OMG after 14 years it FINALLY STOPPED!!

abzg

Reaction score
ferritin level 47

Hi Ladies,

I know this is a very old thread i'm just hoping someone may be floating around with any updates on Ferritin and Elisabeths cocktail.

I have been losing my hair for 2 years from stopping birth control and have literally spent 2 years like a maniac researching 24/7... lost it completely :/

I have recently had my ferritin levels back at 47... is this even low? and would this even be a possibility for my hair loss, i just dont know if im clutching at straws.

Advice much needed before I have a break down xxx

bree

Reaction score
Just Rambling

Hi Ladies,

I know this is a very old thread i'm just hoping someone may be floating around with any updates on Ferritin and Elisabeths cocktail.

I have been losing my hair for 2 years from stopping birth control and have literally spent 2 years like a maniac researching 24/7... lost it completely :/

I have recently had my ferritin levels back at 47... is this even low? and would this even be a possibility for my hair loss, i just dont know if im clutching at straws.

Advice much needed before I have a break down xxx

I just want to respond to you because no one else is. I want to say I feel for you. I really wish I had an answer and that elisabeth would share more about her story believe me. I want to say keep trying and don't stress to hard! Keep up the research and also keep your head up! I have been taking iron and vitamin c supplements along with a plant based multi vitamin. My ferritin was at 32 and I got bumped up to 46...I haven't gone back to get checked yet but I am soon. I will be changing over to a liquid iron from the health food store after I do get checked well because I just don't trust the Walmart brand. I am sure it works but I think it also is hurting other things in my body. So ANYWAY do your research on the vitamins you are taking! Please all I ask is that you and everyone else don't stress don't worry (I do it too yes but like I said before I kept myself distracted while still taking my vitamins and taking care of myself with the things I read and I was a lot happier) I have not seen any regrowth I still am losing hair but no where near as much I think it is at a normal rate now. I have been eating a lot healthier like more protein and I can see the hair I do have getting longer! Anyway I am not sure what else to say but not to give up! Sorry for rambling and not helping really at all I just felt you needed a response! :)

labellavita1985

Established Member
Reaction score
I'll chime in too.

47 is not a low ferritin number, and unlikely to have caused hair loss, in my opinion . I personally don't place a lot of stock into the idea that low ferritin alone can cause hair loss. My ferritin was 6.7 when I had it tested about two months ago, but I still don't attribute my hair loss to low ferritin alone.

I wouldn't even supplement with your ferritin level without the approval of a doctor. It's highly unlikely a ferritin of 47 caused your hair loss.

It sounds to me like it might be hormonal in nature, as you noticed the onset of hair loss after discontinuing birth control pills.

A fluctuation in hormone levels can allegedly cause hair loss. However, it's concerning that your hair loss has endured for two years. This leads me to my next point.

I have read that when women lose hair following discontinuation of birth control pills, it's possibly because they have Androgenetic Alopecia, and have had it all along, but the birth control pills "masked" the Androgenetic Alopecia for the duration of time that they were on birth control. This is because oral contraceptives regulate hormones, and depending on which one you are on, keep low levels of androgens in the body. Androgenetic Alopecia is caused by sensitivity to androgens in the hair follicles. Make sense?

I would get a scalp biopsy. If you do have Androgenetic Alopecia, I suggest getting a prescription for an anti androgen (Spironolactone) and/or a DHT inhibitor (finestaride,) and using minoxidil.

Reaction score
Story

I used laser therapy for my hair..little to no side effect. I just started my own site wwwhairlosshelpers.com it has video and testimonies from different people who tried different things...its new ill be adding more to it every day.. I had good results and want to share info I learned along the way..

Not_as_shown

Reaction score
I'm so happy for you. I can only imaging how terrible it is to go through hairloss as a woman. Best wishes to you.

abzg

Reaction score
I'll chime in too.

47 is not a low ferritin number, and unlikely to have caused hair loss, in my opinion . I personally don't place a lot of stock into the idea that low ferritin alone can cause hair loss. My ferritin was 6.7 when I had it tested about two months ago, but I still don't attribute my hair loss to low ferritin alone.

I wouldn't even supplement with your ferritin level without the approval of a doctor. It's highly unlikely a ferritin of 47 caused your hair loss.

It sounds to me like it might be hormonal in nature, as you noticed the onset of hair loss after discontinuing birth control pills.

A fluctuation in hormone levels can allegedly cause hair loss. However, it's concerning that your hair loss has endured for two years. This leads me to my next point.

I have read that when women lose hair following discontinuation of birth control pills, it's possibly because they have Androgenetic Alopecia, and have had it all along, but the birth control pills "masked" the Androgenetic Alopecia for the duration of time that they were on birth control. This is because oral contraceptives regulate hormones, and depending on which one you are on, keep low levels of androgens in the body. Androgenetic Alopecia is caused by sensitivity to androgens in the hair follicles. Make sense?

I would get a scalp biopsy. If you do have Androgenetic Alopecia, I suggest getting a prescription for an anti androgen (Spironolactone) and/or a DHT inhibitor (finestaride,) and using minoxidil.

