Progress Thread. Attempting More Natural Regime (no finasteride).

TanbarkBells

My Regimen
Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I've got nothing against finasteride but i don't love the idea of taking an expensive pill that messes with my hormones for the rest of my life. There's gotta be something else i can do that doesn't involve sucking the long dick of big pharma. So, here i am.

Bit of background. I'm 29 yrs old, been slowly thinning since i was about 20. I've taken finasteride a few times in the past. I was on-and-off with it between 2010 and 2012. I bought five 28 pill packs of Proscar (5mg finasteride. i.e. 3-4 month supply) in total throughout that time, but i was pretty inconsistent (in that i would neglect to take the pill on some weekends where i was out socializing) and i've never had a good enough level of income where i can consistently spend $80 on getting Proscar delievered to Australia every 3-4 months. Yes i am a low income earner, and would often have to wait several months before i can afford buying the next pack.
I also bought a pack in 2014, but again wasn't able to afford another pack afterwards so it was just a lone blip.

Not sure if it worked or not. I didn't ever notice any progress/growth. I never knew if maybe i was a bad responder, maybe my pills were fake, maybe i was too inconsistent. But i suppose it's possible that it slowed my hair loss down more than i realized. Who knows.

Side effects-wise I was depressed and anxious in that 2011 era (i'm fine now), but i have no idea if it was related to finasteride or not. Me and my GF of 4 yrs broke up in late 2010 and i moved out of town so i'm guessing it was probably more related to that, but who knows. I also experienced watery semen although that didn't bother me. The biggest side effect that i cared about was my bank account, lol.

I'm a big believer in natural remedies, and i figure that it's worth it even if it doesn't work because of the positive side effects of good health and well being. If it helps with hair loss then that's a win-win. Also, i'm not convinced DHT is the only element at play here. I believe it's more of a byproduct than the root cause. Hair loss is still a big mystery as far as i'm concerned, so i figure maybe i can help progress things by experimenting a little.

Anyway here's the regime:
- Nizoral shampoo (once every 3 or so days)
- Derma rolling and head massaging (i'm still waiting for delivery)
- Head massage & cold showers
- Restructuring my diet to feature mostly fruit and veg and nuts
- Exercise and work out (running at least once a week and lifting weights while listening to podcasts)
- Several supplements (details below)

Supplements:
- Pumpkin seed oil extract 1000mg (natural dht blocker and anti-inflammatory agent, and offers nutrients and minerals)
- Niacin extract 500mg (for blood flow)
- Fish oil 1000mg (essential fatty acids)
- Ho Shou Wu extract 560mg (also known as Fo-Ti. An ancient chinese recipe for youthfulness. I'm not expecting much from this particular one but it was only $7 so why not)

Pumpkin seed oil and Fish oil i will take every day. The other two more occasionally. Still waiting on the delivery of all the supplements so i wont be able to start properly for a couple of weeks.

Also considered Biotin and Probiotics but had to draw the line somewhere and save the cash.

Here's my baseline pics. I'll try provide updates every month or so.

Attachments

• IMAG0319.jpg
    IMAG0319.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 582
  • IMAG0321.jpg
    IMAG0321.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 556
  • IMAG0317.jpg
    IMAG0317.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 569
  • IMAG0316.jpg
    IMAG0316.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 537
  • IMAG0314.jpg
    IMAG0314.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 540
  • IMAG0313.jpg
    IMAG0313.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 496
  • IMAG0309.jpg
    IMAG0309.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 553
Last edited:

DoctorHouse

Reaction score

TanbarkBells

My Regimen
Reaction score
You need to understand you have aggressive loss and there is no way you are going to save your hair on a low budget natural hair loss treatment. Too bad you can't get access to a Costco and get a 3 months supply of Finasteride for $16. Good luck to you.
I'm 29 and my hair has been slowly thinning since i was 20. I wouldn't call that aggressive. Also, i don't believe DHT is the only cause, i think there are many other factors that science hasn't discovered yet. I will continue on my path.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Doctor Testosterone has been pumping up He Shon Wu as a good solution for hair loss.

Probiotics you should be getting from your diet: kombucha, yogurt, kimchi, miso, sauerkraut, etc.

It's good of you to experiment, but I recommend going no more than six months. It might not work, and if it doesn't, try finasteride or something.

