Persistent Erectile Dysfunction After Discontinuation Of 5-alpha Reductase Inhibitor Therapy In Rats

hemingway_the_mercenary

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
doesnt dutasteride have a ridiculous half life , ~ 2months ? how can they recover within 2 weeks ?

First high sentience response of this thread

Given how hgh 0.5mg is for rats after 2 weeks the rats were still on an astronomically high dose even if their metabolism of the drug is quicker

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
One guess is the shrinkage of various androgen dependent (more DHT dependent) organs occurs, which then do not fully grow back to their original size in some people, for whatever reason. Why do they not recover? could be permanent downregulation of the 5ar2 enzyme, or, paradoxically, it could be androgen desensitization (instead of hyper-sensitization that 'should' occur). Who TF knows -- how deeply has it been studied on people?

You'd have to look at similar enzyme inhibiting drugs and see what their long term effects are, maybe that can connect a few dots... also remember, Finasteride is a prostate drug, intended to reduce the size of enlarged prostates, hairgrowth is a VISIBLE collateral benefit.... It's reasonable to assume thats theres hidden collateral damage as well! This may trigger some emotional Finasteride apologists -- nobody is forcing you to stop using it if you feel its helping.

I have quit Finasteride in 2016 (cold turkey) - used it for one year at 1.25 mg a day. I have been a completely different person since then. The only side effect that partially reversed was gynecomastia. I was left with permanently downregulated 5-AR in my whole body. Brain fog that makes it impossible to follow basic things (I work in IT and need my brain on a daily basis). Complete lack of motivation and drive in life, dick so numb that on some days it was almost impossible to orgasm at all. After a while noticed prominent veins, curving and shrinkage as well.

I spend so much money on supplements just trying to get back to NORMAL from this drug, and as that quote goes:

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."

I'm surrounded by clever and intelligent people who talk about advanced concepts while I have to repeat something in my head 5 times and break everything down into really basic blocks just to be able to handle the information. Thinking abstractly and quickly is impossible. Every day has been a struggle, I wonder how I even hold a job at times.

The only thing that has helped me mentally and I just found recently is phosphatidylserine (there is some evidence it upregulates 5-Alpha reductase). I will continue taking it for some months and see. I've had some improvements in libido and sexually by cycling strong Tribulus supplements but it's still nowhere as it used to be. Generally I don't talk about these things here because people who still swallow this sh*t daily react defensively.
The most interesting point is that while taking the drug I had almost none of these side effects (except gynecomastia), but after quitting it was a whole other story. That's when all hell broke loose...

Bklyn_23

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have quit Finasteride in 2016 (cold turkey) - used it for one year at 1.25 mg a day. I have been a completely different person since then. The only side effect that partially reversed was gynecomastia. I was left with permanently downregulated 5-AR in my whole body. Brain fog that makes it impossible to follow basic things (I work in IT and need my brain on a daily basis). Complete lack of motivation and drive in life, dick so numb that on some days it was almost impossible to orgasm at all. After a while noticed prominent veins, curving and shrinkage as well.

I spend so much money on supplements just trying to get back to NORMAL from this drug, and as that quote goes:

I'm surrounded by clever and intelligent people who talk about advanced concepts while I have to repeat something in my head 5 times and break everything down into really basic blocks just to be able to handle the information. Thinking abstractly and quickly is impossible. Every day has been a struggle, I wonder how I even hold a job at times.

The only thing that has helped me mentally and I just found recently is phosphatidylserine (there is some evidence it upregulates 5-Alpha reductase). I will continue taking it for some months and see. I've had some improvements in libido and sexually by cycling strong Tribulus supplements but it's still nowhere as it used to be. Generally I don't talk about these things here because people who still swallow this sh*t daily react defensively.
The most interesting point is that while taking the drug I had almost none of these side effects (except gynecomastia), but after quitting it was a whole other story. That's when all hell broke loose...

Wow this is nightmare-inducing. Sorry to hear all that. Losing or even partially affecting your cognitive faculties is a huge deal.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Did you try an AI like arimidex yet?

Tried letro, raloxifene... maybe modest improvement from the raloxifene but ralo is not good for long term use and I had side effects like leg cramping on it (it's one of the listed side effects).

I am hopeful that with some time of using these supplements I can return at least my mental function and motivation back to baseline because that is something that I need the most. I recently got a salary raise and now that the responsibilities are increasing with it, I really need to be able to think fast and efficiently more than ever.

LosingHairLosingPatience

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Tried letro, raloxifene... maybe modest improvement from the raloxifene but ralo is not good for long term use and I had side effects like leg cramping on it (it's one of the listed side effects).

I am hopeful that with some time of using these supplements I can return at least my mental function and motivation back to baseline because that is something that I need the most. I recently got a salary raise and now that the responsibilities are increasing with it, I really need to be able to think fast and efficiently more than ever.
R andro/DHT

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
R andro/DHT

Trying DHT seems like a "Duh!" obvious solution, but it's not really about DHT. It's about 5-AR. I've tried both DHT and the long-acting 11-keto variant - in small doses there is perhaps a mild stimulatory activity on 5-AR, but nothing drastic, in large doses it simply causes shutdown of testosterone production through negative feedback on pituitary and reduction of LH/FSH.

Raising 5-AR (and primarily in the brain/CNS) is primarily what's required here, and it's far, far easier said than done.

R-Andro / Androsterone is something I've wanted to try for a while though, so that may be a good idea.

infinitepain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
SO I stopped taking finasteride in April 2017, but even the 6 months befoer that I was slowly tapering off with minimal doses.

Nearly 2 years later and I'm still suffering from weak erections, watery semen and weak orgasm. It's actually gotten worse recently. FML

At least my finasteride-induced gyno cleared up from a dose of tamoxifen, so that's one less thing i have to worry about.

Which were your baseline and current DHT levels?

infinitepain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Trying DHT seems like a "Duh!" obvious solution, but it's not really about DHT. It's about 5-AR. I've tried both DHT and the long-acting 11-keto variant - in small doses there is perhaps a mild stimulatory activity on 5-AR, but nothing drastic, in large doses it simply causes shutdown of testosterone production through negative feedback on pituitary and reduction of LH/FSH.

Raising 5-AR (and primarily in the brain/CNS) is primarily what's required here, and it's far, far easier said than done.

R-Andro / Androsterone is something I've wanted to try for a while though, so that may be a good idea.

Thoughts of abnormally high DHT levels? mine was higher than normal range before I started taking the topical finasteride at least. Years later and I have no sides, still horny, but my semen is watery which I hate. Before I started I used to shoot massive loads, now im not a shooter anymore, maybe only the first one. Is it aging or the finasteride? f***. And im receeding so it didn't even work hairloss wise, perhaps it slowed down a bit but it's not enough. Im looking forward to dutasteride scalp inyections on the a french clinic, maybe every other month, that's what i've heard, however it's strange that it works since the average lifetime of dutasteride seems to be around 4 to 5 weeks, but i've seen studies with dutasteride injected on the scalp every 3 months and still with good results. This is my last shot, if it doesn't work, you tell me.

barfacan

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Have you tried getting tested for DHT and various 5AR proxies? I think the THF/5a-THF ratio is used, so is 3adiol (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3α-Androstanediol). With a proper clinician he should be able to see how 'active' your 5AR enzyme is working using various blood / urine markers. Maybe something like a clomid restart could trigger something positive as well...

kiwi666

My Regimen
Reaction score
So what are the drugs to watch out for?

Don’t tell me WAY is going to nuke my dick!!!!

veneno

My Regimen
Reaction score

me too man , ive been use it for 6 months on Finasteride(not dutasteride) and almost a month off now and nothing is close to what it used to be , its like a Daemon Drug , its the biggest mistake in my life ,have no ED probems but mental changes are undeniable, hope that peaople considering taking it read these comments , specially the young ones

Last edited:

PRM

Reaction score
Finasteride can make depression and anxiety worse for those who already have the problem. I used finasteride for more than 20 years and noticed that It had some impact on my emotional condition. Never had sexual problems while on It and after quitting.

Two years ago i started to reduce the dosage and totally stopped 4 months ago.
I feel better than when i was on the drug and the most curious is that my hairs haven't thinned since then.

Making a lot of sports and eating health can help a lot. I suggest ginger tea with moringa and some rhodiola rósea caps. These can give a boost on the energy levels.

Hope It helps Sorry for english mistakes

N003

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm on Finasterid almost 2 years.

I definitely have side effects.

My sperm volume has passed. If something comes out, then a drop and so extremely slowly.
Orgasm is still there, but the intensity has decreased by 90%.
In short, absolutely no satisfaction.

Baldness = Is for me personally a personal death. Already as a child I had a phobia against baldness. No idea why.

Finasterid: Hold your hair but take away your masculinity at the bottom of your buttocks.

In short: Both together, bald gene and Finasterid = hell ride.

INT

Reaction score
I'm on Finasterid almost 2 years.

I definitely have side effects.

My sperm volume has passed. If something comes out, then a drop and so extremely slowly.
Orgasm is still there, but the intensity has decreased by 90%.
In short, absolutely no satisfaction.

Baldness = Is for me personally a personal death. Already as a child I had a phobia against baldness. No idea why.

Finasterid: Hold your hair but take away your masculinity at the bottom of your buttocks.

In short: Both together, bald gene and Finasterid = hell ride.
Well everyone should make their own decisions but damn dude... I have a feeling you might regret this one day..

N003

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well everyone should make their own decisions but damn dude... I have a feeling you might regret this one day..

I think a lot of people have a problem with Finasterid with sperm and problems with orgasm.

veneno

My Regimen
Reaction score
the real problem is the permenant i neuro brain change
whats the point of living with 50%(or may be less) capacity brain, meanless life=hair .

INT

Reaction score
I think a lot of people have a problem with Finasterid with sperm and problems with orgasm.

Seems irrelevant to me. If your partner leaves you because your sex life is starting to disappear then I don't think that saying 'Well more people in finasteride have this issue" is going to bring her back...

Most men would not sacrifice 90% of their sexual pleassure...

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score
Seems irrelevant to me. If your partner leaves you because your sex life is starting to disappear then I don't think that saying 'Well more people in finasteride have this issue" is going to bring her back...

Most men would not sacrifice 90% of their sexual pleassure...

And I have known women that have cheated on their spouse or divorced them because of lack of sex. Note: I said lack, of not performance measurements. If you plan on being with a normal woman age 18-27 and have sex every six months, it's not going to end well. When she's 60, not going to matter much, but then, neither is baldness to her.

LosingHairLosingPatience

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

What DHT did you try, dosage/administratiom