Thanks for the response guys! Labellavita - in response to your scalp biopsy I had one 2 years after the onset of my hairloss and they have said I have a normal amount of telogen to anagen hairs as well as vellus hair ratio and there is no signs of androgenic hairloss. I am still losing 100 hairs every time I wash and my hair is thinning so much. I know it was the pill that caused this but could it be a ferritin of 47 that's stopping the hair from growing properly and shedding? I just done know anymore and I'm so scared, could the biopsy have mid diagnosed? I just don't know... Any help or advice would help greatly x

labellavita1985

Established Member
Reaction score
Abzg,

it's possible the scalp biopsy was unreliable, as scalp biopsies are notoriously not very accurate/definitive. In response to your other question, I definitely don't think your ferritin of 47 CAUSED your hair loss, but I suppose it's possible that a higher ferritin would have contributed to more/better regrowth. I say that because some people posit that ferritin levels of 80+ are conducive to hair growth, and support hair growth optimally.

Btw, losing 100 hairs is considered normal, and even up to 150 in some cases. Is this the most you have ever shed or was it worse?

hoggle

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been taking the cocktail, lysine, vit c and ferruous fumerate 29mg x 3 at bedtime for 4 months now. I'm happy to report my ferritin went from being in the twenties to 97. I should add that I could not tolerate any iron whatsoever until I did the low FODMAP diet for 6 weeks and noticed an immediate improvement. For anyone with iron absorption problems, I highly recommend trying that first to reset your small intestine. My hair still sheds but definitely less, I'm keeping my eyes peeled for regrowth. I'd like to take minoxidil but my blood pressure is already a bit low. I'm 32 with bald temples, massive shedding, possible Androgenetic Alopecia/chronic Telogen Effluvium. My temples look just like Androgenetic Alopecia with miniaturized hairs

Other relevant lab work:

Dht- 13 (5-46)
Free t- bottom of normal range
Total t- once tested high, once midrange
Tsh- varies from 2.8-4.5
ft3-in range but low
ft4- mid range

Now I need to figure out the maintenance dosage? Ideally I want my ferritin to be in the 80's I think

Last edited:

slanier

Reaction score
Is regimen still working?

Hello,
I am so inspired by your regimen. I noticed this was from a couple of years ago and I wondered if it is still effective and are you continuing to take ferrous, Lysin, and vitamin C? I was so inspired I ordered all 3 on Amazon last night. I have been having hair loss and thinning in my temple area and bang area. I have a history of losing my hair post partum with both of my girls. I have been a pescatarian for the past 5 years, but for some reason (changed birth control about a year ago in November) to a more androgenic one....bad move because my derm says I need more estrogen which is better for hair and seeing that i have been hormonally senstive in the past that makes sense. I changed birth control in December 15 and am moving to a more estrogen containing regimen (my goal is to completely get off birth control, but my derm says for sure I will have hair loss so her goal is to get as much hair on my head before doing that). I too had complete blood work done. Had to demand my ferritin levels be looked at from my family doctor. I did come back in the "normal" range. After researching i found that you need to be at least at 70 to grown good quality hair and avoid hair loss. My ferritin level was 35. Back in 2013, it was 50. I have been to my doctor for 2 years in a row due to extreme fatigue and she never once ordered ferritin levels. I was always told everything is normal. So, in talking to my derm, she agreed last week that I need to be at a 70 for have good hair growth. I don't really notice a lot of hair loss everyday, its more that my hair just does not grow. I have all of these baby hairs that never get any length and therefore, my bang and sides appear very thin. It is consuming me and I am excited to start your regimen. I have been taking a blood builder from whole foods for only 4 days now, but time is of the essence and once I get the products you recommended on Wednesday from Amazon, I will try them. I am just worried about the side effects. Did you change anything in your diet as well? I do not eat meat and am not planning to start. thank you for your inspiring story. No one understands and it is consuming me. I have tried all kinds of shampoos, coconut oil, vitamins, topical oils, etc...

AlexieJ

Reaction score
Congratulations! That's already a big success. Unfortunately, not everyone is so lucky to totally stop the shedding. Seems like that trick works for you.

Hilary

Reaction score
Low Ferritin + High Testosterone (PCOS)

Thank you so much for your post elisabeth!! Your success truly gives me hope! I am still trying to find something (other than birth control) that will stop my hair loss.

My ferritin level is 29 and I also have extremely high testosterone (due to my PCOS). My PCOS symptoms are as follows: no period, high testosterone, hair loss, acne, and polycystic ovaries (shown on ultrasound).

I just found out my ferritin levels are low about 2 days ago and am now wondering if this could be contributing to my hair loss. I looked up symptoms of low-iron and I have a few of them (especially the hair loss and dark circles under my eyes - which showed up out of no where not long after my hair loss started) I always thought it was the high testosterone (which it still very well could be I guess). When I was on the Nuvaring I was miserable (cried everyday) but after about a year my hair had grown back. But it honestly wasn't worth it to me if I was crying and depressed all the time. About 2 weeks after I went off of it my hair began falling out all over again (but I'm not crying! lol).

My doctor prescribed me Spironolactone 25 mg. a day to see if it lowers my testosterone and she also told me to take a multivitamin with iron in it (I'm taking Centrum - which has 8 mg. of iron). But after reading your post I'm going to ask about the supplements you are taking.