New Dermaroller Study; Thoughts, comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCALPMASTER

Reaction score
Good to here, whats your regimen like? Any photos?

IMG-20131222-00132.jpg
As you can see my crown is still thinner than the rest of my hair, but wet hair always makes it look worse. The dermaroller has definitely helped to thicken it up though; and When my hair is dry it is hard to tell that my crown is thinning at all.

IMG-20131222-00134.jpg
This is my NW3 hairline there are vellus hairs on my temples that cannot be seen on the camera but they were not there before, so again the dermaroller has helped. hopefully some of those vellus hairs will turn terminal.

I am dermarolling every 10 days and using minoxidil 5% x2 per day. I have also started doing a DMSO scalp peel once per week.

- - - Updated - - -

I think i should also mention that i have been losing my hair (very slowly luckily) since i was 21. I want to keep my expectations realistic, so if i can get back to a NW2 - 2.5ish hairline with a thick crown i will be satisfied. And for anyone that doesnt know i am 34 years old.

Justeone

Reaction score
I rolled 5 days ago ... I know I should have waited the usual 7 days ...but I couldn't help it ... the habit has formed. Think there is any harm in rolling every 5 days instead of 7 days ...
My scalp was fully healed from the last roll...what u guys think?

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
This study convinced me to go on with topical hydrocortisone on day 5-6-7 of derma rolling.

http://www.ijtrichology.com/article...ssue=2;spage=73;epage=76; aulast=Nirmal#ref7

- - - Updated - - -

I rolled 5 days ago ... I know I should have waited the usual 7 days ...but I couldn't help it ... the habit has formed. Think there is any harm in rolling every 5 days instead of 7 days ...
My scalp was fully healed from the last roll...what u guys think?

I did the same.. no big deal.. keep on rolling!

- - - Updated - - -

guys .

hi friends.

[video=youtube;ALwtA9Eer5k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALwtA9Eer5k[/video]

saintsfan92344

Established Member
Reaction score
LLAMA p**rn lmao

Finco

Reaction score
View attachment 23077
As you can see my crown is still thinner than the rest of my hair, but wet hair always makes it look worse. The dermaroller has definitely helped to thicken it up though; and When my hair is dry it is hard to tell that my crown is thinning at all.

View attachment 23078
This is my NW3 hairline there are vellus hairs on my temples that cannot be seen on the camera but they were not there before, so again the dermaroller has helped. hopefully some of those vellus hairs will turn terminal.

I am dermarolling every 10 days and using minoxidil 5% x2 per day. I have also started doing a DMSO scalp peel once per week.

- - - Updated - - -

I think i should also mention that i have been losing my hair (very slowly luckily) since i was 21. I want to keep my expectations realistic, so if i can get back to a NW2 - 2.5ish hairline with a thick crown i will be satisfied. And for anyone that doesnt know i am 34 years old.

You thought about upping it to once every 7 days? That was what was done in the study and its probally best to follow that, make sure your are just about drawing blood aswell for best results.

But yeah I don't know how your hair looked before, so keep us updated!

Danik0226

Reaction score
I've been more of a lurker on these forums than anything else, but I'm going to give this a try and see what happens. I am a NW2 with diffuse loss and fine hair that looks kind of bad when wet, but largely fine when dry to the point where some people might call me crazy if I said I was balding. I just got a 1.0 mm, have a 0.5 mm on the way, and may consider getting a 0.25 mm depending on the circumstances and results. Given I still have a fair bit of hair I'm probably going to be more gentle and not purposely draw blood or go crazy like some people here are doing with very bald scalps. Depending on the pain associated with it I may even try using it more so as a means to increase absorption starting out. It looks like people who are in the early stages of balding have had fairly good success with this method. I have been using minoxidil, finasteride, and nizoral for at least 5 years now and I feel like the diffuse thinning is very slowly but surely having its way on my hair.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
I've been more of a lurker on these forums than anything else, but I'm going to give this a try and see what happens. I am a NW2 with diffuse loss and fine hair that looks kind of bad when wet, but largely fine when dry to the point where some people might call me crazy if I said I was balding. I just got a 1.0 mm, have a 0.5 mm on the way, and may consider getting a 0.25 mm depending on the circumstances and results. Given I still have a fair bit of hair I'm probably going to be more gentle and not purposely draw blood or go crazy like some people here are doing with very bald scalps. Depending on the pain associated with it I may even try using it more so as a means to increase absorption starting out. It looks like people who are in the early stages of balding have had fairly good success with this method. I have been using minoxidil, finasteride, and nizoral for at least 5 years now and I feel like the diffuse thinning is very slowly but surely having its way on my hair.

