New Northwestern Article On finasteride And dutasteride. (bad News)

RhinestoneHLT

Established Member
Reaction score
https://news.northwestern.edu/stori...ed-to-persistent-erectile-dysfunction-in-men/

Certainly correlates with my experience.

I remember when I would literally convince myself this drug was safe everyday and push it on here.

Got humbled real quick when sides obliterated my sexual abilities for 9 months after stopping and several months on the drug.

Liquid minoxidil and hydrocortisone have held my hair since stopping with zero additional losses visible in good quality photos.

Good riddance finpoison.

RhinestoneHLT

Established Member
Reaction score
"Young men under 42 taking the drug over a longer period were 4.9 times more likely to develop persistent Ed"

Riiiiip

spring15

My Regimen
Reaction score
finastersuicide.

1 month was all I needed on it for it to screw me over. Luckily it wasn't fully permanent.

RhinestoneHLT

Established Member
Reaction score
I wonder how many of those guy had a history of anxiety and/or depression.

Well I don't have any history of mental illness and I got sides that lasted over 6 months upon cessation. My T also feel from 700 to 139, literally. Took months to slowly go back up. My GP himself decided to go with Minoxodil because of the sh*t he's seen with younger guys on this drug. I'm done for good, not like it's a cure anyway, rather go bald a bit slower on minoxidil and nizoral and actually be a man.

Just me though, if people know the risks and choose it's worth it more power to them.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Well I don't have any history of mental illness and I got sides that lasted over 6 months upon cessation. My T also feel from 700 to 139, literally. Took months to slowly go back up. My GP himself decided to go with Minoxodil because of the sh*t he's seen with younger guys on this drug. I'm done for good, not like it's a cure anyway, rather go bald a bit slower on minoxidil and nizoral and actually be a man.

Just me though, if people know the risks and choose it's worth it more power to them.
I wonder if they conducted the same study with topical finasteride. Honestly, I would rather use finasteride topically if I know its just as effective but very little chance of sides. Have you tried topical finasteride with minoxidil?

RhinestoneHLT

Established Member
Reaction score
I wonder if they conducted the same study with topical finasteride. Honestly, I would rather use finasteride topically if I know its just as effective but very little chance of sides. Have you tried topical finasteride with minoxidil?

I haven't.

But my case might be different. I've went from NW2 to 2.5 in 9 years with just minoxidil, I've added hydrocortisone intermittently which has absolutely helped. finasteride made my hair thicker overall after about 6 months on it, but not nearly enough to be worth sides when I'm losing this slowly and already have a wife and kid.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I haven't.

But my case might be different. I've went from NW2 to 2.5 in 9 years with just minoxidil, I've added hydrocortisone intermittently which has absolutely helped. finasteride made my hair thicker overall after about 6 months on it, but not nearly enough to be worth sides when I'm losing this slowly and already have a wife and kid.
If you have the money and want to gamble on something that might help, try Proxiphen. There is one case on another forum where a poster tried it after he quit finasteride due to the same reason as yourself and has maintained now for about 5 years on just Proxiphen.

RhinestoneHLT

Established Member
Reaction score
If you have the money and want to gamble on something that might help, try Proxiphen. There is one case on another forum where a poster tried it after he quit finasteride due to the same reason as yourself and has maintained now for about 5 years on just Proxiphen.

Thanks I'll definitely give it a shot along with resuming Tricomin (was costly) if my hair gets worse. Honestly though I think CONSISTENT use of liquid minoxidil is hugely underrated. sh*t has kept me under NW3 for a decade. My brother is full NW5 at 25, I'm NW2.5 and older lol.

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
yes finasteride is not safe for sure .
But for what it worth, each time i stop , i only need one month to solve my ED .
And all my blood value come back to normal .

But dutasteride is way worse .
@RhinestoneHLT ; you use minoxidil to your whole scalp ?

RhinestoneHLT

Established Member
Reaction score
yes finasteride is not safe for sure .
But for what it worth, each time i stop , i only need one month to solve my ED .
And all my blood value come back to normal .

But dutasteride is way worse .
@RhinestoneHLT ; you use minoxidil to your whole scalp ?

I use it once a night but I use 3-4ml on my entire scalp yes, I've never missed a single application in 9 years.

sunchyme1

My Regimen
Reaction score
I use it once a night but I use 3-4ml on my entire scalp yes, I've never missed a single application in 9 years.

you never tried the foam?

sh*t dries in 5 mins

liquid drove me nuts. too much flaking and too long to dry

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Thanks I'll definitely give it a shot along with resuming Tricomin (was costly) if my hair gets worse. Honestly though I think CONSISTENT use of liquid minoxidil is hugely underrated. sh*t has kept me under NW3 for a decade. My brother is full NW5 at 25, I'm NW2.5 and older lol.
I do believe minoxidil can be effective for some but not for aggressive hair loss suffers. The problem with treating hair loss is you don't know really how well you would do if you would have never used treatments. I really believe those who stay above baseline on minoxidil alone are just balding at a snail's pace. I do good with minoxidil but I get sides so I can understand why you can't use finasteride.

RhinestoneHLT

Established Member
Reaction score
you never tried the foam?

sh*t dries in 5 mins

liquid drove me nuts. too much flaking and too long to dry

I did use the foam for 7 months and lost ground. Then back to liquid, flaking was awful and the itch too for me for the first 6 months, even with nizoral. Then it just suddenly stopped, no idea why. Maybe scalp got used to it.

Dr Bernstein told me a few years ago also in NYC that he thinks foam is near useless. He's seen good results only on the liquid. My experience also. The PG is vital for getting it to the follicle.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I did use the foam for 7 months and lost ground. Then back to liquid, flaking was awful and the itch too for me for the first 6 months, even with nizoral. Then it just suddenly stopped, no idea why. Maybe scalp got used to it.

Dr Bernstein told me a few years ago also in NYC that he thinks foam is near useless. He's seen good results only on the liquid. My experience also. The PH is vital for getting it to the follicle.
The liquid might penetrate the scalp better than the foam and you get more minoxidil on the scalp than the foam so its understandable that the liquid might show better results. Minoxidil is dose dependent too.

dr75

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is not a new study. It has been discussed here before.