My own *NEW* healthy scalp concealer!!!

chr1s

Established Member
Reaction score
There's been some talk on this forum about about using "sunless tanners" for your head in order to lessen the contrast between your scalp and your hair. Problem is that some have an orangy tint, others stink like hell, others wash off too fast in water, others have "shimmer", others rub off and others leave streaks. I'm telling you guys I have found the BEST sunless tanner there is that you can use for your scalp as well as body. Hawaiian Tropic Island Glow Daily Moisturizer tans you gradually giving a very REAL looking color while MOISTURIZING your skin at the same time. You can check it out here and read the GREAT reviews.

http://www.drugstore.com/products/p...150771&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx=BUY-PLST-0-SEARCH

I found this invention sort of by accident because I was doing a LOT of research reading reviews and testing products to find the best sunless tanner. I ordered this and was amazed by the results on the body. After the first application alone, the next day It looked like I spent 2 hours under the sun during the dead of winter. I figured, why not try this for the scalp? I started using it before rogaine foam and it wasn't until days later that I noticed that the scalp wasn't so "in your face" the way it was before. If your'e thinking about using this for the scalp let me tell you everything you need to know:

How to use:
- Use this only a few times a week along with your nightly regemine before you go to bed. Put this cream in your fingers and massage into your scalp prior to putting on any topicals. The instructions say to wash your hands right away after application so they won't turn orange. For some reason the palms of your hands may look orange but the rest of your body gets a golden bronze color. I suggest applying with a pair of latex gloves. I honestly don't see how people can deal with "hair make ups" or self-tanners without having a box of gloves around. Get the type that doctors and dentists use but 1 size larger than what your hands really are. There's no need to throw a pair out after each use I reuse 1 pair many times over and over again.

Pros:
- It tans you gradually so no need to worry about uneven application or off tone color.
- It doesn't wash off after a shower. I'm sure you could even swim in this and it will stay on.
- Does not "rub off" at all whatsoever.
- Does not stain anything.
- Not greasy or oily, dries very quickly.
- This is a moisturizer that if anything, will be nourishing your skin and scalp.
- Lasts for DAYS (unless probably if you shampoo and scrub daily).
- Very light and pleasant "green tea" scent.
- Will not interact with any other topicals or concealers.
- Sunless tanners are not harmful for you at all.
- Compared to other sunless tanner foams, sprays and lotions this is truly the best there is, trust me.
- Excellent price for amount you get.

Cons:
- Those of you not experienced with sunless tanning should note that there is no such thing as an odorless tanner. Although this tanner smells the best and the scent is very light, after a few hours you will notice a slight signature smell that ALL sunless tanners have which is a sign that it is working. The good news is that the signature smell on this product is very light unlike in other products. Honestly it does not bother me at all and I am one who is sensitive and allergic to scents. The scent may get on your pillow and you may smell it a little in the morning but it will go away.

Things to note:
- This product is excellent for diffuse thinners who have a pale white scalp shining through their hair.
- This is not a "miracle concealer cream". I still use some Toppik because Toppik provides excellent coverage but when my hair is dry(or wet), my hair really does look a lot better than if I didn't have this cream on.

CCS

Reaction score
chr1s said:
There's been some talk on this forum about about using "sunless tanners" for your head in order to lessen the contrast between your scalp and your hair. Problem is that some have an orangy tint, others stink like hell, others wash off too fast in water, others have "shimmer", others rub off and others leave streaks. I'm telling you guys I have found the BEST sunless tanner there is that you can use for your scalp as well as body. Hawaiian Tropic Island Glow Daily Moisturizer tans you gradually giving a very REAL looking color while MOISTURIZING your skin at the same time. You can check it out here and read the GREAT reviews.

http://www.drugstore.com/products/p...150771&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx=BUY-PLST-0-SEARCH

I found this invention sort of by accident because I was doing a LOT of research reading reviews and testing products to find the best sunless tanner. I ordered this and was amazed by the results on the body. After the first application alone, the next day It looked like I spent 2 hours under the sun during the dead of winter. I figured, why not try this for the scalp? I started using it before rogaine foam and it wasn't until days later that I noticed that the scalp wasn't so "in your face" the way it was before. If your'e thinking about using this for the scalp let me tell you everything you need to know:

How to use:
- Use this only a few times a week along with your nightly regemine before you go to bed. Put this cream in your fingers and massage into your scalp prior to putting on any topicals. The instructions say to wash your hands right away after application so they won't turn orange. For some reason the palms of your hands may look orange but the rest of your body gets a golden bronze color. I suggest applying with a pair of latex gloves. I honestly don't see how people can deal with "hair make ups" or self-tanners without having a box of gloves around. Get the type that doctors and dentists use but 1 size larger than what your hands really are. There's no need to throw a pair out after each use I reuse 1 pair many times over and over again.

