Propecia 6 years+ (PIC UPDATE!)

bubka

Reaction score
Most of this is the same from the intro story post

I was probably a the summer before my sophomore year of college when I really started losing my hair or the miniaturization began. I went to the dermatologist and he was pulling hair out like crazy and thought something was wrong. Had a scalp biopsy, which showed nothing, along with bloodwork… nothing, although my free and total testosterone levels were both below normal.

At this point I was freaking out, almost having panic attacks thinking about it. I am a very fit, good looking guy with the great blonde curly type hair (which evidently is hard to keep). I mean, I was known for the hair somewhat, so this was putting me into a death sentence. I started wearing the visor thing, and then hats, I NEVER wore them before. I became withdrawn from doing things where I could not wear a hat, freaking crazy. I was one of those assholes who would go out to the college bar with the baseball hat on. This is silly but I thought I could maybe be a priest because it would not matter… anyways…

See, I got a sample of Rogain from the Derm as I probably just had early androgenetic alopecia, though pretty aggressive. Used it for about a week, and it did nothing but irritate my skin. It is very sensitive to being with. The end of the week, I swear I woke up with a halo of hair around my head on the pillow. I moved the pillow slowly in the corner of my room to save it because I was in shock in awe. Now I look back and thought it could have been a good thing (the shed) but then again, it scalp was just so irritated and itchy from the monoxadil

Back at the Derm and I get the good stuff, Propecia. Also prescription Nazoral for the ichly flakey scalp that I now have. This was back in 1999-2000 so I don’t think this Dr. was fond of giving it out. Some just don’t understand the mental effects hair loss can have on some people, I think he was one. After starting I think I can remember a slight increase in loss, maybe till about month 3, but then I was golden.

Although I never totally lost all of that militarization look (you can see it if you know what to look for in guys who just start to lose it, women too), the hair thickened and even some in the temples. As a blond, you see a lot with the thinning on the crown more it seems. I had that, which has now thickened back to normal. Hairline is probably a Norwood 2 which a did get some back. Also, my hair is not as curly as it was. I mean I could do the big curly afro thing. But although it’s not “strait†hair, I would probably need to put in hair curling product to get it to do something close to that. I now have the cool messy hair cut look with is slightly spiked up in the front center and messier on top going down to the sides… I am sure you have seen it.

You know it’s crazy, I always had the hat thing going, and people knew I was losing it, but now I never wear a hat, except when running outside, and nobody has said anything to me. I mean, I remember guys looking up and seeing and probably thinking, oh “Luke is losing it†but now it’s totally different. I even have friends who I would like to say something to them to help out, but maybe it’s not my place.

Giving blood! I actually donated plasma (yes, for beer money) when I started but they never asked about finasteride. Maybe it does not matter in plasma rather then whole blood... Now years later in grad school, I wanted to give blood, went though the questions and they asked about proscar or finasteride… I was like, hold on??? I was like, yeah, I do take propecia. The nurse didn’t even know what it was (and a guy too) So I got my 30 day deferment and could not give blood. Though he said it looks to be working. It was a good day.

Anyways, I probably would not have finished college or be in grad school if it were not for this drug. I never had any sides either, except for the body hair loss thing. I was never really hairy at all, but geez, I have like the “happy trail†of a woman. Actually, I have seen women with tons more than me. Recently switched to ¼ Proscar because I went to get a new script at the university student health and the Dr. actually suggested it. I also think that working out and eating healthy helps too. I run a good bit and maintain a lean weight, I like the lean runner look. I read that soy helps too, I do only drink soy milk and other health crap like that so maybe that helps as well. Also a multi “mens one a day†vitamin most nights, with a kids chewable multi in the morning

There are more little things but if you want to know just ask. I hope I can help![/url]

RSG

Reaction score
That's a great story dude, well done! Do ever get concerned what the long term effect of this drug may be? You've been on for 6 yrs now. I've been losing hair slowly for the past 3 yrs or so. I’m 22 now. I had a short stint at propecia a about 4 months ago. Used it for 2 months, but when I visited my derm, he took me off it. He said long term effects aren’t known, and he doesn’t feel confortable prescribing to his patients. I feel as if my hair loss has worsened in the last 2 months. I can even pull my hair out by the hand full from the sides of my head. Did u have that problem, before you started propecia? I’m seriously thinking about going to another Doctor, and getting back on propecia. Seems as if it’s the only way to go. minoxidil has done jack all for me.

