Need An Anti Androgen, I'm Shedding Again Since I Dropped finasteride

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey all, I was on finasteride for a whole year and only deteriorated fast at the front. I've been off it for maybe a month and a half now. I initially had good success with oral minoxidil but since dropping finasteride Ive lost my gains (I'm almost 5 months in)
I am so confused as I was losing my hair fast while on finasteride and I still am now that I'm off it with noticeable hair fall. I'm almost tempted to get back on it, but I'm afraid of a repeat of last time. I'm even considering dutasteride at this point. I'm so lost right now guys, any help?

centurie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I started my treatments on finasteride 4 years ago and for the first year all I saw was continued shedding and hairline thinning. Upon adding minoxidil my hair thickened up insanely but then after a year of use my hair returned to its usual state going through cycles of thicker and thinner hair. Overall I would say my hairline is somewhat more receeded but overall my hair is still better than baseline so I guess even though I originally believed finasteride wasn’t doing anything I guess it must be because I don’t think minoxidil alone would maintain my hair for the past 4 years.

You may be going through a minoxidil periodic shed or maybe the DHT is catching up. I don’t think long term being on an anti adrogen is a bad thing for your hair but it does raise your free testosterone so that’s maybe why your hairline took a hit (it’s more succeltable to free T). If I was you I would hope on some form of an anti androgen and just ride it out - but then again it may be a gamble.

Goodluck!

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I started my treatments on finasteride 4 years ago and for the first year all I saw was continued shedding and hairline thinning. Upon adding minoxidil my hair thickened up insanely but then after a year of use my hair returned to its usual state going through cycles of thicker and thinner hair. Overall I would say my hairline is somewhat more receeded but overall my hair is still better than baseline so I guess even though I originally believed finasteride wasn’t doing anything I guess it must be because I don’t think minoxidil alone would maintain my hair for the past 4 years.

You may be going through a minoxidil periodic shed or maybe the DHT is catching up. I don’t think long term being on an anti adrogen is a bad thing for your hair but it does raise your free testosterone so that’s maybe why your hairline took a hit (it’s more succeltable to free T). If I was you I would hope on some form of an anti androgen and just ride it out - but then again it may be a gamble.

Goodluck!
Thanks for the Input man. I think I will leave it for another couple of months and see where I'm at then. Definitely not going to drop the oral minoxidil, I'm putting it as a permanent part of my regimen. I hope we get better treatments soon. Maybe I will start saving for a hair transplant.. I hope things turn around I got enough sh*t going on in my life right now without having to worry hair loss UGHH.

can'tBeatNature

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the Input man. I think I will leave it for another couple of months and see where I'm at then. Definitely not going to drop the oral minoxidil, I'm putting it as a permanent part of my regimen. I hope we get better treatments soon. Maybe I will start saving for a hair transplant.. I hope things turn around I got enough sh*t going on in my life right now without having to worry hair loss UGHH.
Also keep in mind finasteride barely puts a dent in blocking scalp dht, which is the most important area you want to block dht. Finasteride increases free t levels and is weak in decreasing scalp dht, especially with your dosage. With more aggressive male pattern baldness, finasteride simply isn't enough.You need to either go on dutasteride and atleast see how that works for you, and/or add a good topical anti-androgen. Gotta act fast my man. Make a quick f*****g decision now. While you can still regain what you lost.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Also keep in mind finasteride barely puts a dent in blocking scalp dht, which is the most important area you want to block dht. Finasteride increases free t levels and is weak in decreasing scalp dht, especially with your dosage. With more aggressive male pattern baldness, finasteride simply isn't enough.You need to either go on dutasteride and atleast see how that works for you, and/or add a good topical anti-androgen. Gotta act fast my man. Make a quick f*****g decision now. While you can still regain what you lost.
Haha I appreciate the straight dope. I want to give RU a shot but I can't see myself keeping up with a topical regimen. Scalp DHT should be my target you're right. @IdealForehead seems to be having success with topical darolutamide (I think that's what it's called? ) that sounds promising but very expensive.

can'tBeatNature

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Haha I appreciate the straight dope. I want to give RU a shot but I can't see myself keeping up with a topical regimen. Scalp DHT should be my target you're right. @IdealForehead seems to be having success with topical darolutamide (I think that's what it's called? ) that sounds promising but very expensive.
Darolutamide is super f*****g strong. Way stronger than RU. Goddamnit, it's like another monthly car payment if you add daro to your regimen. f***. I'm thinking about throwing in the towel and becoming a male stripper. I recently started RU, about two weeks in, too early to really see cosmetically significant results, but I think it's absolutely necessary for aggressive hairloss sufferers to have a topical anti-androgen if you're not taking sufficient oral meds to combat your androgens systematically.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Darolutamide is super f*****g strong. Way stronger than RU. Goddamnit, it's like another monthly car payment if you add daro to your regimen. f***. I'm thinking about throwing in the towel and becoming a male stripper. I recently started RU, about two weeks in, too early to really see cosmetically significant results, but I think it's absolutely necessary for aggressive hairloss sufferers to have a topical anti-androgen if you're not taking sufficient oral meds to combat your androgens systematically.
Make your money while you can bro, bald strippers aren't exactly a main attraction. I hope I figure something out, the more suggestions I get the better.

Last edited:

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am so confused as I was losing my hair fast while on finasteride and I still am now that I'm off it with noticeable hair fall.

I totally 100% understand your feeling man. I lost hair QUICK on finasteride. quicker than i ever had in my life. Even at 33 I had decently thick hair... but one year on finasteride and I lost half of it. When I quit? it started to fall out EVEN faster!! Don't know what to tell you man.

