New guy and his story

albionlad

Reaction score
Hi everyone

This is my first time writing on a hair loss forum, I fancied writing out my story for anyone who's interested in reading it. I have a little bit of a story to tell and writing it out will make me feel better :)

I'm am a 22 year old male, about to turn 23. I have had my hair grown out long since I was 15 and been known for my hair as part of my image for some time. When I was 16 I was crazy about dying it different colours, usually black with sections of purple, red etc.. I was dying it almost more than once a month and as a result suffered a crazy shed where I lost 1/3 of my hair all over, lucky it grew back to it's fullness 6 months after stopping the hair dye. I also suffered one spot of alopecia areata 2 years later which lasted a couple of months.

The shock of these events made me incredibly OCD about my hair - I got into a habit of counting my hairs along my hairline in the mirror to the point I could remember each one, and also parted my hair in different sections in the mirror so I could monitor the thickness in the parting - it really became a depressive problem to me that no-one else could see.

I've always had a high forehead so I guess I started out at Norwood 2 but with moderately thick density and relatively course wavy medium brown. Girls love/d messing with it and pulling on it if you know what I mean ;) for this reason I can't stand to lose my hair.

About 2 months ago I had a burning scalp on the top of my head which I think was due to over using anti-dandruff shampoo, which has now subsided. But since then I noticed I was shedding hairs about 4-6 inches long with a tapered end, not good news. Even so I am noticing a lot on thinning in the corners, and the mid-front seems slightly more see through than usual. My family think I am insane for worrying about this but due to my highly analytic nature over the years I know the difference in my hair now.

I am about to start Propecia this week in the attempts to reverse this process and hang on to what I have before it becomes socially noticeable, hopefully. I'll see how I get on for 6 months and add something else if I need to.

Has anyone here taken just Propcecia and been able to thicken up their original hairline, or reverse miniaturisation along the top?

Thanks for reading

Edit: Baseline pictures taken. The corners have gone back a little, but there are velus hairs where there used to be terminal ones so I hope to do something with them. The middle of my hairline hasn't moved, just thinner. I've also taken a middle parting picture as I feel it isn't as dense as before, more light shows through and I can see miniaturising hairs standing up, especially in the mid front. The pictures are taken by a window and also under light.

SAM_0541.JPGSAM_0542.JPGSAM_05401.jpg

Update 11th Oct

So this is my one month update, still it is early days so any comments and help would be appreciated. Sometimes it's easy to get impatient and think about trying other things but I really need to give this Finasteride some time on it's own. I had a lot of hair on my hands in the shower on the first week of treatment, I still shed a lot of hair but then again maybe I always have done. There are tiny hairs near my highest crease, my objective really is to see things strengthen up. Albeit the photos are slightly different lighting and angle but you get the idea.

right11oct.jpgmiddle11oct.jpgleft11oct.jpg

theonelink

Reaction score
Hi everyone

This is my first time writing on a hair loss forum, I fancied writing out my story for anyone who's interested in reading it. I have a little bit of a story to tell and writing it out will make me feel better :)

I'm am a 22 year old male, about to turn 23. I have had my hair grown out long since I was 15 and been known for my hair as part of my image for some time. When I was 16 I was crazy about dying it different colours, usually black with sections of purple, red etc.. I was dying it almost more than once a month and as a result suffered a crazy shed where I lost 1/3 of my hair all over, lucky it grew back to it's fullness 6 months after stopping the hair dye. I also suffered one spot of alopecia areata 2 years later which lasted a couple of months.

The shock of these events made me incredibly OCD about my hair - I got into a habit of counting my hairs along my hairline in the mirror to the point I could remember each one, and also parted my hair in different sections in the mirror so I could monitor the thickness in the parting - it really became a depressive problem to me that no-one else could see.

I've always had a high forehead so I guess I started out at Norwood 2 but with moderately thick density and relatively course wavy medium brown. Girls love/d messing with it and pulling on it if you know what I mean ;) for this reason I can't stand to lose my hair.

About 2 months ago I had a burning scalp on the top of my head which I think was due to over using anti-dandruff shampoo, which has now subsided. But since then I noticed I was shedding hairs about 4-6 inches long with a tapered end, not good news. Even so I am noticing a lot on thinning in the corners, and the mid-front seems slightly more see through than usual. My family think I am insane for worrying about this but due to my highly analytic nature over the years I know the difference in my hair now.

I am about to start Propecia this week in the attempts to reverse this process and hang on to what I have before it becomes socially noticeable, hopefully. I'll see how I get on for 6 months and add something else if I need to.

