Persistent Erectile Dysfunction After Discontinuation Of 5-alpha Reductase Inhibitor Therapy In Rats

NotInmywatch

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why the fk would u give a rat 0.5mg a day lmao.

this exagerated dose is in order to maximize the chance of side effects occurring. it's common practice in animal testing.
I found this part very interesting:

" Intermittent therapy has potential benefits with respect to physical function, fatigue, urinary problems, hot flashes, libido, and erectile function [26], as well as non-inferiority to continuous androgen deprivation therapy regarding primary oncologic outcomes [25, 27]. "

I think that until we no longer need this poison, such strategies are a relevant option to minimize its devastating side effects.

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score
SO I stopped taking finasteride in April 2017, but even the 6 months befoer that I was slowly tapering off with minimal doses.

Nearly 2 years later and I'm still suffering from weak erections, watery semen and weak orgasm. It's actually gotten worse recently. FML

At least my finasteride-induced gyno cleared up from a dose of tamoxifen, so that's one less thing i have to worry about.

I would love to know the actual biological mechanism behind such a lingering effect. Almost every medication, chemical, or toxic metal, short of some poisons are reversible much faster either naturally or by medical intervention. I wonder if testosterone therapy would completely reverse the effects.

HairSuit

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would love to know the actual biological mechanism behind such a lingering effect. Almost every medication, chemical, or toxic metal, short of some poisons are reversible much faster either naturally or by medical intervention. I wonder if testosterone therapy would completely reverse the effects.
It does not, sadly.

Bigbone

Established Member
Reaction score
Flat response curve
Not dutasteride though, right?

This is about dutasteride not finasteride. It's known that dutasteride stays in the system for way longer. It also never made it past phase 2 in the clinical trials. Might be a reason for that.

BaldAndBalder

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i wonder how they figure this out, do you think there is some researcher who specifically try to wank rats?
either way, thats good to know. trading erections for hair doesn't seem like a good deal to me

barfacan

Experienced Member
Reaction score

One guess is the shrinkage of various androgen dependent (more DHT dependent) organs occurs, which then do not fully grow back to their original size in some people, for whatever reason. Why do they not recover? could be permanent downregulation of the 5ar2 enzyme, or, paradoxically, it could be androgen desensitization (instead of hyper-sensitization that 'should' occur). Who TF knows -- how deeply has it been studied on people?

You'd have to look at similar enzyme inhibiting drugs and see what their long term effects are, maybe that can connect a few dots... also remember, Finasteride is a prostate drug, intended to reduce the size of enlarged prostates, hairgrowth is a VISIBLE collateral benefit.... It's reasonable to assume thats theres hidden collateral damage as well! This may trigger some emotional Finasteride apologists -- nobody is forcing you to stop using it if you feel its helping.

barfacan

Experienced Member
Reaction score
A paper I read suggested that somehow in these people aging of tissue in the penis has been induced by androgen deprivation. There was nothing wrong with their ar5 gene and the androgen receptors were ok as well but the penis tissue might have changed so you get the dick of an old man and that’s why they have ED. But I don’t know, and they don’t know 100% either

That's another plausible explanation.... In that case it may be potentially reversible, given some kind of targeted treatment, maybe direction DHT application to the affected areas. They need valid testing to see how the hormonal system is functioning after theyre off the drug -- practically nobody has baselines though so it's a difficult task.

I suppose it also depends on how long you've been on it, it could be a threshold phenomenon where your penis feels fine even when its at 40% damage, but at 45% it just completely shuts off... just wild speculation.. The alleged mental affects and spinal fluid changes are very scary too, point being there just needs to be more studies...in reality the world doesn't give a sh*t about lingering side effects of a patent-expired male pattern baldness drug so....good luck....

Last edited:

ScaredOfBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
this exagerated dose is in order to maximize the chance of side effects occurring. it's common practice in animal testing.
I found this part very interesting:

" Intermittent therapy has potential benefits with respect to physical function, fatigue, urinary problems, hot flashes, libido, and erectile function [26], as well as non-inferiority to continuous androgen deprivation therapy regarding primary oncologic outcomes [25, 27]. "

I think that until we no longer need this poison, such strategies are a relevant option to minimize its devastating side effects.
Yeah i have an agenda to push while u conclude finasteride is ' poison ' from a study done in rats with a huge dosis. Keep coping boyo.

Bigbone

Established Member
Reaction score
Exactly. dutasteride stay in the system for like 4-5 months
Which makes the study quite pointless, not only the fact it's rats, It's an overdose on dutasteride and also not giving them time to recover. What I wonder is why there are no studies like this on humans.

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I was doing 1mg daily finasteride for 1 year and than 6 months dutasteride 0,5mg daily. I stopped in sept 2017 and After 1 year (sept/oct 2018) i had erections problems ( my dick wasnt death but i cant get sex). Although the sex was after alcohol during the night. Now the situation its better. So be carefully guys with dutasteride. Hairs are nothing if you cant get an erection.