My success and goals for the future

masontrc

Reaction score
Note: I realize I made a similar post in another forum and will modify if I'm breaking any forum rules.

My name is is Tristan and I am a 22-year-old college student. I started noticing my hair loss two years ago and was devastated. At first, I denied it because I believed hair loss could only occur in middle age; my dad and my uncles did not experience hair loss until their early to late 30s so I thought it was all in my imagination. But the more I ignored my hair loss, the more noticeable it became. By the time I acknowledged it, my hairline had already rapidly receded in the front.

I did everything I could to hide my hair loss. I cut my hair very thin, wore hats, and took pictures without the flash. I was fooling no one. Once my friends and family started to talk about my hair loss, I decided to take action. Since August of 2010, I have been using rogaine liquid and have had tremendous success. I have been fortunate enough to regrow most of the hair on the top of my head. Even more amazingly, rogaine liquid has helped me regrow my hairline!

I'm not here to brag but to maybe bring hope to those who experience the embarrassment and hopelessness of hair loss that I felt for so long.

Attachments

• before-after 1.jpg
    before-after 1.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 814
  • update June 2011.jpg
    update June 2011.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 587
  • update 4.png
    update 4.png
    805.2 KB · Views: 714
  • update 5.png
    update 5.png
    681 KB · Views: 744
  • 2009-2011.png
    2009-2011.png
    720.5 KB · Views: 626
  • 2009-2011 2.png
    2009-2011 2.png
    807.9 KB · Views: 721

terrapin12

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking a lot better man, I'm only 20 myself, but the Rogaine is doing a good job holding me up. Did you at any point use the foam beforehand? I started using it because it's convenient, but I'm thinking about switching back to liquid because I've heard it's more effective (or at least half and half). Using anything else?

masontrc

Reaction score
terrapin12 said:
Looking a lot better man, I'm only 20 myself, but the Rogaine is doing a good job holding me up. Did you at any point use the foam beforehand? I started using it because it's convenient, but I'm thinking about switching back to liquid because I've heard it's more effective (or at least half and half). Using anything else?

Nopee these results are strictly Rogaine liquid. I've been curious about Rogaine foam so I might incorporate some for the rest of year 1. I just don't want to add anything that's counterproductive at this point.

KDHT

Reaction score
Thats totally UNREAL man. And you're not even on finasteride.

See thats why I feel that no one can explain why each individual responds differently to treatments.

For me finasteride did zilch. and minoxidil gave sides (dark circles, bloated face).

I am giving minoxidil another go with nanominox.

Can you please advise if you felt any of the minoxidil sides like, dizziness, bloated face, rapid heart beat etc.

masontrc

Reaction score
icdalite_v said:
Thats totally UNREAL man. And you're not even on finasteride.

See thats why I feel that no one can explain why each individual responds differently to treatments.

For me finasteride did zilch. and minoxidil gave sides (dark circles, bloated face).

I am giving minoxidil another go with nanominox.

Can you please advise if you felt any of the minoxidil sides like, dizziness, bloated face, rapid heart beat etc.

Haha I know, I'm still in disbelief of how well just minoxidil works for me. I suggested rogaine to a good friend of my mine who is worried about his hair loss. But he is black and I'm not sure how well rogaine works on this type of hair. It will be interesting to see his individual progress if he tries some.

I experienced few side effects-the occasional itchiness of the scalp and the change of color in hair. You can't see in this picture but some of the new hairs that have regrown have a gray or slightly red tint. But I'd rather have gray hairs than no hairs. Never thought I'd be saying that in my early 20s! haha

For the coming months, I'll be monitoring mostly the increase in thickness of my hair and the improvement of my temple recession with just rogaine liquid. However, if I notice those things stay relatively the same, I will add something else to my regimen just as long as it's not counterproductive or does not have severe side effects.

bryan87

Reaction score
Did you hair got any thicker after the treatment? Does is still fall? Does results are amazing. Look into my thread and maybe you can give an advice. You were able to grow back everything on your temples?

masontrc

Reaction score
bryan87 said:
Did you hair got any thicker after the treatment? Does is still fall? Does results are amazing. Look into my thread and maybe you can give an advice. You were able to grow back everything on your temples?

I was able to regrow some of my hairline without specifically applying solution to that area but there is still work to be done. I've only been applying solution to the temple areas for about a month so hopefully this will speed up the regrowth process.

My hair has gotten progressively thicker as well but it's still not quite the way it used to be when I was teen. Looking at the pictures, I probably started losing hair when I was around 18 and my hair now is thicker than it was then!

As for falling, I do notice this but whatever falls out seems to be replaced by new hairs. I don't know how to explain this phenomenon but the new hairs that grow in are a slightly tinted gray or red color (one of the side effects) and I've seen lost none of those hairs.

