New, Axe Pomade and styling paste, cause hairloss????

Axe=Hairloss

Reaction score
I am 30 years old and I have had no previous problems with hairloss before. My wife noticed my hair looked thinner than normal last week. I have been using Axe Promade (purple container) for over three monthes. Started noticing hair loss when applying the stuff over a month ago and continued using until now. After searching Axe + hairloss and finding this post I will no longer be using Axe products. The stuff should be taken off the shelves. Hopefully my hair grows back out in the meantime.

trevorl

Reaction score
I started using Axe pomade earlier this year and have noticed significant thinning in the past couple months.

I'm 38 and up until a couple months ago had a full, thick head of hair. My father has no hair loss at 65 and my maternal grandfather didn't start thinning until his 70s.

Part of my process in putting on the pomade is to rub it against my scalp to give my hair some body. I also tend to put it on my roots. I only tend to use it 1-2 times per week and use about an almond size glob each time I use it.

Note that I also have dandruff and use several anti-dandruff shampoos, so it may be an interaction between the dandruff shampoo and the pomade.

I'm going to stop using Axe pomade. Does anyone know if other pomades are okay, or is pomade just bad in general?

Keschete

Reaction score
Wow, im so glad i found this site! I recently noticed my hair getting thinner on the top. I am 35 and my hair is fairly thick and i could never see my scalp. Now i can see it very easily and i find hairs in the sink everyday. I started using Axe dandruff shampoo and Axe pomade about 6 months ago. I started using the one in the blue container (shiny look) and then i could not find it on the shelves anymore. I then started to buy the purple container. I knew i wasnt imagining it. I will immedietly stop using these products and see if my hair will grow back. Should i see a dermatologist about this? One last thing... from what i've been told, there is no history of baldness on either side of my family.

theproman23

Reaction score
I myself am very glad I found this post. I've been using the Axe pomade for the past few months and I really liked how I was able to style my hair I as it's thick and somewhat hard to manage. The past week or so I've been noticing that my hair has been thinning more and more towards the left side of the front of my scalp and the more and more I looked the hair was thinner and thinner in that area. Also, I noticed that the top of my head was thinning as well. After reading this thread I thought about it and those are the areas where I apply the most of this pomade. I walked right in to the bathroom and threw out both containers of the pomade that were sitting there. I am going to go back to using the American Crew Firm Hold Gel I used to use.

Any recommendations on the next steps? Also, can any one recommend a good hair styling product for thick hair that will replicate what the Axe Pomade does without the negative side effects? I like to comb my hair back and to the sides and I've been growing it out so it's about half a n inch longer than finger length.

Also, any hair regrowth or conditioning products anyone can recommend would be much appreciated as well.

PS I use the RedKen shampoo and conditioner and it's been recommended to me by many stylists. I noticed that while using the Axe products and hoping out of the shower my hair is really dry and looks damaged even after using the RedKen products. My hair used to be healthy looking when using other products so may the dry damaged hair is attributable to the Axe Pomade as well?

Thanks in advance!

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score
i believe the wax/pomade keeps your shed hair on your head while the product is in use

meaning you shed hair all day long, however the wax is keeping the already shed hair on your head

so when you shower all the hair that you would have shed during the whole day comes out in the shower when the product looses its stickiness
so it would appear that your loosing more hair

does that make sense

kpm181

Reaction score
Been using axe paste for about a year. I have noticed my hair falling out more the past year but recently enough has fallen out I have an area on my left side of my scalp at the hair line that is now a bald spot with a few hairs left. The oppisite side of my head my hair loss is not so much. It is uneven which I find weird. I have no history of hair loss in my family. So I was worried. Have a doctors appointment Monday to make sure there is nothing medically wrong with me. I heard thyroid might be something I should have checked. Well I been surfing the internet and came across this thread. And I am glad I did. I will stop using the Axe products and keep myself updated on this site. Ill post if I notice my hair recovering and will check back to see how it is going for the rest of you. I pray it comes back. Thanks to everyone for posting so other like myself have this information available.

HairyHair

Reaction score
Anyone that has gone to the doctor have any new updates? It would be a great help to us.

It's funny because I too noticed a LOT of hair loss since I started using Axe and possibly American Crew's pomade. I only used ACP for one container, then moved to Axe since it was cheaper. But I've noticed my entire head has lost a lot of hair

I normally use Tea Tree shampoos for dry scalps (because where I live the water is VERY VERY dry and hard) so I've used Jason's hair shampoo/conditioners for years now without a problem. However Axe definitely made my hair fall out. I am considering going to the doctor as well, but would like to know what everyone's findings were as of yet?

I've been using the Axe Pomade, and recently (yesterday) purchased the paste, to try a different product, since my hair started getting flat, because of the thinning. I'm going to chuck this stuff though, after seeing others post similar experiences, I don't think there is any reason NOT to conclude it is related. :agree:

Qwvox

Reaction score
Found this site after I Googled Axe Pomade and hair lose.

I've never had a hair lose problem. I noticed a lot of hair lose and try to figure out what changed. The only thing I came up with is I started using Axe Pomade 4 months ago.

I can't believe they haven't fixed this problem. From the age of this thread this experience goes back some time. Did anyone contact Axe and let them know?

haradrim5000

Reaction score
Found this thread when I googled "hair loss" and "pomade." I'm not ever sure if I'm losing hair. I might be or not. But something was looking different. I stopped using the axe pommade and my hair looks fuller and healthier after only a couple of days without it. We'll see...

spyvsspy901

Reaction score
I just found this forum last night! axe is poison!!! im 31 & ive been using the putty for about 2 months and you can see my scalp all over the top of my head where ive been putting the putty and i have never experienced hair loss before this. i just discontinued use last night and i will post results as far as hair regrowth goes in a few weeks. i feel horrible for anyone effected by this product. thanks alot axe! why dont you take a couple inches off my wang while youre at it! this company needs to be held accountable. anyone with results as far as hair regrowth after discontinuing use should post to give us hope.

haradrim5000

Reaction score
Some Hope

Some of us may not actually be losing our hair. I think this stuff just makes your hair look limp and dead looking, or at least that's my case. My hair just looked like sh*t when I used it, and after a few days being off it, my hair looks A LOT better. It just looks fuller.

I think the AXE was just making my hair look unhealthy, and I mistook it for hair loss.

And I should point out that I have skin problems, which include the scalp. I think this stuff may have aggravated my dermatitis. And dermatitis can make your hair look bad. That could be part of the problem.

After only a few days of not using this stuff my hair looks A LOT BETTER. I'm not even convinced that I was losing hair. I think this stuff just made it look like I was. I think it was causing the individual hairs on my head to look limp unhealthy.

haradrim5000

Reaction score
Hopeful Sign.... Maybe

Ok, guys I'm knocking on wood here, but I THINK I see new hairs growing in the place where it seemed to have disappeared. There's definitely some stubble growing in the area that had appeared to be losing hair (my right temple was mainly affected.)

Will keep you updated and ask everyone else to do the same.

I've been off the Pomade for closer to a week now I think.

princear918

Reaction score
I had the same problem with This product. I going crazy tryn to figure out y iam goin bold I'm only 23. I'm not going to use it any more is there a deff kind of hair paste that dose same job but dose not cause hair loss??

Boomer01

Established Member
Reaction score
I just stumbled upon this thread. What is odd is that I never had any sort of hair loss until months of using axe. I used to use it all over my hair for a messy look and all of the sudden I was thinning on my crown. I don't use it all over anymore but do use a tiny bit on the front of my scalp. I've never associated the two together but know I'm thinking they might be related. Even after stopping using axe all over, my hair has not grown back on my crown.

dcalle7229

Reaction score
okay so im 19 and its been about 6 months since i stopped using axe messy look and my hair is still thinning and i have fallen hairs everywhere my genes not an issue my grandfather is 90 and has a full set of hair.. nothing has changed except the gel.. no I'm thinking if we can gather enough people with this issue axe has a law suit on their hands.. I'm going to send them and email to see what the hell is going on because its ridiculous

Boomer01

Established Member
Reaction score
I wrote them an email and got this generic response:

Thank you for contacting us.

We do apologize for the experience you reported concerning Axe Hair Products.

A certain amount of hair is shed daily. This is nature's method of making way for new hair.

Hair loss may be linked to number of factors including; hormonal change, stress, genetic makeup, physical trauma, serious illness, medication, improper diet, and hairstyles that pull tightly at hair roots. The severity of hair loss varies. Serious hair and scalp disorders should be treated by a dermatologist or other physician, who can recommend the appropriate shampoos or other medications.

Our company is dedicated to marketing products of only the highest quality and safety. All of our brands are tested extensively before they are marketed. We are concerned when we hear of a problem involving one of our products and will share your comments with the appropriate staff.

Sincerely,

Your friends at Axe

BobbyPaulson

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has seen this Axe hair loss theory in any other men's hair products. I use to use the Axe product but discontinued using it because I didn't like the way it made my hair sticky and how it looked. I had "heard" that the Axe paste/pamade would cause hair lose but I didn't think much of it because I am 30 and have always had a thick head of hair and thought I didn't have much of a concern. I stumbled across this thread because I am now using Suave Professionals Styling Paste and I have noticed that my hair is now thinning in the front where I would apply a majority of the product. I looked to see who made the Suave product versus the Axe product and both are made by Unilever. I don't know if there is any correlation between the two products and I have not had a chance to look at the ingredients. I find the coincidence a little strange and I plan to look into this further. Has anyone had any experience with this Suave product and the same hair loss? Is there a particular ingredient that causes hair loss that should be avoided?

sd7326

Reaction score
I'm soon to be 40 yrs and have been using Axe Pomade for the past few months. I have noticed gradual hair loss, most prominantly in the front where I use the most product for a spiked look. Until recently, I used to get thick hair complements from my hairdresser, now my wife is giving me the gears for these patchy spots. I'm going to stop using this stuff, however reading these posts suggests this could be a much bigger issue.

I was hoping to follow my maternal grandfather who still sports a full head of hair in to his 80's.

wendal

Established Member
Reaction score
I have no experience with axe products. However I was considering growing my hair out a bit and slicking it back (I like the Johnny Depp from Donny Brasco slick back due). I was going to use some kind of pomade to achieve this look, and even though I hear most pomades do not contribute to hairloss (with the possible exception to axe?), I'd prefer to not risk clocking my poors and possibly causing more hair loss.

Instead, I'd rather use a natural oil that's good for my hair. Can anyone make any recommendations? I hear coconut oil is really good for the scalp.

sy90wh

Reaction score
I saw this thread and have a lot of experience with Axe Whatever Paste... I've been using it at least 4.5 years and have had zero hair loss. Also, there aren't a lot of pastes that work well with guys that have wiry / hair that needs a very firm hold, and this product does that, so I don't like the idea of throwing it away on a web rumor.

I think it highly unlikely that this paste is actually causing loss through an ingredient.... maybe a few people have a wild allergy that kills follicles with a mystery ingredient on the list, but with modern cosmetics testing.... that's very unlikely

That said, I would point out two things as this is somewhat of a unique product: it is, without a doubt, the heaviest paste hair product I have ever seen... very very thick, lierally almost like clay... as such, that means:

First, it can cause hair loss that is due to pilot error and is not the fault of the product..... such a thick paste will clog hair follicles, start tiny bacterial infections and acne that kills follicles easily causing permanent loss... it's been clinically proven about a million times... so it is a really bad idea to use it as an all over paste to do slick backs / coat the entire length of your hair because you are then letting it get all the way down to your scalp... it sits on your scalp and over time that will cause a monster problem

Second, using such a thick product on the wrong hair type will create the illusion of thinning hair.... this product is really for use on very thick hair to do things like spiking, texturizing the outside of your doo, etc. If you are using it on hair that is not VERY thick, it basically pastes the hair together, reduces volume and suddenly makes it really easy to see down to your scalp... making it look like you lost 1/3 of your hair overnight

So, my suggestions?
- if you have blond or red hair or brown / black hair that is not very substantial, this probably is waaaaay too thick a product
- if you see complete hairs with a white follicle on the end coming out.... that's a solid rocket booster emergency and you need to talk to your Doctor... follicle comes out ... it's a permanent loss....
- while genetics play a huge role... an equally huge issue is keeping your scalp clean... I'm allergic to many things, so I've gotta take a lot of showers, I wash my hair with shampoo (like wal mart / equate generic head n shoulders) that leaves my scalp squeaky clean at least once a day, usually twice... I'm 50ish (fxcking sigh) and have the roughly same thickness and hairline I had at 20
- ideally figure out hairstyles where products never touch your scalp.... it can he hard to do, but it's worth it...

I'm not saying my system is perfect, and YMMV, but it's worked great for me....

gl to all