Obesity vs hair loss vs short stature

davidbeckham007

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
Would you really go through having your legs broken and not being able to walk for 6 months just to gain about an inch?
It's not just an inch, actually...more like 2-3". And yes, i'd go through it, if i needed.

Boondock

Reaction score
davidbeckham007 said:
s.a.f said:
Would you really go through having your legs broken and not being able to walk for 6 months just to gain about an inch?
It's not just an inch, actually...more like 2-3". And yes, i'd go through it, if i needed.

I actually googled this to see if it's such a simple procedure. It isn't, although you can grow 2-3 inches.

It involves:

1. Having metal rods inserted down your legs to add structural stability.

2. Piercing the bones/rods with metal spikes, which are then attached to a frame surrounding the legs.

3. Every day gradually twisting a knob to extend the frame, and therefore the bone it's attached to. This 'pulls apart' the bone, and replacement is grown in its place.

4. Due to this effective open wound, you are unable to walk and laid up for several months.

5. It may be several more months before you can get the pins/rods taken out of the legs entirely. You will definitely be an inpatient in a hospital for at least 3/4 months, often closer to 8.

6. Antibiotics are often needed to prevent infection, which is not unlikely given the effectively constant open wount where a spike is entering the leg.

7. The structural integrity of the leg/joints can be compromised, leading to problems in exercise further down the line.

8. The results can make you a bit taller, but the result can be 'off' looking. You know how a hair transplant can look a bit odd if done badly, even if you can't quite pinpoint why? Now think how someone looks with a certain frame, but inexplicably long legs which don't match up to their arms/overall body look. Same sh*t.

This sh*t makes getting a hair transplant look like a walk in the park.

2376331.jpg

No thanks.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Exactly I'd imagine that you'd have to be severely short like 5'0" to even consider this and even then you'd still be very short even with an extra couple of inches.

BornIn89

Established Member
Reaction score
Wow I never knew people saw being short as being so bad! I'm 5'4 and it's not so bad, certainly way better than hair loss. Maybe if I was 5'0 it would be a bit more of a problem but that surgery just sounds ****ing weird...

GeminiX

Reaction score
dudemon said:
Shorties want to be tall
Fatties want to be thin
Uglies want to be attractive
Baldies want to have hair

Can you see a common theme here?

It's called: "The grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence." :)

Freaky, you just beat me to posting almost exactly the same thing :)

davidbeckham007

Reaction score
Boondock said:
I actually googled this to see if it's such a simple procedure. It isn't, although you can grow 2-3 inches.
I didn't say it was a simple procedure. The point is that height enhancement is at least possible.

Boondock

Reaction score
The other point to make, folks, is that if you think hair transplants are expensive, this procedure makes them look like a few years' finasteride treatment.

jj77

Reaction score
People who state they would prefer obesity to male pattern baldness probably don't know what they are saying. Have you ever read a forum related to obesity? How these people struggle to get to a decent weight, trying to lose tens and tens of pounds only to become normal fatties or something like that? I've never been obese but I have seen people who is and losing weight is HARD. Plus, obesity has it's own "protective" mechanisms and it's not good for the health at all. If you have male pattern baldness and you adopt a shaved look you are way more socially acceptable than being seriously overweight.

GeminiX

Reaction score
Have to agree; for me at least being obese is far worse than hairloss and is *much* harder to "fix" than people who have never had weight issues realise.

s.a.f

Reaction score
GeminiX said:
Have to agree; for me at least being obese is far worse than hairloss and is *much* harder to "fix" than people who have never had weight issues realise.

Hmm I dont see how?

Fat guy - Diet and exercise = WILL Loose weight fact.

Bald guy - (????) No cure as yet.

At least the fat guy has an option, take any obese guy give them a good diet and an exercise program. They will slowly get results, its up to them to maintain the effort. Nobody is born to be obese you make yourself obese, and it does'nt happen overnight it takes years of poor living being greedy and lazy.

Bald guy goes bald through no fault of his own there is no way he can physicly work to fix it. If all it took to get hair was to live a better lifestyle I'd be a NW1 right now.

GeminiX

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
GeminiX said:

Hmm I dont see how?

At least the fat guy has an option, take any obese guy give them a good diet and an exercise program. They will slowly get results, its up to them to maintain the effort. Nobody is born to be obese you make yourself obese, and it does'nt happen overnight it takes years of poor living being greedy and lazy.

Bald guy goes bald through no fault of his own there is no way he can physicly work to fix it. If all it took to get hair was to live a better lifestyle I'd be a NW1 right now.

And right there is the problem...

*Everyone* knows it's just about diet right?

It's just a simple matter of cutting back on the calories, doing a bit of exercise and *bam*, slim and fit.

The reality is that the reason that a lot of overweight people feel so incredibly low about themselves is that *they* know all they have to do is sort it out themselves. For me personally that was a much harder thing to overcome than hair-loss; hair-loss I had no control over so felt no guilt, no blame. Hair loss was not my fault, so even though it was horribly unfair, it was just something that happens, like rainy days or stubbing your toe.

