Oral Minoxidil Twice A Day Instead Of Once

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah i agree, you should start at the smallest dose and increase if you feel your body can handle it. I think a forum member here called georgie can't take anymore than 2.5mg, that's a good place to start.

I'mme

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Wasn’t counting but definitely shed a lot.

Yes, I’m about 5 months in and I’ve had massive regrowth and hairline has been filling in where I had lost hair a long time ago. I’m 37 and my hair is better now than probably 10 years ago.
Hi Michel. So you consume oral minoxidil 10 mg two time a day, right? What sides have you had till now?

I'mme

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How do you guys think oral minoxidil works? I mean if anyone is aware of mechanism.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
How do you guys think oral minoxidil works? I mean if anyone is aware of mechanism.

Same as topical, although i don't think anyone really knows how that works. Some people don't have enough of a certain type of enzyme on their scalp for minoxidil to turn into minoxidil sulfate, so using topical is useless for them or the results are minor, with oral that's not a problem.

I'mme

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Same as topical, although i don't think anyone really knows how that works. Some people don't have enough of a certain type of enzyme on their scalp for minoxidil to turn into minoxidil sulfate, so using topical is useless for them or the results are minor, with oral that's not a problem.
Thanks Derelict for the prompt reply.

Two mechanisms which are repeatedly told by dermatos, researchers are, it increases blood to scalp, breaks calcification and/or fibrosis and sth about pge2. I'm new so don't know much, but if these are the ways through which it works, then oral shouldn't work. But it does - we've seen that anecdotally as well as in some researches. I'm a bit confused; shall try to find it when I get time.

Michel Iorio

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah i agree, you should start at the smallest dose and increase if you feel your body can handle it. I think a forum member here called georgie can't take anymore than 2.5mg, that's a good place to start.

Yes, I agree.

Another variable is body weight I haven’t seen discussed.
Hi Michel. So you consume oral minoxidil 10 mg two time a day, right? What sides have you had till now?

2.5 mg twice a day

No sides at all.

Felt heart racing and light headed the first two weeks and that went away completely

Yakitori

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I believe a lot of people have actually struggled with starting with 5mg; even though it’s touted as a rather small dosage on these forums.

So cutting my 5mg pills in half would be a better start? Any good testimonies of having used 2.5mg or less out there? Keep in mind I didn't respond to topical at all.

Michel Iorio

My Regimen
Reaction score
So cutting my 5mg pills in half would be a better start? Any good testimonies of having used 2.5mg or less out there? Keep in mind I didn't respond to topical at all.

I never responded to liquid minoxidil and used up to 15% concentration.

Just try 2.5 mg for a couple of months and monitor progress. I’m 220 lbs so 5 mg was a decent dose but maybe you can get away with 2.5 and get similar results

1knox1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

I’m in exactly the same boat as you. No response from topical. Looking at oral.

@Warmer82 , @Obsessive , @Georgie have all used oral minoxidil; starting low.

Dr Davin Lim on YouTube is on 2mg.

A user called ‘hair today’ on YouTube was put on 0.25 mg and gradually was increased by his derm. It’s a really hit and miss subject.

Might be worth having a word with your Doctor, seems like very strong stuff this.

Last edited:

Obsessive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m in exactly the same boat as you. No response from topical. Looking at oral.

@Warmer82 , @Obsessive , @Georgie have all used oral minoxidil; starting low.

Dr Davin Lim on YouTube is on 2mg.

A user called ‘hair today’ on YouTube was put on 0.25 mg and gradually was increased by his derm. It’s a really hit and miss subject.

Might be worth having a word with your Doctor, seems like very strong stuff this.
I had to drop oral once and for all. It just killed me with the vasodilation issues. With derminator i'm hoping i can get something out of topical.

Warmer82

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Iast week ive increased to 1.25mg in morning and 1.25mg before bed. Weight increased extra 4lb, weight back to normal after few days. Body seems to adapt quickly

1knox1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Iast week ive increased to 1.25mg in morning and 1.25mg before bed. Weight increased extra 4lb, weight back to normal after few days. Body seems to adapt quickly

Good to hear from you again, hope you’re doing well.

I'mme

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I had to drop oral once and for all. It just killed me with the vasodilation issues. With derminator i'm hoping i can get something out of topical.
I recently happened to read a new study somewhere which concluded that tretinoin increases sulfotransferase enzymes. If that is true, I guess you have the answer.

I'mme

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Is ethanol a ingredient in minoxidil foam. Im sure its in the liquid version
Yes, it's the main vehicle. As funny as it may sound, ethanol (Iirc) also expresses/enhances aromatase expression, which is the 2nd main component in hair regrowth after reducing DHT, or DHT+T in some cases.