New Studies Show Vit D Implicated In Hair Loss And Calcipotriol

resu

Reaction score
DHT is what triggers Androgenetic Alopecia, tests were done that proves it.

resu

Reaction score
Really sensitivity to DHT, not DHT itself.

Saying that DHT causes hair loss is like saying that glucose causes cancer because cancer cells consume glucose. Yes they do, but so does nearly every other cell in the body.

Make your own theory on how a woman after receiving steroids developed male pattern baldness and not FPB.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andreas_Krieger
krieger.jpg

Heat06

Established Member
Reaction score
Ironically, before even seeing this thread, I was thinking about Vitamin D playing a role in baldness today as I was soaking up sun today. Call me weird, but has anyone that is not completely bald notice how there hair feels after being out all day in the sun? My hair always feels thicker after being out all day, but maybe it's just me. I have always noticed this.

I honestly believe Vitamin D plays a role in thinning and balding. Just wish I had the smarts to figure it out and try something. Maybe I need to tan every weekend or something.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Make your own theory on how a woman after receiving steroids developed male pattern baldness and not FPB.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andreas_Krieger
krieger.jpg

I am a woman and my back hair my donor region is thick and dense not effected by hair loss at all...most of my hair loss was the front center part line...which thickened up with treatment thankfully.
I never had a receding hair line--BUT minoxidil lowered my hair line and my widows peak a tiny bit and really thickened my hair line..

The way women with PCOS (i don't have it) get male pattern balding similar to men due to the excess testosterone they have and they also get a lot of body hair in places they should not like men. Not all of them but some for sure. The testosterone excess effects women simialar to men. That is different then traditional female pattern hair loss where womens testosterone level is normal. Some women with PCOS respond really well to oral spironolactone because their hair loss is simply from too much testosterone.

abcdefg

Reaction score
DHT isn't the only thing in her body that changed and she might have been very sensitive to DHT.

Fact - DHT is the single most influential factor in male pattern baldness that we know of so far. Its also the only one we can change through a drug. Nothing else so far has any proof even remotely close that it can change or influence the final fate of male pattern baldness to any significant degree.
You can say factors a,b,c are involved with male pattern baldness, but you dont have proof of that. You also dont have proof it can change hair counts to the same degree as what propecia/dutasteride have proven. Its not a guess its proven out through many studies. You cant argue the importance of DHT anymore.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Fact - DHT is the single most influential factor in male pattern baldness that we know of so far. Its also the only one we can change through a drug. Nothing else so far has any proof even remotely close that it can change or influence the final fate of male pattern baldness to any significant degree.
You can say factors a,b,c are involved with male pattern baldness, but you dont have proof of that. You also dont have proof it can change hair counts to the same degree as what propecia/dutasteride have proven. Its not a guess its proven out through many studies. You cant argue the importance of DHT anymore.

Minoxidil also brings hair back, and has no effect on DHT.

Histogen is now in phase III trials, and they have no effect on DHT (that I know of).

Fact: Men with higher serum DHT levels are less likely to go bald:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ajpa.1330880106/abstract
Yet the absolute serum androgen concentrations in men with a disposition to balding is lower than in men with no reduction of scalp hair. The widespread assumption that androgen levels are in general elevated in bald-trait men must therefore be rejected.

Balding curse

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

DHT is like sugar for diabetics , because their pancreas is not producing enough insulin to balance sugar in their bodies, so they cut sugar and balance it with insulin injections, in male pattern baldness because something wrong with the follicle or the scalp DHT is damging the hair, people with full head of hair have the same levels of DHT and testostrone but it's not affecting their hair, like when you have histamine tolerance, when you eat certain food it will cause you allergies, while people eating the same food and they do very well, genes are the main factor, if we know how this genes affect hair follicles then the puzzle is solved.

Last edited:

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
interesting thoughts but please think about it:

Body hair needs DHT to grow, why are so different certains hair over scalp?

BTW the important androgens in hair cycle are produced inside the pilosebaceous unit.

abcdefg

Reaction score
DHT is like sugar for diabetics , because their pancreas is not producing enough insulin to balance sugar in their bodies, so they cut sugar and balance it with insulin injections, in male pattern baldness because something wrong with the folicle or the scalp DHT is damging the hair, people with full head of hair have the same levels of DHT and testostrone but it's not affecting their hair, like when you have histamine tolerance, when you eat certan food will cause you allergies, while people eating the same food and they do very well, genes are the main factors, if we knew how this genes affect hair folicles then the puzzle is solved.

Yeah your right. Not knowing why DHT is harmful the best we can do is try to lower or block DHT and propecia attempts to do that. Its still the most proven and useful treatment we have. Nothing else comes close. I mean every single thing nowdays is DHT this or that all piggybacking off of what propecia found. Its funny how much stuff just copies off previous work like millions of snake oils. Even snake oils make sure to mention buzzwords like DHT now.

coolio

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
interesting thoughts but please think about it:

Body hair needs DHT to grow, why are so different certains hair over scalp?

BTW the important androgens in hair cycle are produced inside the pilosebaceous unit.

Scalp hair has the opposite reaction to androgens compared to body hair.

Look how strongly beard & body hair respond to post-puberty androgens - that is how BAD those same androgens are for scalp hair.

resu

Reaction score
Minoxidil also brings hair back, and has no effect on DHT.

Histogen is now in phase III trials, and they have no effect on DHT (that I know of).

Fact: Men with higher serum DHT levels are less likely to go bald:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ajpa.1330880106/abstract
Yet the absolute serum androgen concentrations in men with a disposition to balding is lower than in men with no reduction of scalp hair. The widespread assumption that androgen levels are in general elevated in bald-trait men must therefore be rejected.

