Obesity vs hair loss vs short stature

Belmondo

Established Member
Reaction score
Do you agree that male pattern baldness is worse than obesity but not as bad as short stature?

GeminiX

Reaction score
I *think* so, I was obese and bald (but 5'10).

Personally speaking, being overweight had far more impact on my life than losing my hair (though I was not particularly fond of either).

Being obese is also self inflicted, even if psychology pays a part in it. One cannot really control if you'll be bald or short; as such being obese tends to be more of a stigma than the other two, though I never really had any social issues from being a bald fatty :)

Belmondo

Established Member
Reaction score
GeminiX said:
I *think* so, I was obese and bald (but 5'10).

Personally speaking, being overweight had far more impact on my life than losing my hair (though I was not particularly fond of either).

Being obese is also self inflicted, even if psychology pays a part in it. One cannot really control if you'll be bald or short; as such being obese tends to be more of a stigma than the other two, though I never really had any social issues from being a bald fatty :)

If that's you in the picture, today you are definitely NOT a bald fatty. You look great.

GeminiX

Reaction score
Thanks

It is me, I *was* a very bald fattie though.

Now I'm more curvy :)

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Belmondo said:
Do you agree that male pattern baldness is worse than obesity but not as bad as short stature?
i would rather be fat AND short with a full head of hair than medium height, medium build with slight recession
fatness is easy to remedy, compared to male pattern baldness

Nene

Reaction score
I agree. If I was fat I could lose weight, but being bald sucks cause there is nothing you can do. Being short though, I guess it depends on how short we're talking. I'd give up an inch, maybe even 2 to keep my hair. But Being 5"7 or shorter, not so sure about that.

question7

Reaction score
Maybe i am wrong because I have never been obese, but I would choose it over being short and having male pattern baldness any day. It sucks being 5'8 with thinning hair willing to put in the effort but having nothing I can do about it.

At least with obesity you have the option/ability to do something about it. Far less can be said for short stature or male pattern baldness.

arrogantprick

Reaction score
From my conversations with women, obesity is far worse than hair loss. They would much rather have an in-shape bald/balding guy, than an overweight guy with a full head of hair. No comparision. I'm sure a small percent of women would lean the other way, but overall, bodyfat is far greater factor in attractiveness than hair loss. Just don't be rediculous and do the horseshoe look or the comb-over.

Koman

Reaction score
I agree. If I was fat I could lose weight, but being bald sucks cause there is nothing you can do.
You can do hair transplant and I don't think it will take more than 10 years until scientists come up with a way to use stem cells to grow hair. I am following this stuff closely and even now people can already grow organs in the lab.

sergiotahini

Established Member
Reaction score
My wife is adopted. Her older sister (not blood related) is obese, unattractive, and not very bright. The sister's husband, who is in his late thirties, is also obese, unattractive, and not exactly a genius. He has a job normally filled by highschool-age students and can't be making much more than minimum wage. However, he has a ridiculously full head of hair that most guys on this forum would kill for.

I'm 29, and I'm probably about a NW2.5, and if treatments don't work I would assume that I'll end up a NW3A or so in a couple of years. I'm about 6'4" and weigh 210 pounds. I work out four times a week and played competitive sports in highschool and college. I am also a professional and live in an upper-middle class suburb with my wife and son. I would not trade places with my brother in law. 'Nuff said? :whistle:

If all you care about is women then just concentrate on being in shape/being interesting/having a good career/projecting self confidence. The vast majority of women care way more about that stuff than they do about what's on your head. A friend of mine is a near-horseshoe but does very well for himself because he is confident, in great shape, and interesting.

GeminiX

Reaction score
sergiotahini said:
My wife is adopted. Her older sister (not blood related) is obese, unattractive, and not very bright. The sister's husband, who is in his late thirties, is also obese, unattractive, and not exactly a genius. He has a job normally filled by highschool-age students and can't be making much more than minimum wage. However, he has a ridiculously full head of hair that most guys on this forum would kill for.

I'm 29, and I'm probably about a NW2.5, and if treatments don't work I would assume that I'll end up a NW3A or so in a couple of years. I'm about 6'4" and weigh 210 pounds. I work out four times a week and played competitive sports in highschool and college. I am also a professional and live in an upper-middle class suburb with my wife and son. I would not trade places with my brother in law. 'Nuff said? :whistle:

If all you care about is women then just concentrate on being in shape/being interesting/having a good career/projecting self confidence. The vast majority of women care way more about that stuff than they do about what's on your head. A friend of mine is a near-horseshoe but does very well for himself because he is confident, in great shape, and interesting.

