New Topical finasteride Study - Efficacy + Sides

Arne Reyns

My Regimen
Reaction score
hey there,
there's a post somewhere with my pictures (which are far from be professionals), but yes, i gained some density with dermarolling+ minoxidil, and i apply mazzarella (0,005%) finasteride 2ml a day to maintain. its below flat response, a minimal dosage and i dont have any issues (i had them with oral).I'm considering to add to the minoxidl solution the valproic acid (that i suspect is part of the follica protocol). i've posted some studies about it.
here some:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3323655/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29554482
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/325580930_Topical_valproate_solution_for_hair_growth
https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01548066

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022202X17315555

Thanks for the tips. Do you think this low dosed finasteride topical alone would do something? I am allergic to minoxidil... I can maybe add zinc + p5p to the solution? I bought this because I was also thinking to make Zix

Arne Reyns

My Regimen
Reaction score
what sides did you get from oral finasteride ?

I got immediate sexual sides after the first pill. However, these side effects didn't make me want to stop finasteride. After 3 weeks I had serious brain fog + bad mood. After stopping finasteride I had started having a depression (however I was already feeling quite bad before using finasteride, but not at all as bad as when I quit using it).

Kambrira159

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I got immediate sexual sides after the first pill. However, these side effects didn't make me want to stop finasteride. After 3 weeks I had serious brain fog + bad mood. After stopping finasteride I had started having a depression (however I was already feeling quite bad before using finasteride, but not at all as bad as when I quit using it).

At least you admit you were depressed before even starting. Wouldn't be surprised if your sexual side effects are just psychological and have nothing to do with finasteride. Who the c*** has sexual side effects immediately, unless you're overdosing like f***.

badhabiz

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. Do you think this low dosed finasteride topical alone would do something? I am allergic to minoxidil... I can maybe add zinc + p5p to the solution? I bought this because I was also thinking to make Zix
Yes microdosing alone is good for most people in order to maintain.
If you want to add zix to your routine, i sugget you not to do it in the same topical.

NotInmywatch

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's very common to have immediate sexual side effects. The day after taking my first pill my usual morning wood disappeared but it came back partially after like 2 months.
Be patient sometimes your body will get used to the drug. Dont give up so early

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's very common to have immediate sexual side effects. The day after taking my first pill my usual morning wood disappeared but it came back partially after like 2 months.
Be patient sometimes your body will get used to the drug. Dont give up so early

How much vitamin D a day do you take and what kind?

Lucky_Luciano

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
As far as i know the only reason it "stops" working is because the androgens in your body are winning the "battle" and are doing more damage to your follicles, than minoxidil can grow them.
Meaning, use any topical AA and you should be fine
And as far I know (cant know for sure, but it seems the most realistic) there is just tolerance developing to minoxidil, and it stops being effective. All the hair grown,kept and thickened on minoxidil then beginn to fall out independent of androgens. Or is there any way to keep minoxidil gains after stopping minoxidil? I already have bad expirience with minoxidil cause my balding started just after I tried minoxidil to improve beard growth for 2 month, through it would grow without it as well. I didnt use it on the head, but it went systemic and gave me side effects sometimes like tahycardia and fatique and changed my hair texture and darkened a little. Then I started balding really fast, though I didnt even have ANY signs of hairloss before and it doesnt really run in my family, especially at young age.

Moosey

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
And as far I know (cant know for sure, but it seems the most realistic) there is just tolerance developing to minoxidil, and it stops being effective. All the hair grown,kept and thickened on minoxidil then beginn to fall out independent of androgens. Or is there any way to keep minoxidil gains after stopping minoxidil? I already have bad expirience with minoxidil cause my balding started just after I tried minoxidil to improve beard growth for 2 month, through it would grow without it as well. I didnt use it on the head, but it went systemic and gave me side effects sometimes like tahycardia and fatique and changed my hair texture and darkened a little. Then I started balding really fast, though I didnt even have ANY signs of hairloss before and it doesnt really run in my family, especially at young age.
Sorry buddy but i dont believe that. How can minoxidil give hairloss to someone who doesnt have hairloss? thats nuts

