New Topical finasteride Study - Efficacy + Sides

Ollie

My Regimen
Reaction score
I thought i would bring to light a recent study observing the topical efficacy effects of finasteride at 0.25% + Minoxidil vs just minoxidil. The study aims to shed light on both topical efficacy of finasteride but also focus on investigating if there is a better side effect profile compared to that of oral finasteride (1mg).

- The results demonstrated that the efficacy of a 0.25% finasteride topical (+minoxidil) yielded equal efficacy based on the scalp DHT levels being reduced equal to that of a 1mg oral dose.

- The side effect profile demonstrated that measured Plasma DHT after 6 months was 10 fold less than that of the 1mg oral dose. Just a 5% reduction in DHT plasma levels were measured.

Screen Shot 2018-10-17 at 05.08.05.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-17 at 05.08.25.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-17 at 05.08.43.png

For those of you who are worried about trying finasteride this may be a more viable option. Not only does the side effect profile appear more encouraging but for those that were worried that a finasteride topical might not be as effective can see that is simply not the case.

The vehicle was Eth : PG : DW

Study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29972712

Thanks @Spice_Lord for the find.

Last edited:

hailbrotzu

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Is there a brand of topical finasteride that you could recommend? I keep hearing about liposomal finasteride, I'm guessing this is not that but what are your thoughts on the Liposomal? Also last question would Topical dutasteride be even better then?

Badbald

Established Member
Reaction score
Not sure if Ive seen this study yet or not as it was from July but great find either way. Could you find a link to the full study with the pictures etc?

This is more evidence that we could have an almost side effect free or at least largely reduced level of side effect form of maintenance available to us right now. Heres the study, heres the positive results....

Still blows my mind how not everyone is trying this on this forum, it could save alot of people some pain..

Badbald

Established Member
Reaction score
Guys please just think and compare these images to fidias brotzu pictures... we also have solidified data with what looks like no personal interest in postive results.

Im not saying dont consider brotzu its coming out soon so may aswell give it a try but if your even considering it then try a topical Finasteride and you may just get the results you were hoping with brotzu all along.

Fgsfds

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm too lazy to dig them up, but there's been a couple studies that show barely any finasteride going systemetic, and others showing that it ALL goes systemetic.

It must just come down to the vehicle. Who knows.

Fgsfds

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...teride-admixed-with-3-minoxidil.115533/page-3

I read your post about this study:

Effects of a novel finasteride 0.25% topical solution on scalp and serum dihydrotestosterone in healthy men with androgenetic alopecia. (2016)

RESULTS:
Change from baseline in scalp DHT was -70% for P-3074 o.d. and approx. -50% for P-3074 b.i.d. and the tablet. Serum DHT decreased by 60 - 70%. The doses of 100 and 200 μL P-3074 resulted in a -47/-52% scalp DHT reduction, similar to the 300 and 400 μL doses (i.e., -37/-54%). A -5.6% inhibition was observed for the vehicle. Serum DHT was reduced by only -24/-26% with 100 and 200 μL P-3074 and by -44/-48% with 300 and 400 μL P-3074. No relevant changes occurred for serum testosterone.
Yep, that's exactly it. Like, what the f***, the two studies in that thread completely contradict each other. Got to be the vehicle.

disfiguredyoungman

My Regimen
Reaction score
What is DW and to what proportions were the vehicles mixed

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score

Distilled water I think. Not sure of their proportions but as long as it's .25% finasteride to volume, the other ingredients would just be part of the mix to allow everthing to go into solution and be the desired viscosity.

As far as sources, pharmacists at Regenere or Murray Avenue Apothecary can compound it for you.

Ollie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Not sure if Ive seen this study yet or not as it was from July but great find either way. Could you find a link to the full study with the pictures etc?

For some reason i cant download it as a PDF - just viewing it through my online uni library. I'm going to have a better read of it later and upload more stuff i find that might be of some interest.

What's the amount applied daily? Concentration by itself is useless.

1ml

Distilled water. They have made out you can literally dump some finasteride into Minoxidil.

I'm too lazy to dig them up, but there's been a couple studies that show barely any finasteride going systemetic, and others showing that it ALL goes systemetic.

It must just come down to the vehicle. Who knows.

I agree i've seen conflicting studies.

Ollie

My Regimen
Reaction score
However i do want to urge that whilst the dosage curve and the relationship of DHT is very flat, doesn't mean that the dosage curve for finasteride and the enzyme 5a-reductase itself is. If for whatever reason DHT is extremely sensitive to change, but 5AR is not, and with a topical we can preserve as much 5AR as possible we would negate a lot of sides regarding Neurosteroids etc..

I started finasteride 4 weeks ago and hate being on it.. im going to make my own liposomal solution.

spooon

Established Member
Reaction score
isn't 1ml of 0.25% solution equal to 2.5 mg? that's 2.5x the oral dose.

I really think a better test is to ensure you answer YES to ALL of the questions below before deciding to take it, be it oral or topical :

do you have high libido?
do you get regular morning erections?
are your breasts normal shape and size for a male?
do you have normal to high-normal DHT?
do you have normal to high-normal T?
do you have good erectile function?