New Dermaroller Study; Thoughts, comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peacemaker

Banned
Reaction score
View attachment 23808View attachment 23809

Heres some om epics from my ipad I took just for everyone. You may not be able to see it, but I grew back entire hairline, small hairs everywhere, I may get banned soon who knows with this forum. This is after 10 weeks, was slick bald, now full of hairs half 1 centimeter, black hairs, I stopped week 10 to give hair chance to grow, now using violet ray. Took 2000-6000 mg of msm and vitamin c daily. No minoxidil

Hey man, can you explain your reasoning behind the msm intake? Thanks!

Kirby

Established Member
Reaction score

Neither photo is slick bald. So he either wasn't ever slick bald... or they are not before and after pictures.

The before/after "evidence" for DRing has been universally terrible on forums. There has been no real convincing user reports based on photographic evidence. People saying "it works because I say it does" isn't enough as objective proof.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Most here will probably agree that the amount of clear evidence reported , concerning DRing's actual effectiveness is bluntly scant Realistically my own hair loss is quite advanced . That said I will remain cautiously optimistic. The degree of my hair loss may even be to our advantage educationally insofar that any gains should be easily detectable. Staying positive!

benjt

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I.D WALKER, as you have been on minoxidil for a while you have the best conditions for running some good trials. Please document your state well (frequent photos at equal lighting and angles) and please, under no circumstances, change your regimen. This is the one grave mistake most people that claim progress have made, thus making it impossible to assess if DRing had any positive effect at all and thus making their results completely useless.
Is your hair buzzed?

GoodToBeRich

Reaction score
Just a check-in. I will continue to support anything I claim with my baseline pics regardless of progress.

Left is October, right is current. I've posted more significant progress before. May be related to shedding, but I'm not getting into that. :p

10-17 and 01-23.jpg10-17 and 01-23a.jpg

GoodToBeRich

Reaction score
Why did you change the way you took the picture? Why is the left picture taken with no flash and the second is?

Fred, I respect your passion for this site, but I'm sure you understand that it is difficult to satisfy the rigid standards of photography that the users of this forum seem to demand. These photos were all taken with a flash. I promise you there's no trickery here. Just my smartphone.

- - - Updated - - -

This is kind of what I was talking about earlier. I think this study has been compromised. I believe there are countless people following this thread that are conducting their own study, and are afraid to share their own, even very moderate, results because any time anyone shares anything remotely positive on this site, it is immediately attacked. I have, without prejudice, shared my results several times on this site, and have always been questioned. This is not a productive forum.

Last edited:

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
+1

Oh Yea?

Established Member
Reaction score
I did get vellus regrowth on my head frm derma rolling nothing a phone would take pics of...i had been using minoxidil 5% for atleast a year twice a day and didnt get these vellus hairs especially on the temples and the crown...half way through derma rlling study i began adding minoxidil directly after rolling...and at the end of the study i added 1mg dr reddys finasteride....i ts now been a month of taking that...ive kept the vellus hairs and now im gona see if blocking the receptor sites if tbe hairs will mature.i did take pics before starting d rolling but i had been on the minoxidil for a year religiously.. i am a norwood 5/6 extreme diffuse thinning. Hopefully in three months ill have visible cosmetic progress to show..and i havent put my before pix up yet because i dont know how to send from my droid so I'll wait for two more months then try to upload from computer

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Thanx. OY! Consistent documentation is in everybody's best interest. Best Wishes!

opti

Established Member
Reaction score
I can just say it again , DRing didnt do much for me .For those where it creates results ,keep going.
I got some really thick dark hair which are curled(i never seen that ,but it sux a bit though).But for those hairs i d say i traded like 5 smaller blonde hair for 1 black thick hair.Density has really went down on my forehead

LayZ

Reaction score
I can just say it again , DRing didnt do much for me .For those where it creates results ,keep going.
I got some really thick dark hair which are curled(i never seen that ,but it sux a bit though).But for those hairs i d say i traded like 5 smaller blonde hair for 1 black thick hair.Density has really went down on my forehead

Going from memory here, so if I'm wrong I hope someone will jump in and correct me.

The change in texture of the terminal hair that you're experiencing is referred to as "dystrophic" regrowth. In chemo or areata patients it's a fairly common occurrence when the anagen phase kicks back in or is induced via treatment. It is generally considered a positive and, in most cases, resolves itself in subsequent hair cycles.

As far as the finer lighter hair falling out, I saw the same just doing daily aggressive scalp massages. Scalp is now in great shape compared to when I began and existing terminal hair appears to be growing faster and stronger. But the weak hair is gone. All of it... I believe there's an increase in vellous growth, which is of no cosmetic value what so ever.

