My Pros & Cons of Drinking Minoxidil vs Tablets

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all, just wanted to chime in with some of my own input regarding this topic. First off, unless you are already using minoxidil orally I strongly recommend you rethink your decision and first seek a professional medical opinion before moving forward. I have been using minoxidil orally for almost 3 years, 1 on tablets and the rest drinking the solution from a kirkland bottle in 12.5mg doses. From my experience using both I can confidently say ( in my case ) that drinking it has worked just the same. I will attach a picture of my dropper below for reference on how I measure my doses. The first measurement line from the bottom is 0.25ml which contains 12.5mg of Minoxidil. a full 1ml contains 50mg. Below are a few Pros/Cons of each method ive noted. Please remember this is just my observation, thoughts and opinion and should not be used as a guideline or replacement for qualified medical opinions.

Tablet Pros:
Convenience
Simple to keep track of
Same dosage guaranteed

Tablet Cons:
Requires Prescription
More Expensive
Harder to source (without prescription)
Potentional fakes(without prescription)

Liquid Pros
Easy to obtain (no prescription)
Much cheaper
2 Bottles can last a year
Guaranteed legitimate minoxidil

Liquid Cons:
Harder to dose accurately
Forgetting you dosed and take more

Reading whats above you can see why I opted to switch to drinking the solution, and haven't looked back since. Also saved $$$ which is nice.Im interested to hear other oral minoxidil users experiences, thoughts and opinions, also which form of minoxidil you are taking/dosing.
Andy.

Attachments

• 20211209_152059.jpg
    20211209_152059.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 525
Last edited:

Lumalux

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been using the same method for about four months and agree with your points.
How do you know how much Minoxidil in mLs yields how many mgs? I know that a 5% solution will be 95 parts carrier and 5 parts Minoxidil. How do you convert mLs to mgs?
I have been using 5-10 drops twice a day.
The dropper from the Walmart brand that I have been using must be fatter. The 1.0 mL mark is halfway up the dropper.

Last edited:

BetaBoy

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been using the same method for about four months and agree with your points.
How do you know how much Minoxidil in mLs yields how many mgs? I know that a 5% solution will be 95 parts carrier and 5 parts Minoxidil. How do you convert mLs to mgs?
The dropper from the Walmart brand that I have been using must be fatter. The 1.0 mL mark is halfway up the dropper.
% (W/V) is percent of weight of solution in the total volume of solution. So for 5% (W/V) Minoxidil, 3.5 g of Minoxidil is contained within 60 mL of solution thus a 0.1 mL dose is equal to 5 mg of Minoxidil

Lumalux

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
% (W/V) is percent of weight of solution in the total volume of solution. So for 5% (W/V) Minoxidil, 3.5 g of Minoxidil is contained within 60 mL of solution thus a 0.1 mL dose is equal to 5 mg of Minoxidil
Thank you.

tgo007

My Regimen
Reaction score
If I use .5ml of 5% min then it will be 25mg right?

If I add .5ml of water will it be 12.5? If I add another .5ml water = 6.25mg?

If yes, so each .5ml is 6.25mg? So if that's my dosage, I just made 3 doses?

Last edited:

Lumalux

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you.
According to BetaBoy, every 0.1 mL of the 5% topical solution contains 5 mg of Minoxidil. Adding water does not change the total amount of Minoxidil; you are just lowering the concentration. You are just diluting it and increasing the volume of the solution. If you consume the whole amount, you are still ingesting 5 mg of Minoxidil.

Pay attention to how much of the 5% solution you are dispensing rather than the amount of water you are putting it in, in order to ensure you are getting the correct dose. Use the dropper as he described above and put it in however much water makes it easiest for you to drink. I typically put it in about 6 ounces of water. The Minoxidil solution is almost tasteless at that concentration.

LouisSarkozy

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all, just wanted to chime in with some of my own input regarding this topic. First off, unless you are already using minoxidil orally I strongly recommend you rethink your decision and first seek a professional medical opinion before moving forward. I have been using minoxidil orally for almost 3 years, 1 on tablets and the rest drinking the solution from a kirkland bottle in 12.5mg doses. From my experience using both I can confidently say ( in my case ) that drinking it has worked just the same. I will attach a picture of my dropper below for reference on how I measure my doses. The first measurement line from the bottom is 0.25ml which contains 12.5mg of Minoxidil. a full 1ml contains 50mg. Below are a few Pros/Cons of each method ive noted. Please remember this is just my observation, thoughts and opinion and should not be used as a guideline or replacement for qualified medical opinions.