Being an obese, fat cow *was* completely my own doing, *I* chose to eat far too much, and yet I could not stop myself. Eating was comforting when I felt low, then I felt even worse afterwards because of the guilt. The psychological trauma and depression that you get from being the cause of your own destruction and not being able to do a thing to help yourself is an entirely different league to finding acceptance for something which was just a matter of chance.

*edit* - other peoples opinions may well differ from my own, but to be fair I've experienced the brutal reality of both, first hand :)

s.a.f

Reaction score
GeminiX said:
The reality is that the reason that a lot of overweight people feel so incredibly low about themselves is that *they* know all they have to do is sort it out themselves. For me personally that was a much harder thing to overcome than hair-loss; hair-loss I had no control over so felt no guilt, no blame. Hair loss was not my fault, so even though it was horribly unfair, it was just something that happens, like rainy days or stubbing your toe.

Being an obese, fat cow *was* completely my own doing, *I* chose to eat far too much, and yet I could not stop myself. Eating was comforting when I felt low, then I felt even worse afterwards because of the guilt. The psychological trauma and depression that you get from being the cause of your own destruction and not being able to do a thing to help yourself is an entirely different league to finding acceptance for something which was just a matter of chance.

I just dont understand that, I myself could easily be overweight but I choose to not eat crap and I choose to exercise.
Surely its easy every time you feel like eating something you dont need just dont do it and hey presto instant self worth. Go out for a jog all the while knowing that you are helping to resolve your problem. Slowly you will see the results come through.
No one feels guilt about hairloss they just feel frustration. An obese person has the choice a bald guy does'nt.

GeminiX

Reaction score
I don't thnk I'm able to explain it and I sure that unless someone has experienced it cannot be really understood.

I think its similar to compulsives, addiction and phobias though.

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
GeminiX said:
s.a.f said:
GeminiX said:

Hmm I dont see how?

And right there is the problem...

*Everyone* knows it's just about diet right?

It's just a simple matter of cutting back on the calories, doing a bit of exercise and *bam*, slim and fit.

*edit* - other peoples opinions may well differ from my own, but to be fair I've experienced the brutal reality of both, first hand :)
i have experienced the realities of both as well i guess they affect people differently though because i can say hairloss is considerably worse for me, i knew being fat was my fault and i know how bad it felt but 1 day i did decide because it was my fault it was up to me to fix what i have done to myself and it was in a way my responsibility and in a way after a while i felt in control and lost weight and i still recognise it's up to me to stop me from going back to fat again, it never ends

whereas with hairloss i do spend the majority of my days wanting to be locked up into a giant fishing container and never seen again and in a way for everyone to forget i even exist. i see it as this incurable cancer that has clung onto me and is something that is going to stay with me for the rest of my life
the fact i can't do anything about does make me feel completely inadequate.
i spend my life resenting my dad and refusing to see him, because it was his genes that did this to me, i think i would pick obesity over hairloss any day of the week, at least when i was fat i had a full head of hair

BrightonBaldy

Established Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldnt it be impossible to stay fat if you use more energy than you consume?

As has been said elsewhere, if leading a healthy active lifestyle gave us our hair back then we'd all have it in 6 months, I'd trade my 32 inch waste (rubbish diet tbh) for a NW1 everytime.

Boondock

Reaction score
BrightonBaldy said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldnt it be impossible to stay fat if you use more energy than you consume?

As has been said elsewhere, if leading a healthy active lifestyle gave us our hair back then we'd all have it in 6 months, I'd trade my 32 inch waste (rubbish diet tbh) for a NW1 everytime.

Bingo. Obesity can be fought, and is a state you can stop yourself falling into to begin with. With hair loss we're powerless.

BrightonBaldy

Established Member
Reaction score
Some good contributions here and its true to say that everybody has something they feel insecure about.

Sadly for lots of people theres an obvious order these problems would be ranked in.

Hairloss would thankfully be way at the bottom of the list behind being fat, short, having skin problems, other deformaties/general ugliness etc, compared to alot of people we have it not to bad.

BrightonBaldy

Established Member
Reaction score
Boondock said:
Bingo. Obesity can be fought, and is a state you can stop yourself falling into to begin with. With hair loss we're powerless.

A lad I work with has a back problem, I dont know the details but it is genetic and theres no cure, as with hairloss.

He has to get fluid drained from his spine every two weeks for the rest of his life, that just keeps him upright, I'm sure he'd trade with me in a heartbeat.

BrightonBaldy

Established Member
Reaction score
Missed my point there..

Obesity shouldnt be muttered in the same breath as being small, spotty, bald etc. Being overweight is a lifestyle choice and not a predetermined genetic flaw.

Obsidian

Reaction score
So all people who are huge are just that way because of the way they eat and they can lose weight easily?