My Zix Experience - How B6 And Zinc Have Saved My Hair

MikeJay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I read this post months ago and started to use Zix, it's been about 3 months of use and I've had terrible shedding. I think this is the only treatment that's ever made me shed. There are probably 20 hairs in the sink everytime I apply it. I haven't ever seen shedding like this and I've tried everything (currently on finasteride) and been fighting hair loss for about 30 years. Overall my hair is thinner than it's ever been after starting Zix. Just wondering if this is normal and I should keep going or should I stop?
i presume zinc is not good for hair.. and so are any minerals or metals

JWM2

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey JWM I remember you too! I really loved those early days of the hairlosshelp forum. There were some great guys there like troymaclure, zimmy, tommyboy, uglyman4life, sideshowbob, and remember rammer with the parrot avatar? That guy was always freaking out over his hairloss and totally disregarded what everyone told him when they tried to calm him down. I hope he's ok because he seemed a bit unhinged. Back in the early 2000's I didn't have the internet at home so I spent most of my day at work (in an office) sneakily posting on the forum. I was in my mid-20's and my hairloss was really getting me down at that time and that forum was a lifesaver for me, not only as an emotional support but the sharing of information and experiences. I attribute my successfully holding on to my hair for the past 20 years primarily to the knowledge shared in that forum. Too bad it eventually went downhill.

As for me well, l've changed up my regimen quite a bit over the years but I've always stuck to minoxidil (as Ozbrew) since for me, that was what made the biggest difference.

Right now my regimen quite simply is:

minoxidil 1-2 a day
Dermarolling every 1-2 weeks (1.5mm dermaroller)

I started dermarolling in May 2020 and I noticed an immediate difference. For me it's a gamechanger and, like minoxidil, is undroppable. I saw a response immediately. From the first time I started rolling I noticed my hair was stood up stronger, like on a good hair day. The biggest difference was on my crown and within a couple of months the thinning had been reversed. I had always held onto my crown hair, but it goes through phases of getting thinner and thicker. But with dermarolling it got and stayed thicker. The hairline also responded ok with some new vellus hair, but I don't think it was every going to regrow what was lost. I think it did however strengthen the existing hair.

Like I said, earlier this year I got a 1,600 graft hair transplant on my hairline. I'm at month 7 and while not thrilled with the results so far, at least it's not a botched job. I didn't do my due diligence in picking the right surgeon and think there were much better ones out there, but I did it in a bit of a hurry (thinking more lockdowns and travel bans were imminent) so I went with the most practical one for my circumstances.

So I'm looking to start Zix again because I did have success with it; I guess, so much so that I stopped using it. But combatting hairloss is an eternal game of tug-of-war and so I'm returning to it because I'm confident it will help. I just made up my first batch yesterday and started using it, so I'm hoping I will strengthen my gains.

Here are a couple of pics. The first is from before my hair transplant. The second is from last month, 7 months after my hair transplant. Considering I started battle hairloss 22 years ago, you can imagine how satisfied I am that I've made it this far with a relatively decent head of hair (and with an older brother that is complete horseshoe)
Yeah, those were the good old days!

Are you no longer on Finasteride? Just minoxidil and dermarolling? What brand of minoxidil are you using, and what's your dermarolling protocol?

jambap

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, those were the good old days!

Are you no longer on Finasteride? Just minoxidil and dermarolling? What brand of minoxidil are you using, and what's your dermarolling protocol?
No, I didn't want to use finasteride over a prolonged period. So I dropped it about 7 years ago. minoxidil on its own isn't going to be enough. Zix worked for me back in the day, and dermarollling definitely works. So I intend to make my long term regimen, minoxidil, Zix and Dermarolling. And I'm using the same old generic Kirkland that I've always used.

Dermarolling protocol is: use a 1.5mm dermaroller once a week and roll medium-gently over all areas of scalp susceptible to hairloss. It takes less than 5 minutes and draws a bit of blood but stops immediately and I rinse my head with cool water. Scalp is reddish for a couple of days but no one else notices but me. The biggest drawback I'd say is the flaking that's comparable to sunburn peel after a few days. But it's a necessary evil and isn't an issue as I scrub the scalp in the shower and get the dead skin off there. But if I start scraping at my scalp at other times of day I can end up with lots of flakes on my shoulders which no one wants. But the benefits far outweigh the cons.

JWM2

Established Member
Reaction score
No, I didn't want to use finasteride over a prolonged period. So I dropped it about 7 years ago. minoxidil on its own isn't going to be enough. Zix worked for me back in the day, and dermarollling definitely works. So I intend to make my long term regimen, minoxidil, Zix and Dermarolling. And I'm using the same old generic Kirkland that I've always used.