Tablet Pros:
Convenience
Simple to keep track of
Same dosage guaranteed

Tablet Cons:
Requires Prescription
More Expensive
Harder to source (without prescription)
Potentional fakes(without prescription)

Liquid Pros
Easy to obtain (no prescription)
Much cheaper
2 Bottles can last a year
Guaranteed legitimate minoxidil

Liquid Cons:
Harder to dose accurately
Forgetting you dosed and take more

Reading whats above you can see why I opted to switch to drinking the solution, and haven't looked back since. Also saved $$$ which is nice.Im interested to hear other oral minoxidil users experiences, thoughts and opinions, also which form of minoxidil you are taking/dosing.
Andy.
still no bloating or facial sides ? thanks

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
5 to 10 drops twice daily? my god you have been using 20mg to 40mg daily. RIP HEART!

FromHairy2LarryDavid

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
wondering if you've ever considered taking it sublingually to give ur liver a break from all the hair loss meds? very informative post btw and an impressive journey overall, hope u stay active here
edit: if i ever had to get on this id most def fill the liquid into empty capsules (already do w fina) to avoid the taste

Lumalux

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
5 to 10 drops twice daily? my god you have been using 20mg to 40mg daily. RIP HEART!
I guess it has been a really high dose but I have not had any adverse side effects. Still no explosive hypertrichosis yet but some.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
No wait 0.25ml on my dropper was exactly 10 drops of minoxidill, which is exactly 12.5mg.
Every 0.25ml on the dropper is 10 drops which is 12.5mg, dropper has x4 0.25ml, 12.5mg+12.5mg+12.5mg+12.5mg equals 50mg. doesnt take a math genius to understand this, lol. if you want to use half of 12.5mg use 5 drops. if you dont get 10 drops of pure minoxidill from 0.25ml. get a new dropper lol. and btw put the drops in an empty gelatin capsule and swallow. you can buy it off amazon/ebay.

Last edited:

NW9000

Established Member
Reaction score
A few points

- Do you have a link to the graded dropper you use?

- Yes, liquid minoxidil work

- I'd add one con to liquid which is that you don't know if the drug is consistent throughout the liquid - therefore one month you might be consuming a lot less than you think, another month a lot more

- The droplet method is good except that with time the hole on the dropper gets bigger and thus droplets get bigger, so you have to recount the amount of droplets in 1 mL every month or so

Baldingtooyoung

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
wondering if you've ever considered taking it sublingually to give ur liver a break from all the hair loss meds? very informative post btw and an impressive journey overall, hope u stay active here
edit: if i ever had to get on this id most def fill the liquid into empty capsules (already do w fina) to avoid the taste
I take it sublingual. But i do not know if it works. I Just took 0.3ML (15mg) and have zero increase in heart rate whatsoever.
Oral minoxidil 5mg gave me a crazy rapid heartbeat. I am going to do 0.3ML more to see if it affects my heart rate. If it doesn't, i'll take 5mg oral tomorrow and see if that still effects my HR the same as before.
I am taking sublingual Minoxidil now for 2 weeks without the sides (bloating/eyebags) i had on oral, so I'm curious about if it is effective or not.

For all the other people:
Please buy a syringe, like wtf are you even doing? Counting drops? Haha, buy a syringe and just get 0.1ML and put it in your mouth.

LouisSarkozy

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I take it sublingual. But i do not know if it works. I Just took 0.3ML (15mg) and have zero increase in heart rate whatsoever.
Oral minoxidil 5mg gave me a crazy rapid heartbeat. I am going to do 0.3ML more to see if it affects my heart rate. If it doesn't, i'll take 5mg oral tomorrow and see if that still effects my HR the same as before.
I am taking sublingual Minoxidil now for 2 weeks without the sides (bloating/eyebags) i had on oral, so I'm curious about if it is effective or not.

