Progesterone Anyone Tried This Before?

SpaceInvader

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Progesterone (P4) is the natural bio-identical hormone as made in the human body.

The stuff found in contraceptive pills are progestins, like medroxyprogesterone, and they are synthetic derivatives that may have "progesterone-like" properties but are NOT progesterone.

You're right. I meant progestins!

NorwoodGuardian

Established Member
Reaction score
Lol at progesterone being a "female hormone"

Men produce something between 10-20 mg of progesterone daily, similar to women out of cycle

Strong biology ITT

It has anti-estrogenic properties but also anti-DHT, it has sedative and calming properties but also nukes libido almost completely.
Finasteride is a progesterone analogue, just look at the molecules.

Causes shedding and hair loss for me however, wouldn't use.

So in THEORY it should work, like finasteride?

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
So in THEORY it should work, like finasteride?

Well, I mean, as I've written above it is supposedly anti-DHT (and the way it wrecks my libido would seem to confirm that) but it also has anti-estrogenic actions and estrogen is good for hair, I suppose that is how it causes these large sheds.

Whether this would be a positive for your hair at the end of the day is determined by what ends up being reduced more, DHT or estrogen...
However it's going to be far more expensive and you will have similar side effects at least as far as your sex drive, it's also quite sedating which might not be pleasant at high doses.

I don't really think it's a viable alternative to Finasteride, at BEST it will work just as well for hair loss but have equally similar or perhaps even worse side effects.

Taking it orally is not an option as most will get deactivated, you have to use it transdermally via skin, either dissolved in something like vitamin E or DMSO (see products: Progest-E and Progestene), or some other type of cream.

In my case I've concluded is more harm than good for my hair. I only use it for it's anti-anxiety and sedative properties, like I'll put a few drops on my wrist before a job interview or something like that, for that mellow, chilled out feeling... Definitely wouldn't use it before a date though, unless I wanted to earn the nickname 'Limp dick Rick'.

:D

otis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Besides injections in the scalp I also had a script for a lotion made from a pharmacy . It does not help in male hairloss

NorwoodGuardian

Established Member
Reaction score
So the model answer to hairloss is still finasteride. I wanna know how many ppl get sides from topical finasteride. I've never tried finasteride but am considering to try the topical one.

Kevand

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been using a topical progesterone cream for 2 weeks now.

Experience:

A somewhat calming effect,
Removes scalp itch and soothing effect
Anti-fat in breast area
More body hair (not sure if progesterone causing this)
Flaccid states bigger (more blod flow?)
Reduced libido (dose dependant)
Stronger erection?

The cream also contains saw pametto, rosemary oil, retinol and other things so cant contribute all effects to progesterone. Next I buy only progesterone cream. Im using progesterone in quite high dose like 1-2 mg three times a day just to see if it has any regrowth potential, if it works I will try a lower dosage as maintain.

Kevand

Established Member
Reaction score
It probably asserts it's main effect through competing with testerone with binding of 5ar but some studies suggest it has anti-androgenetic properties. Progesterone ----(5ar)------> DHP. It has slightly more affinity to 5ar than testo.
upload_2017-5-25_16-28-15.png

This suggest that progesterone is mainly metabolized though anti-androgenetic routes in skin. 90 % to allopregnanediol.
upload_2017-5-25_16-29-17.png

Acne study progesterone only show effects on females:
upload_2017-5-25_16-32-13.png

Other studies:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1828548

Progesterone, levonorgestrel, and norethindrone demonstrated 97 +/- 5.3%, 47.9 +/- 6.3%, and 59 +/- 4.6% inhibition, respectively, of genital skin 5 alpha-reductase activity at 10(-4) mol/L (P less than .01).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3171218
Synergistic antiandrogenic effects of topical combinations of 5 alpha-reductase and androgenreceptor inhibitors in the hamster sebaceous glands:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2715647

Regrowth of sebaceous glands after castration and substitution with testosterone propionate or dihydrotestosterone could be inhibited by topical PM and PRO (progesterone).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/labs/articles/7235734/

Inhibition of Testosterone Metabolism and Lipogenesis in Animal Sebaceous Glands by Progesterone

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-25_16-24-18.png
    upload_2017-5-25_16-24-18.png
    48.9 KB · Views: 339

Kevand

Established Member
Reaction score
Quite evident that it blocks 5ar in skin. I don't see any problems converting this results to have an effect in vivo humans (as 5ar blocker in skin). Anecdoctal evidence is weak some say good results and some experience more hair loss.
You can follow this thread: https://www.baldtruthtaIk.com/threa...-used-to-combat-male-androgen-alopecia/page11

Kevand

Established Member
Reaction score
Lol at progesterone being a "female hormone"

Men produce something between 10-20 mg of progesterone daily, similar to women out of cycle

Strong biology ITT

It has anti-estrogenic properties but also anti-DHT, it has sedative and calming properties but also nukes libido almost completely.
Finasteride is a progesterone analogue, just look at the molecules.

Causes shedding and hair loss for me however, wouldn't use.

This seems too accurate with my own experience of effects (both anti-androgenetic and probably also anti-estrogenetic effects). If I may ask how long did you use topical progesterone, what product? Did it cause any scalp itch or soothing effect? When did you notice the shedding?

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
This seems too accurate with my own experience of effects (both anti-androgenetic and probably also anti-estrogenetic effects). If I may ask how long did you use topical progesterone, what product? Did it cause any scalp itch or soothing effect? When did you notice the shedding?

I use it a few days consecutively and I start shedding like a dog. I've given up on it totally.

I used Progest-E by Kenogen, and Progestene by IdeaLabs.

Kevand

Established Member
Reaction score
I use it a few days consecutively and I start shedding like a dog. I've given up on it totally.

I used Progest-E by Kenogen, and Progestene by IdeaLabs.

Aight did you feel any itching, what if it was a good shed?

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Aight did you feel any itching, what if it was a good shed?

No itching from the Progest-E but the Progestene DMSO made my scalp burn like a chemical peel.

I dunno if it was good but I got scared and stopped. It also affected my libido quite negatively.

drgs_not_hugs

Reaction score
DMSO has that effect

Why are you using it on scalp?
It's supposed to work systemically, apply it on your arm or whatever

Kevand

Established Member
Reaction score
No itching from the Progest-E but the Progestene DMSO made my scalp burn like a chemical peel.

I dunno if it was good but I got scared and stopped. It also affected my libido quite negatively.

Tnx pal

drgs_not_hugs

Reaction score
I've been using a topical progesterone cream for 2 weeks now.

Experience:

A somewhat calming effect,
Removes scalp itch and soothing effect
Anti-fat in breast area
More body hair (not sure if progesterone causing this)
Flaccid states bigger (more blod flow?)
Reduced libido (dose dependant)
Stronger erection?

Confirm all of the above
+Romantic dreams (not sexual, but specifically romantic)
+My groin is smellier than usual
+I started shedding. Taking it as a good sign

FCKW36

Experienced Member
Reaction score
In the German forum several people tested it. I used it myself for a year. It doesn't work against hairloss. It's useless. Don't waste your time...

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
I only use it before interviews and other high stress situations. It will flatten out your nervous tone and make you more laid back, calm, and less excitable. That's what it's good for.

Hair loss, not so much.

WMQ

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've only seen one report of taking systemic progesterone and getting hair benefit so far, and that was from a h&w patient on hair restoration network. He took oral prog and thickened up.

Most use it topically and k9 or rclark swears by it.

Effects are mixed for both males and females. The general consensus for female is that if you have estrogen dominance it could really help but if it's the other way around it could rape your hair. Not sure if the same applies to males.