Newly Discovered Factor in Androgenetic Alopecia. The Cure is Near?

odalbak

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: A recently discovered new factor in AA, the cure is near :)

My bottle contains 10ml and cost 6 euros. It's a 2% SCG solution. I've started putting 15 drops every 12 hours, spreading the drops all over my scalp, with the bottom of a little glass so there's no absorption by my fingers. My hair cut is super short, about 5-6 mm long so doing this is super easy. I wouldn't do this experiment otherwise. Too much pita. Of course I have absolutely no clue whether this dosage of 30 eyedrops is enough for hair loss…

The more I enquire about this whole thing and the more I think the solution is probably more complex than simply inhibiting PGD2.

"During normal follicle cycling in mice, Ptgds and PGD2 levels increase immediately preceding the regression phase, suggesting an inhibitory effect on hair growth."
So by inhibiting PGD2, are we going to stop that natural regression phase or just delay it and increase the length of the growth phase?

Cotzarelis suggested also that if PGE2 and PGF2 promote hair growth and PGD2 inhibits it, they may both balance each other and there's maybe a natural balance system for normal hair development. Applying a treatment that would block the activity of PGD2 may cause imbalance and generate other effects on hair, not necessarily desirable.

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Paul27/Odalbak: are you in the US ?
I need a product with SCG in the US, but it seems these drops are only sold in the uK ? or otherwise need a prescription.

I want to join you guys in Guinea Pigging... and I have a good reasons for it.
I am optimistic, although I rarely am in general.

paul27

Reaction score

I live in Canada, the drops are made by Allergan and are called Optrex Allergy Eye Drops.

UKguy84

Established Member
Reaction score

i googled Setipiprant few days ago and noticed lots of news storys saying they've pulled the plug on the drug.

wats the deal with this? and is it a step back? as i've seen alot of people mentioning this drug as a possible treatment.

strange that this happens literally a week after the pgd2 info was released.

odalbak

Established Member
Reaction score

Apparently Setipiprant is not effective enough in tests.

From my experience, one single drop of 2% scg is effective at least for eye inflammation. And it's already in shops. I can't imagine there will be something in the form of a pill like Setipiprant was supposed to be. Cotzarelis doesn't even mention that idea as far as I remember.

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score

from hairsite:

According to Pettipher and Hansel "Antagonists of the Prostaglandin D2 Receptor CRTH2" Drug News and Perspectives Vol 21 July/August 2008, the synthetic antagonists of the CRTH2/GPR44 receptor are :

Ramatroban and analogues
4-Aminotetrahydroquinoline derivatives K-117 and K-604
Indole acetic acids

Have also read that Quercetin reduces PGD2 release.

WE NEED EXPERTS HERE, BRYAN, HAROLD, ... ?

odalbak

Established Member
Reaction score

I can't remember Bryan posting about PGD2 or prostaglandins in general. Harold is the man seemingly.

Weezert

Reaction score

I certainly wouldn't put your faith in quercetin or those plant flavinoids. I've done some work on them and they appear to bind to all sorts of receptors, but whether it's a specific or non-specific effect is unclear. If you search the literature, there are tons of things they apparently have an effect on. Magic Bullet? Not likely...

The best compounds are probably the ones that have undergone optimization such as those in clinical trials right now. I guess the best bet is to wait and see what biotech produces.

I hope they don't go down the route of inhibiting PGD2-synthase, as that just seems to be a great way of creating a drug that'll probably have sh***y off target effects.

Trying a herbal remedy like quercetin and then getting upset when it doesn't work is a fool's game.

odalbak

Established Member
Reaction score

Weezert, are you thinking of quercetin as pill? I don't think a systemic drug would be safe. PGD2 is useful for the brain and other things. I wouldn't mess with that. As I said, Cotzarelis only mentioned the perspective of a topical solution to reduce PGD2.

odalbak

Established Member
Reaction score

Just curious, am I the only one on scg eyedrops at the moment?

paul27

Reaction score

I've seen them on the pharmacy shelf but haven't decided whether to purchsed them yet.

Experienced Member
Reaction score

tomcatt said:
-> beta carotene inhibits cox-2 w/o inhibiting PGE2 (such as quercetin) :punk:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17012770

-> hydrocortisone inhibits PGD2 (17% http://www.jimmunol.org/content/147/2/667.short)
w/o inhihiting PGE2 (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6960374)

:firing: HAIRLOSS :bigun2:

wait that second ncbi.nlm.nih.gov link doesn't say anything about hydrocortisone having any effect on PGD2..

sapinho

Reaction score

People have tried all sorts of anti-inflammatories over the years, surely some of them inhibiting PGE2, but I don't remember anyone suddenly losing their minoxidil-dependent hairs. If this observation is correct, this would mean that either minoxidil does more than just increase PGE2, or when used in combination it still increases PGE2 levels.

What about Selenium?

armandein

Established Member
Reaction score

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16297176
Sebaceous glands and the prostaglandin pathway--key stones of an exciting mosaic.

Complicated issue, more than when they fluctuate during hair cycle. OTOH human scalp hairs are asinchronous, then it is very difficult use systemic or topical remedies.

Prevention better than cure.....

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score

Prostaglandin is just one part of the problem..male pattern baldness is still driven by androgen.

Experienced Member
Reaction score

squeegee said:
Prostaglandin is just one part of the problem..male pattern baldness is still driven by androgen.

so how did you cure your male pattern baldness? :whistle:

parsi

Reaction score

Anybody knows if using Orudis(Ketoprofen) will have the same effect? (inhibiting PGE2) ?
I usually use that on the skin for curing pain in the muscles.

Experienced Member
Reaction score

parsi said:
Anybody knows if using Orudis(Ketoprofen) will have the same effect? (inhibiting PGE2) ?
I usually use that on the skin for curing pain in the muscles.

aren't you NW7 already? What's the point? Why are you even here?