My Zix Experience - How B6 And Zinc Have Saved My Hair

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm still trying to recover from my Zix / Copper experiment.

I've been having severe eye pressure and headaches for a week now despite discontinuing all treatments.
Either I developed heavy metal poisoning from impure eBay powders, or I screwed up my zinc - copper ratio.
I am eating high copper foods and it seems to help a bit but I am skeptical that it will fix this entirely. I've already scheduled for an ophthalmologist next week just in case I have high eye pressure all of a sudden.

f***'s sake, this was supposed to be a simple topical experiment.

I didnt realize you were using copper... How have you been using it?

Copper counterbalances zinc, and may actually have the opposite effect on your scalp, hence may cause shedding...

I believe copper can be toxic if you take/use too much.

When, how and why are you using copper?

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
This goes out to everyone, I only recommend zinc and b6. I appreciate that you guys are motivated to supercharge zix, but the study only showed effectiveness with zinc and b6, adding anything else to it, may render if completely ineffective and may cause you to shed more.

I find zix can be very finicky, that's why I think adding things can sometimes do more harm than good.

For the sake of seeing how it goes, please simply use zinc and b6. Anything you do beyond that I do not recommend.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
I didnt realize you were using copper... How have you been using it?

Copper counterbalances zinc, and may actually have the opposite effect on your scalp, hence may cause shedding...

I believe copper can be toxic if you take/use too much.

When, how and why are you using copper?

I was only using it for 2 days, copper chloride dihydrate. I use it because it inhibits Type II reductase and I wanted to try it topically.
But, the whole problem started after adding B6, I was fine with the copper prior to that.
Now I stopped everything and then I will only add one thing at a time.

That is my message: ONLY ADD ONE THING TO YOUR REGIMEN AT A TIME AND WAIT 2-3 MONTHS BEFORE YOU ADD ANOTHER.

I know people are impatient but otherwise you get a situation like this when something bad happens and you don't know what is safe anymore and what isn't, and have to drop everything until you get back to normal.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was only using it for 2 days, copper chloride dihydrate. I use it because it inhibits Type II reductase and I wanted to try it topically.
But, the whole problem started after adding B6, I was fine with the copper prior to that.
Now I stopped everything and then I will only add one thing at a time.

That is my message: ONLY ADD ONE THING TO YOUR REGIMEN AT A TIME AND WAIT 2-3 MONTHS BEFORE YOU ADD ANOTHER.

I know people are impatient but otherwise you get a situation like this when something bad happens and you don't know what is safe anymore and what isn't, and have to drop everything until you get back to normal.
Are youvstill using Alpicort?

Swiss_Tampons

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been having severe eye pressure

f*** man,that's awful. You should call your dealer immediately if you haven't filled up your stash yet, and start smoking/vaping/eating LOTS of weed all day long. No joke.

Wanheda

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That's good to hear, and thank you for updating. The smell is not bad, but it's not great. I think it wears off after a few mins, I think it's mostly due to the alcohol.

I would not mix fragrance in it, it may make it ineffective. Maybe once it's dried you can use a small amount of fragranced dry shampoo if the odour is too unpleasant.
No worries, and I will stop by and update once I have more to report. Dry shampoo is an excellent idea as this is something I've seen him buy before so he can try that. Thanks.

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is all very interesting, I've had a real increase in shedding recently which has coincided with an increased itch on my scalp. I'm going to give this a try to bring down the itch and bring down the shedding.
Cheers of the info on here, lets have a go at this.

zixxiz

My Regimen
Reaction score
Please remind me of what concentrations you're using again.?

I've just made a new batch yesterday. 80ml total. 10% alcohol. 3x220mg Zinc Sulfate, 2x50mg B6 (will probably add another pill later in the week). I'm kinda worried that we, new Zix users, might be using too high of a Zn/B6 dose because you probably used way less of both when you first started out, right? I don't want to be on 6x220mg for the same volume by Christmas.

Having approx. 5inch/13cm long hair...it's really hard to assess the effect of Zix had on my hair so far (2 1/2 weeks, I believe). I'm still shedding A LOT, but I haven't had my hair cut since August..so I assume I'll be able to tell better once I visit my hairdresser later this week.

Maybe, but this could be placebo as well, my hair feels/looks a bit less lifeless than it has 3 weeks ago, but in terms of shedding..nothing yet.