Why bother then? If you are aiming for results you should get a 1.5mm. Everything else is useless.

Jlyncher

Established Member
Reaction score
Very interesting study Squeege, the hydrocortisone could be a valuable addition. I also like that the Dr was using the same dermaroller as me, and it looks like a 1.5mm:) .

"Treatment with immunosupressives is also recommended for Androgenetic Alopecia cases with a score of 3 or above. In other words, Androgenetic Alopecia cases with a perifollicular fibrosis more than 50 μm at the level of lower infundibulum and isthmus with moderate to dense perifollicular inflammation warrants topical immunosuppressive therapy with dermaroller
[SUP][5][/SUP] in Androgenetic Alopecia.

Observations in Androgenetic Alopecia patients supports the idea that the inflammatory process around lower infundibulum and isthmus may be responsible for the progression of Androgenetic Alopecia."

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Very interesting study Squeege, the hydrocortisone could be a valuable addition. I also like that the Dr was using the same dermaroller as me, and it looks like a 1.5mm:) .

"Treatment with immunosupressives is also recommended for Androgenetic Alopecia cases with a score of 3 or above. In other words, Androgenetic Alopecia cases with a perifollicular fibrosis more than 50 μm at the level of lower infundibulum and isthmus with moderate to dense perifollicular inflammation warrants topical immunosuppressive therapy with dermaroller
[SUP][5][/SUP] in Androgenetic Alopecia.

Observations in Androgenetic Alopecia patients supports the idea that the inflammatory process around lower infundibulum and isthmus may be responsible for the progression of Androgenetic Alopecia."

Good eye J! It looks 1.5mm to me as well!!

saintsfan92344

Established Member
Reaction score
So squeegee or guys whats your thoughts on applying the hyrdro, as a cream? or is some type of other liquid available.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
If I don't notice a difference then I will give it a try. My hair loss is not bad enough to the point of me rushing to try the 1.5 mm.

Fix it right now.. before he gets bad.

CursedMen

Established Member
Reaction score
1.5 mm roller = 1 mg propecia = 2x 5% minoxidil it is the amount recommended for most people. Odds are you are wasting your time with anything smaller.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
So squeegee or guys whats your thoughts on applying the hyrdro, as a cream? or is some type of other liquid available.

I just bought some hydrocortisone .5% OVC. I need to figuring out a plan.. ?? .5% is a small dose.. will use derma roller for better absorption.

saintsfan92344

Established Member
Reaction score
I just bought some hydrocortisone .5% OVC. I need to figuring out a plan.. ?? .5% is a small dose.. will use derma roller for better absorption.

Yeah I got the derma roller from the pic, but it was a liquid that was applied, I just haven seen that before

I just did 8th roll and am noticing a definite difference in the crunching sound, I actually noticed it last week but this week as more noticable because I rolled with a 2mm, I assume is a good thing but am curious if anyone else noticed that. The reduction in crunching coincides with me starting a numbing cream so I am curious if its the cream

Jlyncher

Established Member
Reaction score

The cream should be fine, the only concern I've noticed mentioned repeatedly is that it can cause thinning of the skin with prolonged use. Hence the idea of combining it with tretinoin(retinA) which thins the outermost layer(stratum corneum) but thickens the rest of the epidermis and collagen. But...if you were to only use it a couple times a week like Squeeg plans to, skin thinning may not be a problem. I dunno, need to check into it more later. The Jlyncher Christmas family marathon starts in a few hours so I better preserve my energy.:beer:

:santa: Merry Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Festivus all you crazy, beautiful rollers!! :santa:

Status
Not open for further replies.