opinion please (pics)

bandm

Reaction score
ITNEVERRAINS said:
At your stage, you are noticing it alot more than anyone else. I like the advice of waiting 6 months and comparing photos. at 19, even if your male pattern baldness is kicking in and you're losing hair, odds are those follicles are still resting and could be brought back with finasteride/minoxidil if you so chose to use. 6 months from now at 19 isn't going to have one iota of success/fail for finasteride/minoxidil. I would not use nizoral everyday. 3-4 times a week is plenty, maybe consider a baby/organic shampoo on days off. Just relax and enjoy being 19, trust me, its not as bad as you think it is.
Thank you for sharing your opinion. I just notice some thinning at the top and sides, and i have days that i shed more hair than other days (but i think that thi is normal).
I just use nizoral 2% two times a week (monday and friday), and i use a herbal essences shampoo on days off, but maybe i should change it for a baby shampoo.

wotsthedeal

Reaction score
Your hair loss looks very, very similar to my own. Your temples look fine, no signs of loss there, but it does look like your crown is getting a little bit thin. Overall though, you've still got a great head of hair.

I first started noticing my hair loss right before my 19th birthday (massive sheds), so our situations seem pretty similar. I think the best advice I could give you would be to not panic. I did at first and I really think it sped up my loss. It could just be in my head, but my hair feels and (seems to) look healthier when I just forget about it and go about my business as if I had no hair loss to begin with. For what it's worth, I am now 23 and my hair has hardly changed in the past few years. For all the panic I felt when I first started getting sheds, I still haven't received a single comment from anyone about my hair being thin, and my parents think I'm crazy for worrying so much about it a few years ago.

It's also worth noting that I have not used hair loss treatments at all over the past four years. I've used Nizoral at times if my scalp was inflamed, but I could never bring myself to start taking Propecia (too many horror stories of side effects and massive, sometimes irreversible sheds), and certainly couldn't commit to doing the Rogaine thing. If my hair loss continues to advance, maybe I'll jump on Propecia at some point since my only real thinning so far seems to be in the crown area, which is where finasteride is supposed to work best. For the time being, however, my hair loss doesn't really seem to be going anywhere and I am content to wait for the next generation of treatments.

Everyone's hair loss is different, so it's hard to accept advice from people online. You will find a lot of helpful threads on here however, especially people's personal stories. These should help you to decide what's best for you. Keep in mind that treating hair loss is a big commitment. Better to not do it at all than to do it for a bit and then stop.

alexstorm

Reaction score
I've never understood the myth of masturbation :jackit: and hair loss. When a guy gets jiggy with a girl we usually ejaculate at the end of it anyway. If you masturbate you ordinarily ejaculate as well what's the big difference? Except for an obvious preference for a hot chick with a great bod :tongue: as opposed to jerking your own gerkin :blush:

So if you c*m with a girl you'll be a NW2 but if you c*m alone you'll end up a NW5? I see a lot of NW4 and NW5's in my area, now I know what they get up to on the weekends.........that's the last time I shake hands with any of them By the way I'm a Norwood 2.5/3 :whistle:

bandm

Reaction score
wotsthedeal said:
Your hair loss looks very, very similar to my own. Your temples look fine, no signs of loss there, but it does look like your crown is getting a little bit thin. Overall though, you've still got a great head of hair.

I first started noticing my hair loss right before my 19th birthday (massive sheds), so our situations seem pretty similar. I think the best advice I could give you would be to not panic. I did at first and I really think it sped up my loss. It could just be in my head, but my hair feels and (seems to) look healthier when I just forget about it and go about my business as if I had no hair loss to begin with. For what it's worth, I am now 23 and my hair has hardly changed in the past few years. For all the panic I felt when I first started getting sheds, I still haven't received a single comment from anyone about my hair being thin, and my parents think I'm crazy for worrying so much about it a few years ago.

