 months at the extreme earliest, but how long should I wait to see if I stop having any side affects? 1 month? 3 months? The full year?

I understand that things take time, but I don't want that risk. I think I can hold on to the hair I have got... I started massaging it every night for about 6 months and if anything it made the current hair thicker and stronger and I didn't seem to lose any, or not any thing noticeable, but it took ages and was a proper chore so I replaced it with Regaine... 3 minutes versus 30 minutes a night.

I am slightly run down, so in the back of my mind I know it might just be this, but it's too coincidental that it started straight after I started Propecia, since I have never had it in the past.

I probably made the mistake of starting finasteride and minoxidil at the same time because if I do see any results, I won't know what's caused it so will have to continue with them both (like many seem to do anyway).

The things we do for vanity! I'm 28 and I still get ID'd for alcohol (18 is the age limit here, but they usually ask if you look under 21) and am probably one of the lucky few who looks younger with really short hair, but I don't think I can handle going completely bald!

wstef

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just been doing a bit more research and came across a Google Book, which suggests that DHT does control the intensity and general sexual functions in men, and some men reported better sexual activity after being treated with DHT patches.

"This conclusion is supported to a certain extent by studies showing a good correlation between plasma levels of testestorone or 5-alpha-dihydrotestosterone (DHT) and the intensity and enjoyment of sexual activity"

They also gave castrated rats DHT and estradiol and seen intense sexual activity (I assume castrated rats would not be interested in sex?).

link... - You may need to search for "DHT" on the left side.

I should stop looking into it because I'll end up making myself believe 100% that it is the Propecia.

wstef

Established Member
Reaction score
If anyone is interested, it's started to get a lot better. It's still not as great as it was in the past, but I have hope... probably a week or so... we'll see.

wstef

Established Member
Reaction score
A further update on this, if anyone is still reading...

It's improving a lot. It's hard to compare things retrospectively, but it's about as powerful as it was in the past.

Also, this week has been weird. I have been extremely horny. I did suffer a slight loss of libido in the first week (I put that down to my mind), but now I am the complete opposite.

It's to the point where I walk around town and all I can think about is how hot someone is and that I want to mount them there and then (OK, slight exaggeration there!). If I wasn't a sensible person I'm sure I'd be humping their leg like a dog! :jackit:

wstef

Established Member
Reaction score
This has came back :(

It's not as bad as before, but definitely not as great or powerful.

Any idea what would cause it?

Is it just the effect on the prostate? The alleged affect on neurotransmitters? Oestrogen increasing?

wstef

Established Member
Reaction score
This is still happening... orgasms are much duller than in the past and the "build up" isn't all too great. I've only been on Propecia for 2 months so I'll continue to see if it gets better.

I was browsing around the web about this and it seems quite common on body building forums when people are taking testosterone or testosterone boosters.

So... my theory is that it's not about the reduction in DHT but perhaps the increase in oestrogen from more free testosterone being present?

Any ideas of how I can get around this? I am starting to see results (someone asked me if I was growing my hair... I'm not, it just looks better!)

wstef

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I would change to anything else yet, unless it has the same proven results as finasteride.

RF102

Reaction score
Hey man keep us updated on how things are going. I finally decided to get on finasteride after 8 months on minoxidil and a keto shampoo. Just waiting on my order from inhousepharmacy

wstef

Established Member
Reaction score
It's still worse than it was in the past. I am hoping that it will eventually fade. To be fair, I've been whacking away more than usual just to test myself! Perhaps I should ease off a bit!

wstef

Established Member
Reaction score
...and it's got a lot worse recently, but this is because I recently got glandular fever (I think Americans know it as "mono"?).

I "pulled" last week and everything worked as expected. I have no problems with erections, just my orgasm isn't as great. It was improving but I think this illness has pushed it back a bit.

wstef

Established Member
Reaction score
...on top of my last reply, it seems to have got better with more supplementing of zinc.

I'm recovered from the illness (at least the effects of it now).

I have taken multivitamins with 15mg of zinc in for years (way before I started Propecia).

A few weeks ago I started to supplement with a zinc, calcium and magnesium pill (£4 for 100 pills). This has 8mg of zinc in, so roughly 23mg of supplemented zinc per day.

More recently I added 25mg of zinc about an hour after taking Propecia and this has helped things a lot and things are starting to feel so much better.

I have researched into zinc and although we can usually tolerate 40mg of zinc per day, it's safe to supplement more than that because we generally do not absorb the full amount (often just 20%)

One more thing is that in the past my dick would feel like it was a piece of rubber just attached to me, but this isn't the case any more and I have sensation of it being there.

The pills I pop:

- Propecia in the morning
- Zinc 25mg shortly after
- Multivitamin around lunch time
- 8mg zinc, calcium and magnesium before bed

I have taken multivitamins and calcium for years now, so the only real addition is the zinc and Propecia so it's no big deal for me.

My hair is definitely getting thicker and darker, and I can see clear regrowth.

I have pictures of my baseline around 4 months ago and in a month or so I'll take new pictures. I don't want to do them too close together because results are better seen further apart (especially since I am relatively new to this).