Pros:
- It tans you gradually so no need to worry about uneven application or off tone color.
- It doesn't wash off after a shower. I'm sure you could even swim in this and it will stay on.
- Does not "rub off" at all whatsoever.
- Does not stain anything.
- Not greasy or oily, dries very quickly.
- This is a moisturizer that if anything, will be nourishing your skin and scalp.
- Lasts for DAYS (unless probably if you shampoo and scrub daily).
- Very light and pleasant "green tea" scent.
- Will not interact with any other topicals or concealers.
- Sunless tanners are not harmful for you at all.
- Compared to other sunless tanner foams, sprays and lotions this is truly the best there is, trust me.
- Excellent price for amount you get.

Cons:
- Those of you not experienced with sunless tanning should note that there is no such thing as an odorless tanner. Although this tanner smells the best and the scent is very light, after a few hours you will notice a slight signature smell that ALL sunless tanners have which is a sign that it is working. The good news is that the signature smell on this product is very light unlike in other products. Honestly it does not bother me at all and I am one who is sensitive and allergic to scents. The scent may get on your pillow and you may smell it a little in the morning but it will go away.

Things to note:
- This product is excellent for diffuse thinners who have a pale white scalp shining through their hair.
- This is not a "miracle concealer cream". I still use some Toppik because Toppik provides excellent coverage but when my hair is dry(or wet), my hair really does look a lot better than if I didn't have this cream on.

Thanks for the info. That is exactly what I need. That and a little thickening shampoo for my front and I should be good. Since my hair is 1/2 inch long, maybe I can use any good looking dye I want if I just get it on the shafts.

chr1s

Established Member
Reaction score
no problem.. let me know how the dye goes for u I never tried that, you put it around the scalp?

CCS

Reaction score
can't wait for it to arrive. I suspect it be dark enough or the perfect color to really hide it, but it should make it a lot less obvious than it is, and just look like a tan up close, and have zero hassel. I'll try to blend as close to the hair line as possible, or even get greedy and try lowering my hair line a tad

I heard Aveda Pure Abundance is the best thickening shampoo, and all natural and gentle. After I rinse my NANO out, I'll dab that stuff on the strands and leave in for a minute or so.

I just don't want to mess with toppik or dermmatch. They can be good, but you have to do it right, and still have some risks. They are better for guys who have a lot more thinning than me.

CCS

Reaction score
I don't think so. It is a colorless sugar that biochemical reacts with something deep in your skin, which gradually makes the color change. Your hair shaft would not have the same reaction. The reaction is not as deep as the follicle, though. People tan there faces with the stuff and their eye brows don't change color.

Thinning Sucks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Watch what happens, with minoxidil alcohol you will get a blotchy scalp afted a few days and will look like crap....beleive me I have tried.

CCS

Reaction score
That sucks. Is this true even after it has has 10 hours to dry?

Do you think some brands work better than others?

If minoxidil is spread well enough, and the tan is spread well enough, I think even --> uneven would violate entropy laws. But there is only one way to find out.

Thinning Sucks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It is just that the scalp sheds rapidly and the tanner is affected by the minoxidil thus with shampooing/nizoral ect it tends to not always fade well. When I use minoxidil once per day can keep most of week with too much issue but twice a day goes to hell. Looks great for a few days however. I use tanners for the frontal which looks great to help hide the white scalp.

chr1s

Established Member
Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent: What's the name of the dye you use and will you be taking pix to show the results? Also, my thinning is very light and it's only in the front really and I find that Toppik (along with the spray maximizer) works wonders and has really changed my life. I do not see how that product would work for me(or anyone) if it wasn't for that spray maximizer cap. As for Dermatch, I'd agree with you it is a bit more of a hassel and you need a certain "artsy" aspect to apply it to the scalp however, I do see it's benefits in particular situations especially if your gonna get quite wet.

MPC1919: Self tanners don't discolor your hair, if anything they *might* make very light hairs like on your face for example, a tadd bit darker, but not change color all together no. But that would most likely be the case with a bronzer not a self tanner since self tanners react with skin not hair. I've been using this on and off for the past few weeks and there's only been positive effects on my scalp so far. I have black hair btw. If you have very light blonde hair, test on a small area and see what happens. Remember that this product tans very gradually, it's not an instant different color like other tanners/bronzers. If it does darken your blonde hair, which I don't think it will, at the very least, you'll have a great self tanner body cream. Again though, I suspect this product is *ideal* for diffuse thinners with dark or black hair who have a white scalp that shines through. It lessens the contrast.

