New Dermaroller Study; Thoughts, comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hairregrowth21

Established Member
Reaction score
I read some thing about people using KGF or planning to use KGF after DRing? Did anyone use it ?

One of the arguments was that KGF can penetrate better due to DRing and the environment that comes into picture post DRing can be made more conducive for growth by using KGF.

SUPPORTING STUDY:

Keratinocyte growth factor is an important endogenous mediator of hair follicle growth, development, and differentiation. Normalization of the nu/nu follicular differentiation defect and amelioration of chemotherapy-induced alopecia.

D. M. Danilenko, B. D. Ring, D. Yanagihara, W. Benson, B. Wiemann, C. O. Starnes, and G. F. Pierce

Author information ► Copyright and License information ►

This article has been cited by other articles in PMC.

Abstract

The growth and development of hair follicles is influenced by a number of different growth factors and cytokines, particularly members of the fibroblast growth factor (FGF) family. Keratinocyte growth factor (KGF or FGF-7) is a recently identified 28-kd member of the FGF family that induces proliferation of a wide variety of epithelial cells, including keratinocytes within the epidermis and dermal adnexa. Because KGF induces marked proliferation of keratinocytes, and both KGF and KGF receptor (KGFR) mRNA are expressed at high levels in skin, we sought to localize KGF and KGFR in skin by in situ hybridization. KGFR mRNA was relatively strongly expressed by keratinocytes in the basilar epidermis as well as throughout developing hair follicles of rat embryos and neonates. KGF mRNA was expressed at lower levels than was KGFR but could be localized to follicular dermal papillae in rat embryos and neonates. These results prompted us to investigate the effects of KGF on hair follicles in two distinct murine models of alopecia. In the first model, recombinant KGF (rKGF) induced dose-dependent hair growth over most of the body in nu/nu athymic nude mice when administered intraperitoneally or subcutaneously over 17 to 18 days. When administered subcutaneously, rKGF induced the most extensive hair growth at the sites of injection. Histologically, rKGF induced marked follicular and sebaceous gland hypertrophy, a normalization of the nu/nu follicular keratinization defect, and an increase in follicular keratinocyte proliferation as assessed by bromodeoxyuridine labeling. In the second model, a neonatal rat model of cytosine arabinoside chemotherapy-induced alopecia in which interleukin-1, epidermal growth factor, and acidic FGF have all demonstrated some degree of alopecia cytoprotection, rKGF induced a dose-dependent cytoprotective effect, abrogating as much as 50% of the alopecia in this model when administered beginning 1 day before the onset of chemotherapy. Taken together, these data suggest that KGF is an important endogenous mediator of normal hair follicle growth, development, and differentiation.

I added it about a month and a half ago into some cetaphil with MSM, B-12, Curcumin and most recently, garlic.

Still too early to tell for sure but I'm sure it's playing a role.

The one thing I noticed is that it says not to shake the bottle any more than 3-4 times after it's been mixed or else it will lose its potency. This would suggest that you would need to add any complementary items first and then add the KGF second, only mixing lightly and remembering not to shake before daily use.

As far as Squeegee, his informative contributions and insight will be missed. Maybe he will resurface here or elsewhere on another forum in a more controlled state one day so that he can keep fighting the battle with us. If you're reading this- thank you for your contributions, you will be missed here.

Donc83

Established Member
Reaction score
Dermarolling does not work for me. Too much BS to do and no results. I have been doing it for 14 weeks and nothing. Looks like I lost more hair. That is the honest truth. We need some good treatments out here.

ChrisW1980uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
That's a little harsh man.... Don't you think you can MAYBE work something out? Maybe a 0 tolerance rule with him (as well as all of us) He knows you guys mean business now. Something you may want to consider perhaps in the near future/future.

Harsh? The abuse he happily doled out was unacceptable. He was warned about it but chose to continue. He then decided after my comments to get snarky with another mod ( Quantum Cat). He felt that his useful posts gave him free reign to be a pompous and abusive bully. It doesn't work like that. As I have said he is perma banned and I have NO intention of lifting that ban. To be honest, if these calls for reinstatement continue, this thread will be locked. I don't like banning people but this was justified and fair. He was given far too much leeway, and should have been banned sooner.

saintsfan92344

Established Member
Reaction score
Dermarolling does not work for me. Too much BS to do and no results. I have been doing it for 14 weeks and nothing. Looks like I lost more hair. That is the honest truth. We need some good treatments out here.

What else Is in your regimen? do us a favor and report back in a couple months, a few of us on here have a theory that you wont really see the full effects of rolling till you stop for a while

Youcandoit

Established Member
Reaction score
Squeegee was the number 1 reason this thread was so huge and the reason many people will grow hair. I too am gone he was main one studying and posting results, everybody's method was important.

Well I grew back all my hair at juvenile hairline pretty much hairs about half a centimeter and black, at this point don't know if I will continue rolling every week, maybe twice a week now and just use the new violet ray I ordered which should revitalize follicles and maintain growth, that and scalp massages.

