Programme About Balding on BBC3 Tonight

The Dangerman

Established Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think of the Hot or Not thing though? Of course things are always altered for TV, but taking it at face value(since that's all we can do) it was very interesting.

stampede

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The daft thing is that the £100 he spent on Ayurveidic quackery could, had he shopped around, bought him (p&p included):

£46.95 for 12 bottles 5% minoxidil from M******l UK

£12.48 for a massive bottle of nizoral from ebay

And over a year's worth of Fincar (assuming a fifth of a pill a day) for £42.79 from inhouse pharmacy

Okay, so I'm over-budget by £2.22, lol, but you get the idea... and he could do with paying this site a visit and sorting out his expectations... he gave up his regimen (as crap as it was!!) after four weeks!!! Nothing is gonna work in that time...

Nick4441

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The horseshoe on a young guy is a no no. When he shaved it off he lost 5-10 yrs off his age and looked good. He looked fine in the wig also but he didnt look any younger.

It was good to show shaving it off once you've lost too much is the way to go.

Didn't like even the little bit of hair transplant op they showed..put me off.

The place doing the systems tho was good and worth the money to get it right if your going to wear that.

Pitty they didn't talk about the real treatments that work instead of talking about and showing all the scams as if that's all there is.

That bird he pulled was hot....

Just kidding :lol:

stampede

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If there's one thing the program did for me it put me off ever having a hair transplant.

OMG never, never, never :x :x :shock:

s.a.f

Reaction score
The Dangerman said:
What do you guys think of the Hot or Not thing though? Of course things are always altered for TV, but taking it at face value(since that's all we can do) it was very interesting.

I dont know if it was rigged or not but the 2 pics were very different with hair he looked a bit of a dodgy character with 'staring eyes', and in the one without he was smiling and looked like 'a nice guy'. Personaly I'd say its a rough guide but cant be considered as highly accurate.

G

antonio666 said:
i atcully think that he looks better as a norwood 3 than he did before.
It could even be a very high mature hairline

haha

a very high mature hairline? no jude law definitely went bald to get to nw3. that may be as far as he ever goes but that is way more than a mature hairline. his temples are shot.

Sean68

Reaction score
i thought he was a pretty cool guy and i felt really sorry for him to have that much loss at the same age as me. made me feel pretty pathetic to be obsessing over my nw2 but at the same time what was he playing at? i thought the toupee he got was brilliant but then he just shaved it all off and he looked like he was having chemotherapy.

it had to be a set up to an extent i reckon. theres just no way he couldnt have known about the real products out there or maybe hes already tried them but taking gingko biloba and that those aromatherapy oils just made him look daft.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Wash n' Gone said:
It seems like the BBC looked for the biggest idiot in Manchester, gave him a camera and said "Make us a film about male pattern baldness".I didn't have high hopes for it, but it really was pitiful.

I agree with Sean68 the guy was pretty cool (to begin with)

The programme started well and really addressed some of the negative attitudes and stigma's associated with m.p.b.

Some of the things it featured (for those who did'nt see it):

He asked members of the public to guess his age (26) their guesses ranged from 34 - 42. When questioned all said it was due to his hairloss.
He confronted a magazine journalist who had mocked up some pics of celebrities as baldies and written a very negative peice about how they would look. (He then secretly showed her huge *** on camera :D )
He tried to join a band but when he took off his cap and revealed his horseshoe they were like ... :freaked2:
They interviewed some honest women who admitted that they did'nt find baldness attractive.

Being that the guy was only 26 and a nw6 horseshoe he managed to explain his experiences in a honest way. (This is something that most non baldies never get to hear about). I think the inclusion of all the snake oils etc was just to show desperate m.p.b sufferes that they dont work so dont waste your money. But at the end it seemed to conclude that shaving was the only option (for him maybe) but it never featured the proven meds that could help guys who only have moderate hairloss. Btw his newfound confidence at the end was not very convincing at all.