Minoxidil restores the cells that are being destroyed by DHT and that's why you keep losing ground on minoxidil if you don't use finasteride because the damage will reach a point where minoxidil can't keep up.

kennyl370

My Regimen
Reaction score
DHT is like sugar for diabetics , because their pancreas is not producing enough insulin to balance sugar in their bodies, so they cut sugar and balance it with insulin injections, in male pattern baldness because something wrong with the follicle or the scalp DHT is damging the hair, people with full head of hair have the same levels of DHT and testostrone but it's not affecting their hair, like when you have histamine tolerance, when you eat certain food it will cause you allergies, while people eating the same food and they do very well, genes are the main factor, if we know how this genes affect hair follicles then the puzzle is solved.

This is a good way to explain it to people that don't have good backgrounds in science.

Same with asthma. Everyone thinks asthma is because you have "allergies". Well, yes, you do. But it's not the allergen that's the problem, bc 98% of the rest of the population doesn't swell up like the blueberry girl from Willy Wonka when they inhale that allergen. It's just because your body has mistakenly identified it was a deadly pathogen and has produced massive amounts of IgE antibodies to it which then signal your mast cells to degranulate and your respiratory system to swell up.

Does that mean the allergen is to blame? No, it's not. It's faulty systems in our bodies. (an allergen can be something normal btw. Take peanut butter for instance. Is PB & J toxic? No. It's f*****g amazing with a glass of cold milk, but some people die when they eat it, it doesn't mean its the cause though)

Same thing with DHT. Obviously DHT is not the MAIN cause of hair loss because if it was EVERY SINGLE MAN on the planet would be bald and we wouldn't be having this conversation in the first place. But due to faults in OTHER SYSTEMS, DHT is causing these OTHER faulty systems to cause a reaction they are not meant to.

Again, if it was just DHT causing baldness then finasteride lowering the levels to wayyy below the average NW1 person would cure it but that's not the case. Please stop trying to argue that it is, because it's just Not. Yes, we have identified it as the potential "allergy", that sends whatever other systems down the biological cascade more out of whack, but it is a GOOD thing for men to have DHT and NORMAL in every way. It's just the ripples caused by faults in other systems that are bad.

Hopefully explaining it in this way is easier to understand.

If not start reading up on some biology/physiology academia to get a good grasp on how biomechanical pathways work. It will give you a much better grasp also on what significance the results of the latest studies that come out are. It's much easier to tell if it's just a fluffed article by dumb reporters if you know what the study is actually showing.

Last edited:

kennyl370

My Regimen
Reaction score
Scalp hair has the opposite reaction to androgens compared to body hair.

Look how strongly beard & body hair respond to post-puberty androgens - that is how BAD those same androgens are for scalp hair.

Except it's not. The majority of the population's hair, on this planet at least, does not produce a negative effect when exposed to androgens.........You have to look past the very first thing you see and use some thought. It's not that simple.

resu

Reaction score
Except it's not. The majority of the population's hair, on this planet at least, does not produce a negative effect when exposed to androgens.........You have to look past the very first thing you see and use some thought. It's not that simple.

One word, genes. DHT triggers hair loss, fact, what you're claiming is like saying fire kills trees so just put the fire out with water and expect it to regrow again. The conditions for it to happen just aren't there anymore.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
One word, genes. DHT triggers hair loss, fact, what you're claiming is like saying fire kills trees so just put the fire out with water and expect it to regrow again. The conditions for it to happen just aren't there anymore.

Yes, and if you're allergic to peanut butter it will kill you.

But peanut butter is actually a fantastically healthy food overall, just as DHT does awesome things in the body. The issue is flawed sensitivity to peanut butter or DHT.

SmoothSailing

My Regimen
Reaction score

In your analogy, if dht starts the fire then people with male pattern baldness must have certain parts of their forest doused in varying levels of petrol that fuels this fire.

champpy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Ironically, before even seeing this thread, I was thinking about Vitamin D playing a role in baldness today as I was soaking up sun today. Call me weird, but has anyone that is not completely bald notice how there hair feels after being out all day in the sun? My hair always feels thicker after being out all day, but maybe it's just me. I have always noticed this.

I honestly believe Vitamin D plays a role in thinning and balding. Just wish I had the smarts to figure it out and try something. Maybe I need to tan every weekend or something.
I have noticed this slightly too, but i attribute it to my skin getting darker and it hides my white scalp more.
All i know is that a balding head does seem to look better if you have some skin color and are not pasty white

kennyl370

My Regimen
Reaction score
In your analogy, if dht starts the fire then people with male pattern baldness must have certain parts of their forest doused in varying levels of petrol that fuels this fire.

^^ This. If we have receptors that are mutated and different than the rest of the population and DHT is binding to them, when normally it wouldn't, and is causing them to fire 20X more than they are supposed to, and then those receptors firing off that much signals the body to release some other hormone and THAT second hormone (or third, or fourth. everything is a cascade of chemical messengers in the body) is the one that is destroying our hair.

If it was as simple as "FIRE BAD (DHT)!!!" We would just use the fire extinguisher on it (finasteride), and put it out, body is back to normal function. It's not that simple though, "It's holy sh*t this tropical rain forest is covered in kerosene, jet fuel, and piles of thermite! Oh, btw someone left a burning match over there on the table. (DHT)" Yea, putting out the match will slow the problem, but all it takes is another match, strike of lightning, or whatever else starts off the same hostile environment that is still sitting there waiting to explode.

It's getting hard to keep these analogies going.