Attachments

• Snapshot_20110411_19.jpg
    Snapshot_20110411_19.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 365
  • Snapshot_20110410_2.jpg
    Snapshot_20110410_2.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 338

Kev123

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow you had so much regrowth from when you were balding that you look like a different person. It is sad how hair loss changes everything about you, even the way your face looks, makes you look older, makes you grumpier, then in the pictures with you with hair you look younger, happier, and healthier. Thanks for sharing, and good luck on your treatment.

G k

Established Member
Reaction score
I AM AWESOME said:
Get on finasteride, man, you'll get even more incredible results!

get on finasteride or add RU or CB in a few years, when/if rogaine starts failing. I had very similar results, I gained virtually all my hair back using minoxidil 5%. But about 2-3 years after treatment it was all lost, as though minoxidil stopped becoming effective.. I would also caution you about missing more than one dose consecutively. A few times I missed 2-3 doses in a row, and it resulted in losing a lot of my gains.

Good luck u look great man. Just heed my advice.

masontrc

Reaction score
G k said:
[quote="I AM AWESOME":ifyau87w]Get on finasteride, man, you'll get even more incredible results!

get on finasteride or add RU or CB in a few years, when/if rogaine starts failing. I had very similar results, I gained virtually all my hair back using minoxidil 5%. But about 2-3 years after treatment it was all lost, as though minoxidil stopped becoming effective.. I would also caution you about missing more than one dose consecutively. A few times I missed 2-3 doses in a row, and it resulted in losing a lot of my gains.

Good luck u look great man. Just heed my advice.[/quote:ifyau87w]

Thanks for the advice, man. I've also heard that rogaine has different strengths to help prevent your body's tolerance build up. I've started with the 5% and if I notice what you did in 2-3 years or less, I will upgrade to 12.5% and 15% in addition to adding finasteride. There are a lot of different products I want to experiment with just as long as they aren't counter-effective. And I'm very OCD about my doses haha, twice a day everyday and I haven't accidentally missed one since January

RyanB

Reaction score
G k said:
[quote="I AM AWESOME":1bdivqwz]A few times I missed 2-3 doses in a row, and it resulted in losing a lot of my gains.
[/quote:1bdivqwz]

I thought you could go weeks before loosing gains?

I'm not going to be able to use it this summer and don't know what to do.

I need to be able to go 6 weeks without loosing my gains. uh oh

brandnew

Established Member
Reaction score
masontrc- awesome results!!! did you ever experience an initial shed? I did then my hair grew in thick now I am going through a second shed. I am on rogaine foam since october 2010.

Do you use any form of nizoral? What shampoos do you use?

masontrc

Reaction score
brandnew said:
masontrc- awesome results!!! did you ever experience an initial shed? I did then my hair grew in thick now I am going through a second shed. I am on rogaine foam since october 2010.

Do you use any form of nizoral? What shampoos do you use?

I experienced a very minor shed when I started in late August 2010 but this quickly subsided and it seems now that whatever hairs fall out every once in awhile are replaced with new hairs that are tinted gray/red. As far as shampoo goes, I've stuck to the Tea Tree brand and no, I've never used nizoral.

terrapin12

Established Member
Reaction score
That's awesome you're only using Rogaine, I rarely find anyone to compare my own situation to. I would be careful moving up in Rogaine % though, I know when I over applied even 5% I began to experience arrhythmia. Maintaining is really my only goal right now.

terrapin12

Established Member
Reaction score
G k said:
[quote="I AM AWESOME":28kimb97]Get on finasteride, man, you'll get even more incredible results!

Good luck u look great man. Just heed my advice.[/quote:28kimb97]

For another perspective, I can say missing as many as a 5 doses in a row never caused me any problem.

brandnew

Established Member
Reaction score
masontrc- awesome that you are only using tea tree shampoo. i had some a couple years ago... maybe I should have kept it.. haha

terrapin12- i see it says you used nizoral every 3rd day for 3 weeks. do you no longer use it?

masontrc

Reaction score
terrapin12 said:
That's awesome you're only using Rogaine, I rarely find anyone to compare my own situation to. I would be careful moving up in Rogaine % though, I know when I over applied even 5% I began to experience arrhythmia. Maintaining is really my only goal right now.

Yeah, I agree. 5% is working fine for me right now so I won't upgrade until my body builds up an immunity. The side effects have been very minimal for me so I'll take that into account as well. But after browsing the forum, I've found that generally from 2-3 years on is when this could happen. Seeing as how I'm only on about 8 months, I have some time before I have to seek alternatives.

Hate2LoseIt

Established Member
Reaction score
now come to think of it....The tea tree shampoo could also be contributing to his results being that Tea Tree is considered to be an anti-androgen.