New Studies Show Vit D Implicated In Hair Loss And Calcipotriol

Jk1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Assessment of vitamin D receptors in alopecia areata and androgenetic alopecia.
Abstract
BACKGROUND:
Alopecia areata (AA) is a frequent autoimmune disease, the pathogenesis of which is still unknown. Androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia) is a noncicatricial type of patterned hair loss. Expression of vitamin D receptors (VDRs) on keratinocytes is essential for maintenance of normal hair cycle, especially anagen initiation.

OBJECTIVE:
To assess VDRs in the skin and blood of AA and Androgenetic Alopecia patients, in order to evaluate their possible role in these hair diseases.

METHODS:
This study recruited 20 patients with AA, 20 patients with Androgenetic Alopecia, and 20 healthy controls. Blood samples and lesional scalp biopsies were taken from all participants for detection of VDR levels.

RESULTS:
Serum and tissue VDR levels were lower in AA as well as Androgenetic Alopecia patients when compared to controls (P = 0.000). Serum and tissue VDR were positively correlated in each group. Tissue VDR was significantly lower in female patients with AA than males (P = 0.046) although serum and tissue VDR levels were significantly higher in female Androgenetic Alopecia patients than males (P = 0.004).

CONCLUSION:
This study suggests an important role for VDR in the pathogenesis of AA and Androgenetic Alopecia through documenting lower serum and tissue VDR levels in AA and Androgenetic Alopecia patients in comparison with controls.

Jk1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Study showing calcipotriol effect on Alopecia area

The researchers wanted to determine how the use of the calcipotriol lotion affected severity of AA, including the quantity of hair loss. To do this, the researchers assessed regrowth of hair at 4, 8 and 12 weeks.

After 12 weeks of treatment, hair regrowth occurred in 59% (13/22) of the patients. On average, it took 4.2 weeks before hair regrowth began to occur in the patients. The researchers also found that those who began the study with low vitamin D levels experienced a bigger improvement in AA severity.

The researchers concluded,

“Topical calcipotriol can be an alternative treatment in AA and it could prove to be more useful in patients who are vitamin D deficient.”

Anecdotial evidence it improved hair with someone already on male pattern baldness/ google this :can-calcipotriol-or-vitamin-d-analog-stimulate-hair-growth/

Could cod liver oil which is high ih vitamin D be used as a topical for the same effect, cod liver oil is know to be anti inflamatory,immunreguateing and used in wound healing. also it has been know to be used topical so it should absorb ok.

And its not blood levels but it seems it to be the Skin Vitamin D receptor, and that bald head area has difference gene expression.

Jk1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
if you google their is people online anecdotialy claim that cod liver oil improves their hair growth and loss, also some people claim it helps for acne.

so both of these indicate it could have a positive effect ? is their any risk or downsides to applying cod liver oil topically ?

resu

Reaction score
Study showing calcipotriol effect on Alopecia area

The researchers wanted to determine how the use of the calcipotriol lotion affected severity of AA, including the quantity of hair loss. To do this, the researchers assessed regrowth of hair at 4, 8 and 12 weeks.

After 12 weeks of treatment, hair regrowth occurred in 59% (13/22) of the patients. On average, it took 4.2 weeks before hair regrowth began to occur in the patients. The researchers also found that those who began the study with low vitamin D levels experienced a bigger improvement in AA severity.

The researchers concluded,

“Topical calcipotriol can be an alternative treatment in AA and it could prove to be more useful in patients who are vitamin D deficient.”

Anecdotial evidence it improved hair with someone already on male pattern baldness/ google this :can-calcipotriol-or-vitamin-d-analog-stimulate-hair-growth/

Could cod liver oil which is high ih vitamin D be used as a topical for the same effect, cod liver oil is know to be anti inflamatory,immunreguateing and used in wound healing. also it has been know to be used topical so it should absorb ok.

And its not blood levels but it seems it to be the Skin Vitamin D receptor, and that bald head area has difference gene expression.

Get capsules and slice them up, that's what I'm gonna do. Cod liver smells even worse than it tastes. There's also spray and liquid Vitamin D.

There were previous studies that suggested it might have an impact in controlling the follicle's cycles.

Last edited:

Giiizmo

Established Member
Reaction score
Link to study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27151518

It doesn't really prove much, unfortunately. People have used vitamin D for a long time, as evidenced by user reports on this forum, but none really achieved any noticeable regrowth. Maybe the scalp still doesn't get enough vitamin D, or the affected tissues can't use it, or maybe it doesn't do anything by itself for hair growth.

drakeznathan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Okay, I tried reading and interpreting but it went above my head. In a nutshell, is it okay if I take Vitamin D 1000mcg caps ED ?

resu

Reaction score
It needs to reach the follicles, this isn't about being deficient in Vit D and the body channeling it into the receptors on its own.

whoken

Reaction score
Nothing reaches our damn follicles because they are overwhelmed with DHT. So we are back to step one.

Jk1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Nothing reaches our damn follicles because they are overwhelmed with DHT. So we are back to step one.
In those studies calcitrol does reach folicles as it helps growth.