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
are we talking balding as in slow thinning or are we talking alot of shedding? minoxidill can trigger what is called "telogen efflivium" I think I got it from minoxidill after using it a couple of days then dropping it. the shedding came after maybe 2-3 weeks im not really sure. but I lost around 500-1000 hairs DAILY for a month. which was EXTREME. normally I shed 50 a day or so. I saw some regrowth in one area of my head but not anywhere else was hard to tell cause of my long hair. I wonder if all the hair eventually grew back or not. but if I saw regrowth in one area that means the hairs didnt die. maybe it just rests and I have to stimulate the hair to grow again fuk minoxidill. or maybe the telogen efflivium I got was not connected to minoxidill at all..I just dont know. I had used minoxidil in the past a few times and used it for 2 months straight once without any types of shedding...but I doubt minoxidill can kill the folicles. if it could then your skin would die too or you would get some bad reaction on the skin aswell.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score

Are we talking slow thinning of the hair or alot of shedding? did minoxidil make you shed more now than before using it? Update on the pumpkin seeds taken 3000mg daily for 2 weeks. my eyes have been affected in a negative way. more dry worse quality oils too. im either going down to 2000mg then 1000mg or quit alltogether and let male pattern baldness win this battle. here is the study of anti-androgens affecting your eyes negativly.
https://academic.oup.com/jcem/article/85/12/4874/2856285

Last edited:

FilthyFrancis

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes microdosing alone is good for most people in order to maintain.
If you want to add zix to your routine, i sugget you not to do it in the same topical.

That's exactly my plan!

Zix b.i.d. (the worm way, i.e. with ethyl alcohol) + topical finasteride 0,01% o.d.

Idk if I remain under the flat line with 0.1mg topical. Based on the Caserini study (polichem), with such dosage serum DHT only drops by c. 25%, while scalp DHT decreases by c. 50%. I could lower the dosage but I would need a lab to compound it for me (and therefore, debate it with my tricho, who does not really seem into topical finasteride, for prescription).

Will document the journey.

badhabiz

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That's exactly my plan!

Zix b.i.d. (the worm way, i.e. with ethyl alcohol) + topical finasteride 0,01% o.d.

Idk if I remain under the flat line with 0.1mg topical. Based on the Caserini study (polichem), with such dosage serum DHT only drops by c. 25%, while scalp DHT decreases by c. 50%. I could lower the dosage but I would need a lab to compound it for me (and therefore, debate it with my tricho, who does not really seem into topical finasteride, for prescription).

Will document the journey.
yes you need a lab, for several reasons. btw with such low dose, its gonna be very cheap

XSuburbiaX

My Regimen
Reaction score
Anyone could confirm if the home made (mixing crushed finasteride pills in the minoxidil for me) works as well?

FilthyFrancis

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
yes you need a lab, for several reasons. btw with such low dose, its gonna be very cheap

I ordered Minoxidilmax 0.05% solution and plan to use 0.2 ml of it daily, diluted with distilled water, while monitoring hormones.

Will certainly go for a lab-compounded solution as soon as my tricho comes back from his trip.

Lucky_Luciano

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
are we talking balding as in slow thinning or are we talking alot of shedding? minoxidill can trigger what is called "telogen efflivium" I think I got it from minoxidill after using it a couple of days then dropping it. the shedding came after maybe 2-3 weeks im not really sure. but I lost around 500-1000 hairs DAILY for a month. which was EXTREME. normally I shed 50 a day or so. I saw some regrowth in one area of my head but not anywhere else was hard to tell cause of my long hair. I wonder if all the hair eventually grew back or not. but if I saw regrowth in one area that means the hairs didnt die. maybe it just rests and I have to stimulate the hair to grow again fuk minoxidill. or maybe the telogen efflivium I got was not connected to minoxidill at all..I just dont know. I had used minoxidil in the past a few times and used it for 2 months straight once without any types of shedding...but I doubt minoxidill can kill the folicles. if it could then your skin would die too or you would get some bad reaction on the skin aswell.