Dermarolling protocol is: use a 1.5mm dermaroller once a week and roll medium-gently over all areas of scalp susceptible to hairloss. It takes less than 5 minutes and draws a bit of blood but stops immediately and I rinse my head with cool water. Scalp is reddish for a couple of days but no one else notices but me. The biggest drawback I'd say is the flaking that's comparable to sunburn peel after a few days. But it's a necessary evil and isn't an issue as I scrub the scalp in the shower and get the dead skin off there. But if I start scraping at my scalp at other times of day I can end up with lots of flakes on my shoulders which no one wants. But the benefits far outweigh the cons.
Great! Sounds like it's working for you. Do you skip minoxidil on the day you dermaroll?

jambap

My Regimen
Reaction score
Great! Sounds like it's working for you. Do you skip minoxidil on the day you dermaroll?
No, I apply minoxidil about an hour after I dermaroll. I'm under the impression that's what gives minoxidil maximum absorption. There are a lot of varying opinions on it but I opt for doing it that way. It's been 2 and a half years and I've not had any problems with that, only good results.

fugged

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It may just be in my head, but it's like im seeing a number of hairs in the form on black dots are begging to burst out and fill in my hairline. a month back I was wondering if it was just too late for my hairline. More and more with every day that passes Im starting to get more optimistic I may regain the better part of a 1 cm back on my hairline. Everything is much thicker. At my age time cant go slow enough, but at the same time, Im excited to see where Im at in a month to a month and a half.

I really hesitated to start minoxidil on top of Zix (contraindicated by Joe), and then add microneedling, but it seems to have been the best decision Ive made. I really think Zix is a must to prevent DHT in scalp and maintain the gains from needled minoxidil.
Worm didn't you add something a few months or a year ago to your Zix? I cant remember but pretty sure you did, do you remember that? Still doing that or no?

Southcity94

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys, was just wondering if anyone still using Zix? Does it really help maintain or at least slowing down the thinning?
Used it some years ago but stopped to try something different. Now im considering giving it a second shot. Would appreciate some feedback.

inmyhead

Reaction score
Hey guys, was just wondering if anyone still using Zix? Does it really help maintain or at least slowing down the thinning?
Used it some years ago but stopped to try something different. Now im considering giving it a second shot. Would appreciate some feedback.
it works if you don't have male pattern baldness

Southcity94

My Regimen
Reaction score
With the recent news about the HMI115 being promising in providing regrowth by decreasing/blocking prolactine, maybe the B6 P5P has Something to do with the effects of Zix and not the Zinc. P5P is known to regulate prolactine...

adrob76

Reaction score
Hey Jambap / JWM - I'm the poster formerly known as Troymaclure (couldn't login under that name here, forgot my details). Anyway, I was really chuffed to see you guys posting on here, and reminiscing about the old days - I don't think I could have got through those times without you all.

Jambap how has the Zix been working out for you?

jambap

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey Jambap / JWM - I'm the poster formerly known as Troymaclure (couldn't login under that name here, forgot my details). Anyway, I was really chuffed to see you guys posting on here, and reminiscing about the old days - I don't think I could have got through those times without you all.

Jambap how has the Zix been working out for you?
Hmmm, troymaclure... nah sorry that name doesn't ring a bell. Maybe you're thinking of reddit or something.

heh, just kidding, and seeing as I mentioned your name in my earlier post it was hardly going to fool you. Mate, it's such a thrill to see you here. You were a legend on hairlosshelp. Such a great sense of humour and always really balanced and logical. I think "based" is the word the kids would use nowadays. Yeah, there was something special about those days and how internet forums worked back then. It was a bit like the wild west where anything went (kind of) but despite some threads getting out of control we forged some really great relationships and I think we all helped each other get through a pretty dark path we had to walk.

As for Zix... well what can I say... things are going great even since I last posted here. On another forum I found a guy who recommended adding Betadine to dermarolling which I believe has also added a formidable weapon to my arsenal. So I dermroll once a week and I apply straight Betadine right after and the next day. But I also put in a capful of Betadine to my bottle of Zix and I don't know whether that is making the difference or the straight Betadine alone. Mucking around like this ends up becoming like George's Marvellous Medicine and you can lose track of exactly what works, BUT, I can see that my regimen now IS working and so I'm sticking with it. As an example of how well it's working, a few months ago when I first started Zix and Betadine I contacted a hair transplant surgeon to do a 2nd hair transplant for thickening at the hairline. From the photos I sent he said he would also do the crown to thicken it up too. Well I went and booked my hair transplant about 3 weeks ago and I sent him the latest photos and he said he doesn't need to bother with the crown he'll just do the hairline and save my grafts. Now, if that's not proof of my regimen working I don't know what is. So here's my regimen:

Ozbrew 2 x day
Zix (with Betadine) 2 x day
Dermarolling 1 x week
Betadine (1ml with eyedropper) 2 x week (one straight after Dermarolling and once the next day)

Feel free to ask anything else you want.