Also interesting disscusion of upregulateing thr vitamin d receptor.. seems some infections stop it ! Could scalp dandruff be one factor that blocks it ?
https://selfhacked.com/2016/01/13/n...itrol-and-vitamin-d-receptor-gene-expression/

Tried it last night on half my head topical cod liver oil and instantly stopped scalp itch ! So will apply this for a few weeks to one side and see what happens

Jk1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/success-and-i-mean-regrowth.50617/page-2

This guy had good results after he added d3 to his diet. But i think we will get better results if we use it topically to gey to the vdr recerptor at the follicle.

Also this link to vit d would also explain the wives tale of egg yolk improveing hair thickness and regrowth. Lots of people online posting this benefit and guess what egg yolk is naturaly high in vitamin D !

Last edited:

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
if you google their is people online anecdotialy claim that cod liver oil improves their hair growth and loss, also some people claim it helps for acne.

so both of these indicate it could have a positive effect ? is their any risk or downsides to applying cod liver oil topically ?

Cod liver oil may help for acne as it's high in vitamin A.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Excellent post @Jk1, the study you linked actually looks very competent and sound and informative.

RegenWaiting

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you for posting this very interesting study OP!

Personally, I've always had a feeling that vit D has a huge effect on my health, not just my hair. It's just been a hunch I could never seem to shake. Now, why would vit D have a huge efffect on me? Does that translate to everybody else? I think not.

Androgenic Alopecia has been shown, through genetic mapping, to be (chances are high) influenced by changes in vit D metabolism. As we all know, there are different races of humans (no racist), and this is (to a degree) because of their adaption to climate where they live. Also, I've read that it takes apprx 50 generation to fully adapt to knew climate, much different to where your ancestors lived.

My family and I, and our roots go back to very, very southern-vest Europe. Mediterranean climate, many many sunny days, little changes in temperature and very little rain/shadow. Now, none of my grand-grand fathers were bald(ing). None of my grandfathers. Not my father. None of my male cousins. But both my only brother, and me are relatively agressively balding. We moved up north in Europe before teenage,because of my fathers job. And we ''adapted'', so we stayed. Compared to climate where our origins are, to where we live - huge difference. Only one-third of the yearly amount of sunny days. I've taken blood tests, and guess what? Vit D deficency. Hence why I, not long ago, started 'tanning', but not for the colour, but exclusively UVB rays. It's those that make your skin ''harder'' (you can call it ''fit''). I will soon do a new blood test.

Back on topic:

Just like vit D deficiency can be a predecessor to secondary hyperthyriodism, which can lead to extremely low testosterone, it's been higly correlated to Androgenetic Alopecia. We all know how important hormones are by know... Some studies show vit D deficiency can be detrimental to testosterone, and extensive sunbathing can also increase free T significantly.

That said, I think some studies are long overdue. I have long been anticipated a study to be done on exclusively immigrant people coming to new countries (more north) before teenage, and their balding percentage with many other important variables. After all, they aren't equipped with genes to live in this new climatic conditions. We may have very much overestimated our human biological flexibility after all...

Cheers

Jk1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Regarding the Vit A and acne yes good point ! cod liver oil has lots of Vit A, Also retina A an analogue of vitamin A is used in acne and male pattern baldness ! so the VIT A is another 2nd mode of action apart from VIT D !

Regenwaiting good point ! re our genes and these days the world is so multiculural and mobile it would not suprise me that this is a factor. it could be that simple balding is our bodies natural defence to a lack of vitamin D ! instead of dyeing... the hair falls off to allow more absorption in the best spot to access sunlight on the top ! Regearding the UV for VIT D.. good but make sure to get some on your head to help your hair ! UV is anti fungal and regulates immune response of the skin as well as give VIT D to the follicles.

so i wounder if it could be something simple as putting cod liver oil on our heads every few days. VIT D is a very power hormone on the whole body in a good way.. .in the calcitrol study they applied once or twice a day and got results in ONLY 4 weeks ! The reason i like cod liver oil and not Vit D as its natural not a synthetic version of Vit D3.

Who else is going to try this ? i am doing one temple only for 1 month to see if i notice a difference. i am gona mix it with peppermint oil to kill the smell as i use the liquid not gel caps.. but also that has been shown to work like minoxidil to boost growth !

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Interesting point BTW, but deficiencies in Vit D don't explain the pattern of common hair loss.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Now, none of my grand-grand fathers were bald(ing). None of my grandfathers. Not my father. None of my male cousins. But both my only brother, and me are relatively agressively balding.

did you noticed any chande in density and/or thickness in scalp hair between your relatives and you?

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Now, none of my grand-grand fathers were bald(ing). None of my grandfathers. Not my father. None of my male cousins. But both my only brother, and me are relatively agressively balding.

did you noticed any chande in density and/or thickness in scalp hair between your relatives and you?

abcdefg

Reaction score
This isnt about vitamin D levels. Its about how your body utilizes the vitamin D and how it affects the receptors. If people with male pattern baldness had too many or defective vitamin D receptors it wouldnt matter how much vitamin D you had. Really we would be back to DHT and how its not about DHT levels its about receptors and how your body responds to their presence.
Coming up with an actual fix or treatment would be what 10 years away minimum after they figure out exactly what the problem is? Its not an issue of popping some vitamin D supplement or getting sun if your body doesnt utilize it right which you cant control
There were previous studies showing this so it could be a contributing factor, but how large of one is it?