/signed

That's the "typical" world we all live in right there in three paragraphs :)

Smooth

Experienced Member
Reaction score
sergiotahini said:

Thanks for posting this, inspired me, i've been down for a while now .... :(

sergiotahini

Established Member
Reaction score
no problem. :) Regarding my buddy, he has very aggressive male pattern baldness and started to look "bald" by the time he was 19. It oddly happened around the same time he went through a massive growth spurt (he went from being average height to taller than me in what seems to have been a year or two).

He was really depressed for a couple of years, but then he just seemed to accept it and concentrate more on working out, pursuing his interests, etc. We both went to graduate/professional school around the same time, and it was there that he seemed to really come into his own. I'm actually meeting him and one of his new girlfriends in the city for dinner tonight. :)

I've spoken to him about my own hair problem. I mentioned how I have a new appreciation for the trauma he must have experienced going bald so rapidly at such a young age, and he said that while it definitely sucked then he could care less about being bald now. He doesn't think his baldness is affecting him at all with regard to dating, and from what I've seen I'd have to agree.

GeminiX

Reaction score
Smooth said:
Thanks for posting this, inspired me, i've been down for a while now .... :(

Hey Smooth, hang in there :)

I wish I could give you the exact steps to feeling better, all I can do is tell you what worked for me and assure you that it's possible, even when you're right on the brink of the abyss, to turn things around.

In my case I worked out exactly what it was about my life which I hated so much and put together a list of steps I had to complete to get to where I wanted to be. The hard part was to be completely honest with *myself* and admit to myself what the issues were and stop fretting over the things I simply had to accept as I would never be able to do directly change them.

Hope this helps,
Danielle x

superfrankie

Established Member
Reaction score
That is the path we all have to go through eventually so we can move on with our lives. And the sooner the better. Nice to see you are so honest about yourself GeminiX! It can only be a good thing.

Nene

Reaction score
Fernand, you're new to these forums so you might not realize that transplants aren't some panacea. You'll most likely end up with very thin hair and huge scar at the back of your head. I think very few people get good results with hair transplants. Those that do generally do not have extensive hair loss. Also, a cure won't be around for quite some time. There needs to be clinical trials etc etc, could take decades before an effective method is invented and then given clearance.

Smooth

Experienced Member
Reaction score
GeminiX said:
Hey Smooth, hang in there :)

I wish I could give you the exact steps to feeling better, all I can do is tell you what worked for me and assure you that it's possible, even when you're right on the brink of the abyss, to turn things around.

In my case I worked out exactly what it was about my life which I hated so much and put together a list of steps I had to complete to get to where I wanted to be. The hard part was to be completely honest with *myself* and admit to myself what the issues were and stop fretting over the things I simply had to accept as I would never be able to do directly change them.

Hope this helps,
Danielle x

GeminiX, everytime i read your posts i feel better (and im a very hard man to please in that sense!), so thank you !

i think its very easy to blame things on hair loss, although i still believe it effects our lives, just have to do whatever in our power to get back on there...

GeminiX

Reaction score
Smooth said:
GeminiX, everytime i read your posts i feel better (and im a very hard man to please in that sense!), so thank you !

i think its very easy to blame things on hair loss, although i still believe it effects our lives, just have to do whatever in our power to get back on there...

You're welcome :)

And you're right, hair loss does indeed impact our lives, it's just important to find a way to not obsess over it (or a "funny" nose, ugly mole, crooked teeth etc.).

I think what helped me not really care too much about the opinions of strangers was the realisation that the sort of person who will really try to judge you about your hair loss are almost always the same kinds of people who think Elizabeth Duke make nice jewellery and fake Burberry is a slick fashion choice.

Maybe I'm arrogant, I've certainly been accused of it, ultimately though the way I see it is "why waste my energy giving a crap what some moron or chav thinks of me?".

Sure, I still like nice things, I like to look good, I like to drive nice cars and wear nice clothes, but it's not for the benefit of others, it's because I like to feel good :)

It's not easy, and I think sometimes I give the impression that it was for me. It wasn't, it took years to finally "love" myself, and even now I get times were I'm down, depression never goes away for good (and I even forget that at times). The trick is realising that it will pass and you can get back to focussing on the good stuff.

barcafan

Reaction score
Nene said:
I agree. If I was fat I could lose weight, but being bald sucks cause there is nothing you can do. Being short though, I guess it depends on how short we're talking. I'd give up an inch, maybe even 2 to keep my hair. But Being 5"7 or shorter, not so sure about that.

We're talking an inch for every Norwood point.