New Studies Show Vit D Implicated In Hair Loss And Calcipotriol

StayPositive

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Since when do you apply it? What's the dose (mg, ml, concentration, IU - if you don't know, can you link the product and tell us how much of it you use per day)? How do you apply it and where? All over your scalp?

Since March 2020 i think. It's called daivonex. I use it every night and cover the entire scalp. I use 2 tubes of 150g per month. I use a lot. It does work extremely well for psoriasis, the best thing i have tried for sure. But it simply does not work at all for male pattern baldness

Last edited:

benjt2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Pretty strong case against vitamin D. I'll still give it a try for a few months, even if the chances of it doing anything are slim. Vitamin D supplements aren't expensive after all.

benjt2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
And another interesting study: "Study of gene expression alteration in male androgenetic alopecia: evidence of predominant molecular signalling pathways".

Money quote:
In addition, lower expression of CYP27B1 in patients with Androgenetic Alopecia supports the notion that changes in vitamin D metabolism contributes to hair loss. [...] This study provides compelling evidence for distinct molecular events contributing to alopecia.

What's also interesting is the following:
In particular, one of these events depends on the dysregulated expression of proopiomelanocortin
Proopiomelanocortin is upregulated through sunlight exposure, but I don't know if also through vitamin D or not.

One more paper, "Vitamin D and Wnt/b-Catenin Signaling":
1,25(OH)2D3/VDR inhibits b-catenin/TCF transcriptional activity in colon cancer cells, while upregulation of the Wnt/b-catenin pathway by either ligand-activated or unliganded VDR promotes bone formation or hair follicle differentiation, respectively.

And the third paper for this post, "The Vitamin D Receptor Is a Wnt Effector that Controls Hair Follicle Differentiation and Specifies Tumor Type in Adult Epidermis":
We have investigated how Wnt and vitamin D receptor signals regulate epidermal differentiation. Many epidermal genes induced by b-catenin, including the stem cell marker keratin 15, contain vitamin D response elements (VDREs) and several are induced independently of TCF/Lef. The VDR is required for b-catenin induced hair follicle formation in adult epidermis, and the vitamin D analog EB1089 synergises with b-catenin to stimulate hair differentiation.

Last edited:

INT

Reaction score
Peer-reviewed means nothing anymore, the whole process has become such a joke. You really have to read any study yourself and see if there are any issues with it

?? So if you place you own judgement above peer-reviewed research, where do you base your judgement on?

I've seen those studies paid for by vegans that say milk causes cancer, and they claim it's because of IGF-1, but the IGF-1 in milk does not get absorbed by the body, so how is this possible? I am in my mid 30s and I still carded, I think I'm doing something right with my diet. Meanwhile, every vegan I know looks so unhealthy. Their skin and hair are gross.

Come on man. Who do you think has a bigger lobby behind it: the meat and dairy industry or the kale and lentil industry? Also: my grandmother turned 100 and she smoked since she was 22. So HoW iS tHaT PoSsIble?

If you think every vegan you know looks unhealthy, you simply do not know enough vegans.

Last edited:

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
?? So if you place you own judgement above peer-reviewed research, where do you base your judgement on?

Come on man. Who do you think has a bigger lobby behind it: the meat and dairy industry or the kale and lentil industry? Also: my grandmother turned 100 and she smoked since she was 22. So HoW iS tHaT PoSsIble?

If you think every vegan you know looks unhealthy, you simply do not know enough vegans.
Vegan triggered. You guys are everywhere, and you feel you have a moral imperative to convert everyone. It's a religion to you.

Researchers who have examined peer review often find evidence that it works barely better than chance at keeping poor-quality studies out of journals or that it doesn't work at all. That conclusion has been arrived at in experiments like this one or this one and systematic reviews that bring together all the relevant studies, like this one and this one.

You can't take something as a given simply because it's peer-reviewed.

INT

Reaction score
Vegan triggered. You guys are everywhere, and you feel you have a moral imperative to convert everyone. It's a religion to you.

Researchers who have examined peer review often find evidence that it works barely better than chance at keeping poor-quality studies out of journals or that it doesn't work at all. That conclusion has been arrived at in experiments like this one or this one and systematic reviews that bring together all the relevant studies, like this one and this one.