G

anyone find it on youtube yet? i'd like to see it. what was the title

The Dangerman

Established Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
I dont know if it was rigged or not but the 2 pics were very different with hair he looked a bit of a dodgy character with 'staring eyes', and in the one without he was smiling and looked like 'a nice guy'. Personaly I'd say its a rough guide but cant be considered as highly accurate.

I'd go along with that, and would explain the "4" with hair. However 8.7 without was fantastic. I would be more than happy to be voted 8.7! If you've got the face for it, being bald doesn't mean being ugly.

The Dangerman

Established Member
Reaction score
In my opinion he grew his horseshoe to exagerate the baldness, and to purposely age himself to make the show more dramatic.

I also think he was only trying the more alternative remedies for a bit of fun and to pad out the show - I can't believe he seriously thought they might work. There might also have been a more serious point that he was highlighting the fact there are people out there ready to rip us off. He did actually say that at one point.

Sean68

Reaction score
The Dangerman said:
In my opinion he grew his horseshoe to exagerate the baldness, and to purposely age himself to make the show more dramatic.

true but then it did seem like hed never shaved his head before. his scalp was really pink and it did seem new to him. i cant see why he didnt go for the toupee but then youd probably feel even more embarassed if everyone was used to you with a bald head.

it was quite poignant for me seeing another guy from manchester who went in the same places - that bar he was in i go in there quite a bit and feel self conscious with my nw2! pretty pathetic really.

antonio666

Reaction score
sean68,i think we should do a similar programme showing thew plight of norwood 1 to 2,with diffuse thinning

Sean68

Reaction score
to be honest after seeing that last night i feel relatively lucky. next time im in big hands im gonna look for that guy though - should be quite easy to spot him at least.

Sean68

Reaction score
JayMan said:
anyone find it on youtube yet? i'd like to see it. what was the title

no not there.not sure how the copyright works with the bbc.

The Dangerman

Established Member
Reaction score
The copyright issue with the BBC was resolved recently meaning BBC material should now be on.

For the benefit of JayMan it was on BBC3 - which is a digital only channel and doesn't have hightviewing figures so I wouldn't hold out much hope of it turning up on YouTube, though I could be wrong of course!

Wash n' Gone

Established Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
I agree with Sean68 the guy was pretty cool (to begin with)

The programme started well and really addressed some of the negative attitudes and stigma's associated with m.p.b.

Some of the things it featured (for those who did'nt see it):

He asked members of the public to guess his age (26) their guesses ranged from 34 - 42. When questioned all said it was due to his hairloss.
He confronted a magazine journalist who had mocked up some pics of celebrities as baldies and written a very negative peice about how they would look. (He then secretly showed her huge *** on camera :D )
He tried to join a band but when he took off his cap and revealed his horseshoe they were like ... :freaked2:
They interviewed some honest women who admitted that they did'nt find baldness attractive.

Being that the guy was only 26 and a nw6 horseshoe he managed to explain his experiences in a honest way. (This is something that most non baldies never get to hear about). I think the inclusion of all the snake oils etc was just to show desperate m.p.b sufferes that they dont work so dont waste your money. But at the end it seemed to conclude that shaving was the only option (for him maybe) but it never featured the proven meds that could help guys who only have moderate hairloss. Btw his newfound confidence at the end was not very convincing at all.
I just thought it was a bit of a missed opportunity. It seemed to be very poorly put together and just ran the gauntlet of the tired old stories about the snake oil salesman that prey on young men, without any proper attempt to look at what was out there and worked. It seems to me the overall feel of the programme was that he lacked confidence, Bald guys are socially disadvantaged and the only thing to do is shave your head and learn to love yourself. It was OK as a personal journey but any young bloke just starting to lose his hair and looking for information would have gained absolutely nothing from it other than a depressing feeling of inevitability and future social alienation. The unconvincing positive spin at the end and the whole contrived hot or not thing just seemed desperate. I hoped for something a bit more informative and realistic.