Anyway great story. Gives me confidence to start back on propecia.

bubka

Reaction score
finasteride / proscar, had been on the market for 15 years before i started using it... it's one of the older drugs out there really. It's been well studies, it's pharmacology is totally understood. So no, I am not that worried, having hair, very little body hair, and being able to go out in public and look good make up for any worries, which are none really. You have two options really, lose more hair, or get on finasteride.

About my Derm, I just don’t think they guy thought male hair loss was a medical “problemâ€￾ and not crazy about treating it

Yes, my hair came out like that, the sides too. I think initially you see a gradual thinning all over, at the end of puberty when you have some major hormonal changes like the reduction of HGH and increase in DHT.

Like I said, you can wait and lose more, or get on now. Even if minoxidil worked, doing that every night and morning would be tough. Let alone having your girlfriend over and say, oh hold on, let me put this on before bed….

RSG

Reaction score
mate you've convinced me. I'm going on propecia as soon as i can get my hands on it!

bubka

Reaction score
believe me, i wish i didn't mess around and wait and not say anything back when i started...

seriously though, there was even a study that showed that in young man it reduced the risk of prostate cancer, which if i am not mistaken, the most common in men

http://www.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/conditio ... ncer.drug/

also, if possible, get proscar and cut it into 4ths if possible if money is an issue :wink:

bubka

Reaction score
jay2K6 said:
also, if possible, get proscar and cut it into 4ths if possible if money is an issue

whats the difference between proscar and propecia?
proscar is Merk's 5mg finasteride product which dosage is optimal for treating Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH), Propecia is Merk's 1mg finasteride product which is optimal for treating male pattern baldness

no difference besides the amount of finasteride in the pill

bubka

Reaction score
i have heard that too, but if the solution is not evenly distributed, how the heck can anyone manufacture pills with a varying compound and expect it to be 5mg in each... seriously, i don't think it would even be possible to have the finasteride vary throughout the pill...

not cutting it up is not going to be an exact same amount in each, but thats becasue of the sizes, not whats inside

Subliminal

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't think it matters all too much if you're taking .5 mg one day, 1.5mg the next, 1mg the next... and so on. Every 4-5 days you're taking 5mg finasteride total.

powersam

Reaction score
Andrew_J - There is absolutely no way that what you suggest could be true. For it to be true the drug manufacturers would have to be making each pill individually which is simply inconceivable. In the simplest terms, they make a huge vat of said ingredients and then press it into pill form. As each pill has to contain a certain amount of finasteride, the huge vat of ingredients must have been a completely uniform mixture all the way through.

there is absolutely no way the active ingredient finasteride would be unevenly distributed throughout the pill. no way no how.

bubka

Reaction score
what PowerSam said, it would be almost impossible to do so, and if it were so, as i mentioned, there would be no way to regulate 5mg in each pill if it was not equally distributed

the_swami

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree, pharmies are mostly all made via pill press with a insane degree of accuracy. Seriously, some meds are in the microgram dosage range. Also worth mentioning is how many meds have a score mark on them just for the purpose of cutting them easier, think about it!

With vitamins it could be different if they're just powder in gel caps, but we're talking about a much more regulated industry. Although the good vitamin companies have very high quality control too.

bubka

Reaction score
thank man, you will, honestly, your hair, besides color, reminds me of myself, probably worse off at the crown, my crown was starting to get really diffuse

G

Hey Bubka,

in my story you wrote that my hair reminded you on yours and yes, I agree with you. Apart from the color we look like hair twins. I really hope to look like that in six years. Good Luck with keeping it another six years!