You can't take something as a given simply because it's peer-reviewed.

Nope, not a vegan. Just kind of fascinated by the scientifically illiterate and dogmatic hate that those who are vegan often receive. Your attempt to put me a label on me that would make it easier for you to attack me unfortunately failed.

Also, you did not answer my question.

partysnacks

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
And another interesting study: "Study of gene expression alteration in male androgenetic alopecia: evidence of predominant molecular signalling pathways".

Money quote:

What's also interesting is the following:

Proopiomelanocortin is upregulated through sunlight exposure, but I don't know if also through vitamin D or not.

One more paper, "Vitamin D and Wnt/b-Catenin Signaling":

And the third paper for this post, "The Vitamin D Receptor Is a Wnt Effector that Controls Hair Follicle Differentiation and Specifies Tumor Type in Adult Epidermis":

The first referenced study has a really nice graphic of the genomic pathways:
1610139304214.png

Schematic representation of signalling pathways and functional networks in Androgenetic Alopecia. Modulated genes in androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia) are indicated in blue when overexpressed or in red when underexpressed in patients with Androgenetic Alopecia vs. healthy controls. Asterisks indicate in which compartment(s) of the hair follicle the gene expression was reported to be detected (*hair matrix, **dermal papilla, ***outer root sheath or ****inner root sheath),

And something I haven't seen much mention of:
The notion that Androgenetic Alopecia exhibits an alteration of vitamin biosynthesis was supported by the decreased expression of CYP27B1 in 86% of the patients with Androgenetic Alopecia (Table 5, P < 0·02). Indeed, expression of CYP27B1 is involved in the synthesis of calcitriol, which elicits a protective role in radiation‐induced alopecia.73 Such reduced expression of CYP27B1 in Androgenetic Alopecia can be related to the underexpression of tyrosine hydroxylase (TH) that we observed (Table 5, P < 0·05). Known as a transcriptional target of vitamin D3,74 TH is involved in the first step of l‐DOPA synthesis, with activation of tyrosinase leading to melanogenesis.75 Thus, in addition to the roles of POMC and ASIP in hair differentiation and melanogenesis towards their respective impacts on CTNNB1, a decrease of TH might explain the progressive replacement of terminal hairs by smaller hairs with less pigmentation observed in Androgenetic Alopecia.

Maybe I'm misreading this, but I wonder if increasing focusing on increasing expression of tyrosine hydroxylase would be more effective than just Vitamin D.

benjt2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's always better to target upstream, where possible. The way I read this section, vitamin D is upstream of TH. As we can directly supplement vitamin D, vitamin D is also easier to target. On top of that, vitamin D level elevation over longer periods of time also upregulates VDR.

All in all, given the time frame of Androgenetic Alopecia progression and of hair cycles in general, I'm really wondering if vitamin D would be beneficial - but we would need to supplement it to very high levels (2,000 to 4,000 IU/d) for months, maybe up to two years to see the first results.

inmyhead

Reaction score
It's always better to target upstream, where possible. The way I read this section, vitamin D is upstream of TH. As we can directly supplement vitamin D, vitamin D is also easier to target. On top of that, vitamin D level elevation over longer periods of time also upregulates VDR.

All in all, given the time frame of Androgenetic Alopecia progression and of hair cycles in general, I'm really wondering if vitamin D would be beneficial - but we would need to supplement it to very high levels (2,000 to 4,000 IU/d) for months, maybe up to two years to see the first results.
Are you trolling? People have been supplementing such and higher doses of vitamin D for decades and it does not work against male pattern baldness.
This is getting ridiculous. 2021 and people getting back to vitamin D, scalp massage, progesterone, bad posture and another theories based on bad evidence.

Gegen

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you trolling? People have been supplementing such and higher doses of vitamin D for decades and it does not work against male pattern baldness.
This is getting ridiculous. 2021 and people getting back to vitamin D, scalp massage, progesterone, bad posture and another theories based on bad evidence.
Yeah all these theories are ridiculous. It's all about equilibrated diet.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah all these theories are ridiculous. It's all about equilibrated diet.

Theories are theories, but are inocues? An example scalp massages are not detritemal, but is the same for finas, progesterone or dermarrolling?