New Dermaroller Study; Thoughts, comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
SQUEEGEE SQUEEGEE SQUEEGEE

haahahahahaahahah! you guys are crazy! Saint is BelifISKEY #1 fan! I know it!

[video=youtube;aTRSmjUfYrs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTRSmjUfYrs[/video]

saintsfan92344

Established Member
Reaction score
Got you up 4 rounds to 1

goata007

Established Member
Reaction score
BeliefISKEY..this is not a frigging caterpillar..It is an hair transplant strip showing marked perifollicular fibrosis
This is where the ****ing problem is, not your stupid galea.

If you believes in unicorns theories and Santa Claus.. that is cool but keep it for yourself LOL

Is this pic from an article/study about perifolliular fibrosis? a link would be nice...

Jlyncher

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, now that my laughter has died down...I've tried cycling anti-inflammatories at different points throughout the week. The day before, the day after, midweek, and not at all. I seemed to have slightly better results with midweek, as opposed to anything else, but the difference was minor and may have been completely in my head. Anyone else have some input on the anti-inflammatories? Planet Galea...hehe.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Well, now that my laughter has died down...I've tried cycling anti-inflammatories at different points throughout the week. The day before, the day after, midweek, and not at all. I seemed to have slightly better results with midweek, as opposed to anything else, but the difference was minor and may have been completely in my head. Anyone else have some input on the anti-inflammatories? Planet Galea...hehe.

J... NSAID is a nono!
The effects of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug application on incisional wound healing in rats.

Krischak GD, Augat P, Claes L, Kinzl L, Beck A.
Author information

• Department of Traumatology, Hand, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, University of Ulm, Ulm, Germany.

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:

There is evidence that non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) delay both epithelialisation and angiogenesis in the early phases of wound healing because of an antiproliferative effect. We investigated the influence of diclofenac, a non-selective NSAID, on incisional wound healing.

METHOD:

Ten male Wistar rats were given 5 mg diclofenac per kg bodyweight per day; 10 rats were given placebo pellets. After 10 days, unimpaired healing occurred independently of drug treatment both macroscopically and microscopically. Histomorphometry revealed a significant reduction (p = 0.006) in fibroblasts after diclofenac application (median 3 166 cells per mm2) compared with the placebo group (median 3940 cells per mm2). Epidermal thickness was not statistically different between the two groups.

RESULTS:

Diclofenac diminished the amount of fibroblasts in connective tissue, reflecting the known antiproliferative effect of NSAIDs on fibroblasts. Clinical healing was not affected.

CONCLUSION:

We recommend short-term diclofenac application for post-surgical and post-traumatic patients with wounds who would benefit from its antiphlogistic and analgesic effect. However, if wound healing is disturbed, the negative effect of diclofenac on fibroblasts should be considered. This is particularly relevant for patients with chronic wounds or conditions such as diabetes which can delay wound healing.

- - - Updated - - -

Topical antioxidants??

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ecam/2012/491027/

1. Introduction

Wound can be defined as a disruption of the normal cellular, anatomical, and functional continuity of a structure. Thus, wound healing is a complex process which aims to restore the structural and functional integrity of the wounded tissue [1]. Wound healing can be divided into 3 stages, inflammation, proliferation, remodeling and maturation phases which involved the interaction of various cells, cytokines, and growth factors [2]. In some pathological disorders like diabetes mellitus, renal failure, malnutrition, wound healing is greatly impaired [3]. In diabetic patients, the prevalence of diabetic foot ulcers are 4–10%, and the treatment of foot ulcers are expensive and extensive [4]. Previous research study has shown that free radical inhibits the wound healing process [5]. Thus, the wound healing process can be accelerated by using antioxidants.

Recently, research has focused on the use of natural antioxidants like herbal extracts and vitamins on wound healing. The beneficial effects of vitamins on wound healing have mainly been studied using animal models. Only vitamin C has been shown to accelerate healing in human subjects [6]. Oral and topical application of vitamin A has been shown to enhance healing in diabetic, immunocompromised, and malignant tumor animal models [7–10]. The positive effect of vitamin E oral administration on wound healing has also been well documented. Previously, we had reported benefit of oral administration of palm-vitamin E on wound healing in aging and diabetic rat models [11, 12]. Raxofelast, a hydrophilic vitamin-E-like compound injected intraperitoneally has shown its promising wound healing properties in an incisive wound model of diabetic rats [13]. However, considering the poor effusion and microcirculation insufficiency in diabetic patients, topical application of vitamin E might be more effective in accelerating wound healing compared to oral administration. Hence, in this study, we aimed to evaluate the effect of tocopherol topical application in the form of cream on wound healing of streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats.

Tocotrienol-rich fraction of palm oil exhibits anti-inflammatory property by suppressing the expression of inflammatory mediators in human monocytic cells.

