Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
yet again mice conspiracy all over it

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Lol this has been discussed before this guy was taking a JAK orally and not topically. Christiano said that topical would be the only way cause a higher amount of JAK would need to hit the hair follicle in Androgenetic Alopecia

Cope

Just considering their method of action alone, it's ridiculous to put any sort of stock in JAK doing anything for Androgenetic Alopecia no matter how it's delivered.

InBeforeTheCure

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Cool. Here's the full study: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3ya4hu9n0av0day/10.1016@j.cell.2017.05.002.pdf?dl=0

There could be implications for alopecia areata:

Hair follicles
are highly specialized organelles that are in a perpetual state of
growth and regeneration. In addition to Tregs, a major epithelial
stem cell (SC) population localizes to HFs (HFSCs) (Blanpain and
Fuchs, 2009). These cells play an indispensable role in HF regeneration
and repair of the epidermal barrier after injury (Ito et al.,
2005). Interestingly, several studies link Tregs with HF biology.
Genome-wide association studies in alopecia areata (AA), a disorder
of HF regeneration, have revealed single nucleotide polymorphisms
in genes involved in the differentiation and function
of Tregs, including interleukin (IL)-2, the high-affinity IL-2 receptor
alpha (CD25), CTLA-4, Eos (IKZF4), and Foxp3 (Petukhova
et al., 2010). In addition, pharmacologic augmentation of Tregs
in humans with low-dose IL-2 was highly efficacious in treating
AA (Castela et al., 2014). Despite these associations, a functional
link between Tregs and HFs has yet to be established.

NewUser

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Jaks won't be usefull for us

Neither is chemical castration by finasteride a cure. Bald eunuchs are still bald.

Geneticists say male pattern baldness is likely a polygenic disorder. Lots of males with excellent hair and follicles tolerant of the same high levels of dht found in male pattern baldness. Robert Hoffman of Anticancer is yet another researcher whi thinks it could be possible to jump start hair growth regardless of dht sensitivity which could be one of multiple causes or perhaps just one of several symptoms of pattern baldness. Jaks are definitely hair growth stimulants either way.

The amazing thing about that patient previously totally bald from AA is that oral jaks restored quite a lot of hair including in the male pattern baldness areas of his scalp. It would be interesting to see results for topical Jakinibs in his frontal recession areas. Christiano said mice skin is a lot thinner than human scalp, and so a special delivery vehicle will have to be formulated so that jakinibs will penetrate scalp dermis and fat layers and remain at the depth of human HF for longer than a few minutes at a time.

Last edited:

paleocapa89

Established Member
Reaction score
I kinda got the feeling lately that we got to a point in understanding the human body (and hairloss mechanism) where development has slowed down. It seems like the body is a vastly complex ecosystem where everything is connected with everything.

In my understanding the way science is conducted is focusing on some small thing (like a gene or a receptor or something) and messing with it possibly with every other stuff unchanged (ceteris paribus) and looking at the outcome.

It's like if a software engineer would look at a huge *** software code and changed/deleted a small part of it and recorded the outcome. Maybe it would cause nothing visible, maybe something, maybe it would only have an effect if some other variable changed as well. But it would be a painfully slow process to try to understand the whole code with this method.

Maybe what I'm trying to say is scientists need to adapt a more holistic view, or take lessons in system design or software engineering or something. Anyway it's just my layman opinion.

NewUser

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I wish there were shortcuts in science, but there aren't.

Last edited:

abcdefg

Reaction score
I kinda got the feeling lately that we got to a point in understanding the human body (and hairloss mechanism) where development has slowed down. It seems like the body is a vastly complex ecosystem where everything is connected with everything.

In my understanding the way science is conducted is focusing on some small thing (like a gene or a receptor or something) and messing with it possibly with every other stuff unchanged (ceteris paribus) and looking at the outcome.

It's like if a software engineer would look at a huge *** software code and changed/deleted a small part of it and recorded the outcome. Maybe it would cause nothing visible, maybe something, maybe it would only have an effect if some other variable changed as well. But it would be a painfully slow process to try to understand the whole code with this method.

