Pretty early success???? 11/1 NEW PROBLEMS! SHOOT!

j3321

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all long time lurker, just got on a regimen and I wanted to share what's happened in first 8 weeks on minoxidil and finasteride and 12 weeks on Nizoral and Nioxin.

I am 23 and noticed my hair was thinning at 22. It was very slow so I didn't think much of it. I never had clumps of hair in my hands after shower or on pillow or anything like. However after about a year of this the diffuse thinning began to become apparent. Also 6 months into diffuse thinning I began to positively "bald" at the front. Now I am a very quiet, "scholarly" person. I like to read and I hate attention and avoid large groups like the plague so going bald isn't so horrible for me honestly. I'm not excited about it but I'm not in despair either. I can understand if a person loves going out and loves being the center of attention going bald would be pretty weird but I'm pretty reculsive by nature so it wasn't a huge deal to me. (In fact I felt like it made me a deeper person becuase I internalized the truth that we all rot away and get old. You don't beleive it until it happens!) With that said however, I am young and on the dating scene so I thought I wouldn't mind buying myself a little more time with my hair so I got on the "big three". I wanted to discuss my results so far.

1) Nioxin - I took Accutane in high school for acne (which permanently cured me in 6 months btw) and the derm at the time recommended Nioxin since Accutane dries out your skin so much. Since I've heard Minoxidil and Nizoral can potentially dry out the scalp I decided to get back on this shampoo to try to counteract that. I actually regret not getting back on this shampoo earlier just for the fact it is such a gentle, moisterizing shampoo and settling for cheaper shampoos instead (which actually you can get a whole Nioxin setup for like 19.99 on Amazon so it's actually not even that much more expensive).

2) Nizoral - I've always had kind of a scratchy scalp. My scalp gets dried out easily (and I think I've always used kinda crappy shampoos I think which did not help the situation), but I realized that my scalp was really itching and burning way more than usual. I would wake up at night and scratch. I did some research and I read that this is often a symptom of male pattern baldness. Since I am a diffuse thinner and had never experienced this much itch before I am pretty sure it is a symptom of male pattern baldness. I began a regimen of 2% Nizoral twice a week. After only 3 or 4 uses (about two weeks) the itching and burning absolutely desisted and has not ever come back. Nizoral really does cure this completely. I was using T-Gel prior to the Nioxin/Nizoral combo (just as a non-fragrence shampoo, not for hairloss or anything else) and it really make my head flake becuase of the anti-fungal properties and did absotlutely nothing to help with the "male pattern baldness burn". After all of Feburary 2010 on these two medications I never flaked again like on T-Gel or other shampoos and my itching and burning completely vanished (which was for me the best part).

So in conclusion these two products have had all very positive effect on me with no negative effects. Also they are affordable. You can get 6 months worth of Nioxin shampoo and conditioner on Amazon for like 20 bucks and Nizoral is pretty cheap on Amazon too and lasts for a pretty long time. I'm no where near finishing my bottle of 1% or 2% after 3 months use. So that is my "success" in that comparment in only 4 weeks. I think I got all the desired effects and no negative ones.

3. Propecia - I began Propecia at beginning of March 2010. It's only been 8 weeks but I have no sexual side effects and no shed either. It cost me $80 whopping bucks to get my first perscription of Propecia, so I talked to my doctor and she perscribed me generic Proscar cut into fifths (it IS possible to cut them into fifths by the way) instead. The great thing about this? IT ONLY COSTS ME 5 BUCKS!! Yep. It's a generic and it's covered by insurance so a whole month of finasteride is only 5 bucks. Sweet. I was worried about that. So no negative side effects so far but I doubt any positive side effects have been from Propecia since I've only been on it for 8 weeks.