How about you buddy? How's your hair situation and life in general?

cloudsanrain

Established Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, troymaclure... nah sorry that name doesn't ring a bell. Maybe you're thinking of reddit or something.

heh, just kidding, and seeing as I mentioned your name in my earlier post it was hardly going to fool you. Mate, it's such a thrill to see you here. You were a legend on hairlosshelp. Such a great sense of humour and always really balanced and logical. I think "based" is the word the kids would use nowadays. Yeah, there was something special about those days and how internet forums worked back then. It was a bit like the wild west where anything went (kind of) but despite some threads getting out of control we forged some really great relationships and I think we all helped each other get through a pretty dark path we had to walk.

As for Zix... well what can I say... things are going great even since I last posted here. On another forum I found a guy who recommended adding Betadine to dermarolling which I believe has also added a formidable weapon to my arsenal. So I dermroll once a week and I apply straight Betadine right after and the next day. But I also put in a capful of Betadine to my bottle of Zix and I don't know whether that is making the difference or the straight Betadine alone. Mucking around like this ends up becoming like George's Marvellous Medicine and you can lose track of exactly what works, BUT, I can see that my regimen now IS working and so I'm sticking with it. As an example of how well it's working, a few months ago when I first started Zix and Betadine I contacted a hair transplant surgeon to do a 2nd hair transplant for thickening at the hairline. From the photos I sent he said he would also do the crown to thicken it up too. Well I went and booked my hair transplant about 3 weeks ago and I sent him the latest photos and he said he doesn't need to bother with the crown he'll just do the hairline and save my grafts. Now, if that's not proof of my regimen working I don't know what is. So here's my regimen:

Ozbrew 2 x day
Zix (with Betadine) 2 x day
Dermarolling 1 x week
Betadine (1ml with eyedropper) 2 x week (one straight after Dermarolling and once the next day)

Feel free to ask anything else you want.

How about you buddy? How's your hair situation and life in general?
Do you use minoxidil with the betadine zix ? Also are you applying minoxidil straight after the betadine when derma rolling and the next day also can you give me the website an tread you got the info from ?

Last edited:

jambap

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you use minoxidil with the betadine zix ? Also are you applying minoxidil straight after the betadine when derma rolling and the next day also can you give me the website an tread you got the info from ?
Yes. So I dermaroll, then I apply Betadine straight after. Then I apply minoxidil an hour later. I don't use Zix on the same day. I use it 24 hours later.

So for example... on Wednesday evening I have a shower, after I dermaroll then I apply Betadine then an hour later I apply minoxidil. The next morning I apply Betadine again, then minoxidil again. Then the following evening I go back to my usual minoxidil then Zix routine twice daily til the following Wednesday.

Here are a couple of links that I learned more about it. I can tell you that I use that info to make my own regimen, I don't do exactly what they say. The first is from reddit. The 2nd is some guy who claims to have done it with success. I'm convinced by it but it's up to you if you do and I can't stress enough how little of a sh*t I give if you don't believe me. Use your own powers perception to navigate your own path.

cloudsanrain

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes. So I dermaroll, then I apply Betadine straight after. Then I apply minoxidil an hour later. I don't use Zix on the same day. I use it 24 hours later.

So for example... on Wednesday evening I have a shower, after I dermaroll then I apply Betadine then an hour later I apply minoxidil. The next morning I apply Betadine again, then minoxidil again. Then the following evening I go back to my usual minoxidil then Zix routine twice daily til the following Wednesday.

Here are a couple of links that I learned more about it. I can tell you that I use that info to make my own regimen, I don't do exactly what they say. The first is from reddit. The 2nd is some guy who claims to have done it with success. I'm convinced by it but it's up to you if you do and I can't stress enough how little of a sh*t I give if you don't believe me. Use your own powers perception to navigate your own path.

Thanks Jambap . I am going to give this a try . I will let you how it's going .

jambap

My Regimen
Reaction score
Because I already have a full head of hair the dark colour doesn't bother me because it's hidden in the hair. It actually helps hide the thinner areas. On top of that I love how it gets stiff when it dries which is why it is the antidote to the greasiness of Minoxidil. So for me it's has multiple benefits