Oral Minoxidil If You Don't Respond To Topical?

1knox1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Nope.

I don't feel that I know enough about it. Not sides but more about if it's even likely to get regrowth if topical didn't work or if I just get a crazy endless shed that I won't recover from.

Literally the same as me. All I want is a bit more thickness. Topical does nothing but I don’t know whether to stop. But to keep using topical and it does nothing; ‘the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.’

I also believe you need a lot of a certain enzyme in your scalp for minoxidil to work. I must have none of that enzyme at all;

https://www.dermhairclinic.com/minoxidil-effectiveness-for-hair-restoration/

I have heard some really good things about oral from various searches;

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/minoxidil-tablets-vs-topical-application.104477/

https://www.hairlosscure2020.com/oral-minoxidil-to-treat-hair-loss/

https://www.hairlosscure2020.com/minoxidil-as-a-sublingual-tablet/

Dr Davin Lim posted a vid on YouTube stating that he’s swapped to oral minoxidil after using topical for 20 years too.

Last edited:

Yakitori

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Literally the same as me. All I want is a bit more thickness. Topical does nothing but I don’t know whether to stop. But to keep using topical and it does nothing; ‘the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.’

If topical does nothing for you then quit like I did. My hair health got significantly better when I stopped minoxidil so if it doesn't work, not worth wasting money, bother with the process of applying etc.

1knox1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If topical does nothing for you then quit like I did. My hair health got significantly better when I stopped minoxidil so if it doesn't work, not worth wasting money, bother with the process of applying etc.

You’re right. I just thought the transition might be easier from topical to oral. But if topical does nothing, then what’s the difference...

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey Derelict, I'm 7 weeks in on 2.5mg daily and I've experienced severe diffuse thinning on my scalp. How bad was your initial shedding and when did you start to see growth?

1.5 oral minoxidil, constant shed. Some light regrowth. Does anyone have information on oral minoxidil and hair cycles/lifespan?

Ziggyz123

Established Member
Reaction score
I honestly don’t think I have ever read one legitimate success story of anyone using oral minoxidil. It’s crazy, all anyone says is that they can not stop shedding and that they are losing ground.

I’ve toyed with using it myself so
Many times, but I had a shed from hell four years ago that decimated my hair and left my scalp inflamed to no end and I was using topical min and finasteride at that time. Makes me think that the shed cycle minoxidil could have caused also caused my inflammation seeing as so many follicles went dormant at once.

I hope one of you recover your hair on oral minoxidil.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I honestly don’t think I have ever read one legitimate success story of anyone using oral minoxidil. It’s crazy, all anyone says is that they can not stop shedding and that they are losing ground.

I’ve toyed with using it myself so
Many times, but I had a shed from hell four years ago that decimated my hair and left my scalp inflamed to no end and I was using topical min and finasteride at that time. Makes me think that the shed cycle minoxidil could have caused also caused my inflammation seeing as so many follicles went dormant at once.

I hope one of you recover your hair on oral minoxidil.
Really? I've personally had mixed success with oral minoxidil. Initially I regrew hair and got a general thickening which was great! Quickly results reversed though and I ended up worse than when i started. However, since switching from the tablets to drinking Kirkland's minoxidil I am very slowly regrowing that lost hair.. Its not terminal and I did go through a horrible shed but its a lot less now. If the hairs liquid minoxidil regrew turn terminal I will be a full head.

Ziggyz123

Established Member
Reaction score
Lol this is exactly what I mean. I remember reading that you were doing well, but couldn’t stop shedding which caused you to become worse off.

I had and still have the option to have actual Loniten prescribed to me monthly, but in reading about how everyone’s hair gets worse, I think it’s a dead end street.

Goodluck to you dude, did you happen to get any baseline pics for comparison ?

jared garnith

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Really? I've personally had mixed success with oral minoxidil. Initially I regrew hair and got a general thickening which was great! Quickly results reversed though and I ended up worse than when i started. However, since switching from the tablets to drinking Kirkland's minoxidil I am very slowly regrowing that lost hair.. Its not terminal and I did go through a horrible shed but its a lot less now. If the hairs liquid minoxidil regrew turn terminal I will be a full head.
DRINKING KIRKLAND'S MINOXIDIL WTF

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Lol this is exactly what I mean. I remember reading that you were doing well, but couldn’t stop shedding which caused you to become worse off.

I had and still have the option to have actual Loniten prescribed to me monthly, but in reading about how everyone’s hair gets worse, I think it’s a dead end street.

Goodluck to you dude, did you happen to get any baseline pics for comparison ?
If you check my created thread history I have a thread documenting my first 6 months of oral minoxidil which displays pics of my 'baseline'
Honestly when I started I was already a year into finasteride and noticeably ( to me ) below baseline.. I think oral minoxidil works just the same ( but better ) as topical minoxidil.. If the pills you're getting are legit the stuff definitely works, probably on everybody to varying degrees! For whatever reason the second batch of pills I got ( which were a different brand ) did not help my hair and I shed badly for about 8 months until drinking Kirkland's reduced my shedding greatly. Oral minoxidil is definitely a powerful and effective treatment but only when used alongside a medication like finasteride.