Thinning Sucks: Remember that this is a moisturizer and it's very unlike most other self tanners. This is truly different. I have been using this along with rogaine foam for the past few weeks and I've noticed no shedding, no itchyness, no blotchyness or any of the other negative effects of tanners ect.. but then again I haven't experienced any shedding or itchyness with rogaine foam so far either. I've never had the torture of using the liquid minoxidil but I hear that it is crap anyway, you should switch to the foam ASAP :)

CCS

Reaction score
I decided not to use a dye because they damage hair and the areas I thought were lighter are actually not much lighter. Rather my skin is just light there and I don't have much hair. I'm thinking of getting Aveda Pure Abundance to thinken things a little, but will wait to see what I look like after using the tanner.

I have brown hair, with maybe a copper tint. I noticed a lot of guys show scalp in the sun from many angles. I wonder if that means I should tan my whole scalp. I just hope this stuff is dark enough. I'll try to do just one side of my head so I can do this with just one picture shoot.

I'm really looking forwards to this. I think it will dramatically change my appearance, maybe more than 1000 grafts would.

CCS

Reaction score
It says on the bottle that i have to use it daily and it takes a week for the tan to appear. Smells nice, and not strong. Smells like a citrus green tea. Also has vitamins A, C, and E in it.

I put it in my hair. I'll see what happens. I went right down to the hair line.

I'll keep you guys posted. For the price, I'm not complaining. And maybe it will do better than they say. It took 2 minutes to spread everything around. I added it liberally and went back as far as I could to get everything. Feels good too.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Pics?

CCS

Reaction score
I'm not even tan yet. I'll take them. Don't worry.

CCS

Reaction score
Day two. No difference. I just made my second application to my scalp. On day one I applied it to one of my thighs, which are very white. No difference there either. The bottle does say a week, though.

Misting tans are $99 per year for full body, so I'll look into that. Not sure they can do my scalp, though.

CCS

Reaction score
Day 3.5. Ready to put on my 4th application. My thighs still look the same. The label is not kidding when it says just one applicaiton will not do anything. You got to slather this stuff on daily. I think my thin spots are getting darker, but I think I see an orange color. I'll keep applying it the full week until I know for sure, and if I still don't know, I'll apply a test spot to my leg and se what color that is after a week of daily applicaitons.

CCS

Reaction score
I just made my 4th application. Not much of a difference, if any. I'll still give it a week, but I don't think a medium skin tone is enough to stop the contrast. I also wonder if my hair is this see through, if it will be obvious in the sun line that my scalp in brown in front. It would be nice to get a hair colored tanning cream. It seems like unless someone has black hair, it is hard to get that color for a scalp.

CCS

Reaction score
I stopped my scalp application. This is rediculous. They need to put more DHA in it. I'm just going to put it on my thigh for a while to see if I can even get any darkening there.

I was looking at myself in the mirror, though, and think that if I darken my scalp to the color on the bottle, it would hide it very nicely.

chr1s

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey college sorry this didn't work for you. You have brown hair you say? My scalp is veryy WHITE, and my hair is black and I am a little bit of a diffuse thinner. So for me, this product works well. I don't see drastic differences but it does make the scalp shine through less.

You put it on your thigh you say? If you are putting this on your body are you exfoliating the area well? I have somewhat of an uneven color (my chest gets super white) so after 1 application overnight I see a difference on myself. I only put this on a maximum of 3 days in a row because if you keep putting this on every day you will see an orange-ish color. Also, I only exfoliate the first time and not the 2nd or 3rd cuz I might remove the tan. This is not meant to give you an amazingly dark tan, but it's meant to even your skin tone and give you a natural looking glow. For the scalp it just softens the contrast for me. I also wish they had this in a "dark" version but they don't. However, Jergens makes a tanning moisturizer in a "dark" version but I hear that stuff stinks and it's not the same. Go read the reviews on drugstore.com you will see what I'm talking about. it's actually cheaper than the Hawaiian..(I think it's about 4 bux) so if you want to try that one you won't lose out much

CCS

Reaction score
yeah, I have really white legs and chest. I did not see a difference with this stuff. I applied it to just one side of my body for 2 or 3 days. Nothing. I did not exfoliate, though. I'm just getting an normal tan. I don't think 10 minutes in the sun a few times a week will age me much.