4. Kirkland Liquid Minoxidil - This is a great product but the one I am experiencing most side effects with:
a) There definitly is a massive shed that occurs in first two weeks. I began on the 8th of March and my shed was pretty serious until about the 23rd then things went completely back to normal. I have a great picture of what a Minoxidil shed looks like precisiely for those who are nervous but I will put it up later once I have more pictures to upload. But anyway the shed sucked but stopped after 2 weeks and has not come back.
b) The other negative side effect is it is lightening up my hair quite a bit. Any suggestions on how to avoid this?
c) The third side effect is that it dried out my scalp. I realized after I got done using Nizoral I had some flakes on my scalp which I hadn't had until I incorporated Kirkland's into my regimine. I was on Nioxin and Nizoral for a month until I started Kirkland's. So basically I bought some 1% instead and that helped a little bit. I then tried using 1% Nizoral three times a week (which I heard 3 times a week is actually optimal) and things have been going okay. I think getting off the 2% twice a week and onto the 1% three times a week was smart. It is still drying out my scalp a little more than I'd like though. I began using Nioxin conditoner two times a day to moisturize my scalp and that has been working good, but I definitly feel like I am on the brink of flaking at any moment. It's a a pretty iffy balance. Any suggestions?

The good news is that I think that my regrowth is coming from Minoxidil at this point. My mom said my hair looked fuller and I think Minoxidil is saving my bald spot in the front from permanent follicale inactivity. There is plenty of peach fuzz in the front and several of them even turned dark after only 7 weeks! And I've heard the front is difficult to regrow! Any ideas about what I should expect? Is peach fuzz this early in the front a good thing? Will it stay peach fuzz since the front typically doesn't regrow?

So that is my story. I've got some good pictures but I'm going to wait until I have a few more to post them. I'm taking a picture everytime I get my haircut so I'll have some pretty accurate documentation coming. My mom said my hair looked fuller a few days ago so that is encouraging after only being on a regimen for 6 weeks (I don't really count the 6 weeks on Nioxin and Nizoral for much other than moisturizing scalp and settling the "itch"). So nothing too sensational just some encouraging beginnings. Any further advice is appreciated.

j3321

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Pretty early success????

Hey I've got three great pictures but I can't upload them. When I go to "add file" it just uploads for eternity. What gives?

sgtpep

Reaction score

try using a free image hosting web site and use the " " to post it

Reaction score

Hey buddy,

The same thing happened to me. Your pictures are too big. Go into MSFT paint and resize them to 50%.

FSHGLD

Established Member
Reaction score

Thanks for writing such a detailed post...i'm quite interested by what you said about the 'male pattern baldness itch', I've always had a particularly itchy scalp at the areas where i'm losing the most hair..in fact, over the past couple of years, I've pretty much been able to predict the way in which my hair loss would progress on the basis of where is most itchy. Though it's much more noticeable if I haven't washed my hair in a few days...Do you find that it's not that bad if you're particularly clean? I don't really itch at all for the first half a day or a day after I wash my hair...makes me wonder if I'd be less bald now if I was slightly more hygienic...
Anyway, just wanted to ask where you read it was a symptom? I haven't really come across anything..

j3321

Established Member
Reaction score

Okay sorry I didn't get my photos up earlier. I was expecting to get my haircut a lot sooner.

OKAY HERE IT IS!!! 2 MONTHS AND 11 DAYS!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 20,107
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 20,134
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 20,146

j3321

Established Member
Reaction score

FSHGLD said:
Thanks for writing such a detailed post...i'm quite interested by what you said about the 'male pattern baldness itch', I've always had a particularly itchy scalp at the areas where i'm losing the most hair..in fact, over the past couple of years, I've pretty much been able to predict the way in which my hair loss would progress on the basis of where is most itchy. Though it's much more noticeable if I haven't washed my hair in a few days...Do you find that it's not that bad if you're particularly clean? I don't really itch at all for the first half a day or a day after I wash my hair...makes me wonder if I'd be less bald now if I was slightly more hygienic...
Anyway, just wanted to ask where you read it was a symptom? I haven't really come across anything..

Hard to say because I always wash my hair everyday. Never really let it get too dirty.

It's all over the net. It's fairly common knowledge that there is a "burn." I guess as the follicles die they get inflamed or something? Just type in "male pattern baldness itch/burn" in Google and you'll probably get all you need.

andrei_eremenko

Experienced Member
Reaction score

looks great...got some question for you...did u ever noticed a shed? or you're thinning but without shedding? because this is my case...where did u get your minoxidil? online?

j3321

Established Member
Reaction score

andrei_eremenko said:
looks great...got some question for you...did u ever noticed a shed? or you're thinning but without shedding? because this is my case...where did u get your minoxidil? online?

I was thinning without a "shed" for about 9 months. Like I said I never noticed any extra hair loss than is normal. I guess it was just diffuse and slow. I shed once I started using minoxodil. It lasted about two weeks, the time between my first and second pictures is what my shed looked like.

I got my Kirkland's minoxodil on Amazon; 6 months for 20 bucks. I'll probably buy a year supply or so next time for around $35.

JWM

Reaction score

You might want to change the dates on your pics; you wrote May instead of March.

jhair88

Reaction score

Just a heads up: more than likely minoxidil is not drying out your scalp. The flakes you see are probably minxodil residue. In my experience (I use Kirkland as well), this is an unavoidable side effect and can only be combated by regular shampooing. Anyways great results!

j3321

Established Member
Reaction score

jhair88 said:
Just a heads up: more than likely minoxidil is not drying out your scalp. The flakes you see are probably minxodil residue. In my experience (I use Kirkland as well), this is an unavoidable side effect and can only be combated by regular shampooing. Anyways great results!

Are you sure? Because it's right after I use Nizoral that it happens. That's when it's the worst.

Anyway, my scalp isn't really so dry anymore...I guess my head got used to it. I moved down from using 2% nizoral to 1% and using it only 2-3 times a week instead of every other day.

reckless

Established Member
Reaction score

Congratulations, these are excellent results. My hairloss is pretty much exactly like what your's was. I've been on my regimen for just under a week.

I was wondering if you could answer a couple of questions for me.

1. How much minoxodil do you use each time? Is it 1ml or more?

2. How do you apply the minoxodil? Do you rub it into your scalp with your fingers or just spread it out?

j3321

Established Member
Reaction score

I use just 1 ml. I've never used more.

I do a bunch of dabs all over my head then usually spread it around a bit with my fingers, but not too much because I don't want to get too much of it in my hair. But I would say I do like a row of 5 drops, move up an inch, another row of 5 drops, move up an inch, etc. etc. Then I try to spread it around with my fingers. I'm not rubbing it in when I do that, just trying to gently spread it.

Averagejoe

Reaction score

Good results!I ll have to think about getting propecia.
I thought it would run over a hundred a month but if i can get a generic..
It might be doable.

j3321

Established Member
Reaction score

Okay important question everyone.

I will update with another picture at my next hair cut, but I am noticing that my hair is not coming back in the front. I completely grew back all my hair everywhere else in just 2 months or so but I'm almost at month 4 and my front is totally laggin...

Is it likely that I will not regrow any hair at the front? Or is it just very very slow?

(Also the front is where I started balding then it worked back from there for about a year. Perhaps because I did not take any medicine for a year the follicles at the very front are dead?)

Response appreciated.

FSHGLD

Established Member
Reaction score

By the looks of your hairline in the 1st photo no one would ever notice..I'd say just keep up with what you're doing and you may or may not get some hairline regrowth...but you're not too badly off either way

j3321

Established Member
Reaction score

Yeah I really can't complain. My hair is about 4 or 5 times that length in the picture plus an additional 2 months of the big three so you cannot tell at all I ever went thin. (Never thought I'd be able to say that again. I'm pretty happy just looking for some closure for psychological purposes.