Permanent brain damage from finasteride?

Feelsbadman

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I have never ever been the same person since i took the first dosage. It's like part of my brain has been shut off. Even when i had major depression i was still always interested in learning and talking to people and learning about things and places etc. It's like i felt so good just learning and understanding things. I even was really witty and was always making jokes and loved making people laugh and smile. Now it's like somethign in my brain has shut off. I never feel like this. I feel like i have been numbed. I no longer have interest in laerning or anytihng. No matter what i do. it's very scary will i ever go back to nrmal?

TanDoc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I have never ever been the same person since i took the first dosage. It's like part of my brain has been shut off. Even when i had major depression i was still always interested in learning and talking to people and learning about things and places etc. It's like i felt so good just learning and understanding things. I even was really witty and was always making jokes and loved making people laugh and smile. Now it's like somethign in my brain has shut off. I never feel like this. I feel like i have been numbed. I no longer have interest in laerning or anytihng. No matter what i do. it's very scary will i ever go back to nrmal?

If you feel like your mood is being affected while you're taking it, that's possible. However, finasteride by itself is highly unlikely to give you "permanent brain damage" like the title suggests. I'd suggest seeing a counselor or therapist if you're feeling depressed and you're no longer taking the drug.

Last edited:

LongJohnTom

My Regimen
Reaction score
Finn is dangerous as hell. I remember getting off of it immediately after my dick stopped working on it. I rather have my sanity over a perfect sub-par hairline.

Here For the Lulz

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It‘s known that it can permanently change your brains composition due to its effects on your hormonal balance, but I wouldn’t call that brain damage.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, it probably can happen. You are suppressing 70 % of a natural hormone that is in your body in normal range . PLus you are inhibit a lot more than just DHT, cause 5-alpha reductase is used for many reactions in our body, like convert pregnolone into allopregnolone.
There is a reason why Glaxo never release Dutasteride for Androgenetic Alopecia. They where much more ethics than Merck. If you want to know how Merck worked but the same time they marcket Propecia, read about the Vioxx Scandal.

MrPortugal

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
When I used finasteride I felt like a zombie my brain was like in suspend mode.

The best treatment I use right now and works very well is if you want try

Minoxidil 1x every day and wash my head every day with ketoconazole 2% for 5-10 minutes.

SnortingFinasteride

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, it probably can happen. You are suppressing 70 % of a natural hormone that is in your body in normal range . PLus you are inhibit a lot more than just DHT, cause 5-alpha reductase is used for many reactions in our body, like convert pregnolone into allopregnolone.
There is a reason why Glaxo never release Dutasteride for Androgenetic Alopecia. They where much more ethics than Merck. If you want to know how Merck worked but the same time they marcket Propecia, read about the Vioxx Scandal.
Isn't it 5AR Type 1 that is mainly responsible for the conversion of neurosteroids ? In your example : "pregnolone into allopregnolone"..

Also, since Finasteride inhibits 5AR type 2 and 3, and has insignificant effects on 5AR Type 1, i don't see how it can cause moderate to severe cognitive impairement (compared to Dutasteride for example). Unless experts found out that 5AR type 3 also plays a role in cognitive function, which is still unknown at this point.

And btw, Glaxo didn't go through the hassle of FDA's approval of Dutasteride for hairloss because they knew they wouldn't profit from it like Finasteride did for Merck. Yet if you go to Japan or Korea, dutasteride is widely prescribed for BPH + for hairloss. There are no "ethics" going on for multi-million dollar pharmaceutical companies, it is all about the money.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Isn't it 5AR Type 1 that is mainly responsible for the conversion of neurosteroids ? In your example : "pregnolone into allopregnolone"..

Also, since Finasteride inhibits 5AR type 2 and 3, and has insignificant effects on 5AR Type 1, i don't see how it can cause moderate to severe cognitive impairement (compared to Dutasteride for example). Unless experts found out that 5AR type 3 also plays a role in cognitive function, which is still unknown at this point.