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've just made a new batch yesterday. 80ml total. 10% alcohol. 3x220mg Zinc Sulfate, 2x50mg B6 (will probably add another pill later in the week). I'm kinda worried that we, new Zix users, might be using too high of a Zn/B6 dose because you probably used way less of both when you first started out, right? I don't want to be on 6x220mg for the same volume by Christmas.

Having approx. 5inch/13cm long hair...it's really hard to assess the effect of Zix had on my hair so far (2 1/2 weeks, I believe). I'm still shedding A LOT, but I haven't had my hair cut since August..so I assume I'll be able to tell better once I visit my hairdresser later this week.

Maybe, but this could be placebo as well, my hair feels/looks a bit less lifeless than it has 3 weeks ago, but in terms of shedding..nothing yet.

Youre right, I did start off with a lower concentration and it did have an effect early on. I did bump up my zinc by double or triple early on though, say 1-2 months in.

Has your shedding increased, decreased or is about the same?

Thanks for reporting.

bunchies

Reaction score
Go gently on the stuff, one month of reduced zinc in the formula isn't going to cost you that much hair.
I started off with the original Joe formula (1 zinc tablet in 120ml) and applied it only once every day. Then I bumped it up to 2 times a day and then added an extra tablet after a month or so. Now I put 3 tablets per 120ml after 3 months of use and I will be staying at that concentration for a while. I kept the B6 concentration like the original Joe formula.

Chocolate Lebron

My Regimen
Reaction score
Go gently on the stuff, one month of reduced zinc in the formula isn't going to cost you that much hair.
I started off with the original Joe formula (1 zinc tablet in 120ml) and applied it only once every day. Then I bumped it up to 2 times a day and then added an extra tablet after a month or so. Now I put 3 tablets per 120ml after 3 months of use and I will be staying at that concentration for a while. I kept the B6 concentration like the original Joe formula.
How is zix working for you ?

bunchies

Reaction score
How is zix working for you ?

Can't say for sure but my situation hasn't gotten worse. My temples have been receding for the last couple of years but slowly. I don't shed crazy and don't have the male pattern baldness itch, never have really. I think people with diffused pattern or just thinned hair in general will notice results faster than me since I still have quite some hair left :). Besides it's only been 3 months and people on finasteride and minoxidil generally only notice results at 4-6+ months. And those treatments are "hardcore".

br1

Reaction score
Why's the alcohol in the mix?
To help absorption?

ps.: i've all my ingredients, will start it this weekend. :D

Chocolate Lebron

My Regimen
Reaction score
Can't say for sure but my situation hasn't gotten worse. My temples have been receding for the last couple of years but slowly. I don't shed crazy and don't have the male pattern baldness itch, never have really. I think people with diffused pattern or just thinned hair in general will notice results faster than me since I still have quite some hair left :). Besides it's only been 3 months and people on finasteride and minoxidil generally only notice results at 4-6+ months. And those treatments are "hardcore".
Cheers buddie yeah I think I'm in a similar boat still got a fair thick head but receding slowly..might add minoxidil with the zix at some point

InfamousOne

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am getting a lot of these suggestions, it could be that it helps, but I find that the formula i use is effective enough for me not to want to mess around with it. I dont want to potentially ruin my formula by mixing something that may counteract the benefits.

Have you tried the zix alone?

Yeah, I'm currently using Zix alone. The only reason I wanted to add green tea extract is because of EGCG. It's been shown to promote hair growth, in addition to regulate PDG2 which is elevated in balding scalp. The reason I wanted to add it is because the experiement used ethanol as the vehicle, and since we're already doing that with Zix, it's better than making a second formula.

In regards to Zix, I'm using it and so far it's been a godsent. The first (and current) bottle I made was using 20ml distilled water, 2X 220mg/zinc, 150 mg b6 (3 X 50mg) and 5ml Ethyl alcohol. I didn't want to add too much alcohol because I wanted to see how I would respond to it. Anyway, it has severely reduced my scalp itch, at times making it non-existent. Which is amazing, considering my scalp itch has been non-stop since I discovered I was balding (September-October 2016). It was weird, it might be psychological, because I was getting a routine haircut and my barber asked what I wanted, if I wanted the usual. I said no, try to leave the top as it is, because "I want to grow out my hair before I go bald to know how it looks", and he replies "I don't think you're balding... I just think your hair is thinner back here." Wait...what? LOL. That innocent comment completely changed everything. As soon as I got home, I went to the mirror, pulled a mirror behind my head and looked...and sure enough, a bald spot was forming. The hair was thin and I could see my scalp... and at that exact moment I started getting scalp itch, and it never stopped. I don't know how to explain that.

