Once And For All; Can Dutasteride Make The Front Worse?

Upnadam10

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sure dude, show me studies with 100% having sides or shut up. Have no time or energy debating this sh*t over and over again because some dude on forums knows it all.

If you think it's bad for you just don't take it. I'm just sharing my experience, that's all.
Just ignore these guys. They’re just jealous of the good responders... I know I am lol.

would you mind sharing your regimen?

Hair-pun

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just adding to this thread now because I read it religiously in the first few months of using Dutasteride while watching my frontal third reduced to nothing, hoping that it was just a shed. My history is that I started losing hair again after 9 successful years on finasteride and switched to dutasteride hoping it was a miracle cure. For me dutasteride was amazing at the crown but it's no better than finasteride at the front and I continued to lose at the same rate as on finasteride. I'm posting now to reach people who are also in the first few months of dutasteride usage, so they can address the frontal loss before it's too late. It may be a shed for some people but it definitely wasn't for me, the front continued to thin dramatically and I'm at about month 11 now. It's clearly not coming back.

So, to counter this, apply 50mg RU58841 in 1ml/ 1.5ml of stemoxidine (apply with a dropper) daily to clean, dry hair (most effective straight after showering) to the front to protect it from the Testosterone increase that dutasteride is responsible for. If I had done this from the outset I might have held on to a NW2 but I'm now a solid NW3. Keen for others to not wait until it's too late and then regret it like I have. If you're losing from the front it could be a shed but better to protect it with RU from the minute that you notice the front going downhill just in case it isn't. If at month 6-12 you get loads of hair back at the front then great- it was just a dutasteride shed and you can gradually reduce the RU dose (while keeping an eye on shedding) until you can drop it completely. However, if you just maintain or lose at slower rate then stick with the RU because it's probably holding back a sea of Testosterone from ravaging your frontal follicles. If you're squeamish about using RU due to lack of studies you could order CB instead. However, it's so expensive you'll probably only be able to afford a very low daily dose which is not effective (minimum 5% to be effective but that's like £4 a day)- I tried this first but wish I had just gone straight for RU as that's where I'm at now but it's now too late to save a decent head of hair... Good luck everybody!

Last edited:

sonictemples

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just adding to this thread now because I read it religiously in the first few months of using dutasteride while watching my frontal third reduced to nothing, hoping that it was just a shed. I'm posting now to reach people who are also in the first few months of dutasteride usage, so they can address the frontal loss before it's too late.
It may be a shed for some people but it definitely wasn't for me, the front continued to thin dramatically and I'm at about month 11 now. It's clearly not coming back. Apply 50mg RU in stemoxidine daily to the front to protect it from the Testosterone increase that dutasteride is responsible for. If I had done this from the outset I might have held on to a NW2 but I'm now a solid NW3. Keen for others to not wait until it's too late and then regret it like I have. If you're losing from the front it could be a shed but better to protect it with RU from month 5/6 onwards just in case it isn't

RU58841 has a fairly short half life (which is the entire point of the drug), and when receptors get bonded by substances (androgens or its antagonists), the receptor count will increase. And since the half life is very short, it will send your follicles flying once there are way too many receptors on a specific tissue. 1-2 hours of protection, afterwards at least a dozen hours of damage with WAY more receptors. It’s a shitty double-edged sword.

Hair-pun

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
RU58841 has a fairly short half life (which is the entire point of the drug), and when receptors get bonded by substances (androgens or its antagonists), the receptor count will increase. And since the half life is very short, it will send your follicles flying once there are way too many receptors on a specific tissue. 1-2 hours of protection, afterwards at least a dozen hours of damage with WAY more receptors. It’s a shitty double-edged sword.
This is very interesting- I am new to RU so this could well bite me in the arse further down the line. What do you recommend? I know I was losing hair very quickly without it so it's kind of my last hurrah before i get a hair system

sonictemples

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is very interesting- I am new to RU so this could well bite me in the arse further down the line. What do you recommend? I know I was losing hair very quickly without it so it's kind of my last hurrah before i get a hair system

I know, I can’t find anything either :/

Hair-pun

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Honestly I think after finasteride fails it's kind of a fire fight to hang on with what remains, but I need to know that I did everything that I could when I look back on this period.
All is not lost though- I met a guy who wears a hair system recently and he was very happy with it as a solution. It's obviously not as good as a full head of real hair but for me it's a better solution than being bald

sonictemples

My Regimen
Reaction score
Honestly I think after finasteride fails it's kind of a fire fight to hang on with what remains, but I need to know that I did everything that I could when I look back on this period.
All is not lost though- I met a guy who wears a hair system recently and he was very happy with it as a solution. It's obviously not as good as a full head of real hair but for me it's a better solution than being bald

Did you try setipiprant etc.?

Hair-pun

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No- I don't really know anything about Seti or these treatments- would you recommend?

sonictemples

My Regimen
Reaction score
No- I don't really know anything about Seti or these treatments- would you recommend?