It's also worth noting that I have not used hair loss treatments at all over the past four years. I've used Nizoral at times if my scalp was inflamed, but I could never bring myself to start taking Propecia (too many horror stories of side effects and massive, sometimes irreversible sheds), and certainly couldn't commit to doing the Rogaine thing. If my hair loss continues to advance, maybe I'll jump on Propecia at some point since my only real thinning so far seems to be in the crown area, which is where finasteride is supposed to work best. For the time being, however, my hair loss doesn't really seem to be going anywhere and I am content to wait for the next generation of treatments.

Everyone's hair loss is different, so it's hard to accept advice from people online. You will find a lot of helpful threads on here however, especially people's personal stories. These should help you to decide what's best for you. Keep in mind that treating hair loss is a big commitment. Better to not do it at all than to do it for a bit and then stop.
I am scared of propecia side effects and massive sheds as well :(
So you had thinning in the crown area, just like me, at the age of 19? And now you are 23 and it never got worse ?

ali777

Reaction score
alexstorm said:
I've never understood the myth of masturbation :jackit: and hair loss. When a guy gets jiggy with a girl we usually ejaculate at the end of it anyway. If you masturbate you ordinarily ejaculate as well what's the big difference? Except for an obvious preference for a hot chick with a great bod :tongue: as opposed to jerking your own gerkin :blush:

So if you c*m with a girl you'll be a NW2 but if you c*m alone you'll end up a NW5? I see a lot of NW4 and NW5's in my area, now I know what they get up to on the weekends.........that's the last time I shake hands with any of them By the way I'm a Norwood 2.5/3 :whistle:

It's about the frequency and high number of ejaculations. You might have heard the myth that people in relationship do not have regular sex, but some men still :jackit: despite being in a relationship. Thus, a high number of ejaculation still remains.

With young people it's different. They may or may not have a girlfriend, but they do :jackit: a lot... It's this high number of ejaculations that they are worried about.

Sorue

Reaction score
So.. how many times per day's considered high? I've been :jackit: pretty much once a day, almost every day for a few years now. Would that have 'sped' up my male pattern baldness?

ali777

Reaction score
Sorue said:
So.. how many times per day's considered high? I've been :jackit: pretty much once a day, almost every day for a few years now. Would that have 'sped' up my male pattern baldness?

If my personal experience is anything to go with, I did lots of :jackit: when I was a young lad and I never had hairloss back then.

Maybe the number of ejaculations is not such a big factor in hairloss (my experiment sample is 1 person). I can understand that :jackit: is a minor factor in increased DHT, but then our diet and lifestyle are probably more important in this aspect. Aerobic exercises are supposed to be a good way of reducing DHT.

However, if your hair follicles are susceptible to DHT, you need drugs like finasteride to have a fighting chance. Most of the natural remedies will not be enough.

ali777

Reaction score
bandm said:
People, let's don't turn this in a 'masturbation causes hairloss?' thread please..

Dude,

you brought the subject up. This is a "hair loss talk" forum, we talk about things. You wanted our opinion, and others jumped into the thread to tell/ask their opinions. There is nothing wrong with that.

Besides, the things we said were never over the top. We've been pretty civilised in our conversation.

bandm

Reaction score
ali777 said:
bandm said:
People, let's don't turn this in a 'masturbation causes hairloss?' thread please..

Dude,

you brought the subject up. This is a "hair loss talk" forum, we talk about things. You wanted our opinion, and others jumped into the thread to tell/ask their opinions. There is nothing wrong with that.

Besides, the things we said were never over the top. We've been pretty civilised in our conversation.
I know :)

wotsthedeal

Reaction score
bandm said:
So you had thinning in the crown area, just like me, at the age of 19? And now you are 23 and it never got worse ?

I don't blame you for worrying about Propecia. When I was desperate - thinking that my hair loss was going to be really bad - I actually went so far as to order the pills, but I could never bring myself to take them.

Like I said I started noticing huge shedding right before my 19th birthday. For some reason I was always focused on my crown and never really gave a second thought to my temples, so maybe that's why I thought my crown was getting so bad. Like yourself, I haven't really developed a real bald spot on top, but my hair is a little thinner up there. Noticeable to me, but it doesn't seem to be that noticeable to others. Anyway my thinning at the crown seemed to hit its peak my second year of college, when I was 20, and hasn't really progressed noticeably since then.