I had an insane shedding that lasted for a few months. And then the shedding didnt stop at all, just slowed down. I dont know if the shedded hair regrew, probably yes, but not all. I continued losing hair at very fast rate, trough I didnt loose any before minoxidil!! Temples receded and hair density on top reduced a lot like +1NW a year. So now have a diffuse NW3 heading to NW4 just in 4 years. I think i had a balding predisposition, but minoxidil gave it a kickstart and boosted baldness x100.

Last edited:

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
I had an insane shedding that lasted for a few months. And then the shedding didnt stop at all, just slowed down. I dont know if the shedded hair regrew, probably yes, but not all. I continued losing hair at very fast rate, trough I didnt loose any before minoxidil!! Temples receded and hair density on top reduced a lot like +1NW a year. So now have a diffuse NW3 heading to NW4 just in 4 years. I think i had a balding predisposition, but minoxidil gave it a kickstart and boosted baldness x100.

Thats crazy dude...prolly minoxidil triggered your male pattern baldness gene by starting something within the hair folicle receptor...I read minoxdill have some effect on the androgen receptors. but this is just a wild guess its a complex thing. I read about a guy that titled his post "minoxidill killed my hair" he said he had no signs of balding before he was a NW1 with normal thick hair. he used minoxidill because he wanted to have thicker hair but then later he started shedding alot and nothing grew back and his hairline had receeded and got diffuse thinning all over. he sounds alot like you. f*** man this scares me I wish I never touched minoxidill for the last time. should have just called it quits with it. but still cant be sure if it was the minoxidil or not. somehow despite the shedding I didnt notice a decrease in thickness in my hair... weirdly. but not sure I got all the hair back tho. but I was a diffuser for years and my crown area has been thinning very slowly over the years. and now its thinner than 2-3 months ago. and the shedding had stopped a year back. cant use minoxidill anymore and cant use oral DHT blockers. im just gonna use alot of essential peppermint oil with topical pumpkin seed oil on my scalp, and use my 300 diode laser helmet from overmachogrande. and take MSM and some vitamins thats about it. I read peppermint oil widens your blood vessles and work just as good as 2% minoxidill in a study. cant hurt to try I know for some it has worked abit and some not. but im gonna use a higher dosage. will update in this thread if my balding stops or not. if I go bald I go bald f*** it....time to accept what nature intended it sucks big time but sometimes you gotta throw in the towel and let it happen and get over it. im gonna be 32 in 2 months so im not that young anymore anyway.

Last edited:

Arne Reyns

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys. I am thinking about trying a topical. I am not sure if I would try Zix or Topical Finasteride (at low dose). What would u guys suggest?

Does anyone have experience with adding finasteride to Zix? So that way I could maybe combine the 2 topicals? What do you guys think?

Moosey

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys. I am thinking about trying a topical. I am not sure if I would try Zix or Topical Finasteride (at low dose). What would u guys suggest?

Does anyone have experience with adding finasteride to Zix? So that way I could maybe combine the 2 topicals? What do you guys think?
Why do you need "experience" for that? Literally just make a fina and zix solution and apply each of em in the evening. I'd probably apply the finasteride first, wait 10 minutes and then apply the zix

Moosey

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Lucky Luciano @losingbattle88
I had a full head of hair exactly one year ago. It was thinning visibly but very slowly. I used minoxidil and dutasteride and shedded hair for the past 12 months. Fast forward to today, i have lost 50% of my hair, and no matter what i do my baldness is very visible from almost every distance.
If i knew the shedding would decimate my hair like this i would have never used these medications. Literally whats the point of protecting my hair if duta and minoxidil give me 10 years of hairloss in a single year before they start doing anything.

Arne Reyns

My Regimen
Reaction score
Why do you need "experience" for that? Literally just make a fina and zix solution and apply each of em in the evening. I'd probably apply the finasteride first, wait 10 minutes and then apply the zix

Thanks for the tip. Wouldn't it be better to apply one in the morning and one in the evening then? To give both of them time to work.