Has anyone here taken just Propcecia and been able to thicken up their original hairline, or reverse miniaturisation along the top?

Thanks for reading

You sound just like me, had long hair since 16 that I used to dye etc, I'm 23 in 2 weeks too!

My hair started falling out last year, I jumped on propecia immediately. You prob won't want to hear this, but I had a 7 month long shed where I receded a bit and lost a lot of density on top. Worst 7 months of my life. Thankfully, things seem to be looking up now. I'm about to finish month 10 on propecia and I'm experiencing regrowth along my hairline, especially at one corner. More and more hairs just keep coming in!

Here's a breakdown of my propecia experience:
First 7 months were horrendous, month 8 shed stopped completely, month 9 - 10 terminal hairs coming in at the hairline.

As you see it took a long time for the medication to produce results. Give it longer than 6 months to evaluate it... they say your best results are at the 2 year mark

- - - Updated - - -

also don't listen to your family, mine are the same. You know your hair better than anyone

mr.patches

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you read my story man, I'm also on a finasteride only regimen. I've been doing good so far. A good advice for starters: Take the pill before you sleep, that way you won't psyche about the effects. Also, post pictures and keep the community updated. Best of luck!

albionlad

Reaction score
Hey guys thanks for replying

Accepting that I had miniaturising hairs falling out was a very depressing experence, I am sort of feeling better about it knowing there are at least some things I can do to be pro-active and hopefully keep things looking good for a bit longer.

I read a story on here from Nickypoo who had great success on .5mg Dutasteride so I might switch to that if Propecia doesn't work for me. I'd like to avoid Minoxidil if I can.

theonelink, hopefully your seven month shed was a mix of what might have happened anyway, mixed with an initial shed that will hopefully all regrow as stronger hairs for you

thank you mr.patches I will do just that!

Raz

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you're sure you're receeding little by little and want to maintain or regrow modestly; finasteride-only sounds good. Of course, adding Nizoral would be good for your scalp (if that is no longer a problem, what with reading about your scalp burnage? And also assuming said anti-dandruff shampoo wasn't Nizoral to begin with).

I can definitely relate with hair being a bigger part of one's image and identity, though. Hang in there man.

albionlad

Reaction score
Hey Raz, I will also get some Nizoral as I've always suffered itchyness and dandruff!

I start Propecia tomorrow and have uploaded some baseline pictures to the first page.

GodisnotBald

Reaction score
Hey man,

I think you've done the right thing starting Finasteride so as to conserve what you have now if you faced noticable changes ; however, you've got amazing hair and density everybody here could be potentially jealous of your situation :punk:

albionlad

Reaction score
Thanks dude, those are nice words, but the fact remains that this is happening - I am shedding a whole lot of hairs the past 3 months, a lot of which are narrower and/or have tapered ends. I officially started finasteride today, feels good to be productive about it, whereas a couple of weeks ago I was really down in the dumps. Who knows, my hair could still get very bad but this is why I am writing as I go along to share my experience as and when. My family history is too varied, so I didn't want to gamble! Also I have bought Nizoral, so I guess you could say I'm on 2 of the big 3!

albionlad

Reaction score
Day 5 on the treatment and I am shedding a lot of hair, I ran my hand over my hair in the shower this morning and a few come off on my hand... Shook my head over the sink and loads come out. Some good ones some miniaturised ones. Is this a good sign? :/

albionlad

Reaction score
Hey guys, rather than make a new thread on the Shedding section I just thought I would ask here for some advice from long term Propecia users who started treatment when they still had a lot of ground, if it's normal to shed a lot of hair on your first couple of weeks?

When I wash my hair I do two lathers and each time there are like 10-15 hairs, then when I towel my hair I notice and have roughly counted about 30... Run my hands through my hair to apply leave in conditioner/thickening cream before I blow dry it, and notice about 15-20 on my hands then too, I wash my hair every day or every other day.. At the moment I can style my hair and it not look socially noticeable but this isn't a nice feeling to go through! Does it mean anything?

albionlad

Reaction score
So I am a couple days off a month since starting Finasteride, just wanted to give an update and insight to those wanting to start really. I'll take some pictures when it has been a month.

I was suffering a reduced libido before starting due to anxiety, so it is hard for me to say if it impacted my sex drive. I noticed at first watery semen and continued low libido. However, I did some reading and decided to start a capsule or two a day of 400 IU Vitamin D3 which I feel has helped - a couple of days later I was like "waa-hey" lol

I try not to think about shedding, as it's hard to give myself perceptive about how much hair I shed now compared to how much I shed before treatment. I think I remember always remember being a heavy shedder naturally but then again I've nearly always had long hair so each hair is noticeable. As I say, it's subjective and I try not to think about it.