Wu SJ, Liu PL, Ng LT.
Author information

Erratum in

• Mol Nutr Food Res. 2009 Feb;53(2):309.

Abstract

Tocotrienol-rich fraction (TRF) of palm oil has been shown to possess potent antioxidant, anticancer, and cholesterol lowering activities. In this study, our aim was to examine the effects of TRF on LPS-induced inflammatory response through measuring the production of inflammatory mediators, namely nitric oxide (NO), prostaglandin E(2) (PGE(2)), inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS), cytokines (TNF-alpha, IL-4, and IL-8), cyclooxygenase-1 and -2 (COX-1 and COX-2), and nuclear factor-kappaB (NF-kappaB) in human monocytic (THP-1) cells. At concentrations 0.5-5.0 microg/mL, TRF dose-dependently protected against LPS-induced cell death. At same concentrations, TRF also showed potent anti-inflammatory activity as demonstrated by a dose-dependent inhibition of LPS (1 microg/mL)-induced release of NO and PGE(2), and a significant decrease in the transcription of proinflammatory cytokines. TRF at 1.0 microg/mL significantly blocked the LPS induction of iNOS and COX-2 expression, but not COX-1. This anti-inflammatory activity was further supported by the inhibition of NF-kappaB expression. These results conclude that TRF possesses potent anti-inflammatory activity, and its mechanism of action could be through the inhibition of iNOS and COX-2 production, as well as NF-kappaB expression.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18481320

hairregrowth21

Established Member
Reaction score
I experienced good results during the first month using emu oil and black castor oil post rolling. It was a widening of the hairline. Everything since then has been filling in for the most part.

Has anyone else tried hydrogen peroxide? There are articles suggesting that it is not the best for cleaning wounds because part of its properties include keeping the wound open. Isn't this something 2Young has had success with via re-opening the wounds? Let me tell you, I did it once after a light .5MM roll and it felt very invigorating. Addicting almost. I applied more every 15 minutes until I went to sleep. Could there be something there? Getting oxygen to the roots of the hair follicles?

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
I experienced good results during the first month using emu oil and black castor oil post rolling. It was a widening of the hairline. Everything since then has been filling in for the most part.

Has anyone else tried hydrogen peroxide? There are articles suggesting that it is not the best for cleaning wounds because part of its properties include keeping the wound open. Isn't this something 2Young has had success with via re-opening the wounds? Let me tell you, I did it once after a light .5MM roll and it felt very invigorating. Addicting almost. I applied more every 15 minutes until I went to sleep. Could there be something there? Getting oxygen to the roots of the hair follicles?

The goal is to find something that accelerates wound healing with the derma roller and take care of the chronic inflamed side of the house to stimulates maximum results. Going to be a tough find... Maybe going oral? LOL

I want to use a smaller length derma roller for maximum absorption.. no sides effects would be preferable.

Minoxidil is a good topical antifibrogenic... at least we have this in our artillery.

Hydrogen peroxide is highly controversy.. too much can be bad..

http://www.plosone.org/article/fetc....1371/journal.pone.0049215&representation=PDF

Emu oil sounds good.. but I don't know!

http://www.emuoilcanada.com/scar_prevention.html

This subject reminds me of this guy that totally restored his hairline with sulfasalazine:

I used to be a member here a few years back...I was starting to lose quite a bit of hair at the temples at the time. I'd say about 2 or 3 cm in a typical horseshoe pattern. I was on finasteride for a while which seemed to halt my hairloss but I don't think i was on it long enough for any regrowth. I have been off it for at least a year now however. Today, I'm happy to say I pretty much have the exact same hairline as I did when i was in highschool.... I was recently diagnosed with arthritis and put on a medication called sulfasalazine. I have been on it for about 9 months now, and it has helped my arthritis a great deal, however I'm 99% sure it has also completely restored my hairline. I did some reading on it recently and it seems it has been used for this purpose in the past. Just thought I'd let all of you guys know in case it hasn't been discussed here in the past. I'm pretty sure its a LOT more safer than finasteride (i wasn't warned of any side effects when I was subscribed it), and it might help some of you out. Hope this helps!

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=10&threadid=89978

Sulfasalazine: a potent and specific inhibitor of nuclear factor kappa B.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC508669/

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Jlyncher

Established Member
Reaction score
J... NSAID is a nono!
The effects of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug application on incisional wound healing in rats.

Krischak GD, Augat P, Claes L, Kinzl L, Beck A.
Author information

• Department of Traumatology, Hand, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, University of Ulm, Ulm, Germany.

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:

There is evidence that non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) delay both epithelialisation and angiogenesis in the early phases of wound healing because of an antiproliferative effect. We investigated the influence of diclofenac, a non-selective NSAID, on incisional wound healing.