TanbarkBells

My Regimen
Reaction score
Doctor Testosterone has been pumping up He Shon Wu as a good solution for hair loss.

Probiotics you should be getting from your diet: kombucha, yogurt, kimchi, miso, sauerkraut, etc.

It's good of you to experiment, but I recommend going no more than six months. It might not work, and if it doesn't, try finasteride or something.
Thanks David.

I will consider finasteride if this regime doesn't work. Luckily, if this regime doesn't work for my hair, then at the least i will have improved my inner health.

I include yoghurt in my smoothies, so hopefully that's enough probiotics.

Who is Doctor Testosterone? Would love to see a link. Google's not giving me much.

TanbarkBells

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would also like to point out that i received my supplements and started taking them about 5 days ago. I also received my derma roller yesterday. Let the games begin!

Last edited:

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks David.

I will consider finasteride if this regime doesn't work. Luckily, if this regime doesn't work for my hair, then at the least i will have improved my inner health.

I include yoghurt in my smoothies, so hopefully that's enough probiotics.

Who is Doctor Testosterone? Would love to see a link. Google's not giving me much.

Doctor testosterone is a youtuber. He has a PhD in neuroscience, but then he switched to running a channel trying to help men with manly things. He started off advising on how to naturally raise testosterone levels with lifestyle tricks such as blackout curtains.

He did regrow hair, but I don't know if he's honest about the he shon wu being his entire regimen.

TanbarkBells

My Regimen
Reaction score
Doctor testosterone is a youtuber. He has a PhD in neuroscience, but then he switched to running a channel trying to help men with manly things. He started off advising on how to naturally raise testosterone levels with lifestyle tricks such as blackout curtains.

He did regrow hair, but I don't know if he's honest about the he shon wu being his entire regimen.
This one? https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNEBUa29HdQkD-MTdVP9cCw

TanbarkBells

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, that guy.
Hmm, i don't know if maybe i watched the wrong videos, but intuitively he doesn't seem trustworthy to me. You can tell that his intent is more geared towards growing his brand, attracting clients and getting sales more than anything else. I get vibes of "classic snake oil merchant" from him

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
sorry bro but your regimen will not work . you should save your money or at the very least spend it on cheap bottle of minoxidil to get some result . you spend a lot of money in useless supplement .
Buy liquid minoxidil ( here in france this is 15 euros for 3 month ) . And generic propecia . And i am sure you will have great result

Hangin'on Hair

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
sorry bro but your regimen will not work . you should save your money or at the very least spend it on cheap bottle of minoxidil to get some result . you spend a lot of money in useless supplement .
Buy liquid minoxidil ( here in france this is 15 euros for 3 month ) . And generic propecia . And i am sure you will have great result

You know, minoxidil doesn't always work.

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
for sure i know it . it didn't work for me as well as propecia . But natural stuff are ttal bullshit .

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hmm, i don't know if maybe i watched the wrong videos, but intuitively he doesn't seem trustworthy to me. You can tell that his intent is more geared towards growing his brand, attracting clients and getting sales more than anything else. I get vibes of "classic snake oil merchant" from him

IMO he seemed a lot more sincere in his earlier videos when he was only discussing testosterone.

Since then he's expanded to discuss fashion, baldness, picking up women, etc and I find him less interesting.

Which is why I trust his early recommendations but not his most recent ones. Maybe he's right about He Shon Wu, but it's hard to be sure.

Hangin'on Hair

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
for sure i know it . it didn't work for me as well as propecia . But natural stuff are ttal bullshit .
I wouldn't say total bullshit. I've sprouted a few full on hairs on my temples without sucking big pharmas dick.
Just natural stuff. Not amazing results, but results none the less.

TanbarkBells

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't need to read your expressions of lack of faith in my experiment. How about we wait 6 months before being negative?

If mionx and finasteride didn't even work for you, i don't know how you can recommend it to anyone else.

Have you even tried natural supplements?

There are plenty of things that come from the earth that can have all sorts of affects on the human body. This is no different. The key is knowing the cause of your male pattern baldness. Every body is different

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
i would like natural stuff to work . i tried those for 2 years before propecia . because i was too scared of propecia . And unfortunately my hair were receding too .

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
i would like natural stuff to work . i tried those for 2 years before propecia . because i was too scared of propecia . And unfortunately my hair were receding too .

Your example proves the following:

1) The specific natural treatments you chose didn't work for you.

That's all.