DRINKING KIRKLAND'S MINOXIDIL WTF
Its the exact same as taking genuine Loniten pills, only ridiculously cheaper :p
Besides extra body hair and occasional dark circles under my eyes in the morning I have absolutely no side effects. I believe that oral minoxidil gets a bad name due to the potential bad side effects but I can't say I've experienced any. Infact most here who have tried it have not had any bad or concerning side effects. Im not recommending you try it, I'm simply saying it doesn't deserve the negative press it sometimes generates!

jared garnith

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you check my created thread history I have a thread documenting my first 6 months of oral minoxidil which displays pics of my 'baseline'
Honestly when I started I was already a year into finasteride and noticeably ( to me ) below baseline.. I think oral minoxidil works just the same ( but better ) as topical minoxidil.. If the pills you're getting are legit the stuff definitely works, probably on everybody to varying degrees! For whatever reason the second batch of pills I got ( which were a different brand ) did not help my hair and I shed badly for about 8 months until drinking Kirkland's reduced my shedding greatly. Oral minoxidil is definitely a powerful and effective treatment but only when used alongside a medication like finasteride.

Its the exact same as taking genuine Loniten pills, only ridiculously cheaper :p
Besides extra body hair and occasional dark circles under my eyes in the morning I have absolutely no side effects. I believe that oral minoxidil gets a bad name due to the potential bad side effects but I can't say I've experienced any. Infact most here who have tried it have not had any bad or concerning side effects. Im not recommending you try it, I'm simply saying it doesn't deserve the negative press it sometimes generates!
I've been on it for a while and the side effects get more and more apparent as I went on for me so maybe use retin a or something for your face

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been on it for a while and the side effects get more and more apparent as I went on for me so maybe use retin a or something for your face
What side effects are you experiencing? Also do you think its helped your hair?

jared garnith

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What side effects are you experiencing? Also do you think its helped your hair?
lots of wrinkles around my eyes and large malar bags/festoons, old scars from years ago that faded to some degree also became more prominent. saging eyelids as well, just general symptoms of aging and it's crazy since I'm only 19, kinda makes me look like I abuse opiods, some people say it looks like I've been punched in the face. It hasn't really helped my hair it causes massive shedding and slightly slows down my loss at most I never regrew anything from the cyclical sheds. But my loss is really aggressive so I might not be the best example, just be sure to take care of your skin m8.

Ziggyz123

Established Member
Reaction score
This is what I mean. Even when I was on topical minoxidil, my face looked like sh*t. Kinda like I was tired all the time honestly. Sad that minoxidil just makes people shed and shed and shed and that regrowth can’t take place often times because of this.

I use 2.5mg of dutasteride and my hairline and hair in general won’t stop receding/thinning. I have seb derm, but it’s mild to where I’m just oily and itchy/burning. No crusts or anything. I was going to get on spironolactone and 2.5mg of minoxidil so I can reap the benefits of spiros effect on sebum, minoxidil effect on hair growth and dutasteride inhibition of dht, but at this point, I’ve been treating for 5 years or so with no relief. I’m sort of ready to shave it and move on from hoping to regrow or stop the loss.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
lots of wrinkles around my eyes and large malar bags/festoons, old scars from years ago that faded to some degree also became more prominent. saging eyelids as well, just general symptoms of aging and it's crazy since I'm only 19, kinda makes me look like I abuse opiods, some people say it looks like I've been punched in the face. It hasn't really helped my hair it causes massive shedding and slightly slows down my loss at most I never regrew anything from the cyclical sheds. But my loss is really aggressive so I might not be the best example, just be sure to take care of your skin m8.
Just to confirm you are using topical, right? That sucks how minoxidil isn't doing much for you and making your face look bad.. I count myself as fortunate as I use oral minoxidil, finasteride and Cypro with minimal side effects.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is what I mean. Even when I was on topical minoxidil, my face looked like sh*t. Kinda like I was tired all the time honestly. Sad that minoxidil just makes people shed and shed and shed and that regrowth can’t take place often times because of this.

I use 2.5mg of dutasteride and my hairline and hair in general won’t stop receding/thinning. I have seb derm, but it’s mild to where I’m just oily and itchy/burning. No crusts or anything. I was going to get on spironolactone and 2.5mg of minoxidil so I can reap the benefits of spiros effect on sebum, minoxidil effect on hair growth and dutasteride inhibition of dht, but at this point, I’ve been treating for 5 years or so with no relief. I’m sort of ready to shave it and move on from hoping to regrow or stop the loss.
I would try Cypro over spironolactone, both have anti sebum properties, not to mention Cypro is a lot more effective! I felt that finasteride sped up my loss but Cypro has seemed to slow it down a bit, maybe it can help you.

jared garnith

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just to confirm you are using topical, right? That sucks how minoxidil isn't doing much for you and making your face look bad.. I count myself as fortunate as I use oral minoxidil, finasteride and Cypro with minimal side effects.
Oh I'm on oral at like 7 mg a day, should have specified.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh I'm on oral at like 7 mg a day, should have specified.
An odd dose to take.. How are you measuring it? Positive it actually is minoxidil? Are you on any other treatments?

Ziggyz123

Established Member
Reaction score
I would try Cypro over spironolactone, both have anti sebum properties, not to mention Cypro is a lot more effective! I felt that finasteride sped up my loss but Cypro has seemed to slow it down a bit, maybe it can help you.

Does Cypro KILL your dick dude..... that’s strong...

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
I didn't even notice until today because i have been focusing on my crown, but when wet and combed forward i could see scalp on the top of my head(diffused thinning) now it's hardly noticeable, that's only just over 3 months on oral minoxidil. Wasn't expecting results that fast, maybe my crown is better than i think im not sure i haven't been taking photos as often as i should have been. Still no bad sides to report.

jared garnith

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
An odd dose to take.. How are you measuring it? Positive it actually is minoxidil? Are you on any other treatments?
I have 10 mg loniten pills and have half of one in the morning and a fourth at night, I'm trying to taper down really slowly as I'm going to try cb soon. and yeah I got them from the same place another member did who did had regrowth but similar sides