Programme About Balding on BBC3 Tonight

The Dangerman

Established Member
Reaction score
Wash n' Gone said:
It was OK as a personal journey but any young bloke just starting to lose his hair and looking for information would have gained absolutely nothing from it other than a depressing feeling of inevitability and future social alienation.

Do you really think that? I'm not getting at you, just seems an extreme thing to say. Sure I would love to keep my hair but it's really not the end of the world. I don't even buy all this "I'll never get another girlfriend" balony. It's how you act. I know a couple of extremely charismatic baldies who are very popular with both men and women.

Wash n' Gone

Established Member
Reaction score
No. I don't remotely believe that. I felt the drift of the programme was towards that. It was because I disagreed with the overwhelmingly negative attitude bubbling below the surface on this documentary that I didn't like it very much. It was negative crap with a veneer of positivity tagged on the end. I very much share your view on baldness not being the end of the world. I will never get a girlfriend again though - it would annoy my wife ;)

The Dangerman

Established Member
Reaction score
I will never get a girlfriend again though - it would annoy my wife

Haha, just tell her it was to see if your hair regime was working, Im sure she would be cool with that....

I'm glad you don't think that though, I do worry about some people on here about how they think life is only worth living if they have hair.

Barry_Blue

Established Member
Reaction score
I missed most of it but there was absolutely NO mention of the big 3 proven treatments, other helpful treatment or online support groups (*heads up*) was there?
Seriously, I know the health service in this country is 3rd world at best anyway but the complete IGNORANCE about hairloss treatments in England completely astounds me. I bet 95% of balding men in this country don't even know what Propecia is, let alone the other "butters, creams and potions that won't do f*** all" - which I am constantly being reminded by friends, colleagues and even doctors!

I know we are still awaiting the big cure but the general consensus in the UK if you're thinning up top is just accept it or waste hundreds rubbing aromotherapy oil onto your scap!

Pondle

Reaction score
Barry_Blue said:
Seriously, I know the health service in this country is 3rd world at best anyway but the complete IGNORANCE about hairloss treatments in England completely astounds me.

Hmm, have you ever been to the Third World? Do you know how many life support machines there are in Zambia, for example? None, apparently! Now compare that to your £70 billion per annum NHS.

stampede

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The NHS is hardly "third world".

Still, it could (and should) be better.

Lucky_UK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I watched it and recorded it onto my laptop, its over 1 gig so I cant upload on to youtube, any suggestions?

I found it funny when that indian 'doctor' was pouring snake oil over his head and saying in a very strong indian accent "talking is prohibited" when the young guy was asking when he should see results.

For a documentary it was a let down, like many said here he didn't even mention the big three, things looked bleak for him looking at the extent of loss for his age and I reckon they should of had a few hairloss sufferers documented trying different treatments over two years.

Pondle

Reaction score
I think there was a recent BBC2 programme (Horizon?) on cosmetics that looked at hair loss treatments including Propecia.

Barry_Blue

Established Member
Reaction score
Itsonlyinmyhead said:
I know the health service in this country is 3rd world at best

Your an idiot. Let me guess you read the Daily Mail

I have damaged ligaments in my right knee. I am in constant pain and cannot walk without the aid of a crutch. As you would imagine for a sports mad young man like myself, that's a pretty poor quality of life. Do you know how long I have been waiting for an operation? A YEAR. Wanna know how long I'll have to wait still? Another 8 MONTHS. When I do eventually make it to the hospital, my own life will be in danger because I will have to brave the stinking, dirty, overcrowded wards and run the risk of catching one of the many superbugs for what should be a simple op on my leg. If I'm lucky I should get a nice bed in one of the spacey corridoors somewhere though.
Tony Blair is the idiot by continuing to royally f*** this country up the shitter by pumping our money into destroying Iraq rather then sorting out our joke health system.

But of course if the Daily Mail says so, it can't possibly be true :roll:

s.a.f

Reaction score
Barry_Blue said:
I missed most of it but there was absolutely NO mention of the big 3 proven treatments, other helpful treatment or online support groups (*heads up*) was there?
Seriously, I know the health service in this country is 3rd world at best anyway but the complete IGNORANCE about hairloss treatments in England completely astounds me. I bet 95% of balding men in this country don't even know what Propecia is, let alone the other "butters, creams and potions that won't do f*** all" - which I am constantly being reminded by friends, colleagues and even doctors!

I know we are still awaiting the big cure but the general consensus in the UK if you're thinning up top is just accept it or waste hundreds rubbing aromotherapy oil onto your scap!

You're missing the point,
this documentary was'nt supposed to be about treatments, the whole programme was about what its like to go bald and how it effects you hence the title 'I hate my bald head' the few treatments shown (amongst other things, concealers, hair transplants etc) were there purely to show the lengths people will go to to try and escape this condition.

Pondle

Reaction score
Barry_Blue said:
I have damaged ligaments in my right knee. I am in constant pain and cannot walk without the aid of a crutch. As you would imagine for a sports mad young man like myself, that's a pretty poor quality of life. Do you know how long I have been waiting for an operation? A YEAR. Wanna know how long I'll have to wait still? Another 8 MONTHS. When I do eventually make it to the hospital, my own life will be in danger because I will have to brave the stinking, dirty, overcrowded wards and run the risk of catching one of the many superbugs for what should be a simple op on my leg. If I'm lucky I should get a nice bed in one of the spacey corridoors somewhere though.
Tony Blair is the idiot by continuing to royally f*** this country up the shitter by pumping our money into destroying Iraq rather then sorting out our joke health system.

But of course if the Daily Mail says so, it can't possibly be true :roll:

The NHS isn't doing too badly. Labour increased spending on it massively. In 1997 the UK’s total expenditure on health care was one of the lowest in the EU at 5.5% GDP, but it should reach 9.4% of GDP in 2007-8. Between 1996 and 2002, performance in England improved across all measures of waiting times for inpatients and day cases: the total percentage of the population waiting reduced, and the proportion waiting less than six months for an elective admission increased to 80%. The NHS is England is better on these measures than the NHS in Scotland or Wales where health policy is devolved. I'd rather my local service was run from Whitehall - we'd have better provision!

biff

Established Member
Reaction score
Lucky_UK said:
I watched it and recorded it onto my laptop, its over 1 gig so I cant upload on to youtube, any suggestions?

You can compress it in Windows Movie Maker which you should have on your computer in "C:\Program Files\Movie Maker". Run moviemk.exe to open it then drag your uncompressed recording into the main window. Now drag the clip on to the top timeline underneath. Here you can trim the clip by dragging each end. You will need to split it into 3 as YouTube only allows vids that are under 10 minutes. Once you have done this make sure the Movie Tasks pane is open on the left, if it isn't click on the Tasks button in the menu at the top then select "Save to my computer" under "Finish Movie".

Name your clip and select the save location then in the next dialogue box select "Other settings" and select the quality you want the vid to be from the dropdown menu. I think it gives you an idea of how large the file will be. You will now have a compressed wmv file ready to upload on YouTube.