BeliefISKEY

Established Member
Reaction score
Squeegee was the number 1 reason this thread was so huge and the reason many people will grow hair. I too am gone he was main one studying and posting results, everybody's method was important.

Well I grew back all my hair at juvenile hairline pretty much hairs about half a centimeter and black, at this point don't know if I will continue rolling every week, maybe twice a week now and just use the new violet ray I ordered which should revitalize follicles and maintain growth, that and scalp massages.

Send me a PM... Let's connect bro.

Youcandoit

Established Member
Reaction score

Im not sure if I will leave, it will benefit people if I stay and that is my wish. And inbox me whatever you'd like. Reason I was thinking about leaving is because I have a feeling the people with negative outlooks on dermarolling will take over and the end result will be people saying this is just another hopeless method.

It is not because I have regrown hundred if not thousands of hairs on my temples. After every treatment I noticed it getting thicker, took about 8 sessions to see the hairs start growing a bit. About week 6 I noticed the hairs first poking through. This is not hard to understand people, there are countless proofs of people growing hairs around scars. Dermarolling is inducing hair growth using natural body's healing process. Your body is a machine and only knows how to repair itself using the dna template you were born with. It will only create what is necessary in high dosages when you are wounded.

Guess where the healing actually comes from? It comes from the actual hair follicle glands. Where new epethelial stem cells are released and form the new surface of wound. Epethelial cells are also responsible for continual regeneration of hair follicles. This is all proven science. Many of you who offered so much doubt is arguing with science, too bad people will feed on that.

You may not realize it yet, but your thoughts and feelings effect your life, which effects your hair follicles. It's just as important to realize your thoughts carry energy, this is something you have to discover on your own, you will get no proof, this is the same way hypnosis works. There is no reason I can prove my state of mind is what is making this work, and anyways does being a hater amount to anything?

The motivation you need to have in this dermarolling is......

Knowing actual science supports this and it has been proven to produce hundreds of new hairs(please do not comment about saying it has not been proven to regrow a full head of hair, that is what the purpose of this forum thread is to provide that answer. I believe this is the longest people with hair loss have tried this so this thread will answer many questions in the future.....

People who stick with this for 20 plus weeks will be answering the question.....Can you regrow all your hair back using this method? It is not for you to judge beforehand, I don't know, but I don't see why not either with the science involved as well as my personal results.

my regimen...
Knowing the science proves it
1.5 dermaroller no minoxidil, last 3 sessions been dipping dermaroller in Pennsylvania crude oil
High dosages of vitamin c and msm 3 times a day
Olive oil shampoo

RisingFist

Reaction score
As long as people can dermaroll safely, then it is worth a try. If results aren't coming, maybe change some topicals like castor oil and vit b12, valerian root topical/internal, organic sulfur topical etc. also intervals between sessions. If still no results in 6 months then I guess it won't work with you. The good thing about it is you only do it once a week if not once in 2 weeks. That makes it one of the most convenient and practical treatments in this market. I feel like there's already enough solutions to give people what they want but in each individual case, it is imperative to figure out your personal deficiencies and try to resolve it as best you can. It takes dedication, research and perseverance.

BostonHawk

Established Member
Reaction score
youcandoit, 2 questions:
1. You never used minoxidil during the dermarolling process?
2. Do you have pictures? Sorry if you posted already, I don't remember seeing them.

Thanks for the optimism!

Youcandoit

Established Member
Reaction score
youcandoit, 2 questions:
1. You never used minoxidil during the dermarolling process?
2. Do you have pictures? Sorry if you posted already, I don't remember seeing them.

Thanks for the optimism!

Week 4 in the process of dermarolling I dipped dermaroller in crude oil and some drops of minoxidil, only time I used, around week 8 did the same, since then decided I'm not going to use it anymore because I don't want to or think it's needed.

Also I never posted pics, sorry but all I have is my word, when it get these new hairs to grow on par with normal rate, I will post pics, and I never had a camera to do so, only reason I didn't. I know you people want to see some extreme before after pics. I never had microscopic pics to capture new hairs growing in from bald surface, now they are totally filled in.

BostonHawk

Established Member
Reaction score
just to be clear, you're saying most of your hair has grown back and become terminal? Or are you saying you see a lot of vellus hairs?

CursedMen

Established Member
Reaction score
Youcandoit, speaking for a lot of us, thank you very much for your very inspirational post. Just did my 6th roll, I didn't notice an increase in bleeding compared to last time. Again reporting it doesn't hurt as much as first couple times.

Youcandoit

Established Member
Reaction score
Also want to add this........
Scars are regarded as products of the natural repair of injured tissue. The healing of surgical incisions or lacerations which are closed by approximation with sutures differs from the healing of open wounds such as third-degree burns, stasis ulcers, or decubitus ulcers. Other types of scars may be produced by infections or certain inflammatory diseases.