Maybe what I'm trying to say is scientists need to adapt a more holistic view, or take lessons in system design or software engineering or something. Anyway it's just my layman opinion.

It is like this, but the problem is what other way is there to do it? Its not software, and doesnt work like that. It really is mostly guessing because there is no exact way to figure out how unknown things will work or predict them

paleocapa89

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm just tired to read every half a year a new study where scientist "find" the cause of hairloss by identifying 1 protein or 1 gene or 1 something . Which translates to nothing in real life. Hairloss is obviously a multifactoral disease and looking at 1 piece at a time of the whole puzzle might lead to missing the big picture.

NewUser

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Cope

Just considering their method of action alone, it's ridiculous to put any sort of stock in JAK doing anything for Androgenetic Alopecia no matter how it's delivered.

... like DHT inhibitors (and castration) do zip to re-grow hair? If "DHT sensitivity" stops HF from growing, then ultimately it must be turning on or off certain genes or transcriptions affecting HF. The word 'sensitivity' alone means jack to geneticists working the problem.

And while some scoff at mice models for studying human hair biology, the same ppl will tell us if a topical works on mice, then why not whip up the same batch in a lab and expect it to penetrate human scalp similarly? That's not what Christiano and Jahoda have said about jakinibs, tho.

Last edited:

NewUser

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm just tired to read every half a year a new study where scientist "find" the cause of hairloss by identifying 1 protein or 1 gene or 1 something . Which translates to nothing in real life. Hairloss is obviously a multifactoral disease and looking at 1 piece at a time of the whole puzzle might lead to missing the big picture.

Robert Hoffman of Anticancer Inc said something similar. He thinks the solution to male pattern baldness might not have to be perfect so long as jt works. I think understandinG the genetics of male pattern baldness will lead to an imperfect but effective solution. And because HF are now viewed as the easiest to access miniature organs, the cheapest fix will eventually be a cheap, OTC topical cream or ointment.

H

Reaction score
Robert Hoffman of Anticancer Inc said something similar. He thinks the solution to male pattern baldness might not have to be perfect so long as jt works. I think understandinG the genetics of male pattern baldness will lead to an imperfect but effective solution. And because HF are now viewed as the easiest to access miniature organs, the cheapest fix will eventually be a cheap, OTC topical cream or ointment.
Hey there again long time no see I have a question what is your preferred definition when you mention "effective solution"?

NewUser

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hey there again long time no see I have a question what is your preferred definition when you mention "effective solution"?

Something that will grow hair in cosmetically significant amounts.

H

Reaction score
Something that will grow hair in cosmetically significant amounts.
So I'll spray or rub in/apply a topical substance "solution" and it will supposedly even if im slick nw7 give me back my hair thick enough where the male pattern baldness pattern is unrecognizable correct?

NewUser

Experienced Member
Reaction score
That would be an ideal solution better than imperfect. Until the science is done no one can possibly know.

In addition to this oral formulation of the JAK 1/3 inhibitor, Aclaris also plans to develop a topical formulation, known as ATI-50002, for the treatment of AA, vitiligo, and androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia). Specifically, Aclaris plans to: ...

Phase 2 dose ranging trial for ATI-50002 second half of 2017.

Last edited:

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Jaks won't be usefull for us
tofacitinib-areata-androgenetic.jpg

That right there is solid evidence that it cures Alopecia Areata but not Androgenic Alopecia.

Another loss for male pattern baldness.

NewUser

Experienced Member
Reaction score
There are. Just test on humans instead of mice.

It's more complicated than whipping up a batch of cream and testing on humans without medical sanction. Things are different when one has "skin in the game" so to speak.

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's more complicated than whipping up a batch of cream and testing on humans without medical sanction. Things are different when one has "skin in the game" so to speak.

Which is why I'm surprised Chinese scientists haven't come up with the cure yet. They seem to have or can get the technological resources and limited compunction about human testing.