I had my hair cut and my hairdresser didn't make any negative comments about my hair, which I suppose can be a good thing. I employ a few styling techniques to make my hair look better, such as applying thickening cream before blow drying it, which basically swells the hair strands since they are hydrophillic.

bernie12345b

Reaction score
Heys guys I'm shedding like crazy on finasteride I'm taking it 2 months now is it OK should I continue

- - - Updated - - -

Heys guys I'm shedding like crazy on finasteride I'm taking it 2 months now is it OK should I continue

albionlad

Reaction score
Bernie, keep at it, the first couple of days on finasteride when I ran the palm of my hand over my hair to rinse the shampoo out I was absolutely horrified at how many hairs simply came out. I still shed hairs now one month in. My advice is to keep at it and take no notice overwise it will just get you down

Today I have ordered some 5% min + 5% azelaic acid, I don't intend to use it just yet as I want to give finasteride a fair crack of the whip on it's own, but at least if my hairline takes a drastic turn for the worse the little bottle will be on my shelf ready to use

Reactions: Raz

albionlad

Reaction score
Not really an update, just me putting my thoughts out on here, I consider it like a diary.

Earlier this month I went out on the night for my birthday. The girl I had been seeing over the summer was there, and she was very much all over me. But one thing that got to me a little bit, that she was talking to her friend in front of me about bald guys, and said "you want something you can ruffle up" before ruffling my hair.. later on that night when it was just us two she joked "I want to see what you would look like bald" and slicked my hair back off my face... I could see it was only light hearted fun, but for someone so insecure about his hair this was a bit unsettling. It also shows how much emphasis young women put on a guy's hair. Unfortunately I am not seeing this girl any more, she is hung up about her ex and said sorry - shame because I really liked her a lot.

But it sort of makes me think about how hair impacts your chances with women..

As for my hair, I will take new pictures at the 2 month mark. Sometimes I feel good about my hair line, after much inspecting in the mirror, and other days I feel doom and gloom about the whole situation.. I see little black hairs in my hairline but I'm not sure if they are new or miniaturising ones that were damaged from before I started finasteride. It's tempting to try the minoxidil-azelaic acid on my corners; but I am scared of the shed, I want to give finasteride some time to work, and it's another lifelong regimen that may not be needed if finasteride helps me out.

Side effects up to this point, not much really. I don't get aroused much in the week due to being tired from work - I just go to sleep. However on the weekends my willeh very much works, maybe even better than the period before I started taking finasteride when I was more depressed. Volume of sperm seems good, touch wood. (har har)

albionlad

Reaction score
Update 5th Nov

Ok maybe it's a little early, but I thought I would make an update. Last week I added 5% min/ 5% Azelaic acid to my hairline corners only, I hope to strengthen the hairs there. I use it once a day, and probably less than .25ml application. It doesn't smell that bad, and not really itchy at all, it makes a nice tingling feeling aha. Perhaps it's the brand I have. It's been about 2 months on Finasteride now. I would say my libido and erections are better now than before I started; when I was really struggling with anxiety and feeling down. I was seeing a girl who was messing with my head that didn't help things, now she has replaced me for someone else, which doesn't help my insecurities... No man boobs, no decrease in my performance at sporting activities.

Anyway, how I feel about my hair changes by the day, but here are the pictures. My hair is a little greasy here, sorry!

left05nov.jpgmiddle05nov.jpgright05nov.jpg

MoHairMoBetta

Established Member
Reaction score
You have great hair. I personally wouldn't bother with Minoxidil unless you still aren't happy after 6+ months of finasteride.

Honestly though, I'd do terrible things to have hair like that again.

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
I haven't read all the posts in this thread but based on the pics you posted, I would say your hair loss is cured or you had very little to begin with. It looks like you have a full head of hair and you even posted pics with wet hair and still no signs of thinning.

albionlad

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I appreciate the support

I've recently had a week or so about feeling good about myself, but I have these relapses into depressive moods about my hair... As I said before I had a hair shed when I started finasteride, still shed quite a few hairs but what I find alarming is that I find ones with tapered ends still, sometimes from the back of my head too, which I bizarrely find justifying. Sometimes I swear my middle front is getting a bit thinner, but on the plus side I think the min/Azelaic acid is doing a little bit of good in the corners, will take new pics in a couple of weeks