In superficial wounds, where only a portion of the dermis is destroyed, epithelial cells may migrate from the remnants of sweat glands or hair follicles to form the new surface. The final healing might be a slightly depressed scar such as often is seen in acne or the deeper infections of impetigo or chicken pox. Large boils or papular or cystic acne may produce considerably deeper scars, sometimes of the "ice-pick" variety.

Large deep wounds - where the dermis is destroyed, such as in third-degree burns - pose a different problem for the body. In the absence of adnexal structures such as hair follicles, sebaceous and sweat glands, repair of the defect is by way of granulation tissue. Granulations are capillary buds extending upward to the surface and carrying with them fibroblasts and inflammatory cells. Once a good granulating surface is established, epidermal cells may migrate across to cover the healing surface, but if the wound is large, grafts may be required. Beneath the new thin epidermis new collagen is laid down. The resulting scar may be smooth, but often it presents an irregular, sometimes ropy surface. Shrinkage of the tissue may result in contractures and deformity.

conclusion.....dermarolling experiment here is a trial, squeegee, wanted to go the extreme route and use deeper wounds to stimulate new hair growth which he was excited about his growth. I took the safer approach and stimulated growth using superficial wounds,

He used a 3.0 at times, but I believe his main growth was with 1.5 dermaroller. One may be better than the other, that's what this experiment is all about. We don't really know the specifics on how deep we should go and what will result in best growth, too bad squeegee had a temper, I got rid of mine cause I wanted to change, now hopefully someone else is using bigger than 1.5 so we could compare results.

also when you achieve as much regrowth as I did, you will started asking different questions then.....can I regrow my hair? Your new questions will be.... I now have regrown my hair, how long should I continue dermarolling, and can I stop completely and just maintain with healthy diet, and other techniques to increase blood flow?

this is where i am, my temples receded 3/4 inches on both sides about 3" width on left and right temple, that is all filled in now with black hair.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Youcandoit, speaking for a lot of us, thank you very much for your very inspirational post. Just did my 6th roll, I didn't notice an increase in bleeding compared to last time. Again reporting it doesn't hurt as much as first couple times.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Yes, I noticed something weird last roll, I noticed increase blood flow up till week 9, my last roll was my 10th and I noticed less blood flow, only think I could think of I did different was dermaroll with crude oil mixed with minoxidil. Since then I don't plan on using anymore minoxidil, like I said In previous post, I never applied minoxidil after dermarolling, I just dipped it in a solution of Pennsylvania crude oil, and few drops of minoxidil week 4 and 8. Doubt it has affected growth for the better, I don't like drugs.

i also have decided that I will wait longer than 7 days, I'm thinking more of 9 or 10, I want to stay in a natural healed phase longer to see if it makes a difference.[/FONT]

Kalio

Reaction score
These are my results after only 4 sessions. The hair in my crown really feels thicker than it was, and it does look a bit more filled in. Altough in all honesty I am letting my hair grow longer. I'll update after my 12th session.

- - - Updated - - -

Did anybody here check out this news story?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/wendy-hamriding-woman-blinded-after-2994251

As you can see in the pictures of this woman, she has a spot of dense hair in the middle of her forehead. Could this be the result of wounding caused by the operations to restore her eye-sight or by the dog chewing on her face?

Attachments

• 071220134062.jpg
    071220134062.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 449
  • 090120144218.jpg
    090120144218.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 470

prolastic1110

Reaction score
These are my results after only 4 sessions. The hair in my crown really feels thicker than it was, and it does look a bit more filled in. Altough in all honesty I am letting my hair grow longer. I'll update after my 12th session.

- - - Updated - - -

Did anybody here check out this news story?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/wendy-hamriding-woman-blinded-after-2994251

As you can see in the pictures of this woman, she has a spot of dense hair in the middle of her forehead. Could this be the result of wounding caused by the operations to restore her eye-sight or by the dog chewing on her face?

Definitely looks denser/thicker, are you on minoxidil though? if so, for how long?

Kalio

Reaction score
Yes, I forgot to mention one important aspect, I am on Minoxidil for 9 months now. So it could very well be the Minoxidil kicking in, altough I have to say I never had a shed with Minoxidil and I only felt the thickening in my crown after using the dermaroller. I also just very recently started dermarolling my widows peak which has thinned a lot in the past years and minoxidl did nothing for that area yet. If I grow a lot of hair there, we'll know dermarolling works.

danawhite1

Established Member
Reaction score
Well you're hair is looking better grown out judging from the pics, but I think 4 weeks is too early to be looking for cosmetic results.

As for the poor woman in the link, I'd say there's a strong possibility that the operations stimulated what was left of her eyebrows to grow unnaturally dense and long. On a related note, I've been appraising the likelihood of my dachshund-yorkie mix eating my face if I fell off the roof or something. I see a twinkle in his eye I haven't noticed before...

- - - Updated - - -

I personally wait until all signs of inflammation are gone, any redness, or soreness. Per the owndoc.com recommendation for dermarolling, I feel the same applies to us here. For me this is usually two, sometimes up to 4 days post roll.
and using nizoral the day before rolling is ok too right?

Status
Not open for further replies.