It cleared my shedding, what’s your Norwood now?

Hair-pun

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That’s interesting- I’m a diffuse NW3. Seems to be going downhill pretty quickly though!

Moosey

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Theres so much bro-science and discussion about this whole androgen receptor topic, i wouldnt take these things at face value and i wouldnt share information like that as if its a fact.

If you are up for it and can find a source, minimum amounts of topical bicalutamide, or darolutamide

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Some people lose their hairlines on dutasteride, on finasteride, or on no treatment at all. For me using dutasteride only helped my hairline. People too often mix up correlation with causation. Just because x happens when you do y it doesn't mean doing x causes y. You have to be able to repeat that to begin to show causation.

Hair-pun

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Some people lose their hairlines on dutasteride, on finasteride, or on no treatment at all. For me using dutasteride only helped my hairline. People too often mix up correlation with causation. Just because x happens when you do y it doesn't mean doing x causes y. You have to be able to repeat that to begin to show causation.
I definitely agree- I guess I’m suggesting that my experience is a typical one, which it may not be. It just seems that many people report the same thing- that they lose their hairlines on dutasteride. I’m putting my ‘what I should have done’ in the public domain to hopefully help others make better decisions earlier on- to give them a better chance to keep more hair. I felt pretty badly informed and feel I’ve messed up since finasteride stopped holding my hair

Last edited:

Hair-pun

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Theres so much bro-science and discussion about this whole androgen receptor topic, i wouldnt take these things at face value and i wouldnt share information like that as if its a fact.

If you are up for it and can find a source, minimum amounts of topical bicalutamide, or darolutamide
Thanks for this insight- I am very interested in bica/ daro. I’d definitely prefer to use a properly tested drug. I just don’t really know where to buy this/ dosage/ vehicle. Are you able to PM me with any ideas? Thanks!

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
For what’s worth. I strayed topcial Dutasteride after 1.25 years in topical Finasteride and added daily RU at 50mg.

was doing the Dutasteride once’s a week, Finasteride and RU daily (not at the same time)

huge immediate shed after first application, worse the following week. My hair loo was diffuse everywhere but hairline was still 1.5.

Stopping the Dutasteride and RU hoping I can keep what’s left with the topical Finasteride. Huge mistake lost a year’s worth in a month.

would love more on the receptor / up regulation topic. Seems like RU is a solid answer until CB comes out but if it’s starts a fire then what’s the point.

Moosey

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for this insight- I am very interested in bica/ daro. I’d definitely prefer to use a properly tested drug. I just don’t really know where to buy this/ dosage/ vehicle. Are you able to PM me with any ideas? Thanks!
Bicalutamide or darolutamide are as much of a "tested drug" as a drug can be. Its just that they were not made for hairloss. They definetely work though. Darolutamide is the strongest anti-androgen that acts on the receptors, bicalutamide is weaker but still much much stronger than RU.
Bicalutamide has a half life of 6 days which makes it kinda dangerious. I dont know where to get these. These are powerful, dangerious drugs, you wont get your hands on it the legal way. There are many "illegal" online pharmacies out there though. Only thing you need to do is actually get it delivered to your doorstep without issues.
These are all experimental, as i said. Theres a chance you put some daro on your scalp and you wake up with perfect boobs the next day and a firm, shapely womans arse

Hair-pun

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hehe thank you for this. I’m up for some gentle feminisation, I’d finally get the attention I crave at work. Do you feel that it is safer to use these or RU? Obviously no one knows the long term health risks of ru but these drugs seem potentially quite dangerous to use for hair loss...

stejames

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
if 2dut + 5fin dont help will upping to 3 duts+ 4Fins be any different?

I was on finasteride for 20+ years and although it didnt stop receding it slowed it way down.

Hair-pun

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
After finasteride fails it's not going to be easy to keep your hair anymore- or at least that's my experience. dutasteride was not significantly better for me so i'd recommend taking it at least every other day but it's up to you. Also don't expect it to be any better than finasteride at the front, for me i'm still losing at a similar rate though the back of my head looks decent

stejames

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
After finasteride fails it's not going to be easy to keep your hair anymore- or at least that's my experience. dutasteride was not significantly better for me so i'd recommend taking it at least every other day but it's up to you. Also don't expect it to be any better than finasteride at the front, for me i'm still losing at a similar rate though the back of my head looks decent
and thats the fear/bummer. finasteride was so steady for so long.

1 dutasteride a week wasnt worrisome until the crazy 6 week shed. the only reason I stayed on 1dut/6fin for 4 months was because I was concerned of sides since shed was so bad.

when I added 2duts/5fin (now 4 months) I dont notice any improvement could argue still losing. Never had second shed when adding extra dutasteride which was a relief. All of the literature I read seems to say 2duts should be enough.

I will talk to derm about adding 3rd. Also heard 4months on 2 isnt enough time to judge however its 8months since adding dutasteride to routine.