METHOD:

Ten male Wistar rats were given 5 mg diclofenac per kg bodyweight per day; 10 rats were given placebo pellets. After 10 days, unimpaired healing occurred independently of drug treatment both macroscopically and microscopically. Histomorphometry revealed a significant reduction (p = 0.006) in fibroblasts after diclofenac application (median 3 166 cells per mm2) compared with the placebo group (median 3940 cells per mm2). Epidermal thickness was not statistically different between the two groups.

RESULTS:

Diclofenac diminished the amount of fibroblasts in connective tissue, reflecting the known antiproliferative effect of NSAIDs on fibroblasts. Clinical healing was not affected.

CONCLUSION:

We recommend short-term diclofenac application for post-surgical and post-traumatic patients with wounds who would benefit from its antiphlogistic and analgesic effect. However, if wound healing is disturbed, the negative effect of diclofenac on fibroblasts should be considered. This is particularly relevant for patients with chronic wounds or conditions such as diabetes which can delay wound healing.

- - - Updated - - -

Topical antioxidants??

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ecam/2012/491027/

1. Introduction

Wound can be defined as a disruption of the normal cellular, anatomical, and functional continuity of a structure. Thus, wound healing is a complex process which aims to restore the structural and functional integrity of the wounded tissue [1]. Wound healing can be divided into 3 stages, inflammation, proliferation, remodeling and maturation phases which involved the interaction of various cells, cytokines, and growth factors [2]. In some pathological disorders like diabetes mellitus, renal failure, malnutrition, wound healing is greatly impaired [3]. In diabetic patients, the prevalence of diabetic foot ulcers are 4–10%, and the treatment of foot ulcers are expensive and extensive [4]. Previous research study has shown that free radical inhibits the wound healing process [5]. Thus, the wound healing process can be accelerated by using antioxidants.

Recently, research has focused on the use of natural antioxidants like herbal extracts and vitamins on wound healing. The beneficial effects of vitamins on wound healing have mainly been studied using animal models. Only vitamin C has been shown to accelerate healing in human subjects [6]. Oral and topical application of vitamin A has been shown to enhance healing in diabetic, immunocompromised, and malignant tumor animal models [7–10]. The positive effect of vitamin E oral administration on wound healing has also been well documented. Previously, we had reported benefit of oral administration of palm-vitamin E on wound healing in aging and diabetic rat models [11, 12]. Raxofelast, a hydrophilic vitamin-E-like compound injected intraperitoneally has shown its promising wound healing properties in an incisive wound model of diabetic rats [13]. However, considering the poor effusion and microcirculation insufficiency in diabetic patients, topical application of vitamin E might be more effective in accelerating wound healing compared to oral administration. Hence, in this study, we aimed to evaluate the effect of tocopherol topical application in the form of cream on wound healing of streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats.

Tocotrienol-rich fraction of palm oil exhibits anti-inflammatory property by suppressing the expression of inflammatory mediators in human monocytic cells.

Wu SJ, Liu PL, Ng LT.
Author information

Erratum in

• Mol Nutr Food Res. 2009 Feb;53(2):309.

Abstract

Tocotrienol-rich fraction (TRF) of palm oil has been shown to possess potent antioxidant, anticancer, and cholesterol lowering activities. In this study, our aim was to examine the effects of TRF on LPS-induced inflammatory response through measuring the production of inflammatory mediators, namely nitric oxide (NO), prostaglandin E(2) (PGE(2)), inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS), cytokines (TNF-alpha, IL-4, and IL-8), cyclooxygenase-1 and -2 (COX-1 and COX-2), and nuclear factor-kappaB (NF-kappaB) in human monocytic (THP-1) cells. At concentrations 0.5-5.0 microg/mL, TRF dose-dependently protected against LPS-induced cell death. At same concentrations, TRF also showed potent anti-inflammatory activity as demonstrated by a dose-dependent inhibition of LPS (1 microg/mL)-induced release of NO and PGE(2), and a significant decrease in the transcription of proinflammatory cytokines. TRF at 1.0 microg/mL significantly blocked the LPS induction of iNOS and COX-2 expression, but not COX-1. This anti-inflammatory activity was further supported by the inhibition of NF-kappaB expression. These results conclude that TRF possesses potent anti-inflammatory activity, and its mechanism of action could be through the inhibition of iNOS and COX-2 production, as well as NF-kappaB expression.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18481320

Squeeg, you're a bloodhound for relevant citations, but I should have clarified. I wasn't referring to nsaids, but keto/emu oil. Any thoughts on adding saba gel, 50/50 hydrocortisone/retinA?

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Squeeg, you're a bloodhound for relevant citations, but I should have clarified. I wasn't referring to nsaids, but keto/emu oil. Any thoughts on adding saba gel, 50/50 hydrocortisone/retinA?

saba gel? help us out here!!!

It looks really interesting! Imagine with a smaller derma roller.. .25 for better absorption..

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=10&threadid=107641
http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=10&threadid=84880

SABA Gel for Hairloss

By hairlossbuddha On August 14, 2012 · 1 Comment

A dermatologist, Dr Sandra Brown MD practicing in Southfield(MI) claims that she has successfully reversed many
types of hairloss in hundreds of her patients by the use of her SABA Gel.
The gel contains bethametasone dipropionate 0.05% and tretinoin (all-trans-retinoic acid) 0.0125%.

http://www.hairlossbuddha.com/saba-gel-for-hairloss/

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
saba gel? help us out here!!!

It looks really interesting! Imagine with a smaller derma roller.. .25 for better absorption..

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=10&threadid=107641
http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=10&threadid=84880

SABA Gel for Hairloss

By hairlossbuddha On August 14, 2012 · 1 Comment

A dermatologist, Dr Sandra Brown MD practicing in Southfield(MI) claims that she has successfully reversed many
types of hairloss in hundreds of her patients by the use of her SABA Gel.
The gel contains bethametasone dipropionate 0.05% and tretinoin (all-trans-retinoic acid) 0.0125%.

http://www.hairlossbuddha.com/saba-gel-for-hairloss/

You've never heard of SABA gel? I've mentioned it before (perhaps on another forum) that it may help with the skin, but not so much the follicles.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
You've never heard of SABA gel? I've mentioned it before (perhaps on another forum) that it may help with the skin, but not so much the follicles.

help with inflammation? What is that SABA gel anyways? Can we find / mix the stuff? Let's go Hell.. any helpful links? info? Are you up @ 4 friggin A.M.? you crazy!

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
help with inflammation? What is that SABA gel anyways? Can we find / mix the stuff? Let's go Hell.. any helpful links? info? Are you up @ 4 friggin A.M.? you crazy!

SABA gel I think is typically sold via group buys on other forums. PM me for details on that.

I slept during the day, had about a 4 hour nap once I finished my christmas shopping... so im not sleepy anymore.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
SABA gel I think is typically sold via group buys on other forums. PM me for details on that.

I slept during the day, had about a 4 hour nap once I finished my christmas shopping... so im not sleepy anymore.

SCALPMASTER

Reaction score
I was checking my hair today and my crown is definitely better than it was. With wet hair it still looks thinner than the rest of my hair but when dry it is hard to see the crown thinning at all.
I know there is improvement because the thinning was always obvious even with dry hair but now ( with dry hair ) it isn't.

saintsfan92344

Established Member
Reaction score
All this talk about hairloss is great guys BUT what about the FIGHT, DING DING lol

Sorry just stirring the pot a bit, just cant help myself

Finco

Reaction score
I was checking my hair today and my crown is definitely better than it was. With wet hair it still looks thinner than the rest of my hair but when dry it is hard to see the crown thinning at all.
I know there is improvement because the thinning was always obvious even with dry hair but now ( with dry hair ) it isn't.

Good to here, whats your regimen like? Any photos?

Jlyncher

Established Member
Reaction score

I thought it was just a 1:1 hydrocortisone/retinA mixture? Easy to make in other words.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, looks like the good Dr was using betamethasome, but has switched to mixing hydrocortisone/retinA.

"Here two studies that confirm the benefits in safety of combining all-trans-retinoic acid and corticosteroids:
http://www.hairlossbuddha.com/topic...hout-abrogating-the-anti-inflammatory-effect/ http://www.hairlossbuddha.com/in-vi...-collagen-glycosaminoglycans-and-fibronectin/

It is known that hair follicles in people with Androgenic Alopecia is suffering from a constant inflammation. By adding a strong anti-inflammatory steroid like betamethasone dipropionate the inflammation
may be healed the fibrosis may even be reversed.

It is also know that tretinoin aka Retin-A aka all-trans-retinoic acid has the ability to promote hair growth. Thus combinining these 2 agents may produce a strong treatment for Androgenic Alopecia. A study of Tretinoin and hair growth can be found here:
http://www.hairlossbuddha.com/topical-tretinoin-for-hair-growth-promotion/

Dr.Brown sells the SABA Gel 150USD/60g and now using weaker component (hydrocortisone 1%) which is much weaker than betamethasome. You also need to be her patient to get your hands on your gel.
For these reasons people have decided to create their own SABA Gels and experiments have begun.

The patent of Saba Gel can be found at PatentStorm."

I was off on my ratio though "The resulting compound contains 0.05% by weight betamethasone dipropionate and 0.0125% by weight all-trans-retinoic acid, for a corticosteroid-to-Vitamin A derivative ratio of 4:1."

I'm not sure what that would translate to in a hydrocortisone ratio...

Status
Not open for further replies.