For all the other people:
Please buy a syringe, like wtf are you even doing? Counting drops? Haha, buy a syringe and just get 0.1ML and put it in your mouth.
man taht's really interesting do you think could use the tablet ( i have a loniten presciption) and just let the tablet dissolve under my tongue to mimic sublingual road?

Baldingtooyoung

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
man taht's really interesting do you think could use the tablet ( i have a loniten presciption) and just let the tablet dissolve under my tongue to mimic sublingual road?
I have oral as well. 5mg under my tongue does not seem to impact heart rate and bloating whatsoever. That's also why I do not know if it works.
Just took 0.6ML topical liquid minoxidil under my tongue (no swallowing) zero change to heart rate.
I think 'i'll see results earliest in 3 months from now.

Underdog

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been taking 5mg loniten sublingual for a few months - 2.5mg am & pm. Some hairs here and there but nothing substantial. Three weeks ago decided to swallow 2.5 pm dose. A week after that I was not feeling well and took 1 Aleve (200 mg naproxen - NSAID) and Alka Seltzer (250 mg acetaminophen) daily for about 4-5 days. On the 5th day my ankles became cankles - unreal swelling and bags under my eyes. Massive fluid retention (I gained like 6-8 pounds of water). Scary stuff so I stopped the Aleve/Alka Seltzer and 2.5mg pm dose immediately. Within 3 days everything became normal and restarted the 2.5mg pm dose sublingually. So far so good. This means that swallowing 2.5mg pm dose or the Aleve/Alka Seltzer was the culprit (or both). I thought I read somewhere that OTC pain relievers + Oral minoxidil can exacerbate edema. In a week or so I will probably retry swallowing the 2.5mg pm dose to see what happens.

Baldingtooyoung

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been taking 5mg loniten sublingual for a few months - 2.5mg am & pm. Some hairs here and there but nothing substantial. Three weeks ago decided to swallow 2.5 pm dose. A week after that I was not feeling well and took 1 Aleve (200 mg naproxen - NSAID) and Alka Seltzer (250 mg acetaminophen) daily for about 4-5 days. On the 5th day my ankles became cankles - unreal swelling and bags under my eyes. Massive fluid retention (I gained like 6-8 pounds of water). Scary stuff so I stopped the Aleve/Alka Seltzer and 2.5mg pm dose immediately. Within 3 days everything became normal and restarted the 2.5mg pm dose sublingually. So far so good. This means that swallowing 2.5mg pm dose or the Aleve/Alka Seltzer was the culprit (or both). I thought I read somewhere that OTC pain relievers + Oral minoxidil can exacerbate edema. In a week or so I will probably retry swallowing the 2.5mg pm dose to see what happens.
Sounds like the same story as with me with oral. So you do not feel like it is effective sublingual? I mean 5mg is a hefty dose, if even half converts, it will give you beard/arm/head growth.

Underdog

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, I was beginning to question the sublingual effectiveness which was why I started swallowing the 2nd 2.5mg dose. I'm hoping to find the sweet spot between sublingual & ingestion to maximize benefits and minimize sides. I'm going to be experimenting for a while.

Baldingtooyoung

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, I was beginning to question the sublingual effectiveness which was why I started swallowing the 2nd 2.5mg dose. I'm hoping to find the sweet spot between sublingual & ingestion to maximize benefits and minimize sides. I'm going to be experimenting for a while.
Yeah i was thinking it's not working as well. I've read somewhere that you should stack it with vinegar or something else to absorb it better because of the PH of your saliva but I have no f*****g clue tbh about that.
I'm curious to how the doctors in Australia use it. I can buy sublingual here in Mexico too, but I do not know if the dermatologist here know how to prepare that and get it to work. I've found one doctor that gives the sublingual minxo to patients and responded on his profile, but he did not answer lol. Maybe you can try to message him to find out how we should aply it? (It would be best if all guys on the forum did this, maybe then he responds and we can set up our own trail, minoxidil without sides!!) his IG is= @drbevinbhoyrul

btw;
I just took 0.6 ML sublingual without any increase in heart rate whatsoever.
So you feel like taking liquid OR loniten under the tongue has zero effect?