My theory is that there are a LOT of different things going on. For me, I think that 1) finasteride caused Telogen Effluvium which caused rapid hair loss, but the decrease in DHT somewhat helped maybe balance it out a bit and then 2) the decrease in DHT caused rapid increase in AR and serum testosterone which when you quit 3) completely fucks you. because now you have normal DHT and a million more receptors and maybe still increased test, like I have.

You could consider microdosing finasteride. Perhaps it won't cause Telogen Effluvium if the doses are extremely small or you could consider RU to bind some of the receptors... don't know.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I totally 100% understand your feeling man. I lost hair QUICK on finasteride. quicker than i ever had in my life. Even at 33 I had decently thick hair... but one year on finasteride and I lost half of it. When I quit? it started to fall out EVEN faster!! Don't know what to tell you man.

My theory is that there are a LOT of different things going on. For me, I think that 1) finasteride caused Telogen Effluvium which caused rapid hair loss, but the decrease in DHT somewhat helped maybe balance it out a bit and then 2) the decrease in DHT caused rapid increase in AR and serum testosterone which when you quit 3) completely fucks you. because now you have normal DHT and a million more receptors and maybe still increased test, like I have.

You could consider microdosing finasteride. Perhaps it won't cause Telogen Effluvium if the doses are extremely small or you could consider RU to bind some of the receptors... don't know.
Appreciate the advice dude, it sucks how this seems to be reported often but gets quickly brushed under the rug. I never had heard of androgen up regulation until I was already on finasteride and that scared the crap out of me. I've been shedding for over a month now. It's not bad shedding but when you go from shedding the odd hair here or there to dozens it is pretty alarming.. I hope that if my AR's have been up regulated that they go back down eventually, not sure if that's possible or not but either way I'm scared. I will give it a couple of months to just observe my situation then maybe do as you suggested and micro dose finasteride. Probably try and get my hands on an affordable topical anti androgen too. f*** this sh*t I am so done right now.

IdealForehead

My Regimen
Reaction score

Not SUPER expensive but I guess not necessarily cheap.

$500 for 1 gram.
$2000 for 5 grams.

At $500 for 1 gram, I'm using a pretty high dose of 6 mg a day, which works out to a 166 day supply and $3 per day.

Plus I have to pay for Kirkland minoxidil to mix into but that stuff is dirt cheap and I'd be using it either way.

An extra $3/day to keep your hair = $1100 per year.

Much cheaper than a transplant or PRP or other measures.

The bigger thing that should worry people is the unknown long term side effects of mild possible systemic androgenic blockade. I plan to reduce my dose in 6-12 months.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score

$500 for 1 gram.
$2000 for 5 grams.

At $500 for 1 gram, I'm using a pretty high dose of 6 mg a day, which works out to a 166 day supply and $3 per day.

Plus I have to pay for Kirkland minoxidil to mix into but that stuff is dirt cheap and I'd be using it either way.

The bigger thing that should worry people is the unknown long term side effects of mild possible systemic androgenic blockade. I plan to reduce my dose in 6-12 months.
I don't mind longterm anti androgenic sides.. But the price is beyond my budget unfortunately. Please keep us updated @IdealForehead because you're the only person I know using topically. How much do you think minoxidil has helped?

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Hey all, I was on finasteride for a whole year and only deteriorated fast at the front. I've been off it for maybe a month and a half now. I initially had good success with oral minoxidil but since dropping finasteride Ive lost my gains (I'm almost 5 months in)
I am so confused as I was losing my hair fast while on finasteride and I still am now that I'm off it with noticeable hair fall. I'm almost tempted to get back on it, but I'm afraid of a repeat of last time. I'm even considering dutasteride at this point. I'm so lost right now guys, any help?
Andy, you have to understand if you still lose hair on finasteride it just means you are not a great responder. If you have upregulation you would have very oil skin and get acne. Did you get that? Finasteride works best with minoxidil. Just remember that.

IdealForehead

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't mind longterm anti androgenic sides.. But the price is beyond my budget unfortunately. Please keep us updated @IdealForehead because you're the only person I know using topically. How much do you think minoxidil has helped?

Definitely I think minoxidil helps. But impossible to quantify. Minoxidil is the only really well proven growth stimulant with have. Anti-androgen + minoxidil is part of the standard approach everyone I've seen with major success uses.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Andy, you have to understand if you still lose hair on finasteride it just means you are not a great responder. If you have upregulation you would have very oil skin and get acne. Did you get that? Finasteride works best with minoxidil. Just remember that.
Thanks for the reply man, I've always had oily skin, when I tried spironolactone that went away but I shed bad.. I when I dropped spironolactone and finasteride my shed started again. I I will reply properly tomorrow because I'm very drunk and can't read properly right now. I will get back to you tomorrow. I goodnight!

can'tBeatNature

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

$500 for 1 gram.
$2000 for 5 grams.

Please document your progress. That would be amazing for the community.

Recon_s

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Darolutamide has not worked for anyone be mindful of what you say, in a forum full of desperate people trying to battle hair loss we are too quick to jump on something that hasnt been tested properly or yielded good results from our members trialing and often neglecting the unknown/known side effects

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is Daronconsidered a more dangerous or safer alternative to topical Finasteride and RU?

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is Daronconsidered a more dangerous or safer alternative to topical Finasteride and RU?
No clue but Ive decided to start finasteride again and I'm adding in topical estrogen to protect my hair line. Hopefully this change will yield results.