I hate to give advice on hair loss forums simply because everyone's hair loss takes such different forms. When I entered college, I thought everyone would notice that I was thinning, but in four years I never got one comment about it. On the other hand, certain guys I knew from freshman year who had great heads of hair now have noticeable thinning, so there's really no way of knowing what yours is going to do. I would talk to balding guys in your family and ask how their's progressed.

If I had to give you advice, I would say take excellent care of your scalp (maybe start shampooing with Nizoral every few days) and keep it from becoming inflamed. I think scalp inflammation is pretty much the worst thing that can happen to hair loss sufferers. My worst phases of hair loss were my freshman year in college when I went through a big time bout of Seborrheic Dermatitis. I would hold off on the Propecia if I were you, and here's why: for starters, your main area of thinning is at the crown obviously, which is where Propecia works best. So if you continue to thin, you could always start using Propecia down the road and probably be successful. The other reason is that you have such a nice head of hair right now that I would not want to risk having big time sheds if you started taking it. I think it would probably be better for you down the road if it really becomes clear that you are losing your hair (aggressively). Obviously this advice is influenced through my own personal experience, so I recommend that you a. look into your family's history of hairloss, and b. do as much research as possible before you decide what you want to do.

bandm

Reaction score
wotsthedeal said:
bandm said:

I don't blame you for worrying about Propecia. When I was desperate - thinking that my hair loss was going to be really bad - I actually went so far as to order the pills, but I could never bring myself to take them.

Like I said I started noticing huge shedding right before my 19th birthday. For some reason I was always focused on my crown and never really gave a second thought to my temples, so maybe that's why I thought my crown was getting so bad. Like yourself, I haven't really developed a real bald spot on top, but my hair is a little thinner up there. Noticeable to me, but it doesn't seem to be that noticeable to others. Anyway my thinning at the crown seemed to hit its peak my second year of college, when I was 20, and hasn't really progressed noticeably since then.

I hate to give advice on hair loss forums simply because everyone's hair loss takes such different forms. When I entered college, I thought everyone would notice that I was thinning, but in four years I never got one comment about it. On the other hand, certain guys I knew from freshman year who had great heads of hair now have noticeable thinning, so there's really no way of knowing what yours is going to do. I would talk to balding guys in your family and ask how their's progressed.

If I had to give you advice, I would say take excellent care of your scalp (maybe start shampooing with Nizoral every few days) and keep it from becoming inflamed. I think scalp inflammation is pretty much the worst thing that can happen to hair loss sufferers. My worst phases of hair loss were my freshman year in college when I went through a big time bout of Seborrheic Dermatitis. I would hold off on the Propecia if I were you, and here's why: for starters, your main area of thinning is at the crown obviously, which is where Propecia works best. So if you continue to thin, you could always start using Propecia down the road and probably be successful. The other reason is that you have such a nice head of hair right now that I would not want to risk having big time sheds if you started taking it. I think it would probably be better for you down the road if it really becomes clear that you are losing your hair (aggressively). Obviously this advice is influenced through my own personal experience, so I recommend that you a. look into your family's history of hairloss, and b. do as much research as possible before you decide what you want to do.
I would use nizoral every day, but wouldn't that dry my hair to much?
And about my family, i only have one person that is real bald, an uncle, half-brother of my father. My other uncles and my grandfathers they all have hair. Of course they don't have a lot of hair like they used to when they were young, but they have hair and not just only the scalp, except that uncle.
But i never knew my grand grandfather and so on, so i don't know..

wotsthedeal

Reaction score
I only use Nizoral on a daily basis if my scalp has become inflamed for whatever reason. Otherwise, I'd use it every third day or so. On other days, I use baby shampoo.

After hearing your family history, our situations sound even more similar. I have minimal hairloss in my family tree. One bald uncle, my dad has a full head of hair and he is near 60 years old. My paternal grandfather was totally bald, but my maternal grandfather had a full head of hair when he died.

Your hairloss really seems pretty minimal right now, and I don't want to give you the wrong advice but it hardly even seems as if you have male pattern baldness at all. On the other hand, thinning at the crown doesn't exactly bode well for the future. If your temples are still thick and intact though, it's always possible that there are other factors at play (scalp health, diet, stress, etc.). I would give it some time and if things get worse and you are worried about further loss, hop on finasteride. Start with very small doses, that way you can try to avoid side effects and also be prepared to increase dosage down the road if the effects start to wear off.

For now, take comfort in the fact that you have a very solid head of hair and it's doubtful that anyone will be able to notice the loss within the next few years. Get out there and have some fun.

bandm

Reaction score
goata007 said:
your scalp looks inflammed...try something that reduces inflammation before going on propecia
I think that my scalp is inflammed for a long time.. I thought that dandruff was the problem, because i had a lot of dandruff and itchy, and i thought that that turned my scalp a little red.
After i start using nizoral twice a week the dandruff disappeared, but the itchy and the redness continues. And the hair that falls from my head comes with something, like the root or some other foliccule (it's green/yellow). And when i start scrathing my scalp, i can take off more of that with my nails
Can this be the problem for my thinning or hair loss?

Obsidian

Reaction score
Dude you have male pattern baldness, scalp inflammation/sd/excess oil comes with male pattern baldness territory.

bandm

Reaction score
Obsidian said:
Dude you have male pattern baldness, scalp inflammation/sd/excess oil comes with male pattern baldness territory.
What do you think about my pics?

Obsidian

Reaction score
This is just my opinion...

While it could be slow moving, it may not be. Everybody's chemical makeup is different, wotsthedeal could still have barely noticable thinning like my dad at 55 but you could have thinned out in a balding area while still keeping your hairline at 25. If your hairline isn't being affected (you still have the same hairline you were born with) that is a good sign that Propecia could work. Have you checked your family history about baldness, if you have any relatives who went bald in their twenties, I would have much more cause for alarm. Like me since my maternal grandfather was a slick NW6 at 25/26 years old and I am only 21 so that very much concerns me.

Nizoral is not going to make those bald patches go away if you want them too, you need a DHT blocker if you want that to happen. If you are still having trouble with inflammation I suggest adding T-Gel (tar gel) shampoo into the mix.

bandm

Reaction score
Obsidian said:
This is just my opinion...

While it could be slow moving, it may not be. Everybody's chemical makeup is different, wotsthedeal could still have barely noticable thinning like my dad at 55 but you could have thinned out in a balding area while still keeping your hairline at 25. If your hairline isn't being affected (you still have the same hairline you were born with) that is a good sign that Propecia could work. Have you checked your family history about baldness, if you have any relatives who went bald in their twenties, I would have much more cause for alarm. Like me since my maternal grandfather was a slick NW6 at 25/26 years old and I am only 21 so that very much concerns me.

Nizoral is not going to make those bald patches go away if you want them too, you need a DHT blocker if you want that to happen. If you are still having trouble with inflammation I suggest adding T-Gel (tar gel) shampoo into the mix.
First of all, thanks for your opinion :)
Well, like i said before: "And about my family, i only have one person that is real bald, an uncle, half-brother of my father. My other uncles and my grandfathers they all have hair. Of course they don't have a lot of hair like they used to when they were young, but they have hair and not just only the scalp, except that uncle.
But i never knew my grand grandfather and so on, so i don't know.."
So what do you think?

Obsidian

Reaction score
Well then my guess is just to monitor it for the next six to eight months then. Not everyday, but say the beginning of each month take pictures of the spots that are (or you think are) being affected by thinning. If you notice in the pictures it developing worse or staying the same then I wouldn't worry too much about it but still always keep an eye on it. It is good to know though you have realistic expectations about your hair not looking as awesome as you get older than expectating it to look like Brad Pitt at age 45