New Study: Topical Cetirizine For Androgenetic Alopecia Shows Promise

Splatt

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Me too, I correlate the hair loss to the pain and itch, yes it is pain, and I know you know. If the itch is gone then the hair loss is gone. I was on finasteride for a long time and I think I maintained for a good long time and the itch stopped after maybe a year or so. My hair was good till about 3 months ago and it had been 6-7 years since any recession. I know that finasteride loses it’s effectiveness after a while and that’s why I’m taking these measures. If I can stop the itch, I can control it

Splatt

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Man its so weird how many men with male pattern baldness complain about the itch, yet there is no formal connection between the too. It just seems to happen too often to be a coincidence am I right?
I have it too, and I am thinking more and more I should try propecia and see if it helps. I dont want to do these underground basement chemist treatments, even if some might work.
It took a while for it to stop, but after a year or so the itch stopped and I stapalized with some thickening. You hear everyone talk about sides, but I didn’t have any. The only bad thing was it took so long to do anything.

Splatt

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@jamesbooker1975 : If it's not helping for the itchy scalp I won't bother any longer. I'm not expecting regrowth, I just want pain go away. 20 days is enough to draw a conclusion.
If I wanted regrowth (not talking about the itch) ... 3-5 months is the very least.
I’m gonna give it at least a year bc that’s when I had my gains from finasteride. I didn’t respond right away, but when it got good, it was good. Plus I’ve been on dutasteride for only 2 months and no real sides yet

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
@jamesbooker1975 : If it's not helping for the itchy scalp I won't bother any longer. I'm not expecting regrowth, I just want pain go away. 20 days is enough to draw a conclusion.
If I wanted regrowth (not talking about the itch) ... 3-5 months is the very least.
I have no idea, since when, we can evaluate a drug that it work for Androgenetic Alopecia with the "itchy or not itchy " metodology . Guess I am too old. I am old school. If a drug stop the advance of male pattern baldness, means the drug works.

Also, are you using another lotion ? the itchy can be cause it with any lotion with PG.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m gonna give it at least a year bc that’s when I had my gains from finasteride. I didn’t respond right away, but when it got good, it was good. Plus I’ve been on dutasteride for only 2 months and no real sides yet
Check your liver enzymes, dutasteride triple mines for years . No other drug cause that on me. 9 months after dutasteride stop, are all back to normal .
Also, I am sorry to tell you, that there is no chance that Dutasteride will not give you side effects. No DHT, lack of 5-alpha reductase that participate in many reactions in the body, not just the convertion of T to DHT . Estrogen predominance, etc.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think that the oral drops are great for absorption in the gut but probably not that great for topical absorption.

PMID: 23867423
" Cetirizine has also been shown to be absorbed extensively and rapidly from the gut [23], leading to high bio-availability and rapid onset of action of the drug [24], and unlike many other Second Generation Antihistamines cetirizine does not undergo hepatic metabolism to any appreciable extent, "

Zyrtec® oral drops contain glycerol, propylene glycol, saccharin sodium, methyl hydroxybenzoate and propyl hydroxybenzoate, sodium acetate, acetic acid and purified water.

The Rossi study mentioned 96º alcohol as vehicle (and "cyclo-siliconepentamer", which is probably just a hair conditioner) and I think this is very relevant to overcome the skin corneal layer resistance.

In all cases, I suggest using the coffee grinder method and tablets in alcohol, wait 6 months and then conclude something.

I've been using this method for 3 weeks and shedding has stopped and itching has been reduced by 80%. Itching gradually returns aprox 12 hours after application, for which I'm considering twice per day application.

I hate the fact that you end up looking like a disheveled hamster after application, though.

Nah. And ethanol is also show it to degradate it .
With Glycerol and PG ( the one that I use contain PG ) is enought for penetration plus the low moleular size of ceti .

Plus, worst scenario, apply the drops and then a lotion that contrain PG, like ketoconazole cream or Rogain liquid.

NotInmywatch

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Nah. And ethanol is also show it to degradate it .
With Glycerol and PG ( the one that I use contain PG ) is enought for penetration plus the low moleular size of ceti .

Plus, worst scenario, apply the drops and then a lotion that contrain PG, like ketoconazole cream or Rogain liquid.

In my case dutasteride 0.5mg daily caused no sides for 6 years and then out of nowhere, low T symptoms appeared....(loss of morning wood, no libido, evident fatigue at the gym, cold hands) . Total Testosterone was found at 335, levels of an 80 year old man! estradiol normal at 29pg/mL this drug is unpredictable and dangerous.

I immediately started with dutasteride 0.5mg every 36h, 2000 iu vitamin d3 daily, zinc gluconate 40mg daily, folic acid 400 mcg daily..... 1month later, morning wood came back, libido slowly coming back as well. sperm analysis did not show oligospermia. jesus christ that was a very close call.

Yeah, perhaps glycerol and PG can do the trick; I prepare my batches once per week and keep aliquots at 4ºC to curb degradation.

Splatt

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have no idea, since when, we can evaluate a drug that it work for Androgenetic Alopecia with the "itchy or not itchy " metodology . Guess I am too old. I am old school. If a drug stop the advance of male pattern baldness, means the drug works.

Also, are you using another lotion ? the itchy can be cause it with any lotion with PG.
Am using a lot of other things, but when I noticed the fall I noticed the itch and burn, they are synonymous. Some of us feel the hair fall. It’s not just a private war, as it affects us totally

Cue Bald

Experienced Member
Reaction score
for me itchy scalp correlated with shedding. the worse the itch the more the shed.
finasteride stopped both the itch and the shed within a week for me.

Splatt

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
for me itchy scalp correlated with shedding. the worse the itch the more the shed.
finasteride stopped both the itch and the shed within a week for me.
I take Cetrizine in the morning orally. Is there a way to get it topically? I understand that putting it with liquid oral minoxidil will degrade one on other

NotInmywatch

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The aim of our report was to evaluate the efficacy and tolerability
of a galenic lotion composed of cetirizine 1%, 16% cyclo-siliconepentamer,
96 ºC of ethyl alcohol applied once a day on the scalp. In
order to perform the study, the patients were divided into two
groups: the first one characterized by the use of topical cetirizine
1% (1 application/daily=1 ml/daily) and the second one treated
with placebo (16% cyclo-silicone-pentamer, 96 ºC of ethyl alcohol, 1
application/daily=1 ml/daily).

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
In my case dutasteride 0.5mg daily caused no sides for 6 years and then out of nowhere, low T symptoms appeared....(loss of morning wood, no libido, evident fatigue at the gym, cold hands) . Total Testosterone was found at 335, levels of an 80 year old man! estradiol normal at 29pg/mL this drug is unpredictable and dangerous.

I immediately started with dutasteride 0.5mg every 36h, 2000 iu vitamin d3 daily, zinc gluconate 40mg daily, folic acid 400 mcg daily..... 1month later, morning wood came back, libido slowly coming back as well. sperm analysis did not show oligospermia. jesus christ that was a very close call.

Yeah, perhaps glycerol and PG can do the trick; I prepare my batches once per week and keep aliquots at 4ºC to curb degradation.

" estradiol normal at 29pg/mL" That is high, specially if you are on dutasteride, cause you don't have the counteract hormone of Estradiol, that is DHT .

jared garnith

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
so has anyone actually had any success on ceti, this has been around for a while but I never hear much praise

HairSuit

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think that the oral drops are great for absorption in the gut but probably not that great for topical absorption.

PMID: 23867423
" Cetirizine has also been shown to be absorbed extensively and rapidly from the gut [23], leading to high bio-availability and rapid onset of action of the drug [24], and unlike many other Second Generation Antihistamines cetirizine does not undergo hepatic metabolism to any appreciable extent, "

Zyrtec® oral drops contain glycerol, propylene glycol, saccharin sodium, methyl hydroxybenzoate and propyl hydroxybenzoate, sodium acetate, acetic acid and purified water.

The Rossi study mentioned 96º alcohol as vehicle (and "cyclo-siliconepentamer", which is probably just a hair conditioner) and I think this is very relevant to overcome the skin corneal layer resistance.

In all cases, I suggest using the coffee grinder method and tablets in alcohol, wait 6 months and then conclude something.

I've been using this method for 3 weeks and shedding has stopped and itching has been reduced by 80%. Itching gradually returns aprox 12 hours after application, for which I'm considering twice per day application.

I hate the fact that you end up looking like a disheveled hamster after application, though.
@jamesbooker1975 has used the oral drops topically to some success, if I’m not mistaken.

doggfather

Established Member
Reaction score
@jamesbooker1975 I bought the Kirkland Aller-Tec liquid oral version for kids which is 5mg/5ml. If i bought Zyrtec liquid gel capsules which are 10mg of cetirizine each, cut 54 of them open and add it to 60ml of the kids version then i would effectively have a very pure 1% solution of cetirizine correct? What do you think of this idea?

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
@jamesbooker1975 I bought the Kirkland Aller-Tec liquid oral version for kids which is 5mg/5ml. If i bought Zyrtec liquid gel capsules which are 10mg of cetirizine each, cut 54 of them open and add it to 60ml of the kids version then i would effectively have a very pure 1% solution of cetirizine correct? What do you think of this idea?
You need to buy it online, from outside USA where the 1% is available. In South America and Europe is available as 1 % .

doggfather

Established Member
Reaction score
You need to buy it online, from outside USA where the 1% is available. In South America and Europe is available as 1 % .

@jamesbooker1975 I created a 0.6% solution by crushing 30 10mg pills adding it to 30ml of distilled water and mixing it with 30ml of the childrens .1% solution. I think it’s getting systemically absorbed though because i put it on at night before i go to sleep. When I wake up I’m tired, drowsy and ywaning for the entire day and I get the dry nose. Do you get drowsiness sides at all? I want to keep on using it but not with these sides i’m getting