And btw, Glaxo didn't go through the hassle of FDA's approval of Dutasteride for hairloss because they knew they wouldn't profit from it like Finasteride did for Merck. Yet if you go to Japan or Korea, dutasteride is widely prescribed for BPH + for hairloss. There are no "ethics" going on for multi-million dollar pharmaceutical companies, it is all about the money.
Finasteride is a 5α-reductase inhibitor that blocks the biosynthesis of endogenous neurosteroids such as allopregnanolone and related 5α-reduced steroids

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score

"And btw, Glaxo didn't go through the hassle of FDA's approval of Dutasteride for hairloss because they knew they wouldn't profit from it like Finasteride did for Merck."
Hahahhhahahaahahahahaahahahahahhahaahhahahaahaha
Yes sure. A drug that can be take it only once a week and will give much, much better results than finasteride . haahahahhahahaahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahah
Yes dude, you are like a groupie of Propecia, not matter what they show you , you will ignore it.
4a5whQECMklEWswCcNC1981dKiCeW3ZwBYsUPYzx9yItg5g5k8.gif

SnortingFinasteride

My Regimen
Reaction score

Attachments

• dvdy23892-fig-0002-m.jpg
    dvdy23892-fig-0002-m.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 152

SnortingFinasteride

My Regimen
Reaction score
"And btw, Glaxo didn't go through the hassle of FDA's approval of Dutasteride for hairloss because they knew they wouldn't profit from it like Finasteride did for Merck."
Hahahhhahahaahahahahaahahahahahhahaahhahahaahaha
Yes sure. A drug that can be take it only once a week and will give much, much better results than finasteride . haahahahhahahaahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahah
Yes dude, you are like a groupie of Propecia, not matter what they show you , you will ignore it.
View attachment 158603
Actually, the graph that you uploaded seems to correlate with the study that shows how 0.1 mg Dutasteride was as potent as 5 mg Finasteride. The study was done for a duration of only 6 months though.. Also, Dutasteride is not that potent than Finasteride, so, i don't know how you can say "a drug that can be taken only once a week will give much, much better results than finasteride" when clearly, that is not the case.. Maybe using your brain more often before typing would help you in future conversations.

Before spamming the "h" and "a" keys anymore than you already did, you should know that plethora of guys are already very scared from trying Finasteride, based on its sexual side effects. If you were to present a drug, theoretically stronger than Finasteride, and with logically more chances of sexual side effects + a very, very long half-life, would you think that it would generate more income than its "safer" sibling ?

Last edited:

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was under the impression that neurosteroids is mainly synthesized with the help of 5AR Type 1, for which i am indeed correct.

I still don't get how Finasteride would affect that pathway, as it doesn't inhibit 5AR Type 1 (not to the extent of Dutasteride at least)..
First at all, Is not just DHT , This are all the reactions where 5-alpha reductase need it :
Second "I was under the impression that neurosteroids is mainly synthesized with the help of 5AR Type 1 " That is what Merck told us and was just pure propaganda. To understand how Merck works, search about the Vioxx Scandal.

whatintheworld

Reaction score
@Pigeon That is good information. Still, if you are in this situation, consider:

a) the potential side effects posted there or
b) the potential side effects of having nothing but a horseshoe left, and maybe even weakened donor so that you can't get a transplant.

Just imagine yourself in the situation of (b). Would you really be ok with that? It's easy to say, oh well I'll skip finasteride, I can deal with a little recession no big deal. If all I had was a little recession I never would have touched finasteride with a 10 foot pole.

Which is worse? Consider also:

if for (a), the probability of getting these is around 2%. Perhaps less if you do everything else lifestyle wise to minimize them, such as eating as healthy as you can, minimize stress, get adequate sleep, exercise, etc.

for (b) the probability is 100% guaranteed, for men who actually have aggressive hair loss, to happen.

Without finasteride I would 100% be guaranteed to be in the (b) category. The side effects of this would be depression, self loathing, brain fog, anxiety.

For me it was a no brainer to avoid the 100% certain side effects of option (b), and to start finasteride.

Catagen

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If all I had was a little recession I never would have touched finasteride with a 10 foot pole.
Who cares about NW1.5-3, real issue is NW6. People complain about not responding to finasteride, im yet to see someone go full diffuse into NW6 after starting finasteride at a low Norwood.
People be like, IM NOT MAINTAINING ON finasteride, my hairline recessed by 0,5mm meanwhile the rest of the hair got thicker, finasteride sometimes makes hairline a bit worse but in return you get thickening everywhere else, including donor.

whatintheworld

Reaction score
Who cares about NW1.5-3, real issue is NW6. People complain about not responding to finasteride, im yet to see someone go full diffuse into NW6 after starting finasteride at a low Norwood.
People be like, IM NOT MAINTAINING ON finasteride, my hairline recessed by 0,5mm meanwhile the rest of the hair got thicker, finasteride sometimes makes hairline a bit worse but in return you get thickening everywhere else, including donor.
Exactly