Anyway, after taking Zix, for the first time since that moment... the itch went away. I don't take Zix twice a day/every day anymore because I find that it gives me a headache. Maybe I'm putting too much of a concentration on one spot (the thinning spot, 90% of the 1ml I apply goes there). I'm guessing it might be the Ethyl alcohol. So, I just apply it when the itch returns (like right now, just applied it 10 mins ago)... before that, I had almost a week of no itch, which was a miracle. Even if it's just placebo, the itch going away is half the battle for me. It helps me forget about what's happening and stop being obsessed about it.

For my next concentration, I'm going to try to lower the concentration of Ethyl alcohol so maybe I can use it every day. Maybe 1ml, as that was what was used in the Green Tea experiment and it garnered results. Anyway, please keep this thread running for a long time and stay active. My only regret so far is not finding/using this thread the moment I got that itch. Since the day I discovered I was balding to today I probably lost more hair than I did the 3 years prior. It's like when I knew I was balding, my body just expedited everything... looking back at pictures of the moment I first saw it, it wasn't that bad. It's almost doubled in size since... because it's recent, I hope I can thicken/get some of the hair back. We'll see. That's why I want to try green tea as well, cover every avenue. But, I'll stick with this for 6-8 months and see what happens. Even Finasteride takes a year to fully see results, so I can't expect immediate results for this.

I hope you continue to stay active and keep up this awareness thread!

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
The first (and current) bottle I made was using 20ml distilled water, 2X 220mg/zinc, 150 mg b6 (3 X 50mg) and 5ml Ethyl alcohol. I didn't want to add too much alcohol because I wanted to see how I would respond to

Thanks for the report. I recommend 40-45 mls distilled and 15mls alcohol. Your concentration is very high, I would use 3 to 4 capsules of zinc in that volume though. That said I'm happy your itch is going away. Have u noticed less shedding?

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
I find that both copper chloride and Zix give me serious headaches and eye pressure.

I've decided to drop them both for the time being (the copper wasn't doing sh*t anyway), and then once I am sure that all the symptoms are gone, I am going to try re-adding Zix mixed in only water (without the ethanol).

I noticed poster above mentioning headaches as well. No idea what is causing them. It could be the alcohol but I doubt it. I've made other mixtures with ethanol and they don't cause this type of reaction, although I've usually balanced them with some propylene glycol as well. Hmmm.

Seems more likely that we are using a hell of a lot of Zinc, perhaps it is causing some disturbances as too much is being pulled in around the brain area. I have no clue, it's pretty strange.

InfamousOne

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the report. I recommend 40-45 mls distilled and 15mls alcohol. Your concentration is very high, I would use 3 to 4 capsules of zinc in that volume though. That said I'm happy your itch is going away. Have u noticed less shedding?

I thought I followed the formula on the first page minus the Ethyl. Just looked back and realized it said 40ml of distilled water. I don't recall if I added 40ml or 20ml. For the next one I'll start with 1ml of ethyl because I can always add more, can't remove it and go down though.

In regards to shedding, can't really tell. I don't really shed yet, at least not a noticeable amount. I lose maybe 10-12 hairs in the shower. More depending on how long or hard I rub the shampoo, but I always thought that was normal. Then again, I've read about people who take Finasteride say that they don't lose a single hair in the shower, so maybe it is shedding? I thought you were naturally supposed to shed 100 hairs a day, so I'm not sure what to make of it.

You were on finasteride right? Did you shed absolutely no hair on it? Aren't you supposed to lose hair naturally (to start a new cycle)? At what point is it considered shedding?

resu

Reaction score
I find that both copper chloride and Zix give me serious headaches and eye pressure.

I've decided to drop them both for the time being (the copper wasn't doing sh*t anyway), and then once I am sure that all the symptoms are gone, I am going to try re-adding Zix mixed in only water (without the ethanol).

I noticed poster above mentioning headaches as well. No idea what is causing them. It could be the alcohol but I doubt it. I've made other mixtures with ethanol and they don't cause this type of reaction, although I've usually balanced them with some propylene glycol as well. Hmmm.

Seems more likely that we are using a hell of a lot of Zinc, perhaps it is causing some disturbances as too much is being pulled in around the brain area. I have no clue, it's pretty strange.

Some of the side-effects: