New Study: Topical Cetirizine For Androgenetic Alopecia Shows Promise

sunchyme1

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am 27 years old, intact hairline, but probably Norwood III vertex. I used finasteride from 22 to 25 before stopping because I felt like it was negatively impacting my mood, etc.

I believe that yes this could be better than the what was used in the study. The formulation in the study didn't do any skin permeation tests or anything so I cannot say for sure though. It also depends on if Cetirizine needs to directly reach the hair follicle, or if just targeting eosinophils and other cells in the epidermis and dermis is enough. I don't know how the niosomal formulation directly targets/effects the hair follicle. But, I would bet on it being better because it forms a depot in stratum corneum and continuously releases from it.

As for topical formulation and what is best. It really depends on the drug and what you want to do. Transdermal penetration is MUCH different than local topical penetration. Transdermal assumes that it reaches systemic circulation.

In general what impacts absorption into the skin for transdermal delivery is:

- size of drug (< 400 Da)
- skin hydration of the site (basically want an occlusive barrier, through ointment etc)
- drug vehicle (drug should be more attracted to skin than the vehicle)
- retention (how long the drug is in contact with the skin)
- concentration of the drug in vehicle
- micro needling and other disruptive processes of the skin can impact absorption
- heat can also increase absorption

This is all for successful transdermal delivery however, in terms of hairloss, we do not necessarily want transdermal absorption, we do not want these drugs to go systemic. We want them to stay and work locally, which is what the niosomal formulation I detailed above will do.

**EDIT**

I forgot to mention that, yes, niosomes are quite easy to make, it may not be perfect in terms of size (like nanometers bc you need a sonicator or you could perhaps use extrusion for a cheaper alternative), but I made the above niosomes with no sonicator just fine. Many formulations may require a rotovap but you can build one yourself for fairly cheap.

good stuff. please stick around and keep us updated on this

what are you using for your hair now?

its says your back on finasteride and hydro cortisone in your regimen box? you ever thought of trying ru?

Spice_Lord

My Regimen
Reaction score
good stuff. please stick around and keep us updated on this

what are you using for your hair now?

its says your back on finasteride and hydro cortisone in your regimen box? you ever thought of trying ru?

That should say minoxidil and hydrocortisone, mistyped it and don't know how to change it. I looked it up and it does have decent results from the pics I see, but I'm afraid of anything effecting androgens, perhaps after this cetirizine trial.

You can apply cetirizine and try applying minoxidil after, cetirizine will still absorb some into the skin most likely, but in the time scale that the water stays in contact with the scalp, I am guessing it is not enough.

TK421

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That should say minoxidil and hydrocortisone

I have constant scalp itch/inflammation and dandruff and nothing has worked for me so far (ketoconazole 1% and 2%, head & shoulders, coal tar, salicytic acid). What kind of results do you get from hydrocortisone? I'm wondering if this could help my scalp problems and ultimately help reduce shedding.

Spice_Lord

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have constant scalp itch/inflammation and dandruff and nothing has worked for me so far (ketoconazole 1% and 2%, head & shoulders, coal tar, salicytic acid). What kind of results do you get from hydrocortisone? I'm wondering if this could help my scalp problems and ultimately help reduce shedding.

It works well for me, I get Scalpicin from Wal-Mart and put it on after the I apply minoxidil, which probably improves the delivery of hydrocortisone. Plus, I think there is a study or two out there indicating hydrocortisone may help maintain.

TK421

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It works well for me, I get Scalpicin from Wal-Mart and put it on after the I apply minoxidil, which probably improves the delivery of hydrocortisone. Plus, I think there is a study or two out there indicating hydrocortisone may help maintain.

Thanks! I'll look into it.

sunchyme1

My Regimen
Reaction score

you use cortisone every day?

this stuff can cause skin problems long term right? whats your plan with this stuff? you going to be cycling on and off?

nohairnolife

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am 27 years old, intact hairline, but probably Norwood III vertex. I used finasteride from 22 to 25 before stopping because I felt like it was negatively impacting my mood, etc.

I believe that yes this could be better than the what was used in the study. The formulation in the study didn't do any skin permeation tests or anything so I cannot say for sure though. It also depends on if Cetirizine needs to directly reach the hair follicle, or if just targeting eosinophils and other cells in the epidermis and dermis is enough. I don't know how the niosomal formulation directly targets/effects the hair follicle. But, I would bet on it being better because it forms a depot in stratum corneum and continuously releases from it.

As for topical formulation and what is best. It really depends on the drug and what you want to do. Transdermal penetration is MUCH different than local topical penetration. Transdermal assumes that it reaches systemic circulation.

In general what impacts absorption into the skin for transdermal delivery is:

- size of drug (< 400 Da)
- skin hydration of the site (basically want an occlusive barrier, through ointment etc)
- drug vehicle (drug should be more attracted to skin than the vehicle)
- retention (how long the drug is in contact with the skin)
- concentration of the drug in vehicle
- micro needling and other disruptive processes of the skin can impact absorption
- heat can also increase absorption

This is all for successful transdermal delivery however, in terms of hairloss, we do not necessarily want transdermal absorption, we do not want these drugs to go systemic. We want them to stay and work locally, which is what the niosomal formulation I detailed above will do.

**EDIT**

I forgot to mention that, yes, niosomes are quite easy to make, it may not be perfect in terms of size (like nanometers bc you need a sonicator or you could perhaps use extrusion for a cheaper alternative), but I made the above niosomes with no sonicator just fine. Many formulations may require a rotovap but you can build one yourself for fairly cheap.

You are truly the spiciest of meatballs Lord Zyrtec

We await your deliverance

Spice_Lord

My Regimen
Reaction score
you use cortisone every day?

this stuff can cause skin problems long term right? whats your plan with this stuff? you going to be cycling on and off?

Yes long time use of hydrocortisone can lead to thinning of the skin which is why I hope cetirizine works out and I can get that going shortly.

The main problem with transferosomes, liposomes, and (some) niosomes is the requirement of phosphatidylcholine in high purity (trade name Phospholipon) it cost like $1 per mg which adds up when you consider you may need grams of it. To continue forward I'd like to actually experiment with the levels of Phospholipon, but first I need to review if phosphatidylcholine can be reliably and easily extracted from soy lecithin.

Vinc2097

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

nohairnolife

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Anybody who knows alien language like "zwitterion" and talks about sonic screwdrivers and sh*t has to be on to something come on

sktboiboi

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I stopped ages ago because it ended up doing nothing for me.
u r right- it did nothing for me too. I was taking cetrizine daily without fail, at around the same time every single day(around ~9am in the morning) for more than 2 weeks.

I can confirm that it doesnt stop the itch and inflammation

*i wanna reiterate that cetrizine not working for me, does not mean it wont for others.