Held off on trying the rolling. Still don't know what to make of it...

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Conceptually, Botox “loosens” the scalp, reducing pressure on the perforating vasculature, thereby increasing blood flow and oxygen concentration.
this was a study in 2010
Treatment of Male Pattern Baldness with Botulinum Toxin: A Pilot Study

http://journals.lww.com/plasreconsu...Male_Pattern_Baldness_with_Botulinum.79.aspx#

But they don't talk about botox and its effect on arrector pili muscle that in a normal state squeeze the sebaceous gland and drain out the sebum

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0190962204005560

OTOH BeliefYSKEY return soon, you are a good guy, as Benjt....

Sparky4444

Reaction score
I am pleased with my crown but those vellus hairs on my temples seem to have stalled. I think it will take months to see any more improvement on them. Overall I am happy though because since starting the dermaroller I have a thicker crown and am only losing about 20 hairs per day. At least I can say my temples are not getting any worse.

I think I am on this trajectory as well...

..tip -- if you wanna see if you have any fuzz coming temple-wise, try Toppik or Nanogen fibres on then to try and expose something...

closetmetrosexual

Established Member
Reaction score
I realize its probably been discussed but after rolling with a 1.5 mm roller, for approximately how long does it increase absorption of topicals? I'm talking about a medium intensity roll session, not too hard but not too light either.

The only figure I've read is 'a few hours'.
So, probably not 24 hours.

theRA

Established Member
Reaction score
I will be doing my 12th roll tomorrow, after this I am going to start rolling every 2 weeks.
I am pleased with my crown but those vellus hairs on my temples seem to have stalled. I think it will take months to see any more improvement on them. Overall I am happy though because since starting the dermaroller I have a thicker crown and am only losing about 20 hairs per day. At least I can say my temples are not getting any worse.

I had the very same results as you, on my 14the roll now

bushbush

Established Member
Reaction score
There are 2 concrete studies on male pattern baldness which demonstrate/conclude that disruption of blood flow is, without a doubt, the main culprit (CLEARLY, NO DEBATING.) and even though I wasn't going to include this before, there is also EVIDENCE supporting minoxidil growing hair via increased blood flow. If you are interested in the studies just look at my previous posts.

benjt said:
I want to see this evidence please. And don't tell me to look at your old posts, there are 100 of them. If you have evidence, just show it.

BeliefISKEY said:
I've never posted anybody that evidence before but I have seen it and will gladly post it for you if you want. I will come back to this corrupted forum again in a week or two and will PM you or something. There forum is clearly a waste if time now that the main contributors are gone.

Nicely evaded,
BeliefISKEY.

Unfixable

Reaction score
I decided to start my dermarolling experiment today also. Used 1.5mm dermastamp (longer hair) and didn't have numbing creme cause my pharmacy told me lidocaine is prescription only.
Anyway, it hurt a lot but I still stabbed in as deep as possible i think (Just a guess though).
I took a hot shower and then applied some betadine and washed it off right before stamping (Is that fine?).
I put some ethanol (80%) in a glass and let the stamp soak in it for 20min before using it.
After I finished I washed it with some dishwashing solution in warm water and put it in ethanol for 30min again before returning it to its case.
Some specks of blood and lot of reddening. I will add pics so maybe some experienced people can comment.

Another thing I wasnt quite sure was how many times to stamp one specific part of the skin. I read that 4-6 times on the same area is
good so I stamped 6 times in different angles at specific areas that I wanted to treat.
If you guys see any mistakes in my approach please let me know. Until next time I will try to get some numbing creme or spray.
I specifically asked for 5% Lidocaine cream maybe lower percentage is accesible over the counter in my country..

2014-02-10 21.37.45.jpg2014-02-10 21.38.14.jpg2014-02-10 21.38.31.jpg

buddyebsen1

Reaction score
I am doing nearly the same method but I do stamp until I get more bleeding. Not copious amounts that will drip but slightly more than pinpricks. Light bleeding all over. I then shampoo a second time and all blood is gone and the scalp only just looks slightly red. There are some small scabs that form and are slightly visible the next day but gone the day after. I stamp every 10 - 14 days.

I have been waiting and will provide a full report in the next month or so but I will say that I have been trying to halt or reverse my hairloss for over 35 years (I am 56) and at this point I can say that dermarolling (dermastamping) has provided me with the best results I have experienced. Only the first year on finasteride comes anywhere close (other methods I've tried were posted earlier in this thread). Needless to say, I am cautiously optimistic for continued results.

Status
Not open for further replies.