Observation About Lifting/protein Shakes And My Hair Loss

RU serious

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
When I was 17 I started getting into lifting weights a lot and doing protein shakes, It had been a few months and I got into shape pretty quickly when I noticed my hair was receding, I was shedding like crazy. Out of paranoia I stopped the weights which had become a passion of mine and went on a long depressing journey of hair loss treatment.

Anyway now at 25 I'm at a point where I've stabilised my loss somewhat (not quite maintaining but slow progression, no itch or shedding). However I just started lifting again, high intensity 3/4x a week and supplementing with protein shakes + a bulking diet. And sure as anything, coinciding with my new routine the 'itch' has come back, I haven't had it in years, and I'm shedding more than usual.

I know the consensus is that bodybuilding and using shakes shouldn't have an affect on male pattern baldness but for me the correlation is there. My diet is clean, just meat, oats, eggs, nuts, and vegetables mainly, and the shake doesn't have creatine or anything like that. I would guess it's due to raised T levels as I've also noticed my beard is growing quicker, but that contradicts what I heard about lifting not raising T that much apart from small spikes. Wondering if anybody else has noticed something similar with their loss when working out.

MK94

My Regimen
Reaction score
I confirm what you say. I have Telogen Effluvium same problem. I started lifting at 21 to 23. Now im 24 but i stopped since 1 year. For me lifting cause hairloss for sure. I have no doubt about that. Testosterone increase dht level in the body and attack hairs follicle.

Jake94

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don’t have a answer for your question, however I can say my hairloss got worse only after I started bodybuilding, although I think it is more of my genetics rather then the lifting.

Anyway, I came here to say to you that you should not stop bodybuilding due to hairloss - don’t let it control what you do and you should take note of the pro’s of weight lifting.

RU serious

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don’t have a answer for your question, however I can say my hairloss got worse only after I started bodybuilding, although I think it is more of my genetics rather then the lifting.

Anyway, I came here to say to you that you should not stop bodybuilding due to hairloss - don’t let it control what you do and you should take note of the pro’s of weight lifting.

I agree f*** letting this disease stop me doing one of my main passions.

Arrade

My Regimen
Reaction score
I confirm what you say. I have Telogen Effluvium same problem. I started lifting at 21 to 23. Now im 24 but i stopped since 1 year. For me lifting cause hairloss for sure. I have no doubt about that. Testosterone increase dht level in the body and attack hairs follicle.
Lifting shouldnt cause Telogen Effluvium, it doesnt for 95% of people

mpbsux20

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Can't be from lifting. Maybe you are allergic to milk and milk products. Try eating egg whites or purchase pea protein isolate. Could take a while for your digestive system to get used to it but would be totally worth it.

I avoid gluten like the plague and that seems to have helped in controlling inflammation.

SuperDPAsteve

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The itch could be from sweat irritating dry scalp. I get that all the time

Oknow

My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree f*** letting this disease stop me doing one of my main passions.

I was lifting 8 years ago , then stopped due to paranoia of hair loss. Like you, I hated not being able to work out because I enjoyed it a lot!

I found though that I still had hair loss when not lifting. So I am not sure there is a correlation.

I’ve started lifting again, it’s been over a month, can’t say it’s hurt my hair *knock wood*

My trichologist has told me that lifting is ok as long as you do not take creatine.

Last edited:

Oknow

My Regimen
Reaction score
I can confirm by my derm, that I have no further hair loss since working out.

djhype

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's not the T increase or the shakes. It's the stress to your body causing the Telogen Effluvium. Happens to a rare amount of people.

Keto or any form of dieting are also known contributors.

Last edited:

michaelle

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been taking protein shakes for years, and I don't think they can cause hair loss... I would recommend that you take some good vitamins and maybe supplements like those from eDrugStore.com, for example. Maybe lack of those causes some